How can I lose 3 battles WHILST I'm losing a battle?

Options
Spiderben69
Spiderben69 Posts: 24
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I am getting so feed up with this game! Can somebody please explain to me how I team matching/reward ratings are meant to work? I play tournaments with a team of mid 50's level characters, to play against similar level matched teams I might be playing to win 16-20 points, to try and win 25+ points I have to attempt to take on a team of characters level 80-100+, yet whilst playing these battle I can be attacked 3 or more times and lose more than 80 points!! It's crazy, like the game is designed to stop people with lower level teams progressing without pouring money into the game to level up...... so did I just answer my own question? If you not prepared to bankrupt yourself on this game it is designed to not let you progress?
I am so sick of playing battles against massively superior team, losing that battle and THEN getting that whilst I was battling, I lost a further 3 battles and I'm the best part of 100 points down on where I was 5 minutes ago........... seriously stupid, just encourages me not to even bother!
It is like the developers entered a competition entitled "Can you make a great game and then monumentally ruin it with updates and sting your loyal customers out of as much money as possible all the while making your game steadily worse and less playable"

Comments

• You aren't the only one, and I don't get it either. I'll be shielded for 3 or 8 hours and not be attacked at all during that time. When I break the shield and fight one or two battles I'm hammered by 2 or 3 attacks. Almost makes you think there is some behind the scenes matchmaking secrets we don't know about.
  • You may be in a bracket too high for your team. The higher the bracket, the more likely you are to be attacked. If this is not the case, blame the broken matchmaking.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really think they should limit the number of losses you can take in a certain amount of time.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    I really think they should limit the number of losses you can take in a certain amount of time.
    Yea I said something like that in another post. Like have a short shield, maybe an hour or half hour long that you can attack through while its up without losing it.
  • Spiderben69
    Options
    Typhon13 wrote:
    You may be in a bracket too high for your team. The higher the bracket, the more likely you are to be attacked. If this is not the case, blame the broken matchmaking.

Thanks, so how do I get put in a bracket that is not too high for my team?
    It's just getting sickening - I play an entire 90 minutes of a lightning round and battle my way slowly up to the top 10, spending hard earned ISO and Hero Points along the way on stockpiles and boosts so that I can try and win against these ridiculously mis-matched opponents, leaving no ISO left to level up my team.... and then in that last 20 minutes of the tournament, instead of progressing further I can only lose points if I continue playing due to this stupid losing battles whilst I'm playing battles scenario! So I end up with a result outside the top 25 and get a **** Captain America cover which is only worth 125 ISO to me to sell because I have a fully loaded Captain America that I dont use already because he's pretty useless!
  • Typhon13 wrote:
    You may be in a bracket too high for your team. The higher the bracket, the more likely you are to be attacked. If this is not the case, blame the broken matchmaking.

You will fall to a lower bracket as you lose more matches and tourneys.
    Some players deliberately smurf in order to compete more easily at a lower level. LR's are great for it, you can usually find a few players with hero levels 15/1/1.
  • There is no way to choose a bracket I am afraid, you get assigned to one. How that is done I do not quite know. In lightning rounds there seems to be only one bracket so no way to avoid it there I believe.
  • You should only have 1 active attack on you at any one time. If someone tries to attack you while you are being attacked, a popup should appear saying something like player already in battle. You could still come back to it, just have to wait.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Because inexplicably they changed all PvP scoring over to 'Hood-style' scoring and everyone has hated it, complained about it and probably quit (partially) because of it.

So, they made shields to help people not lose so many points. But then the shields actually caused users to earn progressions awards (imagine the horror!).

So, they made shielded users invisible, which just increased the likelihood that everyone else would get attacked the higher they get up the ranks.
  • Typhon13 wrote:

It's just getting sickening - I play an entire 90 minutes of a lightning round and battle my way slowly up to the top 10, spending hard earned ISO and Hero Points along the way on stockpiles and boosts so that I can try and win against these ridiculously mis-matched opponents, leaving no ISO left to level up my team.... and then in that last 20 minutes of the tournament, instead of progressing further I can only lose points if I continue playing due to this stupid losing battles whilst I'm playing battles scenario! So I end up with a result outside the top 25 and get a **** Captain America cover which is only worth 125 ISO to me to sell because I have a fully loaded Captain America that I dont use already because he's pretty useless!
    You answered your own question. You are regularly beating teams above your level, through use of boosts, the system sees that you are beating them so matches you against harder teams. The teams you are beating are seeing you, and seeing that you are under strength so you are a natural target to them. My advice is to lose a few matches which will put you back into your natural bracket and only boost in PVE.
  • It's crazy, like the game is designed to stop people with lower level teams progressing without pouring money into the game to level up...... so did I just answer my own question?
    That's certainly not the case at the moment. Outside contention for top 1, or maybe top 5 in a competitive bracket, the degree to which scores are now clustered (probably due to a combination of shielded invisibility and the still contentious anyone can attack anyone update) means there's minimal discernible correlation between roster strength and achievable placement. The top 10 of my NHB bracket has everything in it from rosters much like yours to multiple 100+ 3*s.

But, yes, Demiurge has explicitly stated that your rating is supposed to reflect your roster strength, not only how many matches you grind through and how fast. They don't/didn't want people without so much as a maxed 2* taking high placement in 2-day tournaments. Either they've changed that policy or their systems are failing.

If you're talking about Lightning Rounds, they have 200% buffed featured heroes and are unbracketed. No, you aren't supposed to be able to win high placement in those without high level featured heroes. Why would you expect to? They're an excellent source of ISO, though, which might help you develop the underleveled heroes you have.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Typhon13 wrote:

So you have a pretty **** team and you enter a tournament open to all people including those who have played for months (with monster teams) and you expect do well there? You must understand that mmr is there to help newbies but it does not mean you can ride on it forever. At some point you will start facing better teams and then you are out of luck. Lightning rounds are especially competitive because everyone is on the same league competing for the same prices (top 25). Just because you can't ignore everyone else's hard work and snatch top prices does not mean it is somehow unfair.
  • Spiderben69
    Options
    So you have a pretty **** team and you enter a tournament open to all people including those who have played for months (with monster teams) and you expect do well there? You must understand that mmr is there to help newbies but it does not mean you can ride on it forever. At some point you will start facing better teams and then you are out of luck. Lightning rounds are especially competitive because everyone is on the same league competing for the same prices (top 25). Just because you can't ignore everyone else's hard work and snatch top prices does not mean it is somehow unfair.[/quote]

Of course I enter a tournament hoping to do well. I have been playing for months and have also spent a decent amount of real cash on the game to get to where I am but I do still find it unfair that I can work my way up a tournament leaderboard and then lose 3 battles that are entirely out of my control and slip back down the leaderboard. What you are saying is exactly what I find to be unfair - those of you that have invested more time and money should be the only ones with a chance of the top 10 in tournaments! I am not ignoring everyone else's hard work but it doesn't feel like my own hard work is paying off..... guess I must just be out of luck then and time to stop playing the game and supporting the developer with my occasional payments!
  • You haven't gone into what your roster contains, only "mid 50s". Are we talking about level 50 featured heroes, or Ares and OBW? If the former, the main thing you need now is ISO, and the best place to get that is LRs (and PvE).
    Of course I enter a tournament hoping to do well. I have been playing for months and have also spent a decent amount of real cash on the game to get to where I am but I do still find it unfair that I can work my way up a tournament leaderboard and then lose 3 battles that are entirely out of my control and slip back down the leaderboard. What you are saying is exactly what I find to be unfair - those of you that have invested more time and money should be the only ones with a chance of the top 10 in tournaments! I am not ignoring everyone else's hard work but it doesn't feel like my own hard work is paying off..... guess I must just be out of luck then and time to stop playing the game and supporting the developer with my occasional payments!
    How would you suggest they run an unbracketed 90-minute open event so that you can place to your satisfaction, without adversely affecting someone who can field a better team than you and wanted that same placement? Maybe you just don't like the LR format at all? If you insist on trying to win anything from them, you should be trying to sneak up to a higher rating than you'd otherwise manage early (which is basically what you already did) then shielding for the closing minutes, since they're always insane. Pre-shielding in Speed Evil, you could make top 25 or even better, and get a placement award for top 500 once the last-minute hits had processed.

You should be able to place decently in the slower paced 2-day tournaments with almost anything, given some determination and luck. Lightning Rounds are the most competitive events in the game. imo you shouldn't be shielding and boosting in them for a slim shot at a token when you could use those resources in regular tournaments. LRs are the events above all others that reliably give you free stuff for as many as you can jump on for; you don't want to come out of them with less than you started.
  • 1. You are using a team of in their mid-50s. Which tells me you are using at very least a 2* team that isn't maxxed. You are cannon fodder and a tasty treat to whomever finds you randomly and who see you on their retaliation list. The more you fight, the more you will be attacked.
    2. You state you are spending all your ISO and HP on boosts to do well. You should be using those resources to level up your characters rather than blowing them on boosts.
    3. Your MMR is currently difficult because of the above reasons. The better you are doing, the more difficult your MMR group will be. You now find yourself in an MMR that outclasses you because you opted to bring a sub-par team against other opponents who were likely stronger than you and winning by way of boosts.
    4. Yes, current PvP state is very frustrating, but blaming the game/MMR entirely isn't exactly called for in your case. You definitely had a hand in creating the situation you are in.
  • Spiderben69
    Options
    Hi Veracity, thanks for your response.
    My normal team changes between, as currently: Wolverine Astonishing lv59, Storm Classic lv57, Thor lv54, BW original lv53, Punisher lv47, Spider-Man lv 46 depending on who I'm battling or who I have injured/downed at the time..... one question, how does the AI choose my team for battle I don't play (and usually lose!)?

I did not know that LR's are unbracketed, in fact I didn't really understand the bracketing anyway hence my original posting. It makes sense what you say about LR's and I agree, I don't really like the format but will use it as you suggest to get "freebies". I regularly experience the same "losing multiple battle whilst playing a battle" scenario in the regular tournaments also and still don't really understand how I can ensure that I am placed against similar level teams - I find that I'm regularly being given teams to fight that are way superior to mine i.e. 3 x level 85+ for a reward of only 22 or so points, yet I can be beaten in a battle I don't play and lose 38 points in a single battle.
  • Veracity wrote:
    If you're talking about Lightning Rounds, they have 200% buffed featured heroes and are unbracketed. No, you aren't supposed to be able to win high placement in those without high level featured heroes. Why would you expect to? They're an excellent source of ISO, though, which might help you develop the underleveled heroes you have.

Please explain this bit, how are the LR good source of ISO?
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:

At least for me if you enter the tournament the second it goes live you will face bots that are easy to defeat. You can farm them up to 100 point rewards which means pretty nice chunk of iso for minimal effort.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Veracity wrote:

Because you can beat up on the seed teams to get up to the 250 iso bonus in each round.

So you get say 5 matches: Approx 110 iso per + the 25 bonus for 140 iso + the 50 silver token for 100 iso + the 250 iso at 100 + at lest 70 iso for participating.

Thats 1110 iso on average before you start battling real teams.

From there, if you do okay it can be much more.

LR are great for leveling.

To get the maximum number of seed teams try to open the event as soon as it is available.
  • Spiderben69
    Options
    So I just played 15 mins of the current Patch LR, perfect example - Granted 1st 3 battles were pretty easy and I won a little bit of ISO but after that there were no "winnable" teams to fight: lowest offering without hitting Skip a load of times is a lv20 Patch, lv47 BWO & lv73 Thor for a reward of 23 points, so without buying boosts I have no chance of winning this whatsoever because by the time I've built up enough AP to do some moves, the Lv 73 Thor has already blasted away most of my team with just a couple of his own moves!
    So if I don't use boosts because that is causing my own problem, am I better just to play the 3 easy battles and quit? Taking me back to my original query which is that it doesn't seem weighted to help the non maxed out teams!