Talk me out of becoming a "wallet warrior"

Options

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    I invite the OP to look at my roster. Only covers i ever bought in this game are two xf black covers to get him up to five black, and that's a year ago when D3 turbocharged xf and made him a powerhouse character. More than that, xf black was simply THE best power in the game at that time (draining 10 ap, removing the strongest enemy color off the board, and doing decent dmg for each tile removed). It was my best 5,000 HP spent as this allowed me to punch above my weight class and hang with the big spenders in pvp.

Now. . . I would NOT recommend buying covers, because D3 has become less inclined to restrain itself in nerfing abilities on the fly. Their sudden shift in game balance philosophy had caused several waves of players rage quitting the game, and it would be rather foolish to spend money to buy covers at this point. Also, I should point out if you're looking to "buy" a max 270, you'll be spending in the neighborhood of $2,000----for one character. Obviously I don't know much OP is looking to spend, but I don't think it's four figures for this game. icon_twisted.gif

As far as scoring higher in pvp is concerned, it's really a question of timing. The most important thing to do is to use a shield at the end to keep your points. You cannot survive w/o shielding because there is always someone with less points than you who will find you worth hitting for your points, no matter what defense you use.

If the OP is allergic to buying a shield, then I would suggest saving the 10 heals and play the last 30 minutes of the event. Do a bull rush and attack, attack, attack until time runs out.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you buy covers, I would not spread it around. Pick 1 or 2 characters to buy covers for. If you keep in mind the covers that will be soon available on dpdq that may save some money.
  • lymang
    lymang Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    I have tried, since making a few purchases early on, to resist being a wallet warrior myself but I find that for some events, I can't resist. I need a certain character,and I have the covers, but not the ISO, and I end up buying ISO. Then of course, I have to buy slots for the new character I've just won. ugh.
    Well, previously it was money I spent on World of Warcraft, so ... 6 of 1, half dozen of t'other, as they say.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I agree with others regarding the comments on MPQ not being about "instant gratification."

Day 600+ player here, zero fully covered 3* characters.

DBC
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    lymang wrote:
    I have tried, since making a few purchases early on, to resist being a wallet warrior myself but I find that for some events, I can't resist. I need a certain character,and I have the covers, but not the ISO, and I end up buying ISO. Then of course, I have to buy slots for the new character I've just won. ugh.
    Well, previously it was money I spent on World of Warcraft, so ... 6 of 1, half dozen of t'other, as they say.

Are you The Secret Millionaire?
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    lymang wrote:

Buying ISO???? OMG don't ever do that.

I'm in pain just thinking about that.
  • teknofyl
    teknofyl Posts: 80
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know what your four-star situation is, but my guess is that if you were going to get 20k HP, a better use of it would be on 8 four star covers. Specifically, IMHB with five red covers would be best, but there are a lot of four stars that would work. At a low roster level, it's going to make a huge difference and they will still pull their weight unboosted, which is probably pretty important for you. If you have any four stars where 8 covers could get it to a useful state, then that would probably be a game-changer for you.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LXSandman wrote:
    lymang wrote:

Think about it this way, the worst you can do in a 42 pack is 10,500 iso.. If all 42 were 3*, it is still only 21,00 iso, for a Stark Salary, you cannot get 2 42 packs, or even 2 basic 40 pack heroics, so 78k Iso, is way more iso than you could get from using HP..

BUT... you can easily earn 20-30k iso in a day if you try.

Now, if you are doing Vault tokens, where you can get 10k iso in a single draw, that is a different story.
  • teknofyl
    teknofyl Posts: 80
    Options

Day 600+ player here, zero fully covered 3* characters.

WHAT? How? I mean... how?
  • IlDuderino
    Options
    teknofyl wrote:
    I don't know what your four-star situation is, but my guess is that if you were going to get 20k HP, a better use of it would be on 8 four star covers. Specifically, IMHB with five red covers would be best, but there are a lot of four stars that would work. At a low roster level, it's going to make a huge difference and they will still pull their weight unboosted, which is probably pretty important for you. If you have any four stars where 8 covers could get it to a useful state, then that would probably be a game-changer for you.

The big risk here is that any 4* worth buying covers in is a nerf hazard. Could leave the buyer with a $100 turkey and serious PvE scaling problems if he / she is the only high level character on the roster
  • lymang
    Options
    IlDuderino wrote:
    lymang wrote:

Nope. I do have a full time job, and disposable income. I currently am spending some of it in MPQ. If I was The Secret Millionaire I would have every character full covered and fully leveled, which I do not. You can see that by looking at my roster.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IlDuderino wrote:
    teknofyl wrote:

The big risk here is that any 4* worth buying covers in is a nerf hazard. Could leave the buyer with a $100 turkey and serious PvE scaling problems if he / she is the only high level character on the roster
    completely agree here. at first I thought fist was the only *** at risk of being nerfed, but apparently witch was screwing up the meta with her green, so you never know. regardless, I think big nerfs to any ***s is not likely, but still possible for fist.
  • lymang
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    LXSandman wrote:
    lymang wrote:

Think about it this way, the worst you can do in a 42 pack is 10,500 iso.. If all 42 were 3*, it is still only 21,00 iso, for a Stark Salary, you cannot get 2 42 packs, or even 2 basic 40 pack heroics, so 78k Iso, is way more iso than you could get from using HP..

BUT... you can easily earn 20-30k iso in a day if you try.

Now, if you are doing Vault tokens, where you can get 10k iso in a single draw, that is a different story.

The amounts of ISO that one needs are HUGE once you start regularly being able to do DDQ and place even just top 100 in events. I have many, many 3* who I would like to level up, but obscene amounts of ISO are needed. Sometimes, I just buy some. (corrected 4* to 3*)
  • IlDuderino
    Options
    lymang wrote:
    IlDuderino wrote:
    lymang wrote:

Nope. I do have a full time job, and disposable income. I currently am spending some of it in MPQ. If I was The Secret Millionaire I would have every character full covered and fully leveled, which I do not. You can see that by looking at my roster.

I would only buy iso if I was a millionaire
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Been playing since before last Thanksgiving. I've got a raft of 3*s at 120, a couple at max (Mags, Luke), most of the 2*s, etc.

My best piece of advice:

Determine why you play the game. This isn't being glib... I'm serious. I play because I love match-3 games. I used to play a lot of Bejeweled Blitz, which has no covers and no ongoing rewards other than hitting a high score. MPQ is the same thing, but with more depth and rewards, and more of a "point", for lack of a better word. For me, the match-3 is the thing; the rewards are a bonus. Which is why a lot of the forum-upsetting stuff just doesn't bother me.

If you play for the rewards, and the match-3 is just a chore that you have to go through to get there... you're going to be unhappy. Guaranteed.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've spent money only once during Anniversary Week ($20), and it went straight to roster slots. With no end in sight for characters, I couldn't justify buying covers for characters. They will come eventually. Your roster will strengthen with time. I would also say that $100 dollars on a game is pretty steep. That's almost two games for a home system, games that could actually be sold later for some kind of money down the road. If you invest in a purely digital game, and end up not playing sometime in the future, what are you left with? Just my two cents...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    I've spent money only once during Anniversary Week ($20), and it went straight to roster slots. With no end in sight for characters, I couldn't justify buying covers for characters. They will come eventually. Your roster will strengthen with time. I would also say that $100 dollars on a game is pretty steep. That's almost two games for a home system, games that could actually be sold later for some kind of money down the road. If you invest in a purely digital game, and end up not playing sometime in the future, what are you left with? Just my two cents...
    hours upon hours of entertainment and enjoyment has value - just saying. hours that I can play anywhere I want, whenever I want (lunch, bathroom break, red light, at the airport, etc) - not tied to sitting in front of my tv/game system. there's a reason the gaming industry dollars has shifted some towards mobile.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    rawfsu wrote:
    hours upon hours of entertainment and enjoyment has value - just saying. hours that I can play anywhere I want, whenever I want (lunch, bathroom break, red light, at the airport, etc) - not tied to sitting in front of my tv/game system. there's a reason the gaming industry dollars has shifted some towards mobile.

To add on to what Txmoose excellent reasons, the entertainment hours are also at my own convenience. I can start a game, stop half way through to make conversation with my wife, do My house hold chores, and come back to finish the game without missing a beat.

Thus far, this is the best game which gives me such convenience. Maybe there are other games around like this, but MPQ has already got me hooked.

I also enjoy collecting the covers, and exploring new characters as they are released. I like the fact that even if I miss a character release, it doesn't matter cos I can still rely on other characters. I can slowly take my time to "catch em all".
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    completely agree here. at first I thought fist was the only *** at risk of being nerfed, but apparently witch was screwing up the meta with her green, so you never know. regardless, I think big nerfs to any ***s is not likely, but still possible for fist.[/quote]

It only makes her PX/SW/GSBW infinite combo slightly harder to keep pulling off. Maybe they were tired of SW just being around as a battery and they wanted to convince people to use her purple covers?
  • Unknown
    Options
    First, it is your money, if you can spare the money, then go for it. But I will tell you my experience.

Been playing this game for about a year now. I spent so much money in this game, enough to buy 2 iPads, or several PS4. I've made a few mistakes doing this.

Initially I spent a decent amount buying HP which I then used to buy packs (40), this was a huge mistake, as it yielded little to nothing except for a bunch of 2 stars.

Then I decided that packs were a waste, so I went to buy covers directly and I made sure to pick characters that would be useful and I would use for every event. It just happens to be that my Wolverine X-Force was 8/13 covered, and also a 4 star, and also this character destroys my team in the higher bracket. Needless to say, I was very excited and spent a lot of money to buy HP to fully cover him, and level him up (at 2500 HP a cover, it is expensive). Guess what? A few weeks later, this character got nerfed and I felt like I wasted so much money, another thing I regret doing.

Eventually I spent money to buy HP, but did not invest in any packs, or covers, and got them overtime through events, etc. I'm good now and constantly can hit 1k, and even 1.3k when I really try, but that takes time. The only thing I am spending HP on right now are shields (you will not get a high ranking or even get to 1k without using shields unless you have a few max 4*, or your max 3* are powered up during that week).

My lesson - do not invest in this game in a character, it will be costly as you won't get what you want, and even if you did, it is short term. If you do buy HP, I would save them and use them on shields (play smart, and shield hop only when necessary), and over time, you will have a powerful roster and all that you will need to do is buy shields (which can be free if you earn enough HP from events and only need to use a few of them).