I hate the down times...

My only real complaint with this game (aside from the cheating software that gives the computer all the tiles it needs to beat me when *I* should win icon_e_wink.gif ) is the downtimes when there is no point in playing the event(s) that are running.

Take for example right now--the ISO-8 Brotherhood. In 4 days I have ground (in the truest sense of the word) up to 45,064 points. I have been playing in my free time like 5-7 hours per day over the last 4 days. I got my 3* Storm, so that is cool.

But now, to get my legendary token, I must grind another 37,000 over the next 3 days. During that time, I will be playing at least as much as I have over the last 4, and I will receive--if I don't make it to 82,000--basically no prizes for achieving the various progression points. These will be:

50,000 points -- 500 ISO
57,000 points -- 25 HP
64,500 points -- 2-star token
74,000 points -- 1,000 ISO

I am awash in ISO, so 1,500 ISO is not a significant reward. Heck, I could get that by grinding out a few quick PvP matches against the strawman teams you get at the start of the event. The 25 HP... meh. Not bad, but not great. The 2-star token has about a 1 in 20 chance of not being a 2-star Magneto cover that I will furiously trade in for 250 ISO.

So, the legendary token is it. it is the only thing I can achieve that will be worthwhile for roughly... 15 hours of gameplay.

As for the PvP events, because I don't yet have a single good 3* team, let alone a few of them, PvP is a pointless endeavor. Oh, maybe I'll hop into the start of events to snag some easy ISO and TUs, but that is it. It isn't like my heart is in that because I know I will get up to a few hundred points, and then the 3* and 4* teams will start to beat me bloody. Really great fun to come out of a match having won only to find out that you were beaten by 4 other teams, and you are now 100 points lower than before you started.

So, aside from the 15-20 minutes per day on Deadpool, I am pretty much sitting out the next 3 days.

Hopefully, the next event coming up (the one they have been hyping for weeks) won't be a long grindfest geared for people with 2 maxxed out 4*s plus a SS.

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least you're playing Iso-8. For those of us who had no interest in playing a 7 day event before the Anniversary hit, I'm down to Real Steel and DDQ.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you missing essentials?
    Because there's no way it should take you up to _seven_ hours _per day_ to reach 45K.

I've been doing 3 clears per sub (30 minutes each) plus some change at the end of the subs (another 30 minutes), and have 48K with 2,5 hrs to go in sub 4.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think upping the HP you get for the later progressions would be a good change, not by loads even another 25 would make it feel worth the effort it takes to acquire it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am awash in ISO, so 1,500 ISO is not a significant reward.
    Out of curiosity, how developed is your roster? I am developing my 4* roster and at this point the ISO cannot roll in fast enough - it's nice to get more 4* covers through Legendary tokens, but trying to keep up with leveling everyone is a challenge. Every little bit of ISO helps, both from PvE and PvP.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Out of curiosity, how developed is your roster? I am developing my 4* roster and at this point the ISO cannot roll in fast enough - it's nice to get more 4* covers through Legendary tokens, but trying to keep up with leveling everyone is a challenge. Every little bit of ISO helps, both from PvE and PvP.

I'm tranisitioning into 3* and currently have about 32k in my iso account. I can level some people up but I'm waiting to get more covers for my 3* team rather than waste ISO improving my 2* team (which is at a useable level). I could sure do with some more HP though, got so little roster space I'm trying to decide which 4* to sell since I'm too far away for 4* transition yet
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    My only real complaint with this game is the downtimes when there is no point in playing the event(s) that are running.

I don't yet have a single good 3* team
    Sounds like you haven't developed a good sense of what's worth your time. Anyone without a good 3* team should be hitting every event as hard as they can.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

I'm tranisitioning into 3* and currently have about 32k in my iso account. I can level some people up but I'm waiting to get more covers for my 3* team rather than waste ISO improving my 2* team (which is at a useable level). I could sure do with some more HP though, got so little roster space I'm trying to decide which 4* to sell since I'm too far away for 4* transition yet
    Yeah, this means the ISO drain is just about to start for you. I approve of your strategy though.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am awash in ISO
    Must be nice. What's that like?
  • Without whaling, we've all been at the point where pvp was hard for our roster. Developing players should play every event they have time for. Even if you are only able to beat the seed teams. It gets you on the event reward board. All of the tiny rewards add up to bigger rewards down the line. You may think you are flush with ISO, but after 357 days of playing, I've dropped almost 6 million ISO into my roster, and will need an additional 3.5 million to level my existing roster, and 8.2 million to max my 1-4* roster. You can't run without walking. You will make small improvements to your team, and over time, your final score and rank in the events will grow. You will reach a point when you may wish you had the extra iso or a few more hp to roster the unexpected 4*. Most players have invested a significant amount of time to build their competitive rosters.

Not all events are as prolific as DPD, but the rewards do add up.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not sure how you guys do everything. after a short season of chasing 1300 and playing most of the short pves to the leg (along with one of the long ones - the first - that was stupid), trying to keep up with LRs when I can and getting ddq in every day - I could use a break. I'm even regretting having to hit 1K in the offseason pvps. no way around that though. I finally have a 5* ability at 5 covers with xf black, so I'll get to take it easier next time that one comes up.
  • Quebbster wrote:

Working on 3*s.

Well, not now. No point. If I wanted to do drudgery for hours on end with no rewards, I'd volunteer to work at the homeless shelter.
  • I think upping the HP you get for the later progressions would be a good change, not by loads even another 25 would make it feel worth the effort it takes to acquire it.

Agreed. The way it is set up now, you grind over and over for ever decreasing points.

That is getting old.
  • simonsez wrote:
    My only real complaint with this game is the downtimes when there is no point in playing the event(s) that are running.

I don't yet have a single good 3* team
    Sounds like you haven't developed a good sense of what's worth your time. Anyone without a good 3* team should be hitting every event as hard as they can.

LOL!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

I DO hope that was biting sarcasm and not your genuine belief!
  • DayvBang wrote:
    I am awash in ISO

It is like having 120K ISO with nothing to spend it on. It is almost the the same as having all the covers you want with no ISO, except for the fact that because every event and match yields ISO, and it is the rare match that yields a usable cover, it is not nearly as as good.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    It is like having 120K ISO with nothing to spend it on. It is almost the the same as having all the covers you want with no ISO, except for the fact that because every event and match yields ISO, and it is the rare match that yields a usable cover, it is not nearly as as good.

Enjoy it while you can, because I had the exact same experience. I was mired in the 2-3* transition long enough to casually accumulate 550K ISO before a combination of DDQ and some lucky PvP finishes gave me a usable core team that I could push over level 114. I'm now down to 150K with 2 fully-covered 3* characters at level 153 that will take 36K apiece to push the remaining 13 levels, and I'm not even close to fully covering my (incomplete) 3* roster.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    DayvBang wrote:
    I am awash in ISO

I was awash in ISO at around 450k when they brought price of leveling down...right now I have about 9k. I need so much ISO, I don't know what to do. I need about 8-10 covers to max cover every 3* (some are already max but need to optimally cover), and they are max at level 152 because it takes 34.85k to max them out without getting much of a benefit out of them. I make about 5-10k iso a day thanks to my fb friends and its still not enough. Sadly enough, I haven't even really started my 4* yet...except for HB who is level 210. I have XFW, Fury at 10-11 covers, Electra and IW at 8 covers an all others at less than 6 covers. I dread when I have to sink ISO into them.

With that said, I agree with you about the being hit. When I was a 2* player, I would climb to 300 or a little higher and win a token or cover and be happy because there was no way to get higher. I had heard that people in the 3 and 4* world were building up to 5-600 off the lowly 2* at that time. So when I joined the 3* world, D3 changed all the rules so now I have to face maxed out 3 and 4* from 2 matches after the seed teams. Before you could max out 3-4 3* and ride the wave to high scores, but almost as soon as I transitioned into 3* world, I now have to max out every character because of the weekly buff. I think that I am constantly playing a game 1 step behind the current meta. I would just like to get to a place where I can play with the big boys without the rules changing soon afterwards.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I DO hope that was biting sarcasm and not your genuine belief!
    No, my genuine belief is that someone with no decent 3*s should avoid playing events at all costs, to make sure they don't improve their roster and throw their scaling totally out of whack.

Or maybe THAT was biting sarcasm...

• Well, not now. No point. If I wanted to do drudgery for hours on end with no rewards, I'd volunteer to work at the homeless shelter.

Since you seem to be the type of person that finds no reward in volunteering to help others, wants big rewards for completing easy tasks, and laughs at others for showing a strong work ethic, please pm me your address so I can mail you your trophy of participation.

While I don't think every player has to play every event to enjoy the game, please don't expect to be handed the best rewards without working for them. As a player who plays as hard as I can (when I can) and invests time every day to enjoy the puzzling, collecting, and community of the game, I don't want you to get that legendary token without earning it. I played 10 months before that token was even a reward option, and finally just earned my 13th cover for my first fully covered (although not ideal) 4* on day 356. Previously, the only reward past the 3* cover was placement and the reward of helping your alliance. In the 2-3* transition before DPD, I would play as many lighting rounds and pvp as far as my roster, 5 health packs, and real life schedule would allow; celebrating each new milestone and improvement. It's frustrating to hear someone complain that the rewards should be better because they don't want to play half of the available game. While you feel like it's not enough to keep you from being bored, at what point do you become bored because there is no difference from one team to the next?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Considering the length of these longer pve events, they should fit some more progression rewards into the list e.g. a 2nd 3* cover (or even a 4*) as you would get two from a pair of shorter events.
  • Crowl wrote:
    Considering the length of these longer pve events, they should fit some more progression rewards into the list e.g. a 2nd 3* cover (or even a 4*) as you would get two from a pair of shorter events.

Wish granted...the legendary token.
This discussion has been closed.