Creepiest character art yet?

Options
13»

Comments

• Billigoat
    Options
    dude is a really good artist, no doubt about it, but he has a certain style.
    Just gotta call out the "dude" reference... Art departments are one of the only places in the video game industry where men and women have equal footing. Should probably keep gender-neutral in the future unless you know for sure icon_e_smile.gif
    Where his style doesn't work is with the less human looking characters.
    I agree completely. Some of the art in this game is fantastic, and really it's what gets me excited every time a new character comes out. It's fun to see a "realistic" approach the artists take with the characters. But I think that might be why people are upset here, is because the artist didn't take enough liberties in making this their own, and a direct translation of the comic look to a realistic look is sort of terrifying icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yep, creepy and lame art.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Billigoat wrote:
    dude is a really good artist, no doubt about it, but he has a certain style.
    Just gotta call out the "dude" reference... Art departments are one of the only places in the video game industry where men and women have equal footing. Should probably keep gender-neutral in the future unless you know for sure icon_e_smile.gif
    Where his style doesn't work is with the less human looking characters.
    I agree completely. Some of the art in this game is fantastic, and really it's what gets me excited every time a new character comes out. It's fun to see a "realistic" approach the artists take with the characters. But I think that might be why people are upset here, is because the artist didn't take enough liberties in making this their own, and a direct translation of the comic look to a realistic look is sort of terrifying icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Dude is not gender specific though it is most commonly used in reference to men in the American culture.

Dictionary.com definition of Dude
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Should of just copy Silver Surfer art and make blue...

102171394.jpg
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't mind creppy. Creepy is cool. Ditko's Spider-man was creepy-looking. Same with the Thing of the early classic Fantastic four issues.

What I dislike in general is when a character is radically redesigned, usually in very stylized fashion, just for the sake of distinction or marketing. I hated Todd McFarlane's Spider-man for that reason. Gave me the impression that the comic was all about the artist's ego and not the title character.

This Iceman looks like a kid in puberty. He also looks like a cool, fun, extrovert and a likable character. To me he looks too much like it was designed by the marketing department. In the nineties they would have added a bandana.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    [Edit]Also no eyebrows. No eyebrows always makes a character look uncanny valley, even in real life.
    What do you mean?

2465_saimihoyer_250.jpg

(She's a fashion model icon_eek.gif )
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    [Edit]Also no eyebrows. No eyebrows always makes a character look uncanny valley, even in real life.
    What do you mean?

2465_saimihoyer_250.jpg

(She's a fashion model icon_eek.gif )

And a pretty creepy one. Trust me, eyebrows are the windows to the soul.

Angelina-Jolie-is-growing-old.-Look-at-how-she-would-look-like-without-eyebrows.jpeg
    ubbtzcidf9fszaga5icf.jpg
    noeyebrows.jpg
  • Billigoat
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Dude is not gender specific though it is most commonly used in reference to men in the American culture.

Guess you're right. You learn something new every day... still, "dude" paired with "he" is pretty gender-specific icon_e_wink.gif
  • I heard this art is based on one of the developers
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is who I was immediately reminded of, from Shooting Stars, I present to you Matt Lucas as George Dawes:

102455819.jpg
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Billigoat wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Guess you're right. You learn something new every day... still, "dude" paired with "he" is pretty gender-specific icon_e_wink.gif

I'm a dude, I'm wired up to assume a faceless person is a dude until I find otherwise. Not sure if the opposite is true for women.
  • Omega Red wrote:
    I don't mind creppy. Creepy is cool. Ditko's Spider-man was creepy-looking. Same with the Thing of the early classic Fantastic four issues.

Yeah, but I think those characters were designed with creepy in mind. Or, at least, they build themselves around the look (kinda hard to tell with the Marvel Method-era books). Spider-Man was the contrarian hero: money problems, no luck with women, "menace to society", etc. You'd want him to look like he doesn't quite belong. Same with the Thing; his whole mindset was that his life was ruined by the test flight, and the look adds to that.

Iceman is basically the other end of the spectrum in that his predominant trait is being a prankster. It's certainly possible to do "looks creepy but is actually fun-loving." But most of the good examples I can think of are creepy in a non-human way (e.g. Nightcrawler looking like a devil), rather than Iceman's "overgrown baby" look.

Looking at it more, the other thing that gets me is the body language. He's staring directly into your soul with his lifeless eyes, cocking his arm back* like he's going to launch it at your throat and grab the breath right out of it, and grinning like he just spotted a juicy steak. It's like he's an actual icy specter of death coming for you. I dunno, maybe I'm just reading too much into this and projecting my own fears of mortality. Though, that'd definitely explain why I'm so unnerved.

* I tried to mimic the pose he's making with his left hand and felt like I was going to dislocate something. Not really sure when someone would actually bend their fingers that way.