Upcoming Price Adjustments

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    $99 USD is currently $130 CAD which means that $119 CAD is still a deal, but even on iOS a few months ago (and Google currently) it was $99 CAD. I guess I could grab to Costco iTunes cards and only pay $109 CAD total, but I'll probably just buy a few Starks on Android now to get me through.

A sale would be super right about now.

I'd also like to know if this is a D3/Demiurge decision or not. I know that the iOS price increase was an Apple decision because they adjust to match exchange rates, but traditionally Google does not which leads me to believe that this is a publisher/developer decision.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    $99 USD is currently $130 CAD which means that $119 CAD is still a deal, but even on iOS a few months ago (and Google currently) it was $99 CAD. I guess I could grab to Costco iTunes cards and only pay $109 CAD total, but I'll probably just buy a few Starks on Android now to get me through.

A sale would be super right about now.

I'd also like to know if this is a D3/Demiurge decision or not. I know that the iOS price increase was an Apple decision because they adjust to match exchange rates, but traditionally Google does not which leads me to believe that this is a publisher/developer decision.

From what a red name (Hi-Fi?) said, it seems like a bit of both. iOS adjustments because Apple, steam/android adjustments to balance things out.
  • You may not have full control over whether the prices go up or not, but you do have full control of digital content. Apple will not be telling you how much iso or how many hp you can give away for each dollar spent. The digital product is infinite, once developed, it is done. You can choose to give it away or sell it, no matter, as there is no warehouse to be paid for to hold all the resource, no transport costs that are affected by oil price etc.

Fine, add 20% of cost, but why not add 20% of product as well? That costs you nothing, other than your profit margin.

For the record, the last time I dropped any cash into this game was just before the XForce nerf. And I am keeping true to my promise following that debacle that I won't spend again. Put it up by 100%? Don't care. Down by 100%? Don't care.

When the hp that is left from that last buy runs out, end of story. Excellent customer service, D3. And I mean by that, terrible customer service.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quick question.. if you use Android.. how are you using i-tunes gift cards to fund the game?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Quick question.. if you use Android.. how are you using i-tunes gift cards to fund the game?
    You play the same account on both platforms.
  • Malcrof
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    You play the same account on both platforms.

eww.. ok fine.. but apple products generally do not enter my home, and i don't personally know anyone who uses one.. so that is out.. i could cash out a couple hundred bucks in itunes gift cards from m-points and swagbucks if there was an easier way.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    sagapo wrote:
    So the Nick Fury steam bundle costs $99 in the US.

Costs 599,999 in Indonesia.

Currency conversion rate is 1 US Dollar equals 13523.50 Indonesian Rupiah.

599,999 / 13523.50 = $44.36, so it costs you less in US dollars if you were to buy using Indonesian Rupiah, could buy 2x.

I am definitely not an accounting major so I could be wrong on this...

Direct monetary translation is only one factor.
    You need to also understand the cost of living.

A lot of Brits (myself included before I learned better) used to hate hearing Americans complain about $60 games because that worked out to about £35 and we paid £40 or more. Or when consoles launch in America for $400 and then over here for £400.

Thing is, Brits get paid more than Americans. We have a higher minimum wage and our cost of living is higher, so we earn more. So technically we pay a little less or an identical fee.

I imagine indonesia does not have that high a minimum wage.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    sagapo wrote:

599,999 / 13523.50 = $44.36, so it costs you less in US dollars if you were to buy using Indonesian Rupiah, could buy 2x.

A lot of Brits (myself included before I learned better) used to hate hearing Americans complain about $60 games because that worked out to about £35 and we paid £40 or more. Or when consoles launch in America for $400 and then over here for £400.

Thing is, Brits get paid more than Americans. We have a higher minimum wage and our cost of living is higher, so we earn more. So technically we pay a little less or an identical fee.

There is also the issue with consumption tax being implicitly included/excluded. In the US prices are usually quoted before tax, while in the UK, VAT is included in the prices quoted.
  • Malcrof
    hurcules wrote:
    sagapo wrote:

There is also the issue with consumption tax being implicitly included/excluded. In the US prices are usually quoted before tax, while in the UK, VAT is included in the prices quoted.

No tax on Google play purchases, or google play gift card purchases.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Twombley wrote:
    Fine, add 20% of cost, but why not add 20% of product as well? That costs you nothing, other than your profit margin.
    We may well do that. (Not an announcement) However, to say that it costs us nothing is a bit of a misnomer. True, it costs us nothing to create the currency. But changing HP/Iso inflow has ripple effects throughout the player economy. We don't make those sorts of changes lightly as a result.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    If players want to use an iPhone then they should pay the apple istore extra tax for that luxury. Why I as an android user should pay apple prices?! I chose android for a reason. This is outrageous, where is that extra money going to?

Looks like I will not be spending any money in this game for a while.
  • IceIX
    Omega Red wrote:
    If players want to use an iPhone then they should pay the apple istore extra tax for that luxury. Why I as an android user should pay apple prices?! I chose android for a reason. This is outrageous, where is that extra money going to?

Google Play and Steam both take the same amount of any purchase. That's not an iTunes specific thing.
  • Omega Red
    IceIX wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

Google Play and Steam both take the same amount of any purchase. That's not an iTunes specific thing.

And yet you mentioned yourself that this is in reaction to an update of the apple tier. The bottom line is that after the adjustment apple users will pay the same prices while the rest of us will pay more.
  • Omega Red wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

And yet you mentioned yourself that this is in reaction to an update of the apple tier. The bottom line is that after the adjustment apple users will pay the same prices while the rest of us will pay more.

Uh, the line above the bottom line says we've been paying higher prices than you for a long time, and now you're just catching up.
  • I read the title and thought they were fixing the Iso cost for leveling characters, as my deficit is 3 million and growing. This thread was disappointing in that respect.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

Uh, the line above the bottom line says we've been paying higher prices than you for a long time, and now you're just catching up.

A can of coke has a given price at your local minimart. If you prefer it, you can go to wal-mart and buy the same can for a cheaper price. Now imagine Coca cola forcing into wal-mart a deal to sell their product at the same price of the minimart under the argument that "it's to keep parity among consumers".

Maybe you have been overpaying all this time, or maybe I have been underpaying. Who knows, it is not your fault nor mine. I always thought that the difference in prices was simply the product of free market and fair competition among digital content providers. For all I care I would rather pay directly to D3 if that meant cheaper prices for not including a cut for apple, google or steam.

What I find infurating is that suddenly now I have to pay more for a product, just because a store where I never buy anything decided to review prices.
  • Poor Korea, according to chart it's 1000% increase, this has to sting.

Seriously though, some of those price increase doesn't even have iOS/Steam price, like in Ukrainian case it just doubles. Many of poor countries had to pay half of USA price because they earn third or less on average, now the new 'fair' price is insane. I mean, even in Poland cost to wage ratio was stupid so 20% increase doesn't change much... but all this will do is stop people from purchasing at all. Stark Salary is 1/4 of average monthly wage... I just don't understand the point of that.
  • I looked at the spreadsheet, and I saw something that was very concerning. I think the grim truth is out on how D3 feels about its player community especially when they complain..... If you look at the change rate on the Spreadsheet for "Bugle Pittance" and the iso item of the same price "Dead Drop", They let us know what they are REALLY thinking.... It clearly says "Drop Dead". Are they trying to tell us something? icon_razz.gif Really though, I'm just teasing (though it DOES actually say that on the spreadsheet if you check it out). I just found it really funny when I saw it. I figured it was either a typo, or an autocorrect or something. Either way, just a silly observation on my part.
  • IceIX
    Nivrax wrote:
    Poor Korea, according to chart it's 1000% increase, this has to sting.
    Korea pays in USD on iOS and in local currency on Google/Steam. So it's not quite that bad. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Malcrof
    IceIX wrote:
    Nivrax wrote:
    Poor Korea, according to chart it's 1000% increase, this has to sting.
    Korea pays in USD on iOS and in local currency on Google/Steam. So it's not quite that bad. icon_e_smile.gif

Plus N Korea just created it's very own new Time Zone! So .. may need a new bracket