Malcrof wrote:
    Billigoat wrote:

All-New-X-Men-New-Costumes-042115-Dragonlord.jpg

Why is JG touching herself...

Because she can.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait till his pvp, where you get to see him blown up to StayPuft proportions on your event screen. He might just stand there staring at you.... or you might have his bum in your face while he touches his snowballs...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's the eyes, for me.
    Sure the creepy smile isn't helping, but those bluey-black eyes look too alien. If they'd made them frosty like Storm it would have worked better.

[Edit]Also no eyebrows. No eyebrows always makes a character look uncanny valley, even in real life.
  • Yeah. The first time I saw the art in the game I immediately got a vibe of those cute babyface piranha aliens in the middle of the Galaxy Quest movie. Ugh. So disappointed. Iceman's been a personal favorite character ever since that old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends Saturday morning cartoon way back when.

Not that the art is unprofessional in any way. Very well executed. But the final look is a major turn off and now I don't even know if I want him on my roster. Sigh. Is there any way the devs could put in an option to turn off character portraits and power animations?
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    herbal wrote:
    But the final look is a major turn off and now I don't even know if I want him on my roster. Sigh. Is there any way the devs could put in an option to turn off character portraits and power animations?

Agreed.

Maybe this is all a purposeful prelude to a microtransactioned costume system! icon_e_biggrin.gif#Icegate

I'd personally spend some HP just to inject Icefreak with some of Muhammad's "goo", a la South Park 200/201:

STH_PARK-420x0.jpg
  • Billigoat
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Don't like it at all... time for a facelift like they did Steve Rogers... and are the rumors of another butt pose true too?
    Behold:

55f99d3c96bc4.jpg

Cyclops has got a run for his money icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A and C really need some pants...
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:

C is totally wearing a banana hammock, that's not enough coverage for you? Prude.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

C is totally wearing a banana hammock, that's not enough coverage for you? Prude.

What is up with the random phallic icicles in the far right of that pic..
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why does his face look girly?
  • Deadpool369
    Deadpool369 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    It looks like he has a man thong on that matches his skin color
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just be happy his leg is placed as it is in E.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This entire thread makes me laugh.. I really hope the sound effects are as corny as the art... this is still a game, and any reason to laugh, or even grimace a little is well appreciated.

Also, they got his abilities pretty much spot on.. so if the only thing we can find wrong is the art.. i say Bravo D3!

Still.. he is 1 step away from an NC-17 rating icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif
  • orz

tybUPm.jpg
  • I think we're seeing the uncanny valley* at work here. He's so close to human that we're processing him as human, and the differences there are make him look freaky. Instead of looking like a dude covered in ice (which would put our vision in a more fantastical context) he looks like a dude with some variant of albinism. He's not really reflecting any light like you would expect ice to do. And some of the odd, off-model decisions (demon eyes instead of blank/white eyes, complete lack of hair, very soft "snowy" body instead of a sharp "icy" body) just add more inhumanity to it. It's like someone took the old "snowman" Iceman from the Jack Kirby but went for "realism" over "wonder."

*I tried to make lame joke about Uncanny X-Men Valley... but I got nothin'.
  • Tagstar87
    Tagstar87 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Billigoat wrote:

Because she can.

'Merica
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DreadL0rd wrote:
    orz

tybUPm.jpg

so there was concept art of him with hair.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Billigoat wrote:

They just got the new costumes and she's checking it out.

[Boring answer from someone who's read that issue.]
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Even this old-timey vampire has more eyebrows icon_e_surprised.gif

Nosferatu-6.jpg
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's like someone took the old "snowman" Iceman from the Jack Kirby but went for "realism" over "wonder."

I find that's an issue with the artist they have.
    dude is a really good artist, no doubt about it, but he has a certain style. His style is quite realistic with a pretty strong grasp of anatomy (insane muscular builds not withstanding. Still, more believable than anything Liefeld came up with).

Where his style doesn't work is with the less human looking characters. It started off with Squirrel Girl, a character who's kinda freaky looking due to her being a cartoony human. The wide mouth and individually shaded teeth give her an unnatural look. If you cover up her mouth and just look at the eyes, she's kinda cute.

It's kinda the same deal with Ice Man. I agree with everything you said, I'm not sure what iceman is made of. Even the comic book art isn't that great, IMO. Pretty scrappy ink and pretty basic shading, no sense of material other than "whitish-blue human".
    I know ice is not easy to depict, especially with how the light reflects around and such. Doing a transparent character in this kind of game is impossible with how they cut out their art (look at the shine on Elektra's sais for example).

I mean, I wasn't expecting this.
    icemanTransform.JPG

But at the same time I wasn't expecting pale, creepy, alien teenager baby thing. Then again, I shoulda figured it wouldn't look like the movie version of Iceman since Marvel's not one for promoting those movies with merchandise and such.

The least you coulda done was give us this.
    1bite.jpg
    Actually...maybe that's where Squirrel Girl's smile comes from...