A frightening look into the future

Options
DaveR4470
DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I know not many people actually bother with this.... but you really should go try the season XIX-screen "test drive" node featuring a maxed (level 449!!!) Silver Surfer. He's up, solo, against a team of L270 HB/Jean/Carnage.

47,150 health.

I DARE you to somehow lose that node..... I think it might actually be impossible.

This is the future of PvP. Be afraid....

Comments

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yep. They did a phenomenal job of proving in one fell swoop just how worthless every single character in the game really is. Except, you know...the $25,000 one.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Keep in mind that you are playing as a fully maxed 5* character. It will be quite a while before more than a small handful of players have anything close to that.

It isn't like you'll be forced to face matches like that constantly to compete.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    brisashi wrote:
    Keep in mind that you are playing as a fully maxed 5* character. It will be quite a while before more than a small handful of players have anything close to that.

There was a FB post floating around where someone had 9 already (claimed to spend $5k, and was upset with 9 to boot). Otherwise I think 5 is the most I've seen.

Definitely exceeded my expectations, thought for sure there'd be a max one by now. I'd bet once Christmas bonuses roll around, so a couple of months.

Devs said they'll address it if he starts dominating, but yeah, anyone who gets lucky/wealthy is gonna have a laughable time in PvP.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    brisashi wrote:

True, but it's not like you will face Surfer all by his lonesome either. Even a Surfer with a handful of covers and levels into the 300's will be a terror when combined with a decent 4* in PVP. Like another poster said, Surfer (or other 5*) will essentially be a nearly free shield against most players, So while there won't be too many maxxed 5* in the near term, it may only take a 5-7 cover version to be a terror against 99.5% of all other players.

But, 5* are here so unless Devs start boosting 4* even more or release some 4* characters that specifically blunt some of the 5* abilities (unlikely) there's not much to be done about it.
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The scariest part is the person that has that high surfer also has maxxed out fistbuster and just about everyone else.
  • A few Tacos have been hit by this dude running around Shard 1 with no alliance and a maxed Silver Surfer. He's most likely a player who has yet to be sandboxed (he was reported this morning, so we will see). But if he is Legit...yeah, that's pretty much all she wrote.

marc
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    brisashi wrote:
    It will be quite a while before more than a small handful of players have anything close to that.
    True, but after playing the test battle, I don't see any reason for this thing to exist in the first place...
  • simonsez wrote:
    brisashi wrote:
    It will be quite a while before more than a small handful of players have anything close to that.
    True, but after playing the test battle, I don't see any reason for this thing to exist in the first place...
    To get some dough before shutting the game down? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    Options
    As a personal challenge, I won it with match damage only.

And was still at 36k health at the end.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was purposely doing match 5s. It was kind of cool that he can laugh in jeans face as he shrugs off her stun.

Reminds me of a surfer infinity gauntlet crossover where he no sells a she hulk punch and then remarks to captain america, "I believe this young woman bumped into me".
  • SuperSkrull
    SuperSkrull Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    thisone wrote:
    I was purposely doing match 5s. It was kind of cool that he can laugh in jeans face as he shrugs off her stun.

Reminds me of a surfer infinity gauntlet crossover where he no sells a she hulk punch and then remarks to captain america, "I believe this young woman bumped into me".

1286963-assivlulnrr.jpg
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I know not many people actually bother with this.... but you really should go try the season XIX-screen "test drive" node featuring a maxed (level 449!!!) Silver Surfer. He's up, solo, against a team of L270 HB/Jean/Carnage.

47,150 health.

I DARE you to somehow lose that node..... I think it might actually be impossible.

Instead of being excited, playing that node made me sad. Now that I have all the 3*s fully covered and more than half the 4*s fully covered, I know that the days of enjoying all of these different character combos are numbered. I really like iceman's power set, but it's hard to get excited for a character that will be obsolete in a few months, when at the high end, people be using silversurfer/whocares/whocares. At least with 4* teams, you can throw in a 3* character that really compliments the combo. With 5*s you can down characters like PX and hood with match damage alone in a handful of turns.

In PvP you'll be forced to use your 5* if you have him at the high end, taking us back to the xf/4hor days. And in PvE, heck, you could probably solo that horrible ultron/loki/shulk node with silver surfer alone. Would you even care who your other teammates are?
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Surfer is going to be nerfed eventually and we all know it. It's only a question of maximizing profit until everyone in the top 30 has him. I give it six, eight months.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sky.jpg
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    thisone wrote:

1286963-assivlulnrr.jpg

Burn Level: BBQ'ed
  • GMadMan040
    Options
    Just played my first round with him. I appreciate that the node exists, because I could use the tiny bit of ISO scraps that serve as the rewards.

But seriously, max level or not, that a single character could effortlessly wipe 3 of the top tier characters (maybe not Carnage, but he deals a lot of damage) that are only a single rarity level below him is crazy.

IMHB is generally considered the best 4* character in the game. Sure there are some arguments that could be made for someone else, but he is an easy example point. It's just my take, but I think the best 3* team out there is IF, Luke Cage & Scarlet Witch. Feel free to trade in Cyclops for Luke Cage if you want. Whatever the case, this 3* team at max level and appropriately covered is not going to get crushed by IMHB or any other 4* character running solo. I'm not saying they can't be beat, but full-power SS manhandles any 4* team out there. All by his lonesome.

That is WAY out of alignment with the rest of the game.

(I acknowledge that SS deserves to be immensely powerful, it is his nature as a character. However, this is something that should sit within the paradigm of the game. Not outside of it.)
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Enoc99 wrote:
    As a personal challenge, I won it with match damage only.

And was still at 36k health at the end.

Sounds like you were unlucky then. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His abilities are scary enough on his own, but the match damage when its his colours is insane. 1500 dmg... really???
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:

47,150 health.

I lost the first time I tried, actually. Granted I wasn't paying super close attention and won the 2nd try easily, but I wasn't exactly throwing the match either.
  • You guys do realize this isn't really that different from a level 150 team going against a 395 hulk, the only difference is this time, we're controlling the over leveled boss?

Considering how difficult it would be to get a capped Surfer, I suspect the doom and gloom is unwarranted.