Hopefully in time for the character survey - An MPQ Census

Options

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Well, married Scarlet Witch and had children, so male it is.

...how the heck does a non-human have children with a human? Did they just build children?

And choice of sexuality doesn't define sex. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

...how the heck does a non-human have children with a human? Did they just build children?

Animals are non human and breed regularly..

He has a mostly humanoid/cybernetic body.

Here is an excerpt on how they had kids.

Wanda eventually drew on magic energy to give birth to twin sons, Tommy & Billy, but this energy was eventually revealed to have come from the demon Mephisto, who reabsorbed them, effectively ending their existence.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Animals are non human and breed regularly..

He has a mostly humanoid/cybernetic body.

Here is an excerpt on how they had kids.

Wanda eventually drew on magic energy to give birth to twin sons, Tommy & Billy, but this energy was eventually revealed to have come from the demon Mephisto, who reabsorbed them, effectively ending their existence.

His 'brain' originally was imprinted using Simon Williams', aka Wonder-Man, mind. I think it's fair to say that binarily gender-wise, Vision is male.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Lidolas wrote:
    His 'brain' originally was imprinted using Simon Williams', aka Wonder-Man, mind. I think it's fair to say that binarily gender-wise, Vision is male.

So I guess the question is whether the data is using sex or gender.

Because he's a sexless non-human, but his gender is likely male.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Lidolas wrote:

So I guess the question is whether the data is using sex or gender.

Because he's a sexless non-human, but his gender is likely male.

ok, all of this made me go wiki him.

One thing kind of solidifies this.

"n the Marvel 2099 era, Vision is a young woman with precognitive abilities."

By specifically naming the 2099 Vision as female, we can infer that all other incarnations were male. The original Vision, wasn't even an Android, just a man with powers.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    If the census were of characters in the Marvel universe, how is MPQ doing?

Really, so long as they make the abilities cool and useful in the game, we are all going to use them. If Hulkbuster was being piloted by ISIS, I would still roster him because he is incredibly useful.

So I don't care if they put a non-affiliated stick figure in as the next character... I'm still going to collect the covers if that character is going to be fun to use and help me win matches.
    Isn't this the way we should judge all people and characters? By their abilities, their personalities, by everything BUT Color, Gender, Race, Sexual Orientation? Yet here we are wanting to throw people into the game just because they are under-represented?

I'm hispanic, but I didn't grow up with Miles Morales, nor do I really care about him. If they throw him in the game and he turns out better than the real spiderman... I'd be more upset than ecstatic that I'm being "represented". Peter Parker will always be my Spider-man... not because he's white, but because that's who he was from the beginning.

Switching a characters ethnicity for the sake of conformity is just ridiculous. Create new, don't change existing. I wasn't a fan when they flipped Nick Fury from being white to being black, not because of any prejudices but because of lack of continuity... he was created as a character white. I wasn't really into his character so it didn't bother me too much, but it just felt like one minute he's white and the next he was black.

I was more upset that Marvel changed their minds and made Wolverines claws part of his mutation after repeatedly pronouncing that they were NOT part of his mutation when his character was created and all the way until some yahoo Marvel writer thought bone claws would be neat. Originally they were added to him as Weapon X when they coated his bones with Adamantium, and they worked for him because of his healing factor. But someone decided to change the character on a whim and now we have stupid bone claws and Daken, and people growing up believing that he was always this way.

This whole census thing is ridiculous. It's a game based on a comic universe and it's ridiculous if you feel "under-represented" by a game. I don't need a comic book hero of my race/gender/orientation/color to make me feel good about myself. My favorites growing up were Angel, Beast, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, and Spiderman. I didn't care that they were white, blue, russian, canadian, etc.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Curious, what colors did you put for Beast and Mystique, as their natural states are blue.... movies non-withstanding.

Other?

Also, I hope that Vision got his own category. He may look male, but I'm guessing that he's sexless.
    we've diving deep into the trench here but...vision is male presenting, can mate, and has been in a relationship with scarlet witch.
    JVReal wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    If the census were of characters in the Marvel universe, how is MPQ doing?

Really, so long as they make the abilities cool and useful in the game, we are all going to use them. If Hulkbuster was being piloted by ISIS, I would still roster him because he is incredibly useful.

So I don't care if they put a non-affiliated stick figure in as the next character... I'm still going to collect the covers if that character is going to be fun to use and help me win matches.
    Isn't this the way we should judge all people and characters? By their abilities, their personalities, by everything BUT Color, Gender, Race, Sexual Orientation? Yet here we are wanting to throw people into the game just because they are under-represented?

I'm hispanic, but I didn't grow up with Miles Morales, nor do I really care about him. If they throw him in the game and he turns out better than the real spiderman... I'd be more upset than ecstatic that I'm being "represented". Peter Parker will always be my Spider-man... not because he's white, but because that's who he was from the beginning.

Switching a characters ethnicity for the sake of conformity is just ridiculous. Create new, don't change existing. I wasn't a fan when they flipped Nick Fury from being white to being black, not because of any prejudices but because of lack of continuity... he was created as a character white. I wasn't really into his character so it didn't bother me too much, but it just felt like one minute he's white and the next he was black.

I was more upset that Marvel changed their minds and made Wolverines claws part of his mutation after repeatedly pronouncing that they were NOT part of his mutation when his character was created and all the way until some yahoo Marvel writer thought bone claws would be neat. Originally they were added to him as Weapon X when they coated his bones with Adamantium, and they worked for him because of his healing factor. But someone decided to change the character on a whim and now we have stupid bone claws and Daken, and people growing up believing that he was always this way.

This whole census thing is ridiculous. It's a game based on a comic universe and it's ridiculous if you feel "under-represented" by a game. I don't need a comic book hero of my race/gender/orientation/color to make me feel good about myself. My favorites growing up were Angel, Beast, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, and Spiderman. I didn't care that they were white, blue, russian, canadian, etc.

You want to throw race and other issues out? you're wayyyy too late. We've got hundreds of years of racial scars. If you want to rewind time somehow and prevent that, be my guess.

Race, Sex, Gender, etc....these issues matter whether you like it or not, and for many of us, we don't have a choice of "ignoring it". It permeates everything we do.

If you're so against conformity, you must hate new marvel. Miles Morales? Why, Peter Parker is still around. All-New Avengers? The old, white ones are fine.

Good that you don't feel a need for representation. But there's tons of kids out there who do.

And honestly, if you don't gaf, let the people who do gaf talk about it and leave us be. You don't care, so it doesn't matter or effect you.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Representation matters, guys and gals. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke to Nichelle about her role on Star Trek...saying she should keep at it because they could've just used an alien instead of a black woman.

Whoopi Goldberg was inspired by this because "There’s a black lady on television and she ain’t no maid!" http://reelgirl.com/2013/09/theres-a-bl ... t-no-maid/
  • JVReal
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

You want to throw race and other issues out? you're wayyyy too late. We've got hundreds of years of racial scars. If you want to rewind time somehow and prevent that, be my guess.

Race, Sex, Gender, etc....these issues matter whether you like it or not, and for many of us, we don't have a choice of "ignoring it". It permeates everything we do.

If you're so against conformity, you must hate new marvel. Miles Morales? Why, Peter Parker is still around. All-New Avengers? The old, white ones are fine.

Good that you don't feel a need for representation. But there's tons of kids out there who do.

And honestly, if you don't gaf, let the people who do gaf talk about it and leave us be. You don't care, so it doesn't matter or effect you.
    It's sad if your self worth is dictated by whether you are represented in a video game, comic or tv show.
    You should be valued for who you are as a whole.
    You shouldn't be hated because you're black, or loved because you're black. You should be hated if you deserve to be hated and loved if you deserve to be loved.
    I'm not 'against conformity' nor do I care about the 'new' versions of characters, I stopped reading comics years ago.
    I'm not stopping you from talking about it... I'm expressing my opinion as you are expressing yours.
    I can't turn back time anymore than you can, but I can move forward just as well as you, if not better since I'm not allowing myself to be weighed down by dragging all this dead weight of the past behind me everywhere I go.

Pride established through self-worth is great. Pride established based on a feeling of superiority is not.

Train our children to be proud of who they are because of the impact they can have on the world and other people, and because they are good people. Don't teach them that they can only believe they are good people if others think they are.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

It's sad if your self worth is dictated by whether you are represented in a video game, comic or tv show.
    You should be valued for who you are as a whole.
    You shouldn't be hated because you're black, or loved because you're black. You should be hated if you deserve to be hated and loved if you deserve to be loved.
    I'm not 'against conformity' nor do I care about the 'new' versions of characters, I stopped reading comics years ago.
    I'm not stopping you from talking about it... I'm expressing my opinion as you are expressing yours.
    I can't turn back time anymore than you can, but I can move forward just as well as you, if not better since I'm not allowing myself to be weighed down by dragging all this dead weight of the past behind me everywhere I go.

Pride established through self-worth is great. Pride established based on a feeling of superiority is not.

Train our children to be proud of who they are because of the impact they can have on the world and other people, and because they are good people. Don't teach them that they can only believe they are good people if others think they are.

Kids look up to and are influenced by the things around them: comics, video games and tv shows.

I don't think that's sad. I think that's human.

Should and shouldn't aren't at play here. When you want to talk real life, let me know.

Well then, if you stopped reading comics years ago, your opinion is even less relevant. Thanks for clearing that up for me, D3, and any comic publishers out there that your opinion should be disregarded since your dollars are nowhere.

You lack empathy.

You show little understanding for the world around you and it's bias.

Again, you CANNOT play the "race/sex/etc. don't matter" card, when we've had HUNDREDS of years where it has.

Move forward? I guess you haven't watched the news.

Donald Trump.

Police.

Republicans.
  • JVReal
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Kids look up to and are influenced by the things around them: comics, video games and tv shows.

Should and shouldn't aren't at play here. When you want to talk real life, let me know.

Well then, if you stopped reading comics years ago, your opinion is even less relevant. Thanks for clearing that up for me, D3, and any comic publishers out there that your opinion should be disregarded since your dollars are nowhere.

You lack empathy.

Again, you CANNOT play the "race/sex/etc. don't matter" card, when we've had HUNDREDS of years where it has.

Donald Trump.

Police.

Republicans.
    Should and shouldn't are absolutely in play here. Do you want to create change or do you like playing the victim all the time? Is it empowering to you to drag garbage around behind you and allowing it's stink to "permeate" every part of your life?

Children look to their parents for role models primarily. If the parent is a victim, the child is a victim. I don't lack Empathy, I have a lot of empathy. What I do lack is patience for people who only want to see themselves as a victim and insert their ethnicity into everything even when it isn't relevant. And no it isn't relevant in everything you do.

When you walk down the street, and a person looks at you... sometimes it's because you are walking down the street... not because you are black and walking down the street.

I think it is ridiculous of you to dismiss my opinion because I don't actively read comics. I don't dismiss your opinion for any reason, I am expressing my disagreement with parts of it and my reasons for it. Nowhere will I dismiss it as invalid.

What is your life goal? Do you want things to get better? You complain that people are being judged/targeted/etc based on their race/sex/etc, but that because it happens we have to accept it and continue to perpetuate the problem by modeling our own life after it? You judge me by my race/sex/etc. so I will judge you in return by your race/sex/etc.
    It's like a parent hitting their kid saying "Don't Hit".

I don't wait for change, I make change starting with what I can control... me. I then influence others around me through my behavior, my children, my neighbors, my friends.

You can't tell people to stop judging you by the color of your skin, then turn around and make everything about the color of your skin.
    I do watch the news, and it's a sad thing. It's sad that people are still being stupid. It's sad that people are still blinded by color, whether it's the police or it's the people protesting.

If Marvel wants to create more diverse heroes, good for them. If they become popular, great! If they get put in the game because they are popular and are great heroes, great! That is progress when it comes to representation in comic books. But this thread isn't about that. It's about representation in the game based on ethnicity, color, gender, etc. The very labels were are trying to overcome as a species. These things are identifiers, not definers of who we are.

I am not JVReal, 40 yr old white/hispanic straight American Male.

I am JVReal nice guy, father of 4, friend to many, and loyal, honest, straightforward, reliable, loving and caring with a low tolerance for willful ignorance.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Don't forget, Isrealites/Jews were slaves for over 400 years, then the germans took a disliking to them.. and antisemitism is still around today.

hateful people will be hateful people, they don't need a reason, just a target. Including them in entertainment/media/games does not fix anything at all, as the people who hate, will not even look at it, or rally against it.

The biggest reason we need to include everyone, is for those still forming their social ideals and morals, if they see all as equal, they will treat all as equal. This includes pretty much everyone.

On a personal note.. i have always thought role models should be real people, not fictional characters.. If your kid wants to fly, introduce them to aviators and aviation engineers, maybe he will end up being a scientists who gives us individual human flight or jet packs... Superman sets an unrealistic example that no kid could ever reach.

EDIT: JVReal posted as i did, so i didn't get to read his, so responding to part of it:
    JVReal wrote:

I am JVReal nice guy, father of 4, friend to many, and loyal, honest, straightforward, reliable, loving and caring with a low tolerance for willful ignorance.

That is one thing about games, we get to be anyone, or anything we want.. I am just about the opposite of you.. 40 white, married, despise children (we have 3 cats, and never plan on having kids), low tolerance for ignorance, low tolerance for stupidity in general, which means a good portion of people.. some people tell me i am grumpy all the time.. yet those who actually know me, know it is the opposite.

As for looking at people while walking.. i love people watching, so does my wife.. means nothing, just general voyeuristic curiosity.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

You lack empathy.

Donald Trump.

Police.

Republicans.

When you walk down the street, and a person looks at you... sometimes it's because you are walking down the street... not because you are black and walking down the street.

they are not at play. When you ask me to 'just let go', are you asking everyone else to? Because, Illtellyahwat, they aren't.

ROFL? Who's playing victim? Asking for representation is playing the victim? icon_rolleyes.gif

Honestly, not gonna read the rest, because the highlighted part is very ignorant.

You cannot speak to me about being black, because, as you said, you are hispanic/white.

You dance around what I say and ask me to 'be a better man'. That's an option for some folks. Others don't get that option.
    Malcrof wrote:
    Don't forget, Isrealites/Jews were slaves for over 400 years, then the germans took a disliking to them.. and antisemitism is still around today.

hateful people will be hateful people, they don't need a reason, just a target. Including them in entertainment/media/games does not fix anything at all, as the people who hate, will not even look at it, or rally against it.

The biggest reason we need to include everyone, is for those still forming their social ideals and morals, if they see all as equal, they will treat all as equal. This includes pretty much everyone.

On a personal note.. i have always thought role models should be real people, not fictional characters.. If your kid wants to fly, introduce them to aviators and aviation engineers, maybe he will end up being a scientists who gives us individual human flight or jet packs... Superman sets an unrealistic example that no kid could ever reach.

EDIT: JVReal posted as i did, so i didn't get to read his, so responding to part of it:
    JVReal wrote:

That is one thing about games, we get to be anyone, or anything we want.. I am just about the opposite of you.. 40 white, married, despise children (we have 3 cats, and never plan on having kids), low tolerance for ignorance, low tolerance for stupidity in general.

As for looking at people while walking.. i love people watching, so does my wife.. means nothing, just general voyeuristic curiosity.

superman is a great example....he's a foreigner struggling with the world he was thrust into while being different. Look at his deconstruction.

We don't get to choose our role models. We just...like them. Aspire to be them. I don't look up to many people because, like me, they're flawed. I linked the Nichelle Nicols article for a reason.

I look and see folks dressing up as Captain Marvel.

I read about girls(and Mark Ruffalo) wanting more Black Widow merch/toys

I see Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales and am so glad they're succeeding as comics.

I mentioned earlier Miles Morales was approved of by Stan Lee for kids to look up to.

I see Legend of Korra and am happy we get a POC in the spotlight, and many were afraid a girl MC would scare away the boys but they "didn't care because she was cool". Also, LGBT.
  • binarypillbug
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Should and shouldn't are absolutely in play here. Do you want to create change or do you like playing the victim all the time? Is it empowering to you to drag garbage around behind you and allowing it's stink to "permeate" every part of your life?

Children look to their parents for role models primarily. If the parent is a victim, the child is a victim. I don't lack Empathy, I have a lot of empathy. What I do lack is patience for people who only want to see themselves as a victim and insert their ethnicity into everything even when it isn't relevant. And no it isn't relevant in everything you do.

I think it is ridiculous of you to dismiss my opinion because I don't actively read comics. I don't dismiss your opinion for any reason, I am expressing my disagreement with parts of it and my reasons for it. Nowhere will I dismiss it as invalid.

What is your life goal? Do you want things to get better? You complain that people are being judged/targeted/etc based on their race/sex/etc, but that because it happens we have to accept it and continue to perpetuate the problem by modeling our own life after it? You judge me by my race/sex/etc. so I will judge you in return by your race/sex/etc.

I don't wait for change, I make change starting with what I can control... me. I then influence others around me through my behavior, my children, my neighbors, my friends.

You can't tell people to stop judging you by the color of your skin, then turn around and make everything about the color of your skin.
    I do watch the news, and it's a sad thing. It's sad that people are still being stupid. It's sad that people are still blinded by color, whether it's the police or it's the people protesting.

If Marvel wants to create more diverse heroes, good for them. If they become popular, great! If they get put in the game because they are popular and are great heroes, great! That is progress when it comes to representation in comic books. But this thread isn't about that. It's about representation in the game based on ethnicity, color, gender, etc. The very labels were are trying to overcome as a species. These things are identifiers, not definers of who we are.

This is a bad post. You're arguing against imagined points and you're being disrespectful.

The fact alone that you see "racism" as a thing people do to themselves, as opposed to something other people to do them, speaks volumes.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

This is a bad post. You're arguing against imagined points and you're being disrespectful.

The fact alone that you see "racism" as a thing people do to themselves, as opposed to something other people to do them, speaks volumes.

First you speak of imagined points.
    Then you complain about disrespect that isn't there, and a point he never made.

Irony, thy name is Binarypillbug.
  • JVReal
    Options

Nowhere did I imply that racism is something people do to themselves. Yes it exists, but not everything is due to a person's race. If one believes that everything in their life revolves around their race, they are their own worst enemy.

I was not disrespectful.

I enjoy many of raisinbman's posts, so sad he felt the need to ignore me.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Just relaying a story from my dad, he is a 93 (soon to be 94) year old WW2 vet. A Brooklyn Jew, sent by his family along with his mother through Ellis Island way back in the day. The general distrust and almost hatred of people of color was how he was brought up, and back in the 20s and 30s, the social norm. Then WW2 happened. He felt it was his obligation to enlist in the US Army Air Corps (origin story of the Air Force in comic terms), and being forced to set aside all he had learned, and having to put his life in the hands of people previously would never have been allowed into his home, is where he changed. He made life-long friends during his time there, and ended up owning a blues bar in Chicago after the war, where he met my mother.

Also, his comic collection, which is now mine, is rather epic icon_e_smile.gif

Life can change the way you look at people, regardless of how you are brought up, what you are taught, or what you see on TV or in comics.

Get to know someone before you hate them, that is the best course. Hate or like people as individuals, not as groups.

That being said, i still hate kids.. all of them, don't care what they look like.. they are vile little buckets of noise and disease that spew bodily fluids indiscriminately on anything or anyone nearby.. if they happen to make it to being a teenager, i am sure they will annoy me then as well..
  • binarypillbug
    Options
    JVReal, you definiately implied it's something people do to themselves. Otherwise you wouldn't have such a long post in response to someone mentioning racism, telling them how they only see themselves as a victim, how they're "dragging garbage around behind them".

You were disrepectful. Putting words in peoples mouths alone is disrespectful; arguing in bad faith is disrespectful.
  • JVReal
    Options
    JVReal, you definiately implied it's something people do to themselves. Otherwise you wouldn't have such a long post in response to someone mentioning racism, telling them how they only see themselves as a victim, how they're "dragging garbage around behind them".

You were disrepectful. Putting words in peoples mouths alone is disrespectful; arguing in bad faith is disrespectful.
    He said in a previous post not far above these,
    We've got hundreds of years of racial scars. If you want to rewind time somehow and prevent that, be my guess.

He implied that racism and other things permeates everything in his life. Thus my analogy to dragging garbage around (the hundreds of years of racial scars of which he didn't personally experience considering he's likely in his late 20's to mid 30's) and the aroma permeating everything he does. I do believe you need to go back and re-read things and try to do so without a chip on your shoulder.

It is healthier to leave the garbage (people's racism towards us and others) at the street for the garbage man to take care of because is it of no benefit to us as individuals, rather than drag it around and let it affect everything that we do.

I will have no further interchange with you regarding this binarypillbug because you obviously have your mind set on how you want to perceive my words, which is contrary to their actual message.
  • binarypillbug
    Options
    He implied that racism and other things permeates everything in his life. Thus my analogy to dragging garbage around (the hundreds of years of racial scars of which he didn't personally experience considering he's likely in his late 20's to mid 30's) and the aroma permeating everything he does. I do believe you need to go back and re-read things and try to do so without a chip on your shoulder.

Maybe I do have a chip on my shoulder, I dunno. But I think you should also be considering whether you do as well.

Also I don't think he means 100 years are directly affecting him, literally. I'm pretty sure he's just saying it's a thing now, and it's been a thing for a while (which affects the now).
This discussion has been closed.