Another Wolverine?

We already have three versions of Wolverine in the game, so why add a fourth? Why not a new character, like Green Goblin or Bishop? Or if it had to be a variant of an existing character, why not someone who isn't already represented in multiple classes? Maybe Juggernaut or Venom? They're both classics and should be allowed to legitimately hang with higher rarities without having to be boosted like crazy.

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Wolverine is popular and ties into stuff Marvel is doing in their comics. Just the nature of the biz.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Yeah... I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed myself too. With surfer I was thinking that 5*s would be ultra powerful characters in terms of the canon. Heavy hitters such as Thanos, Adam Warlock, Phoenix, and Nova.

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with Old Man Logan in the comics, but my impression is that he is nowhere near that power level. I know wolverine is popular, but we've already got 3. icon_neutral.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Wolverine is popular and ties into stuff Marvel is doing in their comics. Just the nature of the biz.

Given that this is a 5*, there surely must have been characters that tied into the ongoing event in the comics better than him and were more suited to being a 5* and it is such a shame that instead of somebody different we get yet another Wolverine.
  • And how the heck is Wolverine supposed to go toe to toe with the Silver Surfer?!

In what world is Wolverine cosmic level powered multiple tiers above other characters?!

Come again, Wolverine is the most powerful character in the MPQ universe? Color me confused!

I guess I'm happy for a new 5 star... but sheesh *cradles head in hands*
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Need to make a signature. They've said before, star power is only in terms of cover rarity, not comic universe power.
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Raffoon wrote:
    Yeah... I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed myself too. With surfer I was thinking that 5*s would be ultra powerful characters in terms of the canon. Heavy hitters such as Thanos, Adam Warlock, Phoenix, and Nova.

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with Old Man Logan in the comics, but my impression is that he is nowhere near that power level. I know wolverine is popular, but we've already got 3. icon_neutral.gif

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend reading the graphic novel. So damn good. He's a badass, trust me on this. Really hoping I unlock him soon.

And regarding the star level, we've seen MPQ flub this before (*cough* Elektra *cough*)
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Say it with me now, "Star rating is not indicative of power level".

Also, it might be time to realise that these comic books are a work of fiction; any character can beat any other character if that's what the story calls for. Let's not forget that Squirrel Girl defeated Thanos and manages to single-handedly stop Galactus from destroying Earth.
  • Star rating isn't indicative of power level???

Okay except the star rating directly indicates the power level.

That's what the star rating does, in conjunction with rarity, higher star rating equals higher power equals a stronger character.

So yeah... Or are you trying to say 5 star wolverine isn't stronger than 4 star Professor X? Because he is. In MPQ Wolverine is stronger than Professor X, Thor, and Magneto.

That's freaking ridiculous to me.
  • STOPTHIS
    Crowl wrote:
    STOPTHIS wrote:

Given that this is a 5*, there surely must have been characters that tied into the ongoing event in the comics better than him and were more suited to being a 5* and it is such a shame that instead of somebody different we get yet another Wolverine.

According to whom? Everyone is going to judge is by different standards. For them, better and more suited might mean a popular character that might bring in new players.

D3 has their goals, you have your own tastes. These aren't always going to align. Personally, I'd prefer someone else, but I don't think I could convince them to add Darkhawk.
  • scottee
    Star rating isn't indicative of power level???

That's what the star rating does, in conjunction with rarity, higher star rating equals higher power equals a stronger character.

So yeah... Or are you trying to say 5 star wolverine isn't stronger than 4 star Professor X? Because he is. In MPQ Wolverine is stronger than Professor X, Thor, and Magneto.

Power level in game, yes. Power level in the comic universe, no.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker

You're being obtuse. Star rating in the game has nothing to do with power level IN THE COMICs. It has never been the case for the last 2 years.

Do you really think a 15 year old Ice Man is on the same level as the Goddess of Thunder? Or that Daken is somehow two tiers stronger than Juggernaut?
  • STOPTHIS

They're talking about how comic canonical powers don't equate to in-gaming ranking. An example being, Ant-Man is no way stronger than Doom in the comics, but that means nothing for their star rating. That was just a matter of timing.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I admit that I'm disappointed to find out that we're getting a 5* Wolverine. That said, his in-game abilities are much better than tin head's, imo. So it'll be a hold-my-nose thing if I'm ever fortunate enough to land him in my roster.

Since we're discussing Wolverine here. .. when are we getting the one star.png version? icon_lol.gif
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Although its disappointing for another Wolverine, mostly because they nerfed the 4* version. However I must say that after reading about Old Man Logan, I'm considering purchasing the graphic novel. It looks like a really cool story and if their intent was to spark interest in the upcoming Old Man Logan return to comics then I'm sold.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just imagine some event in which 1*s are buffed to 450.

Yikes.

Juggernaut's self-damage should be high enough to take out his entire team! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I always specified in MPQ universe, not in the comics. I understand that it's not the comics power level.

And yes, I do think a 15 year old Ice Man is on the power level as the Goddess of Thunder in MPQ, because they are the same power level.

I'm not being obtuse. I know that MPQ doesn't reflect the Marvel Universe in the Comics. That's the entire basis of my complaint?

You know, we can feel differently about an issue and it'll be okay. You don't have to argue with me or invalidate my opinions. It's fine for adults to agree to disagree.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the past 40yrs have taught us anything, it's that you can never have enough Wolverine.

wolverineiconic6.jpg
    That's totally going to be the cover for 1* Wolverine (Lame Original).
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    DayvBang wrote:
    That's totally going to be the cover for 1* Wolverine (Lame Original).
    Totally not chosen because it's pretty well impossible to casually collect all the covers (lookin' at you, Spider-Man Original).
  • scottee
    Wolverine also appears in a whole ton of comics. Though I guess that also means we should be asking for more versions of Spidey and Cap.

http://www.comicvine.com/marvel/4010-31/characters/
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's the best there is at what he does...which is print money for Marvel.

(Everyone who hasn't already should read the OML collection; it is really damn good.)