never hitting 1000 again?

Benjermain
Benjermain Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
The last 5 times I have been at 970-ish going for 1000, I have been hit for over 100 points while completing the match. This is ridiculous. I can understand getting hit. I can understand getting hit by multiple players while at a high point total. What I can't understand is why both are consistently happening at exactly this point? The first 3 times it happened (Black Panther event going for Prof X cover) were annoying. I missed the cover, spent way too much HP, and still ended at 500 points.

It has happened twice more in Red Shift. Always one win away from 1000. I have read countless posts about the unfairness of being able to lose infinite points while only being able to win one match's worth. And I agree, it is a flawed system. But this? This is beyond the pale. I know other players are not dealing with this. There are nearly 20 players above 1000 in my current bracket, and 3 over 1300.

Has this happened to ANYONE else? Or am I just cursed? This has soured me on the game and turned me from 10K scoring member of a top 100 alliance to a completely casual player only sticking around to see what anniversary week brings.

Comments

• irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    All the time. Welcome to the terrible design of PvP.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Some events are unlucky. Bp event I got hit a lot but made 1k by using an extra shield than I would have liked.

I feel like I come up in qs more for others some events. But I think it's mainly how the majority have featured and boosted covered.

If there are strong boosted you get hit more. I think strong boosted increases casuals participation which brings more big snipes while at high points.

What team are you using in this event?
  • Raisse
    Raisse Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    This is why I've yet to crack 1000. Closest I've gotten was 997, then I lost 200 points during what would have been my final match.

Weird metagame involving shield hopping off alliance members really turns me away from PVP. True PVE like gauntlet is the most fun part of this game.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Benjermain wrote:
    The last 5 times I have been at 970-ish going for 1000, I have been hit for over 100 points while completing the match. This is ridiculous. I can understand getting hit. I can understand getting hit by multiple players while at a high point total. What I can't understand is why both are consistently happening at exactly this point? The first 3 times it happened (Black Panther event going for Prof X cover) were annoying. I missed the cover, spent way too much HP, and still ended at 500 points.

It has happened twice more in Red Shift. Always one win away from 1000. I have read countless posts about the unfairness of being able to lose infinite points while only being able to win one match's worth. And I agree, it is a flawed system. But this? This is beyond the pale. I know other players are not dealing with this. There are nearly 20 players above 1000 in my current bracket, and 3 over 1300.

Has this happened to ANYONE else? Or am I just cursed? This has soured me on the game and turned me from 10K scoring member of a top 100 alliance to a completely casual player only sticking around to see what anniversary week brings.

same im waiting to see what new mode they bring out on anniversasy week if its something i dont want i think i will quit for a while.. Cant blame D3 It gave me a years worth of fun...
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    You probably should shield once you get to one match away from 1k rather than try to do it in one go. It will protect your score & give you time to find a good target to go over the line with only one fight which will minimize you chances of getting hit during that one match shield hop.

Staying unshielded above 900 too long will give time to other players to target you. You need to keep your unshielded time down by doing less fights per shield hop rather than try to go from 800ish to 1k all at once & then falling all the way back to 800ish & shielding without hitting the 1k prize.

You will end up using the same amount of shields (or probably much less really) by doing so but will actually get there rather than get frustrated that your are using precious spideycoin.png without the reward.

Divide & conquer mate! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're over reaching your balance point. You're crossing the threshold where everyone can see you and what they see is, FREE POINTS!

Never play just one more match. Shield, find a good queue, hit it later

Just one more match will bite you every time, every time
  • Benjermain
    Benjermain Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Maybe I've just been lucky until this point, I'm glad other people are dealing with it. Well, not GLAD, but at least commiserating. The frustrating part is not that it happens (although that is pretty sub-optimal as well), but that it happened EVERY time for the last two events. Last event was almost maxed Panther and 250/166 Fistbuster. This event was that and maxed Witch. So it isn't like I'm the MOST tempting target. And even if I am, why is it I'm getting hit ONLY when pushing for those last points.

Oh well, school starts next week so now's a good a time as any to put MPQ away for a while.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    This is my biggest gripe with the game tbf. I have yet to crack that 1k mark because of this crazy (unneeded) overcomplicated hopping system. I am a true f2p player and most my hp goes toward roster slots. I've got almost half my 3* roster maxed in covers and nearly maxed level. Quite a few 4* that are barely covered because I can't hit the sweet spot. I get close, then relentlessly hammered down 100+pts in the time it takes me to do ONE match. It's frustrating as tinykitty. I only try to make a push toward 1k if I have the featured character maxed and good boosted support. I will use a shield or 2 only after I get above 700. Still get screwed.

I'm on day 588. Playing has become of a chore.
  • Afrocigar
    Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Just happened to me today. 26pts away from 1k, come out of a fight, -127

I'm generally nuetral on D3, but this ain't right. Losing points while in a match is no fun! It's happened to me 3 PVP's already.
  • I'm **** done. Twice tonight I broke shield and won a match in less than 3 minutes and still got hit while I was unshielded (the second time twice for -82). ****? HOW?

Switch/GSBW/ProfX, boosted purple x2, all x2, crit x5. Matches were over damn near as fast as they possibly can be. How the **** can TWO people queue me up and hit me in such a short time period???
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    The system itself is not flawed - it does what it was meant to do, which is group players into precentiles, based on their relative roster strength.
    Benjermain wrote:
    I know other players are not dealing with this. There are nearly 20 players above 1000 in my current bracket, and 3 over 1300.

20 players in a 500 player bracket is 4%, and you reached just a skosh below them before making your fatal shield-break. You haven't said what your roster is, but unless you're rocking a Fist-buster or Jean-Buster, I'm gonna guess that Top 4% is probably about right.

One consideration that nobody talks about is that this season seems to be seeing a regression in points. The veterans are saying that the Legendary Token isn't motivating them to push 1300. And the guys who are capable of reaching 1000pts generally don't need the 3* placement rewards, so unless their alliance is competing for Top 100, there's really no reason to stay above 1000 once they get there.

Which leads us to the "breaking the veil" mechanic. I can't find the exact post anymore, but I believe that they said that once you break into the Top 10%, you become visible to all players. Once you break Top 10%, the hits are going to come fast and furious, from all angles.

Higher overall scores doesn't just mean more high value targets. It also means that you can gain more points before you hit the piranha pool. Lower overall points means... Well, the sheer number of threads to pop up on this same old topic in the last week or so means that you know what it means.

I bet that if the devs would offer 4* placement to Top 100, and 3* placement to Top 200, you'd see much higher scores across the board, easier targets offering higher points, and less attacks in general. If you want to rail against a system, why not start instead with the system that only offers what amounts to 3x 500iso for a Top 10 finish.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    The OP did mention that he was running Fistbuster. I think the other thing that is gradually changing in the meta is that we're starting to see a lot of 4* duos (IMHB + Carnage, Jean + IMHB, Thing + XDP, XDP + XFW, Jean + XDP etc), in addition to a lot of boosted Cages running around (who slows down matches significantly when boosted). Compared to that, Fistbuster is actually starting to look like a soft target (which is a strange thought), especially with IF's low health, which means you're probably more likely to get picked on as a target when you weren't before.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, Fistbuster is a nice fast team on offence, but on defence, especially when Iron Fist isn't boosted, it's a very nice soft target. I have found it's one of the easiest higher level teams to beat, and is much more preferable to hit than teams that have Jean Grey or X-force Deadpool.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    This is my biggest gripe with the game tbf. I have yet to crack that 1k mark because of this crazy (unneeded) overcomplicated hopping system. I am a true f2p player and most my hp goes toward roster slots. I've got almost half my 3* roster maxed in covers and nearly maxed level. Quite a few 4* that are barely covered because I can't hit the sweet spot. I get close, then relentlessly hammered down 100+pts in the time it takes me to do ONE match. It's frustrating as tinykitty. I only try to make a push toward 1k if I have the featured character maxed and good boosted support. I will use a shield or 2 only after I get above 700. Still get screwed.

Well, I haven't hit the 1,000 mark yet either and only been playing about a year, so seeing that you have been playing that long and still not able to hit 1,000 definitely tells me that the system is indeed flawed.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kevin61 wrote:

Well, I haven't hit the 1,000 mark yet either and only been playing about a year, so seeing that you have been playing that long and still not able to hit 1,000 definitely tells me that the system is indeed flawed.

Either the player is flawed or the system is flawed or maybe both. I agree there is a flaw somewhere!
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Benjermain wrote:
    [..]
    Has this happened to ANYONE else? Or am I just cursed?
    [..].
    replace 1000 with 800, and its the same for me.
    i was close several times, my best score was 798.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, being punished for winning, the most idiotic aspect of PvP. Happens all the time. I had a thread in suggestions a while back that talked about giving you a free 1 minute shield, and negating point losses during a win. If you lose, you still get hit hard. Anyway, that didn't go anywhere.
  • I don't disregard any of the previous post, but no one has mentioned or barely mentioned the other facet of this thatss a bit more 'plain as day' to see...

It's WHO'S BOOSTED.

We aren't talking a boosted loki, where the matches slow to a terrible crawl. The OP mentioned the BP event, where he was hitting for 6k to whole teams EASY, and with HT, you could PLOW through teams SO friggin quickly.

The other event - is SWitch, who in my estimation is mostly covered by more experienced players and more aggressive players, she's food for the elite, so the elite have covered her and lvled her, while the rest of the player base has a few covers of her or hasn't bothered to sink ISO into her. Not only that, it means a LOT of the teams are going to be FAST and efficient. We aren't talking a random hodgepodge of characters like Switch/HulkCapA. These were teams with high boosted offense via HT, a second battery via IF, sometimes strong defense in a boosted Cage who is doing upwards of 750 dmg per AP. These weren't slouch teams, these were teams that can steamroll

So sure, there are some of the "become the hunted" angles being exposed, I know the feeling, I was trapped at 950 pts before, others have stated already what to do (though I will add if you leave a match and have lost a match, immediately shield, most likely there are other people fighting you at the same time and you will lose additional pts immediately), but I really "feel" and "see" this as also a factor of the characters.

Iceman will be practically a 2 character match for most, with Cyc and Loki most likely being heavy, those wil lbe much slower matches.
    - Unreall
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler

We hit each other a couple times in the Red Shift PVP. I am also true F2P. I have never spent a cent on the game. The only time I missed 1000 in the last 4 seasons is because I decided before hand that I wouldn't go for it due to real life priorities. That was 3 times total. The rest, I have hit 1000 (and 1300 3 times). I finished Red Shift at 1095 and spent a total of 225 HP. Subtract the 100 that I gained in progression, the 100 I gained from being top 10, and the 50-100 I will gain from alliance rewards and BAM - I still come out HP positive. HP does not need to be a problem in PVP for F2P players. Getting in a good alliance helps a ton. And knowing when to go for 1000 and how to race to it helps a ton. Maybe I will start a thread on it.
  • Obviously a lot depends on roster strength, but getting to 1000 doesn't require carefully planned shield hopping. If you're able to get to 997, you can get to 1000. The key thing is, when you're at 997, to shield, wait for some retaliations to come through (~30mins-1hr), then queue up the easiest team that will get you over 1000.

If you can't beat 1 team after breaking your shield before getting hit for "hundreds of points", the issue isn't the system, but your character choices. If you played 3 matches to get to 997 and are trying one more because you don't want to "waste HP", you can't blame the system for being greedy. Try shielding when you're one match away from 1000 and play your last match after an hour and you'll get to your 1000!