Does the stack contribute to grind burnout. Shorten it?

Options
nwman
nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Okay, in story mode, or PVE. The stack is the number of plays on a full node / pin before points go to 1

I like this game, and when playing story mode the first play through is always fun. You don't get the 20 ISO reward, and it seems a bit fresher the first time on each story imo.

While I'm not a huge fan of the 8 hour refreshes they are manageable. (There is only 1 time slot that doesn't require me to wake up in the middle of the night)

What really burns me out on this game is the grind at the end of subs to place well. Enemy of the state with survival nodes really highlighted this to me, as the time required was even higher in that event.

If each play through on a sub event takes 25 - 45 minutes depending on if you wipe, your teams, and luck, would you like to see the stack (number of plays before points go to 1) reduced, or does it feel like the number is right?

I personally would like to see it reduced, just by 1 to start, if I can save 1 play through a day on average that only nets me 180- 200 iso I am going to be happier and less burnt out.

What does everyone else feel?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still think the first iteration of TAT was perfect in that regard - two stacks, down to 1 after that.

Of course that PVE had so many other problems so most likely they'll never go back to analyze it again.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yessssss! OMG, yes. I don't mind the first clear. I don't mind trying to hit the next one in exactly 8 hours. I don't mind the third one 8 hours later. But playing those same nodes 6 more times before the sub ends, then starting a new sub immediately after? No. Just no.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Yessssss! OMG, yes. I don't mind the first clear. I don't mind trying to hit the next one in exactly 8 hours. I don't mind the third one 8 hours later. But playing those same nodes 6 more times before the sub ends, then starting a new sub immediately after? No. Just no.

Exactly. And you have to make sure you leave enough left in your tank to be able to finish the first clear the next sub. I remember running out of health packs and all of my essentials being dead so I couldn't do any of their nodes.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I voted yes but I'm left wondering that if the stack was only two, then would you get a situation where you have several people doing essentially "perfect" runs and the points differences between the top would be miniscule (you would end up grinding for single points)?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope everyone who's voting "shorten the stacks" has a **** roster, because that's the option that will help those people's speed clears dominate PvE.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted yes but I'm left wondering that if the stack was only two, then would you get a situation where you have several people doing essentially "perfect" runs and the points differences between the top would be miniscule (you would end up grinding for single points)?

I wouldn't make it only 2, I'm just thinking less than 6. 4 is probably a good compromise. You don't want everyone to be able to able to grind it all down to 1.
  • Whub Whubz
    Whub Whubz Posts: 62
    Options
    But why straight to 2? Try 5 collect data :3.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    I hope everyone who's voting "shorten the stacks" has a **** roster, because that's the option that will help those people's speed clears dominate PvE.
    I voted yes because I just don't grind the nodes down to 1. I play as efficiently as possible and aim for top 50 in PVE. If top 20 is possible sweet, if not oh well. The grind at he end of subs would just burn me out. If this was reduced I would probably score higher I. PVE for the same amount of work. I am voting shorten because I am Lazy. In fact I might not vote at all because I am just the Lazy durring the offseason right now.

Vote yes for lazy!!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can I vote neither?

Yes, there is a clear problem, but timing or scaling are all ineffective Band-Aids on the flawed design.

The fix is to take a PvE where your outcome is completely dependant on how much someone else grinds and BURN IT TO THE GROUND! How about this crazy idea? If you pass the nodes, you win. Viva DDQ! Viva Gauntlet! Viva Growth Industry! Dump the grind fests of any length in the garbage.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The real question is why are players grinding story event missions? Again another thread about story missions that has been created by one big broken system.

As I have said numerous times, abandon leaderboards, keep competitiveness to the PvP arena and let story based events be a do at your leisure thing. How long has the Prologue had any love shown to it? Heck not even love but any attention at all? It is almost as if whoever at D3 was in charge of that area was sent to Coventry.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,234 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:

im guessing very few do that (at least in my brackets) What i do is hit each nod twice (gives you a 16 hour reset) and then grind

Idea
    start at 2pm 16 hour reset wil be 6am

2pm hit all nods twice
    work from 5 to 11 --- sleep up at 7am
    7am start grinding nods for 90 mins or so
    10am Check to see if any nods are worth playing and see rank ---if need pts play 30 mins if not stop

work from 11 to 2
    Repeat

Good enough to hit top 50 (top 20) all of the time
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me, it's less about the stack size (though that helps, so I voted yes) and more about the ridiculous refresh schedule that locks you into playing at exact times.

Like sure, it'd be great if I only had to clear 27 nodes instead of 54, but having to do any number at exactly 9pm every day for 7 straight wears on you.

The Ultron event is a better mechanic overall, where you have 8 hours to do a full clear, but that can be done anytime in that 8 hours without penalty.

I'd much rather see that system implemented on a lower scale (no alliance locking, no 'Ultron Prime' sub for the true rewards) than have them work on the scheduled number of nodes.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ...where you have 8 hours to do a full clear, but that can be done anytime in that 8 hours without penalty.

I'd much rather see that system implemented on a lower scale (no alliance locking, no 'Ultron Prime' sub for the true rewards) than have them work on the scheduled number of nodes.
    that would be a great step in the right direction. I always figured do away with them altogether but this is something I could support as well. have 3 - 8hr chunks where you have to do your clears within those chunks but not tied to the timer and doesn't matter if you stack one at the end of a timer and one at the beginning of the next timer. with 24 hr subs that could take it down to 2 chunks of playing a day - sub flip and some time in the middle refresh. that would work great for lunch/evening clear schedule.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There's a phenomenon at work here that when you make a maximum level much easier to attain for a group of people, you will have a hell of a time ranking them later
  • Unknown
    Options
    I realize this borders on heresy, but how about we just make PvE more like, well, PvE?

Non-competitive, grind as much or as little as you want, same progression awards, or even add a higher award to line up with the placement rewards?

If I was choosing to grind or not grind 2, 3, or 4X beyond the final progression for the "big placement" prize, MPQ would be immeasurably more enjoyable for me...

Time limits would still potentially sell health packs for D3, tokens could potentially help sell covers, and players could eat, sleep, work, live, and play games like fully-functioning human beings.

That couldn't be bad, could it?

DBC
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Why is there no option to increase the stack size? icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_e_wink.gif
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    You can make Top 50 without getting anywhere near grinding the stacks to 0, so reducing the number of stacks will affect less than 5% of the population.

Also, reducing stacks will reduce the number of points available for your second, third hits, etc. This might actually have the unintended side-effect of having to play more nodes in order to hit certain goals for the rest of the non-crazies.

I still think that getting rid of the refresh altogether and letting people space out their grinds is a better solution.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You can make Top 50 without getting anywhere near grinding the stacks to 0, so reducing the number of stacks will affect less than 5% of the population.

Also, reducing stacks will reduce the number of points available for your second, third hits, etc. This might actually have the unintended side-effect of having to play more nodes in order to hit certain goals for the rest of the non-crazies.

I still think that getting rid of the refresh altogether and letting people space out their grinds is a better solution.

Quoted from above: "...reducing the number of stacks will affect less than 5% of the population"

If I'm reading you correctly (and perhaps I'm not), are you saying that 95% of the people playing MPQ can "make top 50 without getting anywhere near grinding the stacks to 0?"

Side note: I tend to agree with the "getting rid of the refresh altogether and letting people space out their grinds," part, but I'm not sure how D3 would implement the change...

DBC
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    Can I vote neither?

Yes, there is a clear problem, but timing or scaling are all ineffective Band-Aids on the flawed design.

The fix is to take a PvE where your outcome is completely dependant on how much someone else grinds and BURN IT TO THE GROUND! How about this crazy idea? If you pass the nodes, you win. Viva DDQ! Viva Gauntlet! Viva Growth Industry! Dump the grind fests of any length in the garbage.
    The correct answer to this multiple choice.

All the op does it make it easier for people with stronger rosters to clear faster.

As long as the pve rewards are competition, theres not really an idea that fixes this. It almost becomes catch 22. You want to place in the sub to better your roster, so you can compete in pves but the people with better rosters will always clear faster and more efficiently then you.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

If a **** roster has a 10 second advantage per battle, then more battles helps them.