What needs to be improved in the 4* transition

Comments

• Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage wrote:
    funny thing is i keep my people around level 90s and could never beat the final nod in deadpool when it came out.. Now i have the ISO to push 15 people from 90 to 130 easy and have interest at all in deadpool since i have almost everyone max and those i dont have max cover i have no interest in using them,

Is this the experience for most people? I was beating DDQ semi-reliably when I got three two-stars to level 70+ (sometimes I had to make several tries - usually if I got through the first stage with enough AP the rest went easy) and once I got them to 94 it has been completely trivial (can't remember the last time I failed).

As for solving the ISO shortage - I feel that increasing the selling price of 3 and 4-star covers would be a good solution. People who need the covers don't have as pressing a need for the ISO and vice versa.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2015
    One problem that I feel deserves attention here is how 4* players/transitioners are blocking out 3* transitioners from their covers to advance.

Many people who actually NEED the 2-3 *** covers found in the top 25 of a pvp are being pushed behind by those playing for 4* covers.

The clear solution to this problem is to create 4* pvp's where placement rewards and ISO rewards are suitable for that tier of play.

The alternative solution is to significantly restructure the existing pvp placement rewards to better accommodate the reality of things. For Example:

Rank 1: All rewards of rank 5 plus one additional 4* cover
    Rank 2-5: 1 **** cover, 15,000 more ISO + all rewards of rank 26
    Rank 6-10: 1 **** cover, 5,000 more ISO + all rewards of rank 26
    Rank 11-25: 1 **** cover + all rewards of rank 26
    Rank 26-50: 3x *** covers, 5000 ISO and 100 HP
    Rank 51-100: 2x *** covers, 2000 ISO and 100 HP
    Rank 101-200: 1 *** cover, 1000 ISO and 50 HP
    Rank 201-300: 1 *** cover, 500 ISO and 25 HP

While 20,000 ISO for top 5 pvp finish may seem excessive, it's worth pointing out that this is only about 5 additional levels for a high level 4* (going from level 250 to almost level 255)

I base these figures on the fact that scores in certain shards at least tend to climb over the 1000 mark within the top 25. Which implies that a score of 1000 is appropriate for a 4* transitioner and therefore the *** covers should be made available to those scoring under 1000. Hence 3x *** covers starting as late as 26-50th place.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I think (3 x 4*) covers is too much for any event, especially a 3-day PvP event. At that point, you're creating a pretty exclusive gated community where thems with enough resources to field two or more full 4* teams will capture almost all of the (3 x 4*) top prizes (and the extra top-tier alliance cover).

I'd like to say that color-synchronicity, matching tactics, and luck would help me against a slew of 4* trios, but there's only so many times I can tilt against scarecrows before my teams are shredded.

And for those who've reached two to five 4* teams to fire off, much praise. I'm not mad at you, but there's no way I'll place above, or even near, you, even if I drop my salary in health packs and boosts. And while I'm picking up my second or third 4* cover in progression, y'all will be deciding whether it's worth having a second Jean Gray or Hulkbuster.

I apologize for my venting, but I just realized I have roster slots alone worth $105, if I made a bulk purchase. I'm still about $50-75 away from unlocking enough roster spots to simply hold one of each released character, and that's before I even get one cover to get there or the ISO to make it competitive. I stopped playing for a few months, and the cost to catch up is looking out of reach. There comes a point (maybe roster slot #60?) where grinding alone won't match the HP needed to maintain my roster without dumping a fully-spec'd character.

The costs to grow a roster, including carrying uncompetitive characters, don't get no cheaper. But y'all knew that already. The amount just hit me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    One problem that I feel deserves attention here is how 4* players/transitioners are blocking out 3* transitioners from their covers to advance.

Many people who actually NEED the 2-3 *** covers found in the top 25 of a pvp are being pushed behind by those playing for 4* covers.

The clear solution to this problem is to create 4* pvp's where placement rewards and ISO rewards are suitable for that tier of play.

The alternative solution is to significantly restructure the existing pvp placement rewards to better accommodate the reality of things. For Example:

Rank 1: 2x **** covers, all rewards of rank 5

While 20,000 ISO for top 5 pvp finish may seem excessive, it's worth pointing out that this is only about 5 additional levels for a high level 4* (going from level 250 to almost level 255)

I base these figures on the fact that scores in certain shards at least tend to climb over the 1000 mark within the top 25. Which implies that a score of 1000 is appropriate for a 4* transitioner and therefore the *** covers should be made available to those scoring under 1000. Hence 3x *** covers starting as late as 26-50th place.

Two things about this:

It murders the 2* level. One can argue that's happening anyway, but this would clinch it.
    It's an absolute Iso flood. Noobs in light brackets and/or bracket shoppers pulling in 25k from a PvP is a heavy handed increase. Whales getting an extra 80k per week (assuming selling the 3*) would be booming.

This is kinda what I'm saying, with the nature of the way brackets are assigned, you can't really set the reward structure to balance transitions through all levels. You can only really do it through progression rewards, where there's a preset 'cutoff' to what different player types can achieve.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do people feel as though there would be any benefit to my idea of simplifying the character rankings, as at least as a part of the short-medium term resolution?
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    babinro wrote:

Rank 1: 2x **** covers, all rewards of rank 5

Two things about this:

It murders the 2* level. One can argue that's happening anyway, but this would clinch it.
    It's an absolute Iso flood. Noobs in light brackets and/or bracket shoppers pulling in 25k from a PvP is a heavy handed increase. Whales getting an extra 80k per week (assuming selling the 3*) would be booming.

This is kinda what I'm saying, with the nature of the way brackets are assigned, you can't really set the reward structure to balance transitions through all levels. You can only really do it through progression rewards, where there's a preset 'cutoff' to what different player types can achieve.

That makes a lot of sense actually. To be honest, I'm not even FULLY convinced anything needs to change at the moment. It's more coming from a desire to 'keep up' rather than an inherent need to.

ISO is a MAJOR problem to whales like Colog because 4*'s are expensive. Yet any vets who are at the stage of focusing on 4*'s and not whaling out on covers will find that they are gaining ISO quite a bit faster than they can spend it. This leads them to either stockpiling a ton of ISO or spending it on character's that may not truly need it.

So while playing for 10 months to finish a single 4* character is probably not ideal for people...it should give them the time to fix their own ISO shortages. Especially considering how most 4*'s are simply really good but not essential at the moment. Nobody NEEDS to level max Jean, 4* Deadpool, Kingpin, Ant-Man or The Thing even though they probably want to.

The same is true when looking at the games 3* tier. You can be reasonably successful by just focusing on about 6-10 of those characters rather than trying to keep up with all 40.

So yeah...I'm clearly torn on this discussion. On one hand things are kind of fine for those who are extremely patient and zen...on the other hand we are playing a game and want to have fun...and that means leveling people who are not optimal long term and just seeing a good sense daily/weekly/monthly progression to prevent us from moving on to another game entirely.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    babinro wrote:
    So yeah...I'm clearly torn on this discussion. On one hand things are kind of fine for those who are extremely patient and zen...on the other hand we are playing a game and want to have fun...and that means leveling people who are not optimal long term and just seeing a good sense daily/weekly/monthly progression to prevent us from moving on to another game entirely.

This is pretty much where I'm at now too. I have one 3* left to max - Beast. I have every other 3* at lvl 166 and spec'ed the way I want them. I have 4 lvl 270 4*s (Fury, XF, Thor and HB) I have several other 4*s fully covered at lvl 200 (Starlord, Elektra, IW and Prof X) but I simply can't justify the cost to max them, since the gain of going from 200-270 (something to the tune of 260,000 ISO) is minimal, and they're not exactly "high tier" characters. Prof X is, but honestly, I don't want him maxed out. The rest of my 4*s are in pitiful shape, and there is now so many of them in the rotation that finishing them off without spending several paychecks worth of $$$. Without a reasonable path to completing these characters, I'm going to begin to lose interest, and fast. Hell, I'm currently working on covering the new 1* Spidey simply to enjoy being able to build, level and use a new character in less than 8 months, even if its only 1-2 nodes per day in DDQ...
  • I feel different from most.

Yes the 4*s take goo gobs of ISO and we do need to raise ISO income, but there are a few other holes to me.

Yes there are people making the 4* transition, but in reality there aren't yet enough 4*s that are truly playable at 4*s. Most people talkign about transitioning are talking about 4-5 characters. There are frankly not enough 4*s for them to hand out covers like candy or every team you fight will be idientical. So before they make it any easier to get 4s, they frankly need more of them, I'd wager 3+ more.

Then we have to0 look at who's playing and where they are in the game, how many players are really making the 4* transition? How many people are really getting the ridiculous 1500 points in PvP? I HIGHLY doubt it's many, its the top 1%, less than that really. You can't just pump tons of ISO into the game as it stands, it will destroy the transition from 1-2 and from 2-3. People will have 3s with not enough covers. The grind will disappear and thus they risk actually losing people who have goals, as those goals will be too easy. So any level of 'ISO Farm', should be tied exclusively to 4*s.

To me, its REAL simple, add additional nodes to DDQ where a featured 4* is required. Currently there are 2 lines - one for 3*s/featured, one for 1* and 2*. Redistribute DDQ to be 4 lines with 2 nodes for each 'star', each giving way to a taco and a certain amount of money. @3* You need the featured character. @4* you need the featured character. No you won't get a 4* cover, but you'll get a chunk of ISO to help with leveling that 4* or another one if you so choose.

Finally is 4* distribution. I saw it already and somewhat cosign it, make them PvE progression awards. Don't change PvP anymore. Its hard enough to crack 1000 without "going outside the game" or already having some max 4*, and both of those would make real tinykitty "walls" to get covers. I wouldn't mind a 'slight' PvP adjustment in progression, but nothing extreme, everyone shouldn't be able to get 3* cover super easy, let alone 4*. IT will just cheapen their value.

But to recap, they IMO still need a few more 4s before they worry about accessability, especially with so many of them currently being skippable (or they could retune them, which I doubt). Then they should worry about ISO, and lock it to ONLY people who are in the 4* transition as to not destroy the other tiers. THEN they should look into distribution of the 4* covers.
    -Unreall
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    There are frankly not enough 4*s for them to hand out covers like candy or every team you fight will be idientical.
    There's an ocean of middle ground between the 4* reward rate now (abysmal) and "handing out covers like candy"

If they even 2x the reward rate of 4*s you'd be stuck with a bunch of icon_starlord.png and icon_invisiblewoman.png so I think they can definitely give out more without ruining the game with oversaturation. To your point it would suck if they overdid it and everybody had maxed 4*s and now that's all your fighting.

There is a middle ground and they can attain it.
  • mjh wrote:
    There are frankly not enough 4*s for them to hand out covers like candy or every team you fight will be idientical.
    There's an ocean of middle ground between the 4* reward rate now (abysmal) and "handing out covers like candy"

If they even 2x the reward rate of 4*s you'd be stuck with a bunch of icon_starlord.png and icon_invisiblewoman.png so I think they can definitely give out more without ruining the game with oversaturation. To your point it would suck if they overdid it and everybody had maxed 4*s and now that's all your fighting.

There is a middle ground and they can attain it.
    I'm not sure there really is. Didn't they just double the percentages like two months ago for 4*s? Each new 4* has had a high percentage on release. They GAVE us Ant Man. I was able to get a JG from just progression rewards. My roster is really strong in 3* land and sucks for 4*s, but I can get a 4* cover with every PvP if I felt up to the effort (that 1300 is ****, IMO its not reasonable without going outside of the game or spending way to many HP or already having a ridiculous roster - so I'm not counting it). The only difference between that and 3*s are DDQ and slightly better drop rates, even though 98% pf tokens end up being 1 and 2*s anyway, so the only way to improve it, if they raised token percentage, it still wouldn't change that much (and luck always favors somethign you already have icon_e_confused.gif ), or they could implement a daily reelase akin to DDQ, but if it was once a week instead of everyday, would people stop complaining? I doubt it.
    - Unreall
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:

This has been a problem since people started getting fully covered 3*s en masse, but it's surely worse now that the release of 3* characters has trailed off and you don't have to be a whale to have nothing but 4*s to play for. I've bought exactly two 3* covers in my career (blue Hoods) and nevertheless I have every 3* but Vision and Ragnarok at 13/13. I'm officially Part Of The Problem. But how else can I get 4*s?
  • I had never really thought about that, all those covers that I sell trying to get 4*s…

Maybe THAT is the solution, some system of trade in. Maybe (3) 3* covers could be traded in for (1) 4* token….debatably this could be done at all levels…
    (5) 1* Covers = > (1) 2* Cover Token
    (5) 2* Covers = > (1) 3* Cover Token
    (3) 3* Covers = > (1) 4* Cover Token
    (5) 4* Covers = > (1) Infinity Gem
    (6) Infinity Gems = > (1) 5* Thanos cover
    (I know I’m just saying…it will happen…)

Sure there would need to be discussions on the ‘value’ of a cover, I mean going off ISO
    1* = 100
    2* = 250 (so ‘3’ 1* covers)
    3* = 500 (so ‘2’ 2* covers, which is way too low even I admit)
    4* = 1000 (so ‘2’ 3* covers, which is again too low)
    So there is no real consistency between value and rarity (if so ‘10’ 1* pulls would be close to get a 4* pull), but the idea could fix some of the cover issues, I know I get sick of not being able to donate 3* to my alliance and just selling them for change…heck my Colossus has 5 in red and somehow yesterday between events and token, I got (3) more reds…turned into 1500 ISO, which isn’t even a lvl for him.
    (shrug)
    Just spit balling
    -Unreall
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    babinro wrote:
    ISO is a MAJOR problem to whales like Colog because 4*'s are expensive. Yet any vets who are at the stage of focusing on 4*'s and not whaling out on covers will find that they are gaining ISO quite a bit faster than they can spend it. This leads them to either stockpiling a ton of ISO or spending it on character's that may not truly need it.

So while playing for 10 months to finish a single 4* character is probably not ideal for people...it should give them the time to fix their own ISO shortages. Especially considering how most 4*'s are simply really good but not essential at the moment. Nobody NEEDS to level max Jean, 4* Deadpool, Kingpin, Ant-Man or The Thing even though they probably want to.

I don't find this to be the case. Day 540ish, I've bought just four PX covers (Steam sale), but I still have six 4* cover maxed and another couple close. Covers are easy (for me). I can get the 1k and 1300 rewards if I want them (in most cases). Tokens are a nice supplement, even if the rarity isn't there.

I also do pretty well in Iso gathering I think (~110k per week), but I'm still considerably short of what's needed, and the gap gets bigger with every release. And that's as someone who doesn't feel there's a ton of benefit between 240 and 270.

I don't think there needs to be massive changes, but there are obvious holes in progression between PvE and PvP that could easily be plugged with Iso rewards. That would help accelerate the top end while keeping lower transitions at the same speed as current.
  • mjh
    Didn't they just double the percentages like two months ago for 4*s? Each new 4* has had a high percentage on release. They GAVE us Ant Man.
    token percentages, and i can't stress this enough, mean absolutely nothing. They are abysmally low and doubling that does zero things to improve your winnings.

Look at the 3* rate which is high in terms of % and you are still lucky to pull 1/10 from tokens.

Yes, they gave us icon_antman.png, good, it should always be like that for new releases.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, a 3* or higher token has to happen just to break even at this point.

A 4* DDQ would help but you'd still be in the same boat at 3*s are in. Waiting for months for that 1 cover to rotate around to finish them.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    mjh wrote:
    token percentages, and i can't stress this enough, mean absolutely nothing. They are abysmally low and doubling that does zero things to improve your winnings.
    Look at the 3* rate which is high in terms of % and you are still lucky to pull 1/10 from tokens.

I'll double check later, but last I looked i was around 56 4* covers from tokens this year. That's not nothing.

And 3* are well better than 1/10. 1/10 would be unlucky.
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    babinro wrote:

This has been a problem since people started getting fully covered 3*s en masse, but it's surely worse now that the release of 3* characters has trailed off and you don't have to be a whale to have nothing but 4*s to play for. I've bought exactly two 3* covers in my career (blue Hoods) and nevertheless I have every 3* but Vision and Ragnarok at 13/13. I'm officially Part Of The Problem. But how else can I get 4*s?

i agree w/ these comments 100%..and i certainly don't hold it against anyone who's in PVP purely for the 4*, because where else can you get them with that kind of regularity? but i've been turned off by PVP since the scoring changes...i've long since given up placement expectations - if i even enter the fray, i just shoot for the event token at 650, sometimes for the 3* at 800, but it's nuts that even with those low scores how quickly the attacks from stacked 3 and 4* rosters come in once i break 500 points or so. and with the new 4* progressions, the hoards frantically going for 1000/1300 don't blink an eye when they see a roster full of soft capped 127s. i can't really justify shielding for such a **** score and a single 3* cover. especially considering i have my resources mostly tied up in PVE - gotta save health packs for the grind and HP for the slew of new characters to roster. not that the PVE grind is exactly fun, but at least you have a sense of control over your performance and placement.

PVP looks more and more everyday like the 4* player's game. so, imma just let you guys do your thing and stay out of the way until there are some more attainable goals for those of us without maxed rosters, or until i can be more competitive.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    One way of increasing the iso and 4* covers flow for the players who need them only (i.e. those transitioning from 3*) would be making a "hardcore" version of DDQ. Basically a DDQ but with an essential 4* in the first node and added difficulty fixed across the board so a player with a 2* roster wouldn't be able to win it.
    essentials don't aid in progression.

That only works when there are very few to begin with. with 15 known ( 1 'unknown') 4 stars now. and some having only been 1000 and 1300 progression and number 1 & 2 rewards since about january that won't alleviate the issue. thats a quick fix for vested players, who already have the option of tossing money at the covers or hitting 1000 and 1300 progression.

When thinking of these fixes, think of them for a 3 star player that has 10 or so fully covered and leveled 3 stars with the rest rostered, instead of a player with 5 covers of all the 4 stars.

thats not aiding transitioning thats aiding in finishing the 4 star tier.

I'm sorry, but if you cannot reliably get 4*s from their release PVEs, or from PVP 1k progression rewards, I'm afraid you are not yet in a position where you need to be fast tracked into 3*-4* transition, but rather, you should finish your 2*-3* transition first. That's why I like about my idea. Obviously ALL players, beginners, transitioners and vets would like to get their hand on the shiny, cool new 4*s. However, only the latter group actually /need/ them. For the others, is an additional burden on their HP and iso that provide no benefit for them due their scarcity. And yes, 4* covers should remain scarce for those groups, otherwise they would quickly jump to have 4* roster without needing pausing to have a 3*roster on the way there. You gotta walk before you run and all that.

Don't be sorry

Just pay attention to what angle I'm approaching this from as I said here (it could be in another thread at this rate because there are like 4 threads with the same discussion, but you quoted what I'm talking about)

When thinking of these fixes, think of them for a 3 star player that has 10 or so fully covered and leveled 3 stars with the rest rostered, instead of a player with 5 covers of all the 4 stars.

When someone has 1 stars strong enough and reliable enough they keep that team and move to 2
    When someone has a strong enough team of 2, they move on to 3.

But according to you, they'd be best off just doing all 40 3 stars.

I've literally said they should finish the transition. if someone has 10 useable 3 stars I'd argue they've kind of been around.

also no group 'NEEDS' 4 stars, we're doing this out of player satisfaction.

No content in game outside of 4 star essentials require 4 stars.

You're post is trying to school me on something that I'm not even opposed to.
    The very post you quoted is just saying that 4 stars are going to be higher in number and not roll around as often.

If it is like DDQ. a 4 star day pops up and a person ready to transition doesn't have THAT particular 4 star they don't get to progress on that singular day. But they are ready to transition. Thats as well as I can describe why I think there are ways besides barring people.

You're way doesn't work to bar people who don't 'need' 4 stars because I have some rostered and I'm transitioning into 3 stars. But you can bet I'm not going to sell them as rare as they are now and how DDQ works atm.

I'd argue that you don't need all 40 maxed 3*s in order to start your transition to 4* but you do need more than 10. 3*s are still the chief group in numbers in the game and they are required in many different ways. As you build up a wide roster of characters that are well levelled enough to climb highly in PVP when buffed, you can literally get a new 4* every 2.5 days. After a while of doing so, it should be easy to have at least one cover of every 4*, allowing you to participate in all of the hypothetical 4* DDQs. That's my whole point: if you are having difficulty reaching that 1k progression reward reliably in PVP, you have definitely not completed your 2-3* transition and shouldn't be worrying about starting the 4* one.

I will also argue that there's a subset of players that do need 4*s: Those who already have all 3*s maxed or closed to maxed and for whom a lack of foreseeable progression would mean growing bored with the game.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    babinro wrote:

It's been at least a couple of months since that was a "problem"... Anyone with a 3* level 120+ roster will (or should) NEVER get placed into a bracket with 3* transitioners...

I've tried all different start times / end times / time remaining, and in 3+ months, I've never seen a bracket (PvP) with anyone with a less impressive roster (I have 1 level 166, but a bunch of 120-153's) than I have (and I check all surrounding players between matches as I climb to ~50th at 800 points).
  • mjh
    This discussion needs more attention as it is becoming the core meta of the game, 2 more 4*s are on their way while people are still trying to get covers from 4*s released over 6 months ago.

In one season there are 10 PVPs. If you are able to hit 1k every PVP that nets you 10 4* covers per season, which isn't even enough to cover max 1 character let alone all 16 (soon to be 17). If you can hit 1.3k every PVP (which takes an extreme amount of out-of-game communication) you can net 20 per season. Great, we're up to 1 and 7/13ths. Add season reward and you have a whopping less than 2 characters worth of covers.

Getting 1st in PVP is completely out of the question for me, and I'm sure most others would agree, as scores seem to be in the 2k and beyond consistently. Way too much time, dedication and not to mention imcoin.png

t2 in PVE is also completely out of the question as it requires more time suck than PVP.

Someone mentioned a 4* added to DDQ once every 5/day cycle. Sure, that would be a soft lob and I would take it however...I would even argue that a full on 4* DDQ, offering 1 4* cover everyday at this point wouldn't be enough for 4* progress at the rate they are releasing them.

TL;DR

- 4* DDQ would barely be enough. At 17 characters that's 221 covers needed. If you got one everyday and exactly the ones you wanted it would take you over 7 months?! (is my math correct?)
    Wow, I feel this fact is disturbing and warrants it's own thread but I don't want to get flamed again

- 1 season can net you between 10-21 covers, not enough.

- getting 1st in PVP and / or t2 in PVE is almost impossible for most people.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    mjh wrote:
    TL;DR

- 4* DDQ would barely be enough. At 17 characters that's 221 covers needed. If you got one everyday and exactly the ones you wanted it would take you over 7 months?! (is my math correct?)
    Wow, I feel this fact is disturbing and warrants it's own thread but I don't want to get flamed again

While there were initial complaints about the timeline of 3* DDQ, overall people seem to be ok with 520 days to max cover every one simply through DDQ.

Overall cover flow from 4* is ok right now. Not great, but ok. The biggest immediate improvement they can make is keeping PvP rewards consistent. Nefarious Foes rewards 100 players a Daredevil cover. Vision (or maybe Kamala's) will award one player a FalCap cover. That discrepancy needs to end.

And tokens need another bump from 3.45% to 5%.