* Spider-Man (Original) *

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Inarius
    Inarius Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    santa maria, dare i say he looks better than his 3* counter part if he were a 3* himself or a 2* for that matter.

I'm almost done pulling all the right covers for him, so far he's at 3/5/2 but am hoping the remaining 3 purple drop sometime tomorrow icon_e_biggrin.gif

looking forward to using him once he's properly leveled against goon nodes XD
  • As I approach his 3/5/5 build, this Spidey is great. I wasn't sold on Spectacular Strategy in writing, but in practice, it's been a solid power.

3/5/5 is definitely the best build for Venom Devour combo, 5/3/5 showed promise as well, but I think having his stun cheaper is a better choice, regardless.

I won't be keeping venom however, as fun as pulling off the Devour was, and as amazing as it seemed at the time, he's not worth the roster slot.

I did use the team of Spidey, Juggs, and Venom, to beat DDQ node 2 with Spidey at 20, Venom at 30, and Juggs at 40. Mopped up goons on the first wave and built AP. Finished with a web swing. Then spammed Spidey abilities in one turn to build to 6 tiles and devour IM 40, and proceed to mop up remaining goons. The node's still a cake walk with anyone else, I just wanted to try it for the challenge.

I would -love- to see a variant of this Spidey in 2 star/3 star land, but I suspect his purple and blue would be broken there.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have him at 3/5/5 Level 1. Put him with two characters that make a rainbow, and just use his purple to cause havoc...obvioulsy, PVE not PVP.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Kolence wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    I think it's interesting that Venom dominates this character. It relies on web tiles, but there's no ability here that gets rid of web tiles. If you use his abilities too much, Gargan's only 12 black from downing any character.
    I think placing 4 crits has a good chance to cause cascades that will get rid of a few Web tiles.

Made a 535 on my sandbox and the crits instant matched immediately and the web tiles were mostly left intact. Once it gets started the web tiles don't really disappear.
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    I held onto over 30 standard tokens and opened them today (since OSM was being introduced today). I didn't get a single OSM cover. has anyone gotten any?

Turned in like 150 and ended up with 553. I'll wait for the last 2 purple from PvP wins. (10+ red covers, 8 or so blue, very few purple)
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    I think it's interesting that Venom dominates this character. It relies on web tiles, but there's no ability here that gets rid of web tiles. If you use his abilities too much, Gargan's only 12 black from downing any character.

His purple looks great, especially against goons. He could conceivably be used as a utility character 3/5/5 with teams needing purple/blue active coverage. Will probably waste a roster slot on him... because he's spiderman. Hope the art is good. Can see new players using him with Storm for rainbow active coverage, and him tanking.

I think that's honestly appropriate. Venom suppresses Spider Sense, so in a direct one on one fight between the two, Venom has always had the upper hand. Spiderman has only been able to defeat Venom by using his wits and other outside sources to weaken him.

This does also open the door for the Spidey/Venom combo being revived for the 1st time in well over a year! New players will probably carry a Spidey/Venom team into PvP and see some pretty high scores, perhaps even high enough that I may see some easy points floating around icon_twisted.gif

I honestly think 1* Spidey / Venom should be able to clear the 395 Hulk only node fairly easily.

Nl2XRar.jpg

Mission complete
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:

Nl2XRar.jpg

Mission complete

Well done. I sold off my Venom before I could try. My 1* Spider-Man had been relegated back to PVE trivial nodes and non-Bagman DDQ.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder if the venom combo will be useful in ultron events. Tank with third character until 6 web tiles are on the board, then devour.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When did Web Swing get changed? It used to be 9 AP, damage plus conditional damage with web tiles. Now it's 6 AP, flat damage.

Wait a sec, all of his powers got changed. Now blue is 6 AP, 1 turn stun, plus damage. No web tile creation nor additional stun with web tiles. Purple is 6 AP, 2 critical tiles, plus damage. No web tile creation nor conditional 4 critical tiles.

What the heck? Was this done to nerf the purple team up or something? Why doesn't Spidey create any web tiles? That's part of the point of the character is it not?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When did Web Swing get changed? It used to be 9 AP, damage plus conditional damage with web tiles. Now it's 6 AP, flat damage.

Wait a sec, all of his powers got changed. Now blue is 6 AP, 1 turn stun, plus damage. No web tile creation nor additional stun with web tiles. Purple is 6 AP, 2 critical tiles, plus damage. No web tile creation nor conditional 4 critical tiles.

What the heck? Was this done to nerf the purple team up or something? Why doesn't Spidey create any web tiles? That's part of the point of the character is it not?
    Well that... is downright weird.

Guess someone figured the Web mechanic was A ) too complicated for 1*s or B ) made it too easy to get Web tiles via team ups for 5*s

@Brigby probably the most unfortunate part, since he's just a 1*, is the lack of communication. People 'round here tend to get crazy conspiratorial ideas about what other unannounced changes might be occurring :)

And dang it, now I need to redo my spreadsheets.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've been thinking of selling 1* Iron Man and replacing him with 1* Spidey for DDQ just for a change to my usual routine. Does he do more damage now after these sudden unannounced changes?
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes and no, everything is cheaper so he is faster so he does more damage, but he can no only make 2 crit tiles as opposed to 4 so under optimal conditions no.  I think the change is great the speed is a huge improvement.  Overll the answer is yes he does more damage but his ceiling is not as high anymore.  He is going to be a little pain in the butt in balance of power.  He was good before he will be crazy good now.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He's certainly better than 1* Iron Man even with his changes.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    I was flagged and warned for digging an old thread up and reviving it. 
    I can see that this thread also has been dead since 2015 before received 5. December. Would I do something good or something bad by flagging the revive post?
    This is the discussion thread in the character discussion forum, we are supposed to post here to discuss the character in question. If we weren't allowed to bump threads here things would get awkward.
  • GreenyBoy
    GreenyBoy Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    What? We're not allowed to write on a official character tread?
    Doesn't make any sense opening a new tread when one is already made :0
  • xavierixeq
    xavierixeq Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I am only guessing it has something to do with the Spider Family affiliation created.  Looks like 1* Venom got another change too. His symbiote snare has web requirements now.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Does this count as a nerf or a buff?
    I'm gonna swap my only fully leveled 1* Iron Man for Spider-Man to see what he can really do.
    Its more of a "sidegrade" than anything else.

Red now costs 3 less AP, base damage has been upped slightly to compensate (it used to require webs to increase
    dmg)

Blue now does some damage (didnt before) and youre limited to 1 turn of stun (used to be 2 turns with 2 webs). It doesnt really matter honestly.

Purple you definitively lose out on though. Costs 2 less AP but youre limited to 2 crits, it used to be 4 with enough webs out. I guess you could save 12 purple and double cast it to get the old effect without having to bother with web management but its less effective than putting 4 crits at the same time.

His purple was fun with a 5* to profit from the crazy damage they can do with crits, havent tried it again since the change.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is a wash most of the time.  Purple is faster so you use it more but the upper damage limit is worse 2 vs 4 crits.  He is still going to be nasty in balance of power but not devastating like he used to be.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, this is a great upgrade. I've been using solo Spidey in DDQ for months and he used to be sooooo slooooow that I was considering going back to Juggs, but now he's quick and I'm happy. I like being able to use Spidey every day - he's my favorite.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What's his best build? I'm considering swapping out Juggernaut for him. Juggs is powerful yes, but holy **** is he boring to use.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    What's his best build? I'm considering swapping out Juggernaut for him. Juggs is powerful yes, but holy tinykitty is he boring to use.
    I switched to max his red and purple. Blue stun doesn’t go up, and the damage scarecly changes, so save the AP for Widow Sting. You still probably want the crits from purple, so might as well max the damage. And red’s only job is damage, so maxing that seemed best.