Iron Fist Purple - Really RNG?

Options
13»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's been good analysis posted for Fist green vs Fist black in Fist thread, IIRC. Anyway I've yet to complain about the 553 build. Definitely suits my needs. My reasoning is, auto attack tiles don't get much better than being auto, could as well max the active skill instead. Same reason many people go 5/3/5 for Carnage.

Two important differences between IF and Carnage spring to mind:

Carnage's passive is open ended, it just keeps adding damage over damage forever. 3-->5 just makes the friendly tiles slightly stronger than the enemy ones. The overall effect that carnage has on the game is the same at either level.

With a 5/5/3 IF, your attack tile is only doing 260 damage a turn. that's fine if you are just using the attack tiles to double dip on strikes (be they IFs or someone else's). But IMO IF's best attribute other than black generation (and cheap damage with purple after 12 black ap) is that he can burn down those pesky support characters that suppress AP very quickly without the need for casting abilities or circumventing "jump in front" mechanics like deadpool or Thing. That's a huge help in pvp or any match that you need to end quickly. And at only 260 damage per turn, his attack tile takes twice as long to do that job and can be basically nullified by a Cage protect tile.

As a side note, almost all of the older passive abilities are worth maxing (Falcon, patch, laken, hulk, Cap. Marvel, Spidey, to name a few), but more recent characters with passives have been more open to builds with only 3 or 4 in the passives (carnage, thing, jean grey, arguably iron fist and cage, Khan, Prof. X, etc). I wonder if this is a conscious design change by demiurge because they felt that the older passives were too powerful.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is a lot more interesting than ppl seem to realize. They've told us in the past that they rng once for pve and then a separate one for pvp. After that the rotation of each is based on its initial rng covers.

In other words, if fist purple was t5 the first time, then that was the rng covers being set. Which means, purple should not be t5 again because the covers should rotate now based on the covers from the first pvp.

TL; DR: T5 for purple is an error. Too bad they don't change this after the rewards preview is available.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got sick of waiting and bought an IF purpleflag.png when I only had 2. I got another from a random standard token within 24 hours. Holding off for the last one with the DPD in a few weeks.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been fortunate enough to stumble on an 444 IF through tokens and 1 complete circuit of DDQ.....

and he rocks. Can't wait for DDQ to complete the purple set

BP on the other hand.... i have more Bagman covers icon_eek.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Like I said, 5 black for Fist is mostly relevant versus AP thieves or other squishies like Storm. You don't get to see them often in high-scoring PvP. Actually you never see them during hops beyond 1100 points, especially Loki. Hood might make an exception here or there. Versus the behemoths that are buffed lazy Thor, Goddess, Hulkbuster, Fury, etc., Fist black is only relevant as a source of double-dipping with strike tiles, yeah.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now that the event preview is up, at least we're getting a purpleflag.png from 800-point progression.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Now that the event preview is up, at least we're getting a purpleflag.png from 800-point progression.

I was somewhat happy when I saw that, but I am still mad about the current pvp. 3 purples is still useless. Did we already get the purple from the current cycle of the Deadpool dailies?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nope, it's coming up in about three weeks. (August 19)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since my IF was 5/2/5, I had to buy a purple cover so I could max him for this PvP. And now with the 800 progression being purple and the upcoming DDQ, I can finally get him properly covered and start really using him.