Most/Least Used Characters

Options

Comments

• Puritas wrote:
    How on earth is Capt America that high??

IceIX has said in the past that he is just a popular character. Some people would rather play who they like over who is better. I was surprised by BagMan, but he did have that tournament boost. Plus some people swear by him for PvE.
  • starsrift wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Just did a quick run on the numbers for the last 30 days. Note that there are tons of variables for usage, so this raw dump doesn't really show off things like Iron Man being used by every player that starts the game, or the fact that Daredevil has only been out a short time, or that characters featured in Tournies will jump up the rankings, or any number of other things.

That's actually really cool, thx IceIX!
    It'd be nice to come back a full month after the Thorverine nerf and see if Wolv and Thor still place so highly, for all the wailing we've seen over them. I suspect they'll still be in the top 10, if not the top 5...

I suspect that people are still using Thorverine because they are the only level 85 characters they have and having a nerfed level 85 is better than a non-nerfed level 50.
  • deano128 wrote:
    He wasnt allowed in In the Heroic....not for me anyway..

Yeah, good catch, my mistake. I thought I edited it before anyone noticed. icon_e_wink.gif

• I suspect that people are still using Thorverine because they are the only level 85 characters they have and having a nerfed level 85 is better than a non-nerfed level 50.

That, and considering what they do, they're still the go-to choices amongst the 2*s even after nerfs, particularly Thor.
  • Linxis wrote:

I suspect that people are still using Thorverine because they are the only level 85 characters they have and having a nerfed level 85 is better than a non-nerfed level 50.

That, and considering what they do, they're still the go-to choices amongst the 2*s even after nerfs, particularly Thor.

Yea, I personally kept Thor, he's a green ap generator for Patch. But having Patch and Astonishing Wolvie made no sense to me, so I sold him.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Funny how everyone says Rags is ruined but he is still higher than most of the other 3* villains in usage
  • Let's see, what can I say without giving numbers away...

- There are very slightly more regular Android players than iOS players overall. Regular being those that stick around for a while.
    - iOS is more spikey with new players joining more often then leaving as quickly, Android players stick more often, but come in more slowly. Platform app discovery issues?
    - Steam is our fastest growing segment (duh, brand new), with players being the most sticky there compared to either mobile platform.
    - Brazilians on Android love themselves some Puzzle Quest, beating out both the UK and Canada in total users. Not so many iOS Brazilians, but they're still high on the list of countries overall.
    - Android version 4.1.0 is by far the most popular OS to play the game on, followed by 4.2.0 and 4.3.0.
    - iOS users update their OSes much more often in comparison, with most users being on either 7.0.4 or 7.0.3.
    - The Nexus 7 is by far the most popular single Android device to play on. Samsung as a manufacturer dominates the pack though with tons of devices being very high up on the usage list across many models.
    - The vanilla iPhone 4 is the most popular iOS device, with the iPad 2 being the strongest tablet in use for either iOS or Android.
    - About 10% of our regular userbase overall is either jailbroken or full rooted, much higher than we were expecting. The vast majority of said users play perfectly nicely, unlike popular depictions of those users being natural pirates/cheaters.
    - The character with the most purchased ability upgrades (minus Tutorials) is Iron Man (Model 35). His Repulsor Blast wins out with over triple the upgrades of the next highest character's total upgrades, Storm (Modern).
    - Dropping 1 stars, the most purchased ability upgrade in total crown goes to Black Widow (Grey Suit), and the most purchased ability upgrade singly goes to Daken's Pheremone Rage.
    - Most popular character overall is Iron Man (Model 35), which should come as no surprise since he's used so often by everyone early game.
    - Stripping out 1 stars the top 5 used in order are: Thor, Storm (Classic), Iron Man (Model 40), Captain America, Wolverine (Astonishing). Devil Dinosaur ranks dead last.
    - The Lightning Round played most regularly is Hood's, followed by Ragnarok. The one participated in least is Doom's, with Loki being slightly higher in participation.

I thought I'd post this blast from the past. These are some stats IceIX gave out on December 13th.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1235&p=15051&hilit=+storm+loki+magneto+wolverine+hood+hawkeye#p15051
  • Funny how everyone says Rags is ruined but he is still higher than most of the other 3* villains in usage
    Don't read too much into that. He was ruined. But just like Thor and Wolverine, he was the highest leveled character a lot of people had. He's now my second highest character, and I don't use him.
  • Keep in mind that he has a **** load of health, so anyone who had him levelled probably still trots him out during villain LR as a defensive tactic.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks for posting the stats, IceIX. icon_cool.gif

Poor Bullseye - I do think he's quite nifty as well, I just don't level him because (like Daken) he's never going to be PvE boosted and is DQ'd from many matches as being on the other team.

And Hood - you're behind Loki?! I've been using him all over the place recently, so doing my part to push him up the listing! icon_e_biggrin.gif

N.B. Ragnorak's my 2nd highest level character too; I would give him a run out, if he only had a 3rd tile colour - just doesn't provide sufficient coverage in the 2-support teams I am using currently (safer just to use Thor for better skills & rely on healing up the lesser health with OBW).
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Blue Shoes wrote:
    Funny how everyone says Rags is ruined but he is still higher than most of the other 3* villains in usage
    Don't read too much into that. He was ruined. But just like Thor and Wolverine, he was the highest leveled character a lot of people had. He's now my second highest character, and I don't use him.
    His usage stats dropped by about a third since he was changed. If every other number stayed the same and the number of uses stayed average until the current chart is only post alteration, he'd be sitting right behind but extremely close to Loki in usage stats. Which also kind of goes to show you the delta you're looking at between positions 20 and 26.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Blue Shoes wrote:
    His usage stats dropped by about a third since he was changed. If every other number stayed the same and the number of uses stayed average until the current chart is only post alteration, he'd be sitting right behind but extremely close to Loki in usage stats. Which also kind of goes to show you the delta you're looking at between positions 20 and 26.
    That sounds close what I was expecting, which is weird because I wasn't expecting what I was expecting to be right. Right? Yea.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Just did a quick run on the numbers for the last 30 days.
    --- popular characters snipped ----
    Hood (Classic)
    Moonstone (Dark Avengers)
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear)
    Invisible Woman (Classic)
    Wolverine (X-Force)
    Bullseye (Dark Avengers)
    Yelena (Dark Avengers)
    Devil Dino

I just went and beat up a team in Best There Is with Wolverine X, Daredevil, and The Hood. Is there a rarest team?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Just did a quick run on the numbers for the last 30 days.
    --- popular characters snipped ----
    Hood (Classic)
    Moonstone (Dark Avengers)
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear)
    Invisible Woman (Classic)
    Wolverine (X-Force)
    Bullseye (Dark Avengers)
    Yelena (Dark Avengers)
    Devil Dino

I just went and beat up a team in Best There Is with Wolverine X, Daredevil, and The Hood. Is there a rarest team?
    That's a difficult one to answer. Sure there is, but something like Yelena, X-Force Wolverine, and Juggernaut are rare because no one would team them up together given a real choice. In terms of "Sure, I guess I can see why they did that", the rarest is X-Force Wolverine, Invisible Woman, and Punisher. But those are also high rarities, so the chances of a player having (and deciding to use) all three is low.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    That's a difficult one to answer. Sure there is, but something like Yelena, X-Force Wolverine, and Juggernaut are rare because no one would team them up together given a real choice. In terms of "Sure, I guess I can see why they did that", the rarest is X-Force Wolverine, Invisible Woman, and Punisher. But those are also high rarities, so the chances of a player having (and deciding to use) all three is low.

Interesting. I suppose X-Force, IW, Hulk is the team with the most health, but I've never seen it.
    Incidently, could you make the updated forum list of Characters sticky? The current sticky is months out of date. You can feel free to steal control.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2946
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bagman is doing better than Hood? That's just sad.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blue Shoes wrote:
    Puritas wrote:
    How on earth is Capt America that high??

IceIX has said in the past that he is just a popular character. Some people would rather play who they like over who is better. I was surprised by BagMan, but he did have that tournament boost. Plus some people swear by him for PvE.

He's also not a bad choice in PvE as he is designed to take out hard to match countdown tiles.
  • Eddiemon wrote:

Lol. You tank with Bagman while hoping for more covers for Hood.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:

It makes sense. 3* covers are bleh until you get a lot of them, and the villain covers are among the rarest in the game.
  • Character use and Power use sure sound like very useful tools for balancing purposes: No matter how many simulations you run by yourself, nothing beats a userbase pounding on the game.

I sure wish I could throw my scientific visualization packages at a dataset like this. A few simple database queries can tell you something, but a well thought out chart can tell you something is about to go wrong before it happens.