Duplicate characters

Options

Comments

• donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was tempted to start a second JG and HB in the last few weeks, but the opportunity cost to level them - plus the hp needed to buy the roster slot - definitely outweighs, in my opinion, the benefits of having a duplicate character, even in their case.

It's cheaper to buy the occasional single health pack (if strictly necessary), or to pull an emergency 5 pack from tacos.
  • Don't you need to finish the first silver surfer before trying to build a duplicate silver surfer?
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My most valuable dupe is my px dupe.

I over levelled my first px, (171) so red boost (featured) breaks charlie angels. My 2nd is not going to have this problem.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got rid of my duplicates with the exception of 3* Deadpool. I have a lone purpleflag.png cover that I use to give out Whale TU's to my alliance.

I refuse to sell my bagman... he will be buffed one day.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I got rid of my duplicates with the exception of 3* Deadpool. I have a lone purpleflag.png cover that I use to give out Whale TU's to my alliance.

Hey, bagman is useful! I love snarky team ups, especially when rocking a boosted cage.. get that tile out and have it last 10+ turns. Yes pls.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have a dupe Kamala Khan, only because I ended up with 5 covers for her after her last featured pvp and it seemed like a waste to just sell them all. Otherwise I don't see myself keeping dupes when my base roster still needs so much work.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I keep 2 OBWs. Use them for goon nodes and switch them out when injured.
  • Turbosmooth
    Options
    I was rocking 3* Storm and Groot as my premiere 3* team for a long time. I built seconds of them, but sold Storm for a new character. I still have second Groot because I leveled him to 105. Feels like a waste if I sell. But I barely use either Storm or Groot now days.

I have built or am in the process of building Cyclops, Cage, Fist, 3* Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Professor X duplicates. Scarlet Witch is my highest priority as I use her on all purple teams. Fist is second priority. Cage would be nice with an alt build. Professor X is only at 2/1/0 and will take a long time to build. Cyclops is awesome and both are 5/3/5, but don't use him much as he is medium speed.

I still need a ton of ISO to level up the rest of the 3*/4*s to 166 so by the time that happens, I'll be needing to take 4*s to 270 and these duplicates will never be used except for 1000 HP suck.
  • I have a 2* OBW, Mags and Storm as dupes but I haven't put any iso in them yet. I use them when get buffed and play trivial nodes in PVE.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have a roster of 104.

2 x Lv 94 OBW's - Priceless still a go-to in PvE
    2 x Lv 94 2* Thor - Never use it anymore (apart from DDQ) but spent a lot of time/effort/iso getting both there during 2* land that I am not selling one.
    1 x IW - Lv 70 1/0/2 - keep getting duplicates get to 3/4 covers then sell them - I don't learn from my mistakes
    1 x XF - Lv 70 2/0/2 - Sold quite a few but still use him a bit so started recollecting

Blade, Sentry, Hood & Patch - All Lv 41 with alternative builds - fully covered
    GSBW, IM40, Loki, Falcon, Lcap, Storm, Hulk & Punisher - All Lv 41 fully covered - duplicates - no idea why!

Spidey Lv41 4/5/3
    Thor Lv41 5/2/5
    Cage Lv 41 3/1/5
    Mags Lv41 2/5/2
    IF Lv 41 2/0/2
    Cyclops 0/0/1 - sold a few of these then had event where he was boosted - 1 man killing machine
    Kamala 1/0/0 - as above
    Ares Lv 17 4/4/5 - absolutely no idea why this is still there when I have 40 Lv 166's ??
    Jugs Lv 1 - fully covered - justified by useful in Bop (however no Bop's for a while & the last one couldn't be bothered anyway)

I think I need help!!
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    kkengvib wrote:
    Simple question... are they worth the investment?

With 10 health packs, how likely are dupes going to be used?

I know many in 2* land toy with the idea of having a 2nd OBW since she's so useful.
    I know people who have a 2nd fully leveled LThor, but perhaps there was more of an argument back when we only had 5 health packs.

I'm well into 3* land with over 20 fully covered 3s and have toyed with the idea of having dupes for some of the more premier characters. I have 6 dupes but have not invested any ISO into them because I'm still unsure whether I'd ever get to use them. That's 6 slots I can open up and save on future HP spending.

So what does everyone think?

double OBW may save ur health pack, but when u go into 3 star or 4 star land, the roster price was expensive. u may not need dublicate 2 star character
    actually i am a 3 star to 4 star transition player
    There are some 3 star character could be an alternative to be duplicate
    Hood: 553 or 355.
    Thor: 355 or 553
    patch: 535 or 355
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I'm working on a few duplicates, but I don't have the ISO to really make them useful yet.

It isn't so much about having the same character as having different team dynamic options. For instance, my first 4Pool is 5/3/5, but I want to build another that I can pair with Thing that has 5 black covers. Probably 3/5/5. Pair them with Surfer so that Surfer tanks the damage and I'm not reliant on true healing 4Pool. I could also pair that ThingPool with a lot of others: boosted Cyclops, Hulkbuster, or anyone that I'm going to be using red somewhere else. I think XFW/Thing/4Pool with the Alt design would also be pretty vicious. Alternatively, using Switch to power up the purple for more uses.

I'm also considering a 5/5/3 Jean to complement my 5/3/5. Giving up damage on the green AoE for more AP drain and more damage on the counter. Pairs well with anyone looking to use green, since I find that I rarely get her green off nearly as often as her purple... perhaps because green batteries are harder to come by. That said, she then becomes a deadly opponent against anyone using a battery. Having that second option allows me to sub out Jean when the node, PvP matchup, or retaliation dictate. A 5/5/3 Jean is a much more powerful counter to FistBuster for example.

As for Hulkbuster, I've had so many black and blue covers show up that I have a 3/5/5 and a 0/5/5. Once I find the other two red covers, I'll be turning my higher level into a 5/5/3, but having an X/5/5 in my back pocket just to power up a red user isn't a terrible idea. Don't even need the ISO, since the strike tiles and the protect tiles are the only thing I'm losing, while still turning as many green tiles into reds and directly infusing red AP for 11 Black.

In three star land I have KK at 3/5/5 and a second KK that will be 5/5/3. There are times when I don't need her for her nuke because I'm pairing her with Jean Grey or someone else that is using the green tiles. In that case, her duplicate will be used to heal and power up green for the other user. She's already started getting some ISO, but that will need to hold off now that I'm getting more four star covers and need to level up my weaker 4*s for the legendary token fights.

A second Cyclops is also in the works. My primary is the standard 5/3/5 build, but there are times when I might want to use someone else's red or black, so having a 3/5/5 or a 5/5/3 option might be a good idea.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sligr.jpg

avengers-hulk-smashing-loki.gif

slj5u.jpg

avengers-hulk-smashing-loki.gif
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm building dupe icon_lukecage.png and icon_hood.png as I see merits for builds other than my preferred. star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png and icon_doctordoom.png also under consideration for second versions.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I recently decided to make duplicate characters when I realized that 90% of my DDQ was just ISO, so I made duplicates.

KK: I want to make a 3/5/5 for PVE. I currently have a 5/3/5 and I realized the 5 purple can be very useful
    Blade: I want to make a 3/5/5. Currently I have a 5/3/5 but I earned 5 black covers first and I'm so use to the higher damage and AP steal.
    Steve Rogers: Obvious reasons. I love him for Goon nodes and he's very useful in general
    Thor: My first dup character only because I kept pulled Yellow covers. My dup is 1/5/1
    Loki: I love him with Patch but there are times he dies because I keep him at level 90 so I want to make a second version that I can level higher. Plus I found that 2 purple is better than 3 purple.
    Hulk: I want to Hulkbomb more
    Groot: I want to make a 5/3/5. Same reasons as Blade, I got use to using his higher damage and board shake with green.
    Luke Cage: I want to make a 5/3/5. Same as Blade and Groot, it took FOREVER to get 3 yellow (all from DDQ) so I'm use to having high red protect tile and stun with black
    Captain Marvel: I want to make a 5/3/5 for PVE. Her black sucks at 3 but I would like to destroy all of Bullseye's shields.

So yes I have ALOT! I'll eventually replace with 4*'s once I slowly get new ones. I'm missing Mr. Fantastic, Carnage, Thing.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't do dupes. I've just learned how to maximise combo potentials with what I do have . it's fun to experiment.
  • Buret0
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Hey, bagman is useful! I love snarky team ups, especially when rocking a boosted cage.. get that tile out and have it last 10+ turns. Yes pls.

Bagman put a locked tile on my black hole. That's some webbing!
  • Buret0
    Options
    I have figured out that you can hide your cover layouts by having a duplicate. If you are looking at my roster and considering fighting me and you see that I have a team of Jean Grey, 4Pool, and Thing, you have no idea whether you are going to be facing my 5/5/3 or 5/3/5 Jean Grey or whether you are facing my 5/3/5 or my 3/5/5 4Pool.

That extra damage and AP drain is fairly minimal on the 5 cover blue for Jeanie, but knowing whether you are looking at a 5 or 3 cover black 4Pool makes a big difference. You can't tell until the battle starts which character you are up against (assuming both are the same level).

The annoying part: having to keep checking the info on your duplicates to make sure that you are sending in the right one. Sometimes one will be listed first, sometimes the other. The sort seems completely random.
  • Buret0
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    We can click or tap on the opponent's characters on the add your boosts/team-ups selection screen.. it won't show the specs, but we can read the character's skills. icon_e_smile.gif

So, a bit annoying for you, a bit annoying for your attacker.. is it still worth having a duplicate? (rhetorical question.. icon_lol.gif )

Okay, so just make one level 270 and one level 269 so that I can tell them apart? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have dupes of Loki, Hood and OBW at minimum level. They are useful for PvE grinds where I want Patch/Grocket/Laken/Deadlierpool/XForce tanking everything and just need their specials.

Minimum OBW also is good whenever Balance of Power comes to town. She regenerates health so very quickly.