So, about that token at 1300...

simonsez
simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Shard1 of the first PvP of the season just completed, and things didn't play out like I expected. I'm wondering if the devs expected differently as well. In the past, when the 1300 award was a cover a lot of people needed, it wasn't unusual to hit 1300 and not even make T25. I figured people would be chasing these tokens just as hard, but that didn't happen. Depending on brackets I've seen, only 6-10 people hit 1300. Folks are making it pretty clear that they're happy to spend on shields when they know what they're getting, but for a **** shoot, many are making the calculated decision that it's just not worth it.

The result isn't good for anyone: it's slowing the 4* transition for players, and for the devs, players aren't spending nearly as much on shields as they used to. I'd like to suggest restoring the 1300 award to a specific cover, preferably a newer one, and either putting the token in between 1000 and 1300, or putting it at 1000 if three 4*s per event is too much. You need to give people a reason to spend to hit 1300, and it doesn't look like the token is enough of an inducement.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in slice 2 and my bracket leader has over 1500 points while number 2 has 1400. Numbers 3-6 are within hopping distance of 1300.
    ...maybe you just picked a dry slice?
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    As I suggested in a previous post, they could give us the option to choose (for the 1.3 reward) between a legendary token and a specific (cycling) cover.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Slowing the 4* transition isn't a bad thing, you know.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I had a mini debate w/ my alliance last night. One alliance mate believed low scores are due to players trying to land in fresh/easier season brackets. MY argument is that players are LESS INCLINED to push to 1.3 this season, now that they see legendary tokens can be obtained via pve events, weekly ddqs, and even season progression. So the casuals will not push as hard as last season, leaving only the hard core pvp alliances reaching 1.3 (and beyond). Thus, I expect the middle class of scorers (600-800 range) to almost disappear, and make it difficult for non-organized players to reach 1.3 this season.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    I'm in slice 2 and my bracket leader has over 1500 points while number 2 has 1400. Numbers 3-6 are within hopping distance of 1300.

all the players with those scores in s2 belong to the same alliance, which will usually score that high no matter what (even if IW would have been awarded at 1.3).

everyone else in s2 is way below 1.3. Being a regular in s2, I can confirm the feeling of simonesz. The ongoing pve is a factor to be considered too, in any case. Lot of folks are focusing on it. For placement or to get the legendary token...
  • Quebbster
    donietsche wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

all the players with those scores in s2 belong to the same alliance, which will usually score that high no matter what (even if IW would have been awarded at 1.3).

everyone else in s2 is way below 1.3. Being a regular in s2, I can confirm the feeling of simonesz. The ongoing pve is a factor to be considered too, in any case.
    Hadn't considered that. I just figure high scores trickle down to the rest, but I'll defer to your experience.
  • simonsez
    Quebbster wrote:
    S1 is always strong, and if you're seeing 6 people at or close to 1300, you're seeing exactly what I said I saw; which is way fewer people than you see at 1300 when the award is a good cover.
  • simonsez
    Blahahah wrote:
    Pretty sure you're the first person who's said that.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Before the season started I decided I'm only going to 1300 if I need the 1k cover. I'm not expending resources on a cover I don't need and a ?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I typically dedicate a little time to hit 1300 if it's a cover I can use, new character pve or not. Finding it a little hard to find the energy for a coin flip. Would rather have that last IW* green I need to respec her to 355 than a more than 50% chance to get more iso, or likely as not another cover for my 3/2/2 duplicate HB. Like fmtint, there's a distinct chance I won't bother with 1300 if I don't need the cover at 1000, especially with the necessary pve commitment.

*People who have the misfortune to hang out where I can natter at them know about my ongoing struggle with IW, who loves me not. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

I don't mean it in the way that it should be slowed, per se.
    However they did announce some changes to the characters, buffs and the like.

Slowing the transition might be good just so the sample size is smaller when the changes come through.
    Easier to control the output.
  • Quebbster
    simonsez wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    S1 is always strong, and if you're seeing 6 people at or close to 1300, you're seeing exactly what I said I saw; which is way fewer people than you see at 1300 when the award is a good cover.
    I used to pick slice 1 when I wanted the 1300 point progression, but it dried up for me a while ago. Been trying different slices, this is my first time in slice 2 though.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would love to get those 1300 point tokens, but the buff schedule and my roster aren't playing well together this week. I only have 4 of the 4* fully covered, so the tokens are pretty appealing to me.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:

This is not true so long as demiurge releases a new 4* every 2 weeks.
  • Arctic_One
    Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Definately not. I think the 4* transition is a bit too easy atm. The easier it is for the top players to reach a 4* roster then the harder it will be for the newer players to reach a 3* roster as these players will need to find ways to win rewards vs a dominant roster.

Meaning, more than a few people are looking at it as, a decent 3* roster can beat 4* teams 30-50% of the time so they will slowly catch up BUT....
    If I am still trying to create a 3* roster that means my best teams are still 2* characters..........
    2* teams cannot & should not be able to beat 4* teams.
    Thus, the gap grows.
    Hopefully the devs have a plan in the works to allow newer players to grow their rosters without needing to face overly dominant teams.

I am at the point where my 3* roster is filling out with 1/2 or more at max levelled and 1/4 just needing iso and the last 1/4 are needing a few covers + iso and I still dont find it 'easy' to get 4* rewards.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because it is a token, I'm not going for 1300. If they changed the t2 pve to a token, like they said might happen, IceIX did say it was subject to change, I'd probably stop trying to Top 2 my PVE bracket. Too much effort for too much risk, not worth the potential of a 5*. Might be biased because 2 of my Legendary tokens have given me covers for my X-Force Wolverine dupe, green and yellow. If I wasnt building dupes, would be a lot less OK with pulling those.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Slice one was eating itself alive yesterday. Boosted BP is like having liquid courage on a night out, so people were swinging at everything. I barely got my token before server lag knocked me down and out.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I have a bunch of 4* that need covers, so I don't mind the random draw aspect here. I won't be super happy if I just open, HB, JG, XF, IW but I can deal with it.

My biggest concern is getting the chances at the 5*. I'm definitely waiting for the next one to be introduced before I open anything. You're going to need those to compete soon and there are going to be lot of haves and have-nots.

Jeez, I already saw a 9 cover lvl 390 surfer on someone's roster! That is a lot of cash right there.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    donietsche wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

everyone else in s2 is way below 1.3. Being a regular in s2, I can confirm the feeling of simonesz. The ongoing pve is a factor to be considered too, in any case.
    Hadn't considered that. I just figure high scores trickle down to the rest, but I'll defer to your experience.

High scores absolutely trickle down, but players need to be motivated to take them. It's the difference between 5 people hitting the shield of a high scorer and 20 people hitting the shield of a high scorer. The increased activity of the second one injects more points into the shard. Without motivation of a large number of players, you don't get the critical mass you need to make a rich shard.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Blahahah wrote:

Seriously? 4* transition is near nonexistent as is. I'm not so sure its even possible to slow it much more.