High Level (100+), do you spread the iso or concentrate it?

Options

Comments

• Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like taking them up to 141, but I have trust issues, I don't know if they are going to ruin Spider-Man whom I have at 141, or if Magneto is going to be worth spit after the changes, I have him at 105 and would have taken him to 141 if the nerf announcement had not come in. I have a 115 Ragnarok who is utterly useless now that I spent cash buying covers for.

I have hulk at 141 and IM40 at 141 and have no regrets, I am considering taking either Punisher or GSBW up next.

you basically spent the same amount of ISO leveling from 100-141 as you do leveling from 15-100, I am just leveling them up to 100, then deciding who to focus on.

It is seriously disheartening to invest SO much ISO into a toon only to have it nerfed to uselessness.
  • Just don't sit down and calculate the actual play time it will take to fully level 2-3 of these characters.

In 3 hours of playtime, I earned 5k tonight. My Hulk went from 85 - 88.

Yay?
  • My current goal is to get all 3 stars up to 100 (with the exception of Loki, want his black below OBW's). I'm lucky to only have 4 that are not already there: gsBW, IM40 and Doom, all at 65 and Daredevil at 33. Once that is done I should know the future of Spidey and Mags so I'll probably start focusing on my A team at that point.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Just don't sit down and calculate the actual play time it will take to fully level 2-3 of these characters.

In 3 hours of playtime, I earned 5k tonight. My Hulk went from 85 - 88.

Yay?

I do not want to think about this.
  • In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a maxed Hulk. If you have him fully covered, I would push in that direction.

1. He's a mountain of hit points at max.
    2. He gives your squishier damage dealers cover and more time to accumulate AP. Then you can level them up at your leisure but mitigate their low health.
    3. D-Fence. Hulk helps your AI controlled team to live long enough to hit a lucky cascade and bring in some free points.
    4. Scarecrow duties. Matches against you with max Hulk means a longer match. The later in the tourney it gets, the more important match completion speed becomes which you can take advantage of with a maxed Hulk. You'll earn more skips and non-retaliations.
    5. Don't sleep on Hulk's green. With Patch dropping strike tiles everywhere these days, a board cleaner is a helpful tool to have.
    6. People worry that Anger won't trigger enough at max health, but see above referenced Patch strike tiles. I'm starting to see Patch everywhere, and when they get strike tiles off, the AoE you get at 5 black piggy-backing on the purple tiles he gives you is almost a free Molotov each turn. Not to mention the green you generate is likely to match out some of his friendly strike tiles.
    7. His sprite often blocks other team member sprites from view, and that's sweet.
  • Problem with Hulk is that Patch is likely the strongest offensive character in the game until Spiderman is nerfed (once you stunlock, Patch obviously kills guys faster than anybody), and he needs to be higher level than Hulk to claim red/green or The Best There Is won't be very intimidating at all, so I think Patch takes precedence over Hulk.
  • buffed right xforce should be the mist intimidating enemy. Huge hp pool comparable to hulk. A strike tile green for (let's say 12) ap is much scarier imo than hulls green. The red may be stronger than hulks. The yellow is the deal maker breaker. Hulk has a good black but u can avoid it. Depending in the yellow xforce could be the #1...as the inky damage 4**** it would be rightfully so.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    xforce does cost a billion more iso than Hulk though.
  • xforce does cost a billion more iso than Hulk though.

Also means he is less likely to be nerfed out of being a good character though (if he becomes one).
  • In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a maxed Hulk. If you have him fully covered, I would push in that direction.

2. He gives your squishier damage dealers cover and more time to accumulate AP. Then you can level them up at your leisure but mitigate their low health.
    3. D-Fence. Hulk helps your AI controlled team to live long enough to hit a lucky cascade and bring in some free points.
    4. Scarecrow duties. Matches against you with max Hulk means a longer match. The later in the tourney it gets, the more important match completion speed becomes which you can take advantage of with a maxed Hulk. You'll earn more skips and non-retaliations.
    5. Don't sleep on Hulk's green. With Patch dropping strike tiles everywhere these days, a board cleaner is a helpful tool to have.
    6. People worry that Anger won't trigger enough at max health, but see above referenced Patch strike tiles. I'm starting to see Patch everywhere, and when they get strike tiles off, the AoE you get at 5 black piggy-backing on the purple tiles he gives you is almost a free Molotov each turn. Not to mention the green you generate is likely to match out some of his friendly strike tiles.
    7. His sprite often blocks other team member sprites from view, and that's sweet.
    You forgot his prodigious ****.

I keep waiting for everyone to conclude that Hulk on defense isn't actually going to do anything to you, not as long as everyone's still using Spider-Man as their third in any and every team, and it's actually in your best interest to attack them because the AI will probably use Thunderous Clap at 11AP instead of something useful. If it ever does happen, Spider-Man's stun will have been funbalanced and we'll all be trying to scare one another off with maxed Daredevil reds, so Hulk's black will actually matter on defense and Thunderous Clap will be the best move ever.

Leveling depends so much on what you're wanting to do with them. Enter anything and everything and do decently? You probably want 4 or 5 100-115s and to keep using a good few 2*s. Scrap for top 25 out of everyone playing in Courageous LRs? 3x141 or go home. Sure, between off-peak, shields, MMR weirdness and luck, people will manage it with a bunch of 80s, and Spider-Man's level matters less than how many blues he has, but top 25 to get anything special combined with people who want anything needing to play everything is about as brutal as the game's ever gone, pay-to-register tournament aside.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really hate Punisher, Hulk and IM40 on defense. It is just ugly.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Clint wrote:
    I really hate Punisher, Hulk and IM40 on defense. It is just ugly.

Yep that's why I'm maxing IM out right now. Hulk and punisher are like mace to would be attackers. IM should round out that defense nicely.
  • I agree with most everything else that people have said here (save for the cheating scumbagman). The one caveat is that you want enough roster diversity to be able to play in most of the events that limit your roster. So I have fully half my roster of 27 at 50+, while only having 2 characters at 100+ (BWGS and IM40). Now that my roster is looking pretty resilient, it's time to start bringing Punisher and Hulk up from their mid-60's.
  • The only thing worse than cheating is bragging about cheating.

I don't think 141 is completely necessary, especially not for a full team. Hulk gets his Anger harder to trigger. Spidey, all he really gets is health. Punisher, his Retribution is % based. Mags can already get close to ohko at midlevel. Gsbw I'd say is relatively important. Also Patch so he commands tiles.

Punisher definitely gains on levels, retribution is a good shot for 8, not only as final kill, and the amount scales. (actually outside buffed things the damage is more than the 30% way too often). And the strike tiles also grow with the level just as the molotov direct damage. Health also matters for good.

So Punisher is excellent target for ISO. Also Patch benefits a lot -- more HP and regen, grow on top of others... I really think twice to attack a 100+ patch with any good support character, there's no good order to kill them. (Unless you can stunlock certainly, but that makes any team redundant meat).
  • Veracity wrote:
    In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a maxed Hulk. If you have him fully covered, I would push in that direction.

I keep waiting for everyone to conclude that Hulk on defense isn't actually going to do anything to you, not as long as everyone's still using Spider-Man as their third in any and every team, and it's actually in your best interest to attack them because the AI will probably use Thunderous Clap at 11AP instead of something useful. If it ever does happen, Spider-Man's stun will have been funbalanced and we'll all be trying to scare one another off with maxed Daredevil reds, so Hulk's black will actually matter on defense and Thunderous Clap will be the best move ever.

Leveling depends so much on what you're wanting to do with them. Enter anything and everything and do decently? You probably want 4 or 5 100-115s and to keep using a good few 2*s. Scrap for top 25 out of everyone playing in Courageous LRs? 3x141 or go home. Sure, between off-peak, shields, MMR weirdness and luck, people will manage it with a bunch of 80s, and Spider-Man's level matters less than how many blues he has, but top 25 to get anything special combined with people who want anything needing to play everything is about as brutal as the game's ever gone, pay-to-register tournament aside.

Unfortunately it's not a matter what a few players think compared to the norm. I think it is definitely correct to assume the average player is intimidated by Hulk, even though I always attack teams with Hulk first. As long as you have Spiderman, it's really not an issue to finish Hulk. Even without Spiderman, it's still pretty much a 3on2 for you (Hulk does literally nothing threatening and is always saved for last).

The problem with Hulk is that if someone is not intimidated by him, they really won't lose to him. Compared to say, Patch, someone who is not intimidated by Patch may very well lose to Patch after you get a successful Berserker Rage on the board (or you might kill yourself, but you're probably going to lose anyway without Patch so it doesn't matter).
  • Phantron wrote:
    Veracity wrote:
    In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a maxed Hulk. If you have him fully covered, I would push in that direction.

Unfortunately it's not a matter what a few players think compared to the norm. I think it is definitely correct to assume the average player is intimidated by Hulk, even though I always attack teams with Hulk first. As long as you have Spiderman, it's really not an issue to finish Hulk. Even without Spiderman, it's still pretty much a 3on2 for you (Hulk does literally nothing threatening and is always saved for last).

The problem with Hulk is that if someone is not intimidated by him, they really won't lose to him. Compared to say, Patch, someone who is not intimidated by Patch may very well lose to Patch after you get a successful Berserker Rage on the board (or you might kill yourself, but you're probably going to lose anyway without Patch so it doesn't matter).

The thing that's scary for me with hulk is the black. He has a lot of HP so hes around a lot but the constant green cascades can turn ridiculous quick. Especially if there is 5 black. Still haven't fought one yet though.
  • The thing I consider most for Hulk and other tank characters (IM40?) is that you want him to be of a high enough level where, on offense, his match damage has him tanking for other characters.

Of course, this cuts both ways.

Hulk tanking black & green for Punisher? Good.

Hulk tanking green for Patch? Bad.

(As another example, I like that my IM40 tanks blue for Spidey.)
  • Actually you would be fine with Hulk tanking for Patch if you have a 5/3/5 Patch. If you rely on Patch's red, then you don't want too much tanking.
  • jozier wrote:
    Actually you would be fine with Hulk tanking for Patch if you have a 5/3/5 Patch. If you rely on Patch's red, then you don't want too much tanking.

That's my build for Patch. I prefer the strike tile chaos on the board, particularly for defense. If Spidey ceases to be a reliable stunner/healer after his tweaks, then strike tiles give you a much better chance to chew up a team when attacked, as they can't reliably stop you from matching. Add Hulk's 5 black Anger AoEs and cascades to the mix and you've got a potent combo.

Nothing wrong with a 5 Red Patch build, but to Phantron's and Jozier's points, that build does reduce his synergy with Hulk. To the OP - you'll do well with pumping ISO into either character right now if you've got them fully covered.
  • Patch and Hulk both have green > red > 3rd color in their tile strength so they should have the same formula for the overlapping colors, so as long as Patch is at least the same level as Hulk and placed in center, he should have red and green. It makes it harder to put Hulk in front to tank when you do Berserker Rage but you can always just wait a few turns until a black match shows up. Patch is more than capable of tanking normal hits with 3 in regeneration, and normal hits won't trigger Hulk's Anger anyway.

It does make it trickier to put Hulk to absorb a special move, though it's been harder to do this in general since AI no longer uses the lower cost abilities the moment they're available.

Of course, since you probably should have Hulk at a high level (otherwise there isn't a point to use him at all), getting Patch to same level or above Hulk can take a while too.