Wow. 1000 pts did not make top 100!

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel bad for the person shielded at 1004 points who finished at 102.

Don't. Unless there were two of these brackets, said person is our alliance, we told him a bunch of times to go back in. He always breaks 1k and just stops inexplicably. At least he already maxed every 3*?
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Hmm, n00b bracket or late joiner FTW? I got 3rd in my slice (1) and finished at 600 and change.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    deiXide wrote:
    On another note, how does one graduate to the veteran brackets? Is it just luck of the draw? I want to steer clear of those as long as possible from the way you guys are talking.

I don't think there is any official/unofficial word on this... but from my experience, I switched over right around the time I was consistently placing well in PvP (hit top 10 at least two times) and also around the same time I had brought a few of my characters up to around 127. So, just as I had 140-level characters (and then 153, then 166) I was consistently going up against all 166 teams in the vet brackets and almost never saw a maxed 2 star team again. And with the right teams/boards/boosted characters you still can take on those maxed 166 teams so it's not impossible, just more difficult.

I know that I personally have to get more comfortable with spending HP on shields to hit 1000 more regularly (and then 1300). But after a year of spending HP primarily on roster slots, it's hard to convince myself to buy shields and not save up for another slot.

FWIW, I've always joined PvP slices right as they start, with the thinking that the more big point players out there, the more points available for me to try to get. I'm a late joiner in PvE though, and that works well; maybe I need to try it out for PvP too, for some lower scored Top 100 rankings.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Phumade wrote:
    I hope this means we won't see anymore "Its too hard to hit 1K" posts. A full 20% of a bracket made 1k! Now that the game has broken that milestone, its clear mpq has evolved and its their fault for not adapting. We've moved past early mover and whale stages, now the upper middle class is adopting advance play strategies.

This highlights several major reasons that it can be hard to reach 1k. As said above, these high scorers (I wouldnt necessarily include myself) are the 1%ers so their achievements dont reflect the experience of the common player. With that many high scorers concentrating in one slice, others didnt have as many pushing scores up, making 1k harder to reach.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Phumade wrote:
    I hope this means we won't see anymore "Its too hard to hit 1K" posts. A full 20% of a bracket made 1k! Now that the game has broken that milestone, its clear mpq has evolved and its their fault for not adapting. We've moved past early mover and whale stages, now the upper middle class is adopting advance play strategies.

This highlights several major reasons that it can be hard to reach 1k. As said above, these high scorers (I wouldnt necessarily include myself) are the 1%ers so their achievements dont reflect the experience of the common player. With that many high scorers concentrating in one slice, others didnt have as many pushing scores up, making 1k harder to reach.
    completely disagree there. 1K should have been a cakewalk there since there were so many points in the system. 1 on the other hand was pretty dry and those up at the top were shield locked and 1K was much harder to get. when larger numbers of players in the slice climb higher, there are more points overall in the system to be had. I'm confident I would have had a much easier time in 4 than 1 this last time. 1 sucked.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Yup, I made 30th with 1363.
    I kinda, sorta feel bad for people who still need 3* covers.

Don't feel too bad. They'll learn which slices to go to for points, and which to go for placement. I doubt many (if any) vets went into that slice for placement not knowing it was going to take a heck of a lot of points to place.

Well I'll admit I haven't learned this yet. I choose my slice based on end time as it's usually the only way I can get ahead. (Not much use to pick a slice that I can't play for.) But since you brought it up, how do you choose the *right* slice for points vs. placement? Or either for that matter.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    I have lucked into easy brackets the last two events and got #1 with 990 and 950, respectively. By the time I got over 900, I couldn't find a match over 20 points so I shielded and hoped for the best. I was too paranoid to go for 1k, thinking I could be sniped at any minute (and in both cases it looks like I shielded right on time).

I took most of last season's pvp off (didn’t even get the 10 pack), so that might be why I lucked into these brackets.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:

When 50% of the bracket makes the milestone, would you consider that a normal achievement? In some ways, people are already self segregating into advanced brackets.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    This totally shows a lot of you have warped perspectives that don't leave the forums when i see stuff like 'everyone has finished 3 star transitioning besides 1 or 2 covers' lol.
    well no end game has, and endgame is always going to be in a precarious position of aiming for something specific. What'd help most would weirdly be releasing multiple 4 stars at once,or multiple fives, so instead of a progressive hitlist, you guys have a tier to play around with.

The only way I reasonably have to get 3 stars is to hope that I'm placed in non vet brackets by participating like every other pvp.

40 3 stars, not having most to start, 7 day pve slogs for 1 cover because a good chunk are going for the 4 star, pvp wise it's a battlezone where no boosted 3 star with some useable moves means you better attack spaced far apart so you can't be retaliated by too many people.

The comment knowing what bracket to go in? I still purely pick on when is reasonable to finish according to my sleeping schedule, a casual player is less likely to change their whole sleeping schedule in hopes of a cover or 2.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Phumade wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:

When 50% of the bracket makes the milestone, would you consider that a normal achievement? In some ways, people are already self segregating into advanced brackets.

That's part of the issue i was trying to point out. Most people in MPQ dont play the meta-game, and probably dont even really get that there is one, of progression vs placement. Just look at slices 1 and 5...they were quite dry as the high scorers self concentrated into 4. Plus, if you had a sub par roster you likely got massacred in 4 as the easiest available target for climbers.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, Im enjoying the progression reward help from the high point slice. Just wondering about what it means for others.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Just because many on here have enough firepower to still hit 1K doesn't mean we should think anyone can do it.

Anyone CAN do it when they are ready. This forum is littered with complaints from those who are perfectly well-equipped, but would rather whine rather than learn, and then whine some more rather than do some heavy-lifting.

That said there are a lot of walls in this game. I started a new account on Android recently. It's up to day 21. In PvP, in the noob brackets, it can reach 300pts but not hold it. It's walled off from hitting 400pts by a bunch of mean-looking maxed 2* teams that seem to get their kicks beating up this lowly brand-new account. Should I post to the forum about the "impossibility" of hitting 400pts? Or put more time into the account building its roster?

There are many walls in this game, the 2* wall, the 3* wall, the 4* wall. Each takes longer to surmount than the last. But what if anything is fundamentally different about 1* players being "blocked" by 2*s in comparison to 3*s being "blocked" by 4*s?

The 3 star wall was insanely brutal if you go back and look at the posts. DPDQ helped solve that issue for a lot of transitioners as did the higher 3* drop rates. Before that occurred and when 3* were released every other week, 2* players had very little chance of maxing any 3*. The same is occurring now. People with reasonable 3* are looked at as easy pickings. I know when I am climbing I go after cage fist teams before I would tough DPXF Jean Grey teams.

At a certain level you start hitting this wall, and it's all well and good to say well you will eventually transition when you are the early transitioner when you weren't looked at as easy pickings.

I am having a blast, always hitting 1K and sometimes 1300, so I am moving up, but that's not the case for ppl running fist 3* thor and some other character. If they hit 1K 3 times a season its probably absolute luck and with the number of 4* coming out, they wont have a viable 4* for at least a year.

In the mean time as more of us keep adding to our 4* pool, the amount of easy targets worth good points will dwindle and the few hitting 800 or more will get sniped more and more.

If you want to brush all of those people as whiners, that's your perogitive, but I wonder how easy of a time you would have if you couldn't use any of your 4*
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

Don't feel too bad. They'll learn which slices to go to for points, and which to go for placement. I doubt many (if any) vets went into that slice for placement not knowing it was going to take a heck of a lot of points to place.

I am in a vet bracket... but I always choose slice 4 because the end time is the best for me. (except when they flip it, then I choose slice 2)

I think this time my error was joining nearing the beginning instead of the last day of the event. Lots of points in slice 4, but also lots of sniping going on... though likely not intentional. (but just as frustrating)

I would say that is the one area I haven't really seen improvement in. There are dry slices, so I have never really gotten to pick a slice 100% based on convenience. My first decision is do I need any of the rewards? Then, should I go for points or placement? Lastly, given those two answers, which slice works best for me?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Magisse wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

Well I'll admit I haven't learned this yet. I choose my slice based on end time as it's usually the only way I can get ahead. (Not much use to pick a slice that I can't play for.) But since you brought it up, how do you choose the *right* slice for points vs. placement? Or either for that matter.

Granted I have more covers, but typically I choose the slice I can spend the least hp. I'll pick my spots when I want to use hp to reach a higher progressive or placement.

The second part is kind of tough right now. There has been some shuffling among the top scoring alliances concerning which slices they're using. Until this weekend, slice 1 was usually good for points, as well as whichever slice the xmen are in. Just keep asking around, most alliances usually use the same slices depending on the day of the week, so a pattern should re-emerge after they get done shifting.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Magisse wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

The slice w the top alliances is easiest for points. The rest for placement. You can get a lucky bracket in there correct slice but it's harder.

Best way is asking someone which slice particular alliances pick.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:

When 50% of all brackets in all time slices makes that milestone I would consider it normal. How does a regular Joe player know in advance what time slice will be filled with those high scorers that will just steam roll an average 3* player and which will be competitive enough to make them feel that with a little bit more work and effort they stand a chance of winning? I was lead to believe slice 1 was owned purely by high end players but it seems I am wrong there.

No matter what most people on these forums may feel the fact is that versus events are the meat and potatoes of this game, and if newer players are just getting creamed then they will lose interest and move on to the next free to play game. Like it or not new players are needed for the sustainability of the game just as much as the veterans and they need to be catered to just as much.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Like it or not new players are needed for the sustainability of the game just as much as the veterans and they need to be catered to just as much.

Yes they are, and they are in intro brackets where 900 is a number 1 placement score. It a bit early to make a fair assessment of this trend, but you can't ignore the fact that its no longer 1% thing. Over 100 players broke 1K in a 500 person bracket.

I hope people stop pretending that only the elite break 1K and earn 4* chars, its becoming well within reach of a dedicated player and may soon become the normal score.
  • GurlBYE
    Phumade wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Like it or not new players are needed for the sustainability of the game just as much as the veterans and they need to be catered to just as much.

Yes they are, and they are in intro brackets where 900 is a number 1 placement score. It a bit early to make a fair assessment of this trend, but you can't ignore the fact that its no longer 1% thing. Over 100 players broke 1K in a 500 person bracket.

I hope people stop pretending that only the elite break 1K and earn 4* chars, its becoming well within reach of a dedicated player and may soon become the normal score.

1 bracket of how ever many there were, and 100 players in 500 in that particular bracket, during 1 pvp is not a huge amount.

also level of roster has squat to do with 'dedication' its more in how long a person has been playing, unless dedication is throwing money at the packs until something higher leveled comes out.
    It's getting better, but this isn't the best example of it.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

Yes 100 players in a 500 player bracket. That is one bracket out of how many brackets in each time slice? Chances are it most likely still is a 1% thing. I really feel sorry for anybody in that bracket who really needed the 3* placement rewards as my guess is that most of those 100 players who scored more than 1000 points didn't.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    also level of roster has squat to do with 'dedication' its more in how long a person has been playing, unless dedication is throwing money at the packs until something higher leveled comes out.
    actually over longer periods of time, dedication of players becomes evident. some do ddq religiously every day. some maximize their pvp progression/placement every event. some even pve at the high end (crazy amount of time there). some LR every week as much as possible. when 1K becomes possible for a player, some try and get there every time.

then there are those that play here or there when they can and do 'their best' when that is what is conveniently/easily obtained and then they call it a day and are happy with it. nothing wrong with that if that is what you enjoy - game is there for us to enjoy. but the more casual player over 6-12 months time will be far behind the 'dedicated' player who has missed only minimal events. not just about time. I'm at day 278 and there are those that, like me, started playing around last thanksgiving that have far more advanced rosters than me. I'm also sure there are those playing the same amount of time that are just now entering full *** play. there is a difference.
  • GurlBYE
    TxMoose wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    actually over longer periods of time, dedication of players becomes evident. some do ddq religiously every day. some maximize their pvp progression/placement every event. some even pve at the high end (crazy amount of time there). some LR every week as much as possible. when 1K becomes possible for a player, some try and get there every time.

then there are those that play here or there when they can and do 'their best' when that is what is conveniently/easily obtained and then they call it a day and are happy with it. nothing wrong with that if that is what you enjoy - game is there for us to enjoy. but the more casual player over 6-12 months time will be far behind the 'dedicated' player who has missed only minimal events. not just about time. I'm at day 278 and there are those that, like me, started playing around last thanksgiving that have far more advanced rosters than me. I'm also sure there are those playing the same amount of time that are just now entering full *** play. there is a difference.

I can play ddq everyday but if i don't have the cover i'm getting 1 taco and 1700-ish iso a day.

Other then that I don't disagree but we can't discredit other factors in this equation like major game shifts and changes.
    Someone entering 3 star now has 40 characters they can't get more of daily without having them, relying on lucky taco draws to advance that since the event rewards don't always line up with DDQ.

DDQ to begin with is beneficial but benefits vested players more then those just jumping into 3 stars

The score rising is also a result of a game change.
    It's beneficial to players, but we're just sort of seeing who it benefits more and less now.