** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) **

Options

Comments

• optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It would be awesome if they could code it such that the CD explosion "wraps" around the screen, so if it's in the bottom left corner 16 tiles in the other corners would also blow up (at 5 red). It's fun to wish right? This is probably my favorite skill in the game, so I'd love to see it buffed in some way.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    Considering that the power description doesn't say "destroys up to a 5x5 block" but rather, specifically: "destroys a 5x5 block," is there any chance we could get the coding changed so that CD tile doesn't spawn on the edges of the board 9 times out of 10 when there's a tinykitty mass of red right in the middle begging to be used?

I mean, really? I know it does the same damage on the edges as it does in the middle, but that seriously minimizes its utility for board shake if it keeps getting buried in the corners where it only destroys 4 tiles, or on an edge where it destroys 15 instead of the promised 25.

I've been noticing this a bit with SW, because she's slowly taking playing time from OBW. When her blueflag.png goes off in a corner/on an edge, she will either create a massive 5-6 tile chain or a 3X2 stack or other in the corner or not. This often means less tiles show up, and it's kind of a bummer.

DBC
  • Unknown
    Options
    The developers have almost certainly accounted for the effect of border cutoffs for Magnetic Flux already.

Assuming a uniform distribution of tiles, the average 3x3 block will destroy 7.56 tiles (+224 damage from tile destruction), whereas the average 5x5 block will destroy 18.1 tiles (+534 damage from tile destruction). The extra 3AP cost for the 5x5 area of effect seems to be quite reasonable in this regard.

If the 5x5 area of effect were somehow guaranteed to always affect 25 tiles, then Magnetic Flux would be overpowered at its current damage and cost, and the power would have to be nerfed. That seems like a lot of work for very little gain, so the developers are unlikely to make any adjustments here except perhaps to clarify the power's description.
  • Unknown
    Options
    rip magstorm....he never got his other abilities changed to compensate
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    I disagree. I use him every day in BE. he now feeds blue a little less but also feeds his own red that creates quite a bit of AP while doing pretty good damage for **. I also use him with steve to feed shields - now he feeds both. he has by no means lost usefulness.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    I disagree. I use him every day in BE. he now feeds blue a little less but also feeds his own red that creates quite a bit of AP while doing pretty good damage for **. I also use him with steve to feed shields - now he feeds both. he has by no means lost usefulness.
    i said rip why u gotta be disrespectful im in mourning icon_evil.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    i said rip why u gotta be disrespectful im in mourning icon_evil.gif
    my apologies. i'll leave you in peace while I go flux some magnetism icon_razz.gif time for my pve clear, where he will be used on at least 2 nodes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Right now I have 5 blueflag.png 4 purpleflag.png 4 redflag.png . Thinking of dropping blueflag.png and adding redflag.png . Any thoughts?
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    coolchip10 wrote:
    Right now I have 5 blueflag.png 4 purpleflag.png 4 redflag.png . Thinking of dropping blueflag.png and adding redflag.png . Any thoughts?

You absolutely want 5 purpleflag.png so either 4/5/4 or 3/5/5
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks! I'm gonna start looking closer at all my guys...I guess before I was just worried about maxing them out. I still need a blueflag.png for my obw to max her at 5 : blueflag.png . Been waiting a while...but I did get my purpleflag.png spidey this am on a standard token.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Both before and after changes I seriously don't see any other good build than 3/5/5.

Purple got changed from amazing blue generator to good blue and fair red generator, making it still amazing skill IF you can take use of both colors efficiently, 5 is a must. Not to mention in 2* it only fights with oBW (which have by far best Purple skill in game and you probably shouldn't mix them) and Moonstone (yeah...).

Magnetic Flux is best Red skill in 2*s land and I'd argue it's more powerful than quite a bit of 3*s. It's one of few skills in game that earns you AP for board destruction, and going from 4 to 5 covers gives you possibility to earn up to 25 AP + cascades. Sure, it randomness makes it so you won't get that good result in every situation, but it will always generate over twice AP when comparing those 2 options.

Rough math that doesn't take into account cascades.
    3*3 (<5 covers) - (4 * 4 + 24 * 6 + 36 * 9) / 64 = 7.5625
    5*5 (5 covers )- (4 * 9 + 8 * 12 + 16 * 15 + 4 * 16 + 16 * 20 + 16 * 25 ) / 64 = 18.0625
    Assuming average tile damage (because it does deal damage for destroyed tiles) of level 94 2* you get pretty much 3000 damage on 5 covers and 2500 on less than 5 covers.

Meanwhile, his Blue was and is still is mediocre bordering on bad. Each time you add covers to make it somewhat better, you also nerf it two ways by both increasing cost and CD time. It's the only skill in game that doesn't actually get better as you put points in it until it jumps at 5 covers, and even then it's still not good. Sure, you blow the board with 5 covers, but how on earth do you protect a random placed 4 turn CD? The only time it's ever reliable it's against Goons, but by time you earn 13 Blue and wait 4 turns, they will launch so many of their own CDs already. Damage wise it's around 3000 assuming all colour coverage team with same level.
    Dropping to 4 covers decreases damage to ~1350, on a 3 turn random placed CD for 9 AP it's not very thrilling.

Comparing 5 covers blueflag.png and redflag.png.
    Both deal same same damage
    bluetile.png advantage over redtile.png : Costs 13 instead 14 AP, destroy 64 tiles instead of ~18
    redtile.png advantage over bluetile.png : Generates ~18 AP. Detonates in one turn instead of four.

redflag.png is so much better than blueflag.png that I would always pick it over other. The only 'hidden' advantage of blue is that in 2*, we have EIGHT redtile.png spenders to only four bluetile.png ones, but given that a) Both Mag and Hawkeye blue is underwhelming b) oBW blue is fake healing and mostly used against CDs c) Storm blue is overpowered for its cost (her having so little health, even below oBW, after health changes is not an error, she pays same tax as Hood/Loki), you glue them together as Stormneto and just forget using him without Wind Storm as outlet. And when you look it this way, there is no longer reason to even think of having more than minimum in his blueflag.png.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Long time 4/5/4. The only time I ever use Iron Hammer is if I'm pairing him with Thor or Ares, and I've mostly farmed out the colors I want and need a board shake. I've tried 3/5/5 before and after the change but the red is just too slow for me and not worth the extra 3 AP.
  • saintsomebody
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Long time 4/5/4. The only time I ever use Iron Hammer is if I'm pairing him with Thor or Ares, and I've mostly farmed out the colors I want and need a board shake. I've tried 3/5/5 before and after the change but the red is just too slow for me and not worth the extra 3 AP.

Red is slow? A 1-turn CD that blows up an up to 5x5 square and can accelerate your entire team by generating AP plus cascades?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    4/5/4 MMN never made sense to me either... I mean if you wait just another 3 AP on red, the returns are so much more. He fuels both blue and red; his own blue is extremely mediocre when classic Storm and Fury exist, so why bother putting extra points in it or depriving red of its potential?
    3/5/5 MMN in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SgRtQFI-pg
  • Unknown
    Options
    daibar wrote:

Red is slow? A 1-turn CD that blows up an up to 5x5 square and can accelerate your entire team by generating AP plus cascades?

Gathering 14 red AP vs 11 red AP is slow. I've generally used red as part of a finisher. I have no use for Magneto's red on waves with a built Cap America.
  • saintsomebody
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    daibar wrote:

Gathering 14 red AP vs 11 red AP is slow. I've generally used red as part of a finisher. I have no use for Magneto's red on waves with a built Cap America.

Fair point. In the right situation it can be awesome, but I will admit that it is very situational.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I mean, it still buries the countdown tiles along the edge or in the corner, but I'm noticing that the ones in the corner are destroying 3x3 tiles instead of 2x2 for me now, and the ones on the edges are destroying 3x5 instead of...I want to say it was 2x3 before.

It's still frustrating that the game selects the corners and edges with regularity, but it does seem to be destroying more tiles when that happens than used to be the case.
  • Unknown
    Options
    you got 5th red cover
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think Phaserhawk has somehow gotten out of his ban by taking over DFiPL's account....

I'll be expecting HiFi to let us know a patch is incoming to "fix" this in 3....2....1....
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Phaserhawk has somehow gotten out of his ban by taking over DFiPL's account....

I'll be expecting HiFi to let us know a patch is incoming to "fix" this in 3....2....1....

Actually, i think Shurak nailed it. Not a stealth buff, nothing to be nerfed, just cover scaling at work.