Talk me out of becoming a "wallet warrior"

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I would still spend money on the game if I still enjoyed it. If they made a big change and requires me to spend a lot of money or play for a long period of time, I would probably just quit.

In the end, the money you spent in the game, stays in this game, when you quit, that's all gone. if you were to spend it on products, depending on what it is, you can still resell or keep for value. Or even spend it on food, which is also great! Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

Also spending money on this game also tends to be an addiction/gamble, you may not get what you want, and end up spending more, so be careful!

You can also play games like HearthStone (for mobile) which is free.
  • Unknown
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    I've spent money only once during Anniversary Week ($20), and it went straight to roster slots. With no end in sight for characters, I couldn't justify buying covers for characters. They will come eventually. Your roster will strengthen with time. I would also say that $100 dollars on a game is pretty steep. That's almost two games for a home system, games that could actually be sold later for some kind of money down the road. If you invest in a purely digital game, and end up not playing sometime in the future, what are you left with? Just my two cents...

I personally look at it differently. I recently bought Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and ESO for 60 bucks each in the past 3 months, and I've logged maybe 20 hours over all 3.

Meanwhile, I've possibly spent 270 hours over that time on MPQ because of it's accessibility, but have only spent 15 dollars real money. I've already suggested for my upcoming birthday people just buy me Google Play giftcards to chuck at this game instead of the usual console game purchases because Im getting more use out of MPQ lately.

Im really at the point that when I spend for HP, Im not looking at it as purchasing product, but rewarding the devs for entertainment already provided.
  • Unknown
    Options
    teknofyl wrote:

Day 600+ player here, zero fully covered 3* characters.

WHAT? How? I mean... how?
    covers were largely luck until Deadpool daily. There will be unlucky ppl.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:

I won't speak for him but from his other posts I gather he spent a long period of time playing super casually. not everyone is driven to success on a mobile game given the time this one takes. and certainly not everyone plays like the typical forumite.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:

I won't speak for him but from his other posts I gather he spent a long period of time playing super casually. not everyone is driven to success on a mobile game given the time this one takes. and certainly not everyone plays like the typical forumite.
    u can only have so much success if you're not top 5ing PVE because PVP is a death wish and tokens have forsaken you
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,234 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqstooge wrote:
    As a 2 to 3 star transitioner I know I'm supposed to take my lumps and go through the "paying my dues" period but it's starting to get irritating. This season was particularly brutal. I set what I thought was a modest goal of 800pts in PVP for non popular 3 stars like Storm or Captain Marvel. Nope once I hit maybe 400 to 500 I get the crud kicked out of me. My equilibrium point seems to be 200 to 300 pts. which seems low even for a transitioner. To make things worse whatever tokens I earn in the events turn out to be 2 stars. I only pulled GSBW and LCap from the 10 pack. Thank goodness for DDQ and the lucky 3 stars from the standard packs. I'm also working PVE to at least grab whatever progression awards I can get.

I was thinking maybe next payday I should just get a Stark salary and just buy 16 covers for "the big four". I have an IF 1/3/1, Cyc 1/1/3, Cage 4/1/1, KK 2/2/3. If I buy 4 covers for each maybe that could make me a little bit better and put my transition in high gear. I'm also scared to do this because I just know with my luck they'll get nerfed and /or they'll have a big HP sale once I spend some hard earned cash.

What do you guys think? Am I being too impatient? Should I just tough it out for another few months?

tough it out until the next major sale, there should be a sale in NOV if not before then hopefully. Try to find an allaince that will get you top 100 In PVE and you will be rolling in covers in no time. It might take 4 to 5 months but at least you still have that 100 bucks in your pocket...

I have blow 53 on this game never paid for a single cover and have 8 of the 3 stars fully covered and another 4 to 7 with 1 to 2 needed. BUY slots never covers

and remember to LeVel even. if you think its hard now if you take that 100 and buy those covers and then jack up those 4 people to level 166 while the rest of your group is below 90 your going to get killed more then you are now.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you buy covers, and you're focused on PVP, take two characters to 166 right away. Anything lower begs for attacks. Putting two 166's plus the loaner looks to everyone else like you have a maxed roster, and your team looks the same as people with max rosters, so you get skips. That'll make PVP 10 times easier.

If you're focused on PVE, you can do what others say about leveling evenly. (Though I always say that trying to manipulate scaling is a pansy's game.) And PVP awards more covers per week anyway.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know if 2 good 166s is enough in PvP anymore scottee. With weekly boosts, you will be at a disadvantage any time one or both of them are not boosted. Even a solid pair like cyclops/iron fist at 166 would have a hard time above 800 where almost everything is 290/240/240 or better.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okay, I actually have some more advice for you. Had to cut the earlier post short because I had to go get a root canal done. (Seriously. Happy Friday, me....)

1) 800 points in PvP is not a modest goal for an early 2-3 transitioner. It's an incredibly ambitious goal; one that requires very precise timing in when to play, smart boosting, and a lot of HP spent on shielding. I'm running a maxed 3/5/5 Cage and a 5/4/2 Fist, and I work to hit 800 without shield hopping. (And staying at 800 means definitely putting down a 3-hour shield at the end of the event.) A modest goal for a 2-3 person is to hit 300 and get the token.

2) If you want to speed up the process, you'll need to spend a little money -- but only on roster slots. You want to add as many characters as you can. More on this in the next point.

3) 2-3 Transitioners need to prioritize PvE. End of story. Hit EVERY progression award; place as high as you can in the rankings. Clear the nodes if you can. Progression awards are guaranteed -- nobody can take points away from you and deprive you of the fruits of your efforts. And all those standard tokens add up in the long run -- yes, you only get a miserable 5% or so return on actual quality covers from them... but when you're opening 50 a week, it starts to add up quickly. Because all you need is ONE cover on a 3*, and that unlocks the DDQ for the character. And the more characters you have in your roster, the fewer required nodes in PvE you'll miss out on... which will help you place higher in the event and hit those progression targets consistently. Slow and steady. Slow and steady.

4) But -- DO NOT ignore PvP. PvP is a better source of ISO per time spent playing than anything other than DDQ. And you will need that ISO. Get your 300 and your token in every event, play at least one node in the lightning rounds (to qualify for the minimum reward), and try to get the seasonal 10-pack award at 3000. In the future, you'll have multiple highly-levelled 3*s, and you can start to be competitive in PvP. But in the early transition -- no, you're not going to be competitive.

5) That 3* at 800 in PvP is like the final table at the WSOP -- yes, you technically can get there just by playing well... but you're not going to be getting there. If you're unshielded at 500 points while I'm on my way up, and I see your maxed Ares/Widow team with a level 70 featured... I'm going to eat you for lunch, and get 35 points for my 2 minutes of work. Meanwhile, someone with a 250 Hulkbuster and a 250 Prof X is going to eat me for lunch as soon as I'm done with you. Sorry; just the way of the world. Is the "point total is a proxy for team strength" system warped? Yes. But that's the game, and you have to deal with it on its own terms.

6) At some point, you'll find yourself where I am or thereabouts. I am, I guess, at what you'd call the end of the mid-transition phase. I have a go-to team for both PvE and PvP, and multiple 3* chars with at least 10 covers (albeit without the ISO to level them fully). This does NOT mean that I'm Master of the Game and All Of The Things Come Unto Me. (That's Jamie Madrox.) It does, however give me something important: control over my game experience. I do not HAVE to do anything. If I'm not going to hit top 100 in a PvE event... no biggie. If the progression award is something I'm not interested in... I can go play PvP this cycle instead. Etc. This makes the game A LOT more fun, let me tell you. You're still making progress, but you're not frustrated by lost opportunities that come from not being progressed enough.

And then yours is the game and everything in it, and, which is more, you will be a man, my son. Or possibly a green gamma monster. Or a giant teleporting dog. Or a stretchy Inhuman from Jersey City. Whatever floats your boat!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I don't know if 2 good 166s is enough in PvP anymore scottee. With weekly boosts, you will be at a disadvantage any time one or both of them are not boosted. Even a solid pair like cyclops/iron fist at 166 would have a hard time above 800 where almost everything is 290/240/240 or better.
    I made 1K in Cyclops with 140cyc/166fist/166mags (pretty easily) and am at 997 in the torch event (less easily) with 140torch/166fist/153loki. takes hp for hopping though. and I have to be fast because this team in torch especially sucks on defense.

update: will end the torch event at 1018. that was a chore, but it is doable without boosteds. this week is really an aberration though because none of the top characters are boosted this week. daken is probably the best boosted this week and if you have a nuke big enough and can take a chem reaction or 2 he can go down.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    atomzed wrote:

To add on to what Txmoose excellent reasons, the entertainment hours are also at my own convenience. I can start a game, stop half way through to make conversation with my wife, do My house hold chores, and come back to finish the game without missing a beat.

Thus far, this is the best game which gives me such convenience. Maybe there are other games around like this, but MPQ has already got me hooked.

I'm in the same boat. I can start a match, close my computer for an hour, and then come back to resume playing the same match w/o any problem. I can't do that for an MMO, and I dropped the last mmo I was playing for this reason. RL requirements make it impossible for me otherwise.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I know it has been said before, but it really comes down to have much you value your time (and how much money you have).

I have spent more money than I should have on the game but much of that is because I was sick of sucking so bad in PVP and lacking so many 'essentials' for PVE. I would rather put a few hundred into the game and feel like my time spent is getting rewarded, than to try and avoid any spending and get burned out from failing.

My 2 cents icon_razz.gif

PS: I can afford to do this. If you can't afford to, then the obvious answer is not to.
  • Unknown
    Options
    lymang wrote:
    I have tried, since making a few purchases early on, to resist being a wallet warrior myself but I find that for some events, I can't resist. I need a certain character,and I have the covers, but not the ISO, and I end up buying ISO. Then of course, I have to buy slots for the new character I've just won. ugh.
    Well, previously it was money I spent on World of Warcraft, so ... 6 of 1, half dozen of t'other, as they say.
    Amazing that this game managed to pull a WOW player.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    LXSandman wrote:
    lymang wrote:
    I have tried, since making a few purchases early on, to resist being a wallet warrior myself but I find that for some events, I can't resist. I need a certain character,and I have the covers, but not the ISO, and I end up buying ISO. Then of course, I have to buy slots for the new character I've just won. ugh.
    Well, previously it was money I spent on World of Warcraft, so ... 6 of 1, half dozen of t'other, as they say.

Buying ISO???? OMG don't ever do that.

I'm in pain just thinking about that.

Think about it this way, the worst you can do in a 42 pack is 10,500 iso.. If all 42 were 3*, it is still only 21,00 iso, for a Stark Salary, you cannot get 2 42 packs, or even 2 basic 40 pack heroics, so 78k Iso, is way more iso than you could get from using HP..

BUT... you can easily earn 20-30k iso in a day if you try.

Now, if you are doing Vault tokens, where you can get 10k iso in a single draw, that is a different story.
    I got that 2 days ago. Was super stoked & surprised!
  • Unknown
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Been playing since before last Thanksgiving. I've got a raft of 3*s at 120, a couple at max (Mags, Luke), most of the 2*s, etc.

My best piece of advice:

Determine why you play the game. This isn't being glib... I'm serious. I play because I love match-3 games. I used to play a lot of Bejeweled Blitz, which has no covers and no ongoing rewards other than hitting a high score. MPQ is the same thing, but with more depth and rewards, and more of a "point", for lack of a better word. For me, the match-3 is the thing; the rewards are a bonus. Which is why a lot of the forum-upsetting stuff just doesn't bother me.

If you play for the rewards, and the match-3 is just a chore that you have to go through to get there... you're going to be unhappy. Guaranteed.
    Ditto, except I play for match 5's. I work my **** off to create those whenever possible.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I made 1K in Cyclops with 140cyc/166fist/166mags (pretty easily) and am at 997 in the torch event (less easily) with 140torch/166fist/153loki. takes hp for hopping though. and I have to be fast because this team in torch especially sucks on defense.

update: will end the torch event at 1018. that was a chore, but it is doable without boosteds. this week is really an aberration though because none of the top characters are boosted this week. daken is probably the best boosted this week and if you have a nuke big enough and can take a chem reaction or 2 he can go down.

I jumped from 200 points to 900 points in a single unshielded burst-hop last night. Threw up a long shield to give me time to deflect all those retaliations now that I'm worth a bunch of points (was sitting at 6th place when I shielded).

Used KK, 145 3/5/5; Torch, 278, 5/3/5, and Buster, 235, 0/5/5.

I wasn't usually using KK's Bash, instead I would use her green to fuel Torch's Flame Jet, which was doing 4,025 damage per turn at 9+ AP banked. This would do an additional 686 per turn with the Blackbuster strike tiles in play. After gathering enough green, I would drop a flame jet and then bury it by turning all the greens into reds with Bluebuster.

Buster was also feeding red (with his black more than his blue), which was doing 930 damage per AP (6 red AP fireballs because you collect two red AP per cast) or 1,045 damage per AP with one set of strike tiles in play.

Blue, Black, and Purple AP generation weren't accelerated, but Green and Red AP generation were.

On defense, the AI is going to likely screw up the Flame Jet and the Inhuman Stretchiness necessary to power it. Thankfully, the red AP generation is a bit easier and will still burn away some of the opposition. Obviously a lack of HB red is a problem that will eventually need to be remedied to make this team stronger.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:

I like the time commitment. It's completely different from a game you get 20-100 hours out of only to never play again. You can put in 100 hours fairly rapidly in this game & not even know how many more 100's you'll end up playing. I gotta give the devs credit for building the most addictive game I've ever played in my life. And I'm 35.
  • Unknown
    Options
    lymang wrote:
    is it that amazing? I used to play WOW, had collector's edition of everything until Mists of pandaria
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

You're of course at a disadvantage to 240's, but that's not the point. The point is that you move yourself into the next pool of targets. Let's make up some imaginary numbers for what PVP tiers look like by percentage of the playerbase.

10% 4* (270-359)
    15% weekly boosted 3* (240)
    15% unboosted max 3* (166)
    20% underleveled 3* (100-150)
    40% 2* and lower

By running two maxed 3*'s, even though they're only 166, you move yourself into that 3rd tier. When someone is flipping through nodes, all 166's look the same, while 130's look like fish bait. So by having just two maxed 3*, you look the same as someone who has 10 or 20 and is just not using the boosteds for whatever reason. This leads to significantly less attacks.

Underleveled 3*'s gain automatic attacks because those heroes usually are missing covers as well. Even if your first two maxed 3*s are Hulk and Storm, it doesn't matter, because they'll get skipped in favor of a level 130 Iron Fist and Daken all day every day.

It's not just about winning matches, it's about reducing how many you lose.

If people want to focus on PVE and keep their rosters underleveled, that's no problem at all. If you want to graduate in PVP from "I get hit too much" to "I can place decently with regular effort" then you need maxed 3*s.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    lymang wrote:
    is it that amazing? I used to play WOW, had collector's edition of everything until Mists of pandaria

I quit WoW at the end of WotLK, mostly due to wife aggro and real-life commitments. My gaming experience since then has pretty much been limited to online flash games and/or mobile games.