High Level (100+), do you spread the iso or concentrate it?

Options
I'm not one of the upper tier players but I'm starting to knock on the door with my roster. However, I've spread my iso out on my 3* roster quite a bit:

Punisher 111
Hulk 105
Spider-man 100
Magneto 100
Ragnarok 90
Gray Suit 87
+ a few others in the 40s-60s

My question to the people with well trained 3* characters (100+), do you find it worthwhile to keep pumping them into the 120+ range? Is there a big difference in a 110 vs a 140? The reason I ask is because iso becomes a huge problem around this stage. I have a little over 50K iso banked and I could use that to bring another 3* (ex Hood, Patch) into useful range but wondering if I should just dump it all into my punisher/hulk instead. I know 3*s weren't very impressive to me until they hit about the level 100 mark and wonder if they continue to grow or if they kind of stagnate out a bit

Comments

• I don't care anymore. The bot I've been programming is now live since earlier today. It's still in its infancy but it works well enough to farm the first 20 iso mission forever. So I'll have iso for everyone!

Learn programming kids, it's easy enough. You can start here: https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/har ... puter-1022
  • Spencer75
    Options
    Microtom wrote:
    I don't care anymore. The bot I've been programming is now live since earlier today. It's still in its infancy but it works well enough to farm the first 20 iso mission forever. So I'll have iso for everyone!

Learn programming kids, it's easy enough. You can start here: https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/har ... puter-1022

You are a scum bag
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Microtom wrote:
    I don't care anymore. The bot I've been programming is now live since earlier today. It's still in its infancy but it works well enough to farm the first 20 iso mission forever. So I'll have iso for everyone!

You are a scum bagman
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Someone get out the ban hammer pl0x.
  • LordWill
    LordWill Posts: 341
    Options
    I wouldn't mind to see a serious answer for this question.
  • My first lvl 100 was im 40 I knew he was not that special so I stopped at 100.
    I then got patch + 68k iso from thoverine. I said self.... they love wolverine. I bet this guy is a beast when maxed. I ran into someone with a maxed patch and ZOMG. I've focused EVERYTHING into him. This also gives people something to fear. High Dps decent Health and a bit of regen. No one wants to take damage in pvp, and if he gets going watch out.

With a 5/5/3 build I've struck down 16k+ health in the new tourney with just my red attack.

My opinion is find someone whose aggressive and hard to kill in pvp and focus on them. 5 black hulk, patch none of the villains have both Dps and health so forget them.
  • Kinda wish I had gone 5/5/3 instead of both 5/3/5 and 3/5/4 so far.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I used to just concentrate everything into what I had considered my 'main' team of characters - GSBW/Rag/Spidey. In fact, my only maxed 3 star characters are GSBW and Rag.

Nowadays, I go where the boosted characters are. So my roster now looks like:

Hulk - 117 (Leveled during Hulk Smash)
    Punisher - 125 (Leveled during The Hunt Ares)
    Spidey - 120 (His utility only increases slightly with leveling)
    Patch - 89 (Leveled during TaT)
    IM40 - 128 (Has been boosted a dozen times since release)

My current plan is to generally stop at around the 120 point, since those lasts 21 levels are pretty rough.

I try to keep an ISO bank at all times so I can move into boosted tournaments easier. Right now, I think I'm at 110K ISO saved, waiting for either a Daredevil or villain event, whichever comes first.

But...there are most certainly advantages to going all the way to 141. At the tippity top of play, the 141 teams will always be a little bit scarier.
  • I would also like an answer to this question as well.

I have Hulk/IM 40/Patch/Punisher/Spidey anywhere from 50-80 and I have about 100,000 ISO and not knowing which character to put it into.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2014
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    I'm not one of the upper tier players but I'm starting to knock on the door with my roster. However, I've spread my iso out on my 3* roster quite a bit:

Punisher 111
    Hulk 105
    Spider-man 100
    Magneto 100
    Ragnarok 90
    Gray Suit 87
    + a few others in the 40s-60s

My question to the people with well trained 3* characters (100+), do you find it worthwhile to keep pumping them into the 120+ range? Is there a big difference in a 110 vs a 140? The reason I ask is because iso becomes a huge problem around this stage. I have a little over 50K iso banked and I could use that to bring another 3* (ex Hood, Patch) into useful range but wondering if I should just dump it all into my punisher/hulk instead. I know 3*s weren't very impressive to me until they hit about the level 100 mark and wonder if they continue to grow or if they kind of stagnate out a bit

I'm trying to figure this out myself. If you look at the wiki (http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki ... structible)), the difference between level 110 and 141 is about 25% hp/match damage/ability damage. I think heroes scale linearly with levels, so those 30 levels represent an extra 28% effectiveness: the question is whether or not you think that is worth the iso cost. With the way the current game is structured, I think it is. Having a really good A team means that you can place well in events (in terms of being able to win matches and intimidate the enemy so that they dont retaliate or attack you), and this is probably more important than having a deeper roster since you can probably use the A team throughout the entire tournament.

As for the buffed hero argument, I would say that leveling core roster members to 141 is worth not leveling a buffed character or two. Think about it this way: you're going to need 2 other heroes to play with the buffed hero, and chances are, those 2 other heroes are going to be your most leveled characters that are core to your roster. Even though the buffed character will see some use during the tournaments that he's buffed in, he will probably sit on the bench until he is buffed again (see Ares, has anyone with a 3* roster used him after his tournaments?) Therefore, it's worth spending some time and "sacrificing" a tournament or two by not leveling that buffed character in order to level a set of core characters that will be used in all subsequent tournaments (Hulk and Punisher). I would also say that a level 110 hulk is a lot less scary than a level 141 hulk.

Damn it, I guess I just convinced myself to prioritize leveling Hulk and Punisher to 141, as those 2 characters are the safest to level right now. Hulk has a hidden aura that prevents enemies from attacking you due to how annoying he is on defense which is infinitely useful (although he is horrible on offense), and punisher is just generally good at dealing damage and fits well on any team as all 3 of his abilities are useful. Some reasons as to why the other characters aren't as safe:
    GSBW - need to build around her and is horrible on defense.
    Rags - Nerf batted to oblivion.
    Spidey/Mags - Uncertain future due to nerfs
    IM40 - Seems more like situational support, as most people only use him for recharge.
    Patch - Need to build around him, so doesn't fit on every team.
  • I spread them out. Characters I use often I push them a little past 100 (Rag/Spidey/GSBW). I just save the ISO and use them on characters boosted in events. Sitting on ~200k ISO now and it gives me a lot more flexibility.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you look at the wiki (http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki ... structible)), the difference between level 110 and 141 is about 25% hp/match damage/ability damage. I think heroes scale linearly with levels, so those 30 levels represent an extra 28% effectiveness

Does ability damage scale linearly though?
    Wiki puts punisher's molotov toss/tick damage at 557/113, but at lvl 101 my punisher's mollies are 510/51
    That's a pretty huge attack tile diff if wiki's correct
  • lvl 100 = 81k
    lvl 141 = 172k

you can have 2 lvl 100 for slightly cheaper than 1 lvl 141.

I've placed well in the last month of tourneys and I think it's because I've spread the iso around as well. Not quite as large a bank as Nemek... just 30k icon_razz.gif I keep that aside for the next tourney and invest in the featured character if I feel it will help me compete better. this PvE gsbw got 30 levels pumped in.

I'm reaching the point now where I'm considering focusing down and pumping one up to 141 but waiting to see what happens to spidey and magneto to get the feel for the new direction.

115 ragnarok
    105 IM40
    100 gsbw
    100 spidey
    100 patch
    80 doom
    75 magneto
    75 hulk
    50 punisher
  • Catalyst wrote:
    lvl 100 = 81k
    lvl 141 = 172k

you can have 2 lvl 100 for slightly cheaper than 1 lvl 141.

I've placed well in the last month of tourneys and I think it's because I've spread the iso around as well. Not quite as large a bank as Nemek... just 30k icon_razz.gif I keep that aside for the next tourney and invest in the featured character if I feel it will help me compete better. this PvE gsbw got 30 levels pumped in.

I'm reaching the point now where I'm considering focusing down and pumping one up to 141 but waiting to see what happens to spidey and magneto to get the feel for the new direction.

115 ragnarok
    105 IM40
    100 gsbw
    100 spidey
    100 patch
    80 doom
    75 magneto
    75 hulk
    50 punisher

Looks like we have similarly leveled characters and the same conundrum on how to spend the iso
  • I am going for Max characters if possible.

However do noted which characters are the one that you will be mainly using it.

If possible, try to select 2 characters (That work well with each other) 1st since most of the event required two characters as the support while another one will be Dev selected characters.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Puritas wrote:
    If you look at the wiki (http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki ... structible)), the difference between level 110 and 141 is about 25% hp/match damage/ability damage. I think heroes scale linearly with levels, so those 30 levels represent an extra 28% effectiveness

Does ability damage scale linearly though?
    Wiki puts punisher's molotov toss/tick damage at 557/113, but at lvl 101 my punisher's mollies are 510/51
    That's a pretty huge attack tile diff if wiki's correct

The numbers for the abilities in the wiki are confusing: my (3/5/5) molotov at level 115 is 558 damage, so I'm not really sure what is going on there. For the sake of science, I just leveled my Punisher from 115 to 120, and here are the numbers that I got for molotov:
    Level 115 - 558 damage / 46 Strike Tile Damage
    Level 116 - 570 damage / 48 Strike Tile Damage
    Level 117 - 570 damage / 48 Strike Tile Damage
    Level 118 - 578 damage / 48 Strike tile Damage
    Level 119 - 578 damage / 48 Strike tile Damage
    Level 120 - 578 damage / 48 Strike tile Damage

Huh. Well, I don't know what is going on with ability damage with respect to leveling anymore.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    It might be a relic of the old leveling system where every character maxed at 50, so the jumps are every 3ish levels for 141 characters.
  • Just popped in to point out that nemek is sitting on $200 worth of ISO. I'm around $175. If nothing else, this has to further illustrate how insane the ISO prices are.
  • For what it's worth, 115 is a pretty good number, as that is where your secondary/tertiary colors will be just below a lv85 2*'s primary/secondary colors, which allows a lot of flexibility in team building.
  • The only thing worse than cheating is bragging about cheating.

I don't think 141 is completely necessary, especially not for a full team. Hulk gets his Anger harder to trigger. Spidey, all he really gets is health. Punisher, his Retribution is % based. Mags can already get close to ohko at midlevel. Gsbw I'd say is relatively important. Also Patch so he commands tiles.