Duplicate characters

Options
Unknown
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Simple question... are they worth the investment?

With 10 health packs, how likely are dupes going to be used?

I know many in 2* land toy with the idea of having a 2nd OBW since she's so useful.
I know people who have a 2nd fully leveled LThor, but perhaps there was more of an argument back when we only had 5 health packs.

I'm well into 3* land with over 20 fully covered 3s and have toyed with the idea of having dupes for some of the more premier characters. I have 6 dupes but have not invested any ISO into them because I'm still unsure whether I'd ever get to use them. That's 6 slots I can open up and save on future HP spending.

So what does everyone think?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It might depend on if you mainly play PvE or PvP.

I mainly play PvE and have two OBW's which are extremely useful - particularly during the two hour end of sub grind when you really need to conserve health packs as much as possible to maximise the amount of points you can grind from the nodes. I can switch out one when her health gets low and by the time the second one is damaged the first has often nearly healed or at least healed enough to be used without having to use a health pack.

I only have nine 3*'s fully covered but intend to start a second LCap and Loki when I get chance for the same reason.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dupes?! With roster slots at those prices?!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB0kv_GAYkyeYrPGsJeTrWRNgYleRyntoAjXAToc0WQMrMIuxgxQ

I'm booting out my 2*'s and people are still keeping dupes. looooooool!
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    Options
    I've got 4 OBW and they've saved me a LOT of Health Packs when grinding down PVE events in the last 2 hours. Once you transition beyond the soft cap of 94/104 then maybe it does not make sense to keep duplicates anymore.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Regarding duplicate characters and therefore covers you should not get them at all. In fights can't use same PC versus NPC so why have them in roster. What we need to look at is when you have 5 covers of a PC then get a token pull for same maxed cover.

In another Marvel games they flag as Duplicate Champion and convert to ISO and other items. Receiving a gold token and opening to find what you already have is disheartening, and even worse is the sell price in ISO. Ideally there should be ISO and even a 10% Hero Point of token cost maybe. 2 star plus token are typically 200/300 a go so selling your wasted 3 star should give you 20/30 HP. You can get a benefit to buy roster slots or buying specific covers if going that way.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Once saw someone with a whole roster page of OBWs but they had stuck at 94 so would be useful for them. Outside heroics they probably won't need to heal often.

Just started building a 2nd Lthor and Loki but if I need the space they will probably have to go.

So they might just be placeholders delaying the binning of good covers. Hate binning good covers!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am building a duplicate Cage and IF. Cage is useful no matter what his spec, but for pve I prefer 3/5/5 - unfortunately that is his worst spec for pvp. So I am building a second Cage who will be 5/3/5 for pvp. My IF is currently 3/5/5 which is very useful for bringing down low hp support characters (hello Hood/Loki/OBW), while for longer fights I would prefer to have my IF 5/5/3.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    If you look at my roster, you know which camp I fall under. icon_cool.gif Aside from the TU covers (4 mbw w/ 5 blue, etc.), I have duplicate (at lower level) of Hood, Patch, AstWolf, Ares, Daken, Jug. I use them primarily for pve grinds and occasionally I get lucky and my dupes become part of the weekly buffs (like Ares for The Hulk pve). The idea is to use your dupes to grind pve nodes, and save on heals. The strategy works quite nicely, as I bought only one heal pack this entire month, and we've had some highly competitively pves for new covers (i.e. Antman).

I would luv to get more dupes of 3 star.png characters, but I can't afford to buy too many 1,000 spideycoin.png slots anymore.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Building a dupe Daredevil, just 5 cover purpleflag.png for sending team ups to my alliance, helps people with ninja/muscle nodes. Yes , it is worth the extra 1k hp for the slot.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My alliance once dubbed my Roster "The Clone Army" .

There was a time when i had a fully covered dupe for almost every 3*, fully covered Dupes of IW, 4hor, XF, and Fury, Devil DinoSaur and fully covered OBW, Juggs, and Ares (for events like BOP).

Once my roster slots hit 83, it became just too expensive (1K+ HP per slot) to keep them all and i gradually started selling them off.

I haven't purchased a roster slot in ages and i am down to fully covered dupes for only the characters that are 1) super useful in PVE or that 2) have legitimate alternate builds.

Current dupes on my roster are Hood (355), Blade (355), Dakan, KK (535), Patch (all for their healing abilities), 3* Cap and Falcon (Useful in PVE), Cage (535) and Fury (553).

All of my dupes are either unleveled or minimally leveled. With the change in iso cost to bring a 3* up to level 120, this is the first time that i'm considering actually leveling some of them. My 355 Hood would be the first candidate because he is really useful to play with KP (who i run frequently).

In the end, i'll probably end up selling off my dupe Falcon and Fury...but after that, i'll begin buying slots again.

The only dupe that i regret selling off was my 355 Captain Marvel, whioh is ideal for PVP (my maxed C Marvel is 553 (for PVE).

easy...marc
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other than one IW cover when they were unloading characters on us and roster slots were going fast and furious, I've never a sold a 4* cover. Figure with their rarity, it's worth having the duplicates.

I have 2 OBW which I still use in PvE, even in the 4* transition. I started building a second 3Thor too, but not sure I'll level him.

Besides above, here's how I see duplicates now. If you want that luxury, its to take advantage of multiple builds that make sense across the two basic game modes. As others have said, Cage is a notable one, Cyclops is another (5/3/5 stand alone, 3/5/5 as a red feeder).
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have 2 OBW's and they were super useful early in my transition, especially when I was doing PVE a lot. Now that I do minimal PVE, I have found that I seldom use my second OBW.

I have debated getting rid of her and building either a second SW or R&G, because they are my favorite 3*.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have a few, used to have more but they got booted when 10 Healthpacks were announced, here are the ones I have left

Loki, same build, one is level 166 for pvp and the other is lower level so he won't tank in PvE/early matches PvP or last match before i shield

Hood, one has 5 yellow one has 5 blacks , the 5 black one is lower level for PvE, I like him with Lcap

Cage, working on the second one. The main one has 5 red but I want one for offense with 5 blacks

OBW, she is a monster when featured in PvE

the ones I booted when health packs went up: Hulk, 4thor (I've always been lucky with her I was just drawing her left and right),
    Also I am working on a second Iron Fist, more like a roster place holder, ill sell him when he gets nerfed.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    I have a dupe IF, that I am working, 3 covers currently.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have started a second thor, loki and mags and once more covers come in i'll also start fist and hood and maybe cap (not starting hood till I get a 6th blue - so....many.....yellow). I do need an hp sale though. won't be starting any of those with my hp where it is now and if I swing jean, i'll probably have to sell mags (only -/1/1 now). those are the guys I use the most and it was suggested only dupe the ones you use the most, so there you go - thor loki mags with fist, hood cap behind. might consider Cyclops too down the line, but really I just need a sale for now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Now that roster prices are capped it's pretty easy to assess a duplicate character's value. They are basically a health pack in waiting for the character especially if you build them identically. A health pack is nominally worth 50 HP if you have to buy them because you ran out (which is the only time you would need an identical duplicate), a roster slot costs 1,000 HP. So then that duplicate character should save you 20 health packs to be worth it in the long run. I dunno about you, but with the change to 10 health packs I have a hard time running out let alone needing to buy them to place where I want to. Also PvP shields are a way more economical way to get health packs, with a 3h shield regening 5 of them for 75 HP (over time while your points are protected). For me identical duplicate characters are not worth it.

Characters that are built differently than their matching characters on the other hand can be totally worth it. A Hood that doesn't tank colors in PvE. A Hulk that gets Angry at level 395 match damage. A Juggernaut that's level 1 so he heals quicker for Balance of Power. A Marvel Now Magneto that only has 5 purple covers and nothing else so you can send him as a TU to your alliance. There are a ton of reasons to have slightly modified versions of the same character. There are less reasons to have straight up doubles.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Only if HP is not an issue for you. I have started building dupes. I'm up to 92 roster slots, 23 dupes (4 4*, 18 3*, 1 2*). Originally, it was only going to be true healers and characters I primarily used in PVE and PVP, to save even more on healthpacks. I was sitting on 14k HP, and it only kept growing (only use 1-2 shields in PVP). Once they capped the roster slots at 1k, I decided dupes wouldn't be a bad option. I originally hoarded HP with the intention of buying roster slots, as needed for new characters. Down to 3725 HP now. Trying to keep 5k banked away, but I keep buying roster slots for dupes.

Out of the 40 3*s, I only need BP black, KK green, IF purple, and whatever build I decide to build Bullseye at, who is currently 5/1/5. So after the next cycle of Deadpool's Daily, with the exception of Bullseye, I wouldn't be able to use any 3* covers. It's always pained me to sell 3* and 4* covers I couldn't use, b/c I haven't forgotten how rare they used to be. There was a point where I'd have 9 covers of a 3* character, due to token pulls, Deadpool's daily, PVE/PVP, figured why not go ahead and build a dupe. Building dupes has allowed me to have something to go after now. I look forward to Deadpool daily covers, and it's like I've started the game over, but with a roster that can do PVE and PVP. Now, I'm hoarding ISO and collecting covers again.

If they ever do decide to do a reset on PVE scaling, I'll only be using my dupes, which would let me fly thru PVE using fully covered, under leveled characters, which is why I'm making sure I have a lvl 70 of each 4*.

Dupes also come in handy when they're the essential in PVE. I don't mind that my main character / essential goes down, cuz I'll just take a dupe in. One healthpack saved. Some people have a rotating slot for 2* essential, I might have a slot for the 3* essential, if it's not a character I want to build a dupe for.

I wish I had done this earlier, because by now, some of the dupes would've gotten leveled up, while a 3rd was getting covers collected for it. The only dupe I wish I had started, and not sold a bunch of covers for, is Gamora. After her and IF were boosted for PVE/PVP this week, and I found that those 2 with OBW is an awesome team in BoP. Pretty sure I sold about 8-9 covers for her. I have one red, and red is coming up in DPD, so I will be building a dupe.

I now have the following 23 dupes. The 4* are lvl 140 (Fury is 160) and lvl 70. The 3* are lvl 140 and lvl 40. The 2* are lvl 94 and lvl 15.
    5/1/2 and 1/0/0 Carnage
    5/3/3 and 1/0/0 Elektra
    5/5/3 and 1/1/0 Fury (have sold a lot of Fury's)
    3/5/4 and 0/1/0 IW

3/5/5 and 4/3/4 Blade
    3/5/5 and 3/3/3 Cap America
    3/5/5 and 5/4/3 Cap Marvel
    5/3/5 and 1/4/2 Cyclops
    5/5/3 and 2/2/4 Daken
    5/5/3 and 0/1/0 Deadpool
    5/5/3 and 3/5/3 Falcon
    4/4/5 and 1/0/0 IF
    5/5/2 and 5/5/2 IM40
    4/5/4 and 1/0/0 KK
    5/3/5 and 3/2/2 Loki
    5/3/5 and 1/2/1 Luke Cage
    3/5/5 and 0/1/1 Magneto
    5/3/5 and 5/3/2 R&G
    5/3/5 and 1/3/1 SW
    5/3/5 and 1/1/3 Storm
    3/5/5 and 3/0/1 Thor
    5/3/5 and 5/0/4 Patch

3/5/5 and 3/5/5 OBW
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A little less than 2 months later (Nov 17), some feedback after the feedback from the initial 2 months later (Sep 22).

Past quotes on overall progress
    Only if HP is not an issue for you. I have started building dupes. I'm up to 92 roster slots, 23 dupes (4 4*, 18 3*, 1 2*). Originally, it was only going to be true healers and characters I primarily used in PVE and PVP, to save even more on healthpacks. I was sitting on 14k HP, and it only kept growing (only use 1-2 shields in PVP). Once they capped the roster slots at 1k, I decided dupes wouldn't be a bad option. I originally hoarded HP with the intention of buying roster slots, as needed for new characters. Down to 3725 HP now. Trying to keep 5k banked away, but I keep buying roster slots for dupes.
    Added 25 roster slots in the past 2 months, new characters, and now 36 dupes (9 4*, 27 3*). Never more than 1k HP banked away, b/c I've always ended up rostering a new character or new dupe.

Made a mistake in the Sep 22 post. I had added 15 roster slots in those 2 months, not 25. I've only added 9 slots in the past 2 months, new characters, and now 45 dupes (13 4*, 30 3*, 1 2*). One of the 3* and the 2* dupes are only for Juggs Heroic, will be replaced with a 1* character and other might be a rotating slot for Essential dupe or 2* Essential I don't have rostered. I had over 3k HP banked again, but decided to add MBW and 1* Storm back to my roster. 1* Storm will be rebuilt after Juggs Heroic in place of the 3rd Thor I have. Now have 1175 HP and will try to grow the HP hoard again.

Past quotes on specific progress
    Out of the 40 3*s, I only need BP black, KK green, IF purple, and whatever build I decide to build Bullseye at, who is currently 5/1/5. So after the next cycle of Deadpool's Daily, with the exception of Bullseye, I wouldn't be able to use any 3* covers. It's always pained me to sell 3* and 4* covers I couldn't use, b/c I haven't forgotten how rare they used to be. There was a point where I'd have 9 covers of a 3* character, due to token pulls, Deadpool's daily, PVE/PVP, figured why not go ahead and build a dupe. Building dupes has allowed me to have something to go after now. I look forward to Deadpool daily covers, and it's like I've started the game over, but with a roster that can do PVE and PVP. Now, I'm hoarding ISO and collecting covers again.
    Finished BP and IF and actually started dupes for both; BP 2/2/3 and IF 1/2/4. I had swapped my KK to 5/5/3 but then the dupe ended up 4/5/0, so I changed my KK to 4/5/4 and will finish her at 3/5/5 with next Deadpool's Daily. Feeling the pain of selling 3* covers again, since I can't justify having triples, exception being SW, IF and IM40. Already have the IM40 triple and will roster a 1/1/0 SW triple once I get the HP. I was able to build a 5/4/4 Hulk in less than 2 weeks. Originally wasn't going to build a dupe for Hulk, but couldn't turn it down when I had all those covers. Up to 855k ISO and selling covers again.

Almost done with the 3* dupes, if I hadn't just started a 2/2/2 Beast (aiming for 5/5/3). Need 1 Bullseye purple, 1 GSBW purple, 2 Loki greens, 1 KK green, missed last Deadpool red by not merc'ing for a PVP this past season. The 2 hardest 3* to cover have been Hood and IF. Hood is 4/3/4, and think I might want my dupe at 3/5/5 since I have a 5/5/3. IF is 3/3/5 going for 3/5/5 since I have a 5/5/3 already. Haven't started my IF triple yet, but SW is progressing nicely at 3/1/4 and IM40 is at 2/2/2. One more blue on SW and both triples are usable for me. I was up to over 1.6m ISO, but leveled my 4* and some dupes. At 687k ISO right now.

The 4* dupes are only there so I don't waste the covers I can't use from my LTs.

Past quotes on a reset on PVE scaling and usefulness of dupes
    If they ever do decide to do a reset on PVE scaling, I'll only be using my dupes, which would let me fly thru PVE using fully covered, under leveled characters, which is why I'm making sure I have a lvl 70 of each 4*.

Dupes also come in handy when they're the essential in PVE. I don't mind that my main character / essential goes down, cuz I'll just take a dupe in. One healthpack saved. Some people have a rotating slot for 2* essential, I might have a slot for the 3* essential, if it's not a character I want to build a dupe for.
    Don't think they'll ever do a reset on PVE scaling, but am still finding them useful in PVE. A few characters are cover dependent, not level dependent, so their powers are nice (IM40 yellow, Doom blue, Sam Wilson blue, SW blue, LCap red/blue overwrite, Loki black, GSBW purple, Thor yellow, KK purple, etc.). I like using the lower level dupes in PVE thinking it helps with scaling. It might not, but reality is belief, and I believe it kinda does.

Still feel the same way about their usefulness in PVE. The cover dependent ones have stayed at level 40, but I took the level dependent 3* to 120, so they could possibly save on healthpacks in PVP and serve a purpose in PVE. Then I encountered a problem with dupes, and it makes me really glad I didn't take them to 140. You can not use a dupe of the featured character in PVP. It puts in the loaner instead. I've opened this thread in the Bugs subforum but have received no response. I also created a ticket and only got the automated reply asking for more details, which I responded to but have not heard back from.

Past quotes on wrap up
    I wish I had done this earlier, because by now, some of the dupes would've gotten leveled up, while a 3rd was getting covers collected for it. The only dupe I wish I had started, and not sold a bunch of covers for, is Gamora. After her and IF were boosted for PVE/PVP this week, and I found that those 2 with OBW is an awesome team in BoP. Pretty sure I sold about 8-9 covers for her. I have one red, and red is coming up in DPD, so I will be building a dupe.
    I am now thinking I'm not gonna level any of the dupes. Don't think saving on healthpacks in PVP is going to help me as much as I thought it might, b/c it'd just give me more time to go thru the ups and downs. I'll just keep relying on luck and my shield 1 match from 1k strategy to keep it hitting 1k in PVP. Gamora dupe lowest covered dupe, 0/2/1. Still regret selling those covers. She and IF were boosted again, and it reminded me of how much I found them useful the first time.

As I stated earlier, I have leveled the level dependent dupes, but due to a bug, am not able to use a dupe of a featured character in their PVP. I should be more upset about this, but my expectations of Demiurge and D3 Go! are so low, that I'm not surprised that I've encountered this problem and heard nothing back about it. Finally finished that Gamora dupe though. I've taken a handful of 4* to 200 and the ones that can reach 160 to that level. Hoping this helps me hit 1k without shielding in PVP. Was able to do that in the Storm PVP of the offseason between Season XX and XXI.

Previous list of dupes, don't think it's possible to spoiler with a spoiler nested
    I now have the following 23 dupes. The 4* are lvl 140 (Fury is 160) and lvl 70. The 3* are lvl 140 and lvl 40. The 2* are lvl 94 and lvl 15.
    5/1/2 and 1/0/0 Carnage
    5/3/3 and 1/0/0 Elektra
    5/5/3 and 1/1/0 Fury (have sold a lot of Fury's)
    3/5/4 and 0/1/0 IW

3/5/5 and 4/3/4 Blade
    3/5/5 and 3/3/3 Cap America
    3/5/5 and 5/4/3 Cap Marvel
    5/3/5 and 1/4/2 Cyclops
    5/5/3 and 2/2/4 Daken
    5/5/3 and 0/1/0 Deadpool
    5/5/3 and 3/5/3 Falcon
    4/4/5 and 1/0/0 IF
    5/5/2 and 5/5/2 IM40
    4/5/4 and 1/0/0 KK
    5/3/5 and 3/2/2 Loki
    5/3/5 and 1/2/1 Luke Cage
    3/5/5 and 0/1/1 Magneto
    5/3/5 and 5/3/2 R&G
    5/3/5 and 1/3/1 SW
    5/3/5 and 1/1/3 Storm
    3/5/5 and 3/0/1 Thor
    5/3/5 and 5/0/4 Patch

3/5/5 and 3/5/5 OBW
    I now have the following 36 dupes. The 4* are lvl 140 (Fury and Wolverine are 160) and lvl 70. The 3* are lvl 140 and lvl 40. The OBW dupe is gone.

Build (Previous Build) and Dupe Build (Previous Dupe Build)
    5/2/4 (5/1/2) and 4/0/0 (1/0/0) Carnage
    5/4/3 (5/3/3) and 1/0/1 (1/0/0) Elektra
    3/5/5 (3/5/4) and 1/2/0 (0/1/0) IW
    5/5/3 (5/5/3) and 2/2/2 (1/1/0) Nick Fury

New 4* dupes
    3/2/1 and 1/0/0 Deadpool
    5/3/3 and 0/0/1 Iron Man
    5/4/1 and 2/1/0 Professor X
    5/3/5 and 0/3/0 Thor
    5/5/3 and 2/0/1 Wolverine

Current Build if different from (Previous Build) and Dupe Build (Previous Dupe Build)
    (3/5/5) and 3/5/5 (4/3/4) Blade
    (3/5/5) and 5/5/3 (5/4/3) Cap Marvel
    (5/3/5) and 3/5/5 (1/4/2) Cyclops
    (5/5/3) and 4/5/4 (2/2/4) Daken
    (5/5/3) and 1/3/0 (0/1/0) Deadpool
    5/5/3 (4/4/5) and 1/2/4 (1/0/0) IF
    (5/5/2) and 5/5/2 (5/5/2) IM40
    4/5/4 after 5/5/3 for a bit (4/5/4) and 4/5/0 (1/0/0) KK
    (5/3/5) and 5/4/3 (3/2/2) Loki
    (5/3/5) and 3/4/4 (1/2/1) Luke Cage
    (3/5/5) and 0/3/3 (0/1/1) Magneto
    (5/3/5) and 3/5/5 (5/3/2) R&G
    (5/5/3) and 3/5/5 (3/5/3) Sam Wilson
    (3/5/5) and 3/5/5 (3/3/3) Steve Rogers
    (5/3/5) and 5/4/4 (1/3/1) SW
    (5/3/5) and 2/3/5 (1/1/3) Storm
    (3/5/5) and 4/3/4 (3/0/1) Thor
    (5/3/5) and 5/2/5 (5/0/4) Patch

New 3* dupes
    5/3/5 and 2/2/3 Black Panther
    5/3/5 and 4/3/4 Black Widow
    5/5/3 and 1/2/1 Bullseye
    3/5/5 and 2/5/5 Doctor Doom
    3/5/5 and 0/2/1 Gamora
    5/5/2, 5/5/2 dupe and 1/2/2 Iron Man
    5/5/3 and 2/3/0 The Hood
    5/3/5 and 5/4/4 The Hulk
    5/5/3 and 3/1/1 Vision

Most recent list of dupes
    2*
    15 Storm 1, 1, 0 (only for Juggs Heroic)

3*
    120 Black Panther 5, 3, 5
    120 Blade 3, 5, 5
    120 Bullseye 4, 5, 4
    120 Gamora 3, 5, 5
    120 Luke Cage 3, 5, 5
    120 Magneto 3, 5, 5
    120 Vision 5, 5, 3
    120 Wolverine 5, 3, 5
    102 Black Widow 5, 3, 4
    40 Captain Marvel 5, 5, 3
    40 Cyclops 3, 5, 5
    40 Daken 5, 4, 4
    40 Doctor Doom 3, 5, 5
    40 Loki 5, 5, 3
    40 Rocket & Groot 3, 5, 5
    40 Sam Wilson 3, 5, 5
    40 Scarlet Witch 5, 3, 5
    40 Steve Rogers 3, 5, 5
    40 Storm 5, 3, 5
    40 The Hulk 5, 3, 5
    40 Thor 3, 5, 5
    40 Iron Man 5, 5, 2
    40 Kamala Khan 5, 5, 2
    40 Iron Fist 3, 3, 5
    40 The Hood 4, 3, 4
    40 Deadpool 4, 5, 0
    40 Scarlet Witch 3, 1, 4
    40 Beast 2, 2, 2
    40 Iron Man 2, 2, 2
    40 Thor 0, 1, 0 (only for Juggs Heroic)

4*
    70 Thor 3, 5, 1
    70 Carnage 5, 0, 1
    70 Wolverine 3, 1, 3
    70 Nick Fury 3, 2, 2
    70 Professor X 4, 2, 0
    70 Deadpool 4, 0, 0
    70 Invisible Woman 2, 3, 0
    70 Elektra 1, 2, 2
    70 Iron Man 0, 0, 3
    70 Jean Grey 0, 2, 1
    70 Devil Dinosaur 1, 1, 1
    70 Kingpin 0, 0, 1
    70 Sam Wilson 1, 0, 0
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dupes are most useful with characters that have more than one "best build"

Would be nice if they'd allow us to bank all 15 covers and activate which 13 we wish to use
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I have started a second thor, loki and mags and once more covers come in i'll also start fist and hood and maybe cap (not starting hood till I get a 6th blue - so....many.....yellow). I do need an hp sale though. won't be starting any of those with my hp where it is now and if I swing jean, i'll probably have to sell mags (only -/1/1 now). those are the guys I use the most and it was suggested only dupe the ones you use the most, so there you go - thor loki mags with fist, hood cap behind. might consider Cyclops too down the line, but really I just need a sale for now.
    But a word of caution ... characters rise and fall in utility. Starting a dupe of the guy you're using every day right now may be a waste of time. What with the cylical rewards in MPQ, it can take months to cover a second copy of a character.

yep. since that first post I have started dupe fist and hood. my hood already up to 4 blue - now wishing I had those yellow - still only 2 hood black in all my token pulls and playing in the game. however, I'm starting to realize that my dupe thor (at 4/4/5 now) and dupe mags will not get much use other than trivial pve nodes. I do use them for trivials - they are around level 70 but I can use anything for those. i'll continue hood, loki, and fist, but I can see me parting ways some day with thor and mags.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I build them for fun, although I've sold most off when I required a roster slot or two. I always have 3-4 characters at the bottom I can sell at any point in time to make some room. I recently sold off my Iron Fist second build (he was 3/1/3, I believe) to make room for Jean Gray because her cover was to expire soon after. I have a Kamala Khan, who is one of my favourite characters to use. My regular one is 5/3/5, but I'd like to try the 3/5/5 build as well, hence the second character.

Not too many characters are truly deserving of a second build. The few that come to mind might be IF, LC, KK, and Cyclops (both at 5/3/5 just because he's awesome), of course HB and JG if you can afford it or are that lucky. Other than that, not really too keen on this. I actually like the variety that comes with having many characters rather than few of the same ones, so I'm on the fence here.