A frightening look into the future

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Haetron wrote:
    You guys do realize this isn't really that different from a level 150 team going against a 395 hulk, the only difference is this time, we're controlling the over leveled boss?

Considering how difficult it would be to get a capped Surfer, I suspect the doom and gloom is unwarranted.

Level 150 teams don't face a 395 Hulk in PvP.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Haetron wrote:
    You guys do realize this isn't really that different from a level 150 team going against a 395 hulk, the only difference is this time, we're controlling the over leveled boss?

Considering how difficult it would be to get a capped Surfer, I suspect the doom and gloom is unwarranted.
    Not only that, but as we've stated before, match damage/health isn't linear. There's WAY more difference between a 200 vs 300 and a 350 vs 450. What you're seeing here is a few 270s sitting at the lower part of that curve and a 450 sitting at the top end. In between is a bit of a steep climb.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Yep. They did a phenomenal job of proving in one fell swoop just how worthless every single character in the game really is. Except, you know...the $25,000 one.
    In all fairness, the majority of the player base wanted 4* tier to completely trounce 3* tier in a poll I posted on these forums a while back.
    Looks like 5* tier is just giving people what they want.

The big caveat here being the announced buff to 4* tier. We have no idea if this will be a major buff or just another 10% buff or what.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Not only that, but as we've stated before, match damage/health isn't linear. There's WAY more difference between a 200 vs 300 and a 350 vs 450. What you're seeing here is a few 270s sitting at the lower part of that curve and a 450 sitting at the top end. In between is a bit of a steep climb.

I don't see how the shape of the curve really matters. Linear, exponential or squiggly -- the end result is the same: once there are some covered five-stars in the wild, the three- and four- stars that we've built are just digital garbage. It is what it is, but that's the reality. Maybe it's tomorrow, maybe it's in a few months, but it's pretty clear.

I'm looking at my roster with Raistlin Majere's eyes... all I see is dust.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    teknofyl wrote:
    I don't see how the shape of the curve really matters. Linear, exponential or squiggly -- the end result is the same: once there are some covered five-stars in the wild, the three- and four- stars that we've built are just digital garbage. It is what it is, but that's the reality. Maybe it's tomorrow, maybe it's in a few months, but it's pretty clear.

That's assuming that 4*s stay at the status quo and are not buffed in any way, which isn't going to be the case. Much like Raistlin, 4*s will be able to aspire to godhood too, for a short time.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:

That's assuming that 4*s stay at the status quo and are not buffed in any way, which isn't going to be the case. Much like Raistlin, 4*s will be able to aspire to godhood too, for a short time.

Okay but after the 4*'s get their buffs to be somewhat competitive against the 5*, what happens to the 3* tier? I said this in a separate discussion but could we expect an overall Character Level Shift like we experienced last year in anticipation of the upcoming 4*'s (viewtopic.php?style=1&f=13&t=10736)?
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    IceIX wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:

But... That didn't end so good for Raistlin.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    This node should be a heck of a good source for team-ups. Unless it doesn't give any...
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    I'd bet once Christmas bonuses roll around, so a couple of months.
    there is something deeply saddening about imagining someone spending his or her Christmas bonus pumping stark salaries into the slot and manically opening tokens...
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    I won the thing on I think the... 5th or 6th turn?

Being immune to stun and a favorable board, I got a 3crit chain of red red black which chewed through IMHB, and Jean couldn't do a thing about it. Then I blasted her and ate through carnage for lunch.
  • icon_rolleyes.gif 6* said hi.
  • There was a FB post floating around where someone had 9 already (claimed to spend $5k, and was upset with 9 to boot). Otherwise I think 5 is the most I've seen.
    Definitely exceeded my expectations, thought for sure there'd be a max one by now. I'd bet once Christmas bonuses roll around, so a couple of months.
    Devs said they'll address it if he starts dominating, but yeah, anyone who gets lucky/wealthy is gonna have a laughable time in PvP.

I would think the smart whales would wait until 5* has 10% drop rate for a 5* before dropping the big bucks. For the same cost of one SS now, you would get 2-for-1 if you wait.
    I'm sort of surprised how many people in general and in my alliance are opening the Legendary tokens knowing full well the odds will be better soon.
    I saw one of my alliance members open all their tacos the day before Legendary token was added to the vault.

I'm hoping patience pays off.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I'm sort of surprised how many people in general and in my alliance are opening the Legendary tokens knowing full well the odds will be better soon.
    I saw one of my alliance members open all their tacos the day before Legendary token was added to the vault.

I'm hoping patience pays off.

I'm guessing it depends on what you want out of the tokens. In my point in time I'd rather have the opprtunity to add to a 4* rather than hosting a lone 5*. As long as SS is alone that extra 5% of 4* is a boon for me.

On the other hand I have yet to spend a taco token since the vault was introduced.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    The big thing is immunity to stun, I think. I can beat the 395 Hulk easily with lvl 94 character since I can build a stun lock machine while he slowly winds up (his anger doesn't proc for a loooooong time in that match). Also, his match damage isn't 1500 icon_e_confused.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would think the smart whales would wait until 5* has 10% drop rate for a 5* before dropping the big bucks. For the same cost of one SS now, you would get 2-for-1 if you wait.

Have the devs confirmed it will be 5% per each 5* anywhere as it could just as easily be left at 5% in total to draw one even after they add another character.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I know not many people actually bother with this.... but you really should go try the season XIX-screen "test drive" node featuring a maxed (level 449!!!) Silver Surfer. He's up, solo, against a team of L270 HB/Jean/Carnage.

47,150 health.

I DARE you to somehow lose that node..... I think it might actually be impossible.

This is the future of PvP. Be afraid....

This is my 1,000th post ... whoooooo ... and I am using it to admit that I actually managed to get Surfer killed icon_lol.gif

How?

Board was green, purple, and TU. Lead to massive cascade in the AI's favor. Even with his great match damage, Surfer was done in. Wasn't able to fire a single power. Still, took out HB and Jean. Couldn't get to Carnage, or match away the strikes Jean left behind.

If he can't heal, he CAN be worn down. If he can't fire his beams, you might survive long enough to do it.

That aside, I played it 2 other times, and yeah, finished at 95+% health, thanks to the heal. If Surfer gets any favorable cascade, it's out of hand.
    Hulkbuster commited suicide when i tried it,i didnt blame him!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    First time I tried: no characters selected, don't have SS so couldn't choose anyone.
    Second time I tried: SS selected, but named "Psylocke" with her level. I tried to hit "fight", wouldn't let me in.
    Third time I tried: finally in!

It's nice to play this node - like trying the 4*'s, when I think to myself "I can try that again in maybe 12 - 18 months!"....except now it makes me think "I'll never be able to try that again, and once I start facing these in -every single PVP- I'm going to quit the game!". Hoping they either ban these from PVP or make tier PVP's where I can run 3*/ (unbuffed?) 4* and slowly earn 5*'s before jumping into the crazy 5* tier, where others might as well not exist.

I get 4*'s are going to be buffed...but most buffed 3*'s don't hold up very well in unbuffed 4* land. Higher leveled 4*'s would only make the 3*'s even more irrelevant, it would seem only tiers of PVP would make the (is it 30?) 3*'s still used/usable. God help us all in sim.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Now, our latest hero, one "Silver Surfer", is thrown into battle with not one, but three foes of similar might, all by lonesome, and denied his God-given right to a team-up ....

Carnage, Jean and Hulkbuster would only be "of similar might" if they were buffed to the Surfer's level. As it stands, he can take them apart with horrifying ease...
  • Haetron wrote:

I easily beat lv395 Hulk with lv202 Thorrina, lv155 Blade, lv155 Iron Fist (all buffed obviously).

Try beating a max level 5/5/5 Surfer with a buffed Jean Grey/Iceman, Hulkbuster, Prof X

Absolutely could do it, 3 on 1. Not 100% win rate mind you, but that team has all the tools to down Surfer, it just lacks the intelligence. Which is why the AI loses fights when it's running double level people solo against you.
  • I played that node once, and it made me want to quit playing forever.

It's called, "The Worf Effect," on tvtropes.com. In any episode of Star Trek: TNG, all the enemy needed to do was take out Worf, the resident badass, to show us how much tougher they were than anything the good guys could throw at them.

So they took three of the worst opponents in the game, maxed their levels, and then showed us that the best characters in the game, fighting at their best, have no hope against Silver Surfer.

Who's the best 4* of all time? Pre-nerf X-Force? Hulkbuster? Iceman with a lot of blue on the board? Who cares? Three 3*s at max level could beat that character by himself. Three 4*s can't harm Silver Surfer. That's a real problem.

I really wanted to collect the 4*'s and make them strong. Now I've learned there's really no point to that. It's worse than when they nerfed 4Thor. They just reduced all the 4*'s to 3* status.

And they haven't reduced the price yet. What's up with that? If you're going to make 4*'s weak, at least make them cheap. Yeah, it's easier to get purple tokens. Ish. But why 2500 Hero Points? It's just not worth that anymore.