Which Goon ability do you hate the most?

Options

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    Caltrops.
    There is absolutely NO in game counter for this kind of ability.

I solved the Caltrops last night: Squirrel Girl, level 160, 5/3/5.

I was pairing her with 3orch, 220ish, 5/3/5; and Hulkbuster, 250ish, 0/5/5. Get SG's yellow out there first. Turns all caltrops and TTS damage into singles. Leave any TTS tiles out there, because SG's purple will use them to hurt them back. Gather green, blue, and black until you can use HB's black (1st), SG's green (2nd), HB's blue (3rd). This will power Torch's red, protect your green CD tiles from being destroyed, and fuel the CD tiles with big strike tiles. Alternatively, you can fire up Human Torch's green instead, which was doing ~3,700 damage per turn for me with a decent green AP fuel tank.

After that you can fireball anything that you couldn't kill before its CD tile got to 1. Wolverine and Gorgon can be downed within seconds of showing up, because those fireballs should be doing ~5,000 damage each. If you start running out of Red AP, just fire off the HB battery.
  • Unknown
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    Caltrops.
    There is absolutely NO in game counter for this kind of ability.

My personal scaling is at a point where trying to bring in **mags as a support engine for LCAP will often lead to his death from this ability alone. Twice in this PvE my luck was so bad that Caltrops even downed LCap before he could get red or blue online without actually taking a hit from any match damage or CD tile ability.

This ability has no puzzle element to it or skill associated with it.
    Until we get a character who can spot or disable traps I think it's best this skill mark the tiles.
    counter is board spam killing moving fast hulkbombing

board break

they're not going to have a character that can sweep for traps, daredevil/elektra would be royally krutacked
  • Unknown
    Options
    Swarm.
    Pretty much all of the sentry abilities, but swarm is the most obnoxious.

Since the poll did not include that, I'd maybe go with caltrops, but turn to smoke is a bother as well.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    Swarm.
    Pretty much all of the sentry abilities, but swarm is the most obnoxious.

Since the poll did not include that, I'd maybe go with caltrops, but turn to smoke is a bother as well.

Two swarmers and a crit tile sentry are pretty bad together, but swarmers alone aren't so bad... you just need to keep a few weak special tiles in play.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i vote for automatic ap generation.

it's incredibly infuriating getting hit with adamantium slash every 2 turns or less.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not sure if Ultron sentries even technically count as goons, since they take turns and don't automatically generate AP. I think they are just non-playable characters like Ultron himself, Gorgon and old Devil Dinosaur.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not sure if Ultron sentries even technically count as goons, since they take turns and don't automatically generate AP. I think they are just non-playable characters like Ultron himself, Gorgon and old Devil Dinosaur.
    they're goons
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    they're goons

The reason i didn't include them, is the same reason i didn't include Gorgon, who is technically just an uber goon. They don't feel like goons. They move the board and have passives instead of CD tiles or active abilities...

This was more for run of the mill PVE goons, not special event peeps or uber goons.. or i would have to have included Ultron and Ultron Prime
  • Edith09
    Edith09 Posts: 48
    Options
    Caltrops, so annoying icon_evil.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted Suppressing Fire and Tommy Gun.

Suppressing Fire is cheap and frequent and robs you of AP to where you are left trying to match the goon to death because you can't build up AP for anything.

Tommy Gun annoys me because it doesn't show up until after you miss a Threaten or two, and then it's an AOE attack and boosted by Threaten... wiping your whole team in one turn... pisses me right off.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    they're goons

The reason i didn't include them, is the same reason i didn't include Gorgon, who is technically just an uber goon. They don't feel like goons. They move the board and have passives instead of CD tiles or active abilities...

This was more for run of the mill PVE goons, not special event peeps or uber goons.. or i would have to have included Ultron and Ultron Prime
    gorgon is an NPC boss, easily could be made playable like devil dino....why dont u kids remember beat em ups....just because ultron goons are tough doesn't give them boss status
  • Malcrof
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    they're goons

gorgon is an NPC boss, easily could be made playable like devil dino....why dont u kids remember beat em ups....just because ultron goons are tough doesn't give them boss status

Gorgon can not only move the board, but on the few times he has been last alive, it appears he gets free AP per round, like any goon. This is the biggest thing that classifies him as a goon.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

Gorgon can not only move the board, but on the few times he has been last alive, it appears he gets free AP per round, like any goon. This is the biggest thing that classifies him as a goon.[/quote]
    does gorgon really give himself free AP? that smug son of a bleep

i still think like devil dino he will be eventually playable, it doesn't make sense to have non-playable characters in games nowadays
  • binarypillbug
    Options
    I just checked, and Gorgon doesn't generate AP like goons.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    they're goons

I'd say Chrono Tata is right. I say goons are such because they generate AP and do not move the board. Ultron sentries are not goons, nor are Ultron or Gorgon themselves goons. NPC =/= Goon.
  • Unknown
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    they're goons

I'd say Chrono Tata is right. I say goons are such because they generate AP and do not move the board. Ultron sentries are not goons, nor are Ultron or Gorgon themselves goons. NPC =/= Goon.
    goons work under a boss and have no chance at becoming playable
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    That's a pretty subjective definition. How do you know if so-and-so character have no chance at becoming playable? How do you define "working under a boss"? Goon nodes work perfectly well without needing a "boss" character present. A Maggia Don is a mob boss but he's clearly a goon.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    That's a pretty subjective definition. How do you know if so-and-so character have no chance at becoming playable? How do you define "working under a boss"? Goon nodes work perfectly well without needing a "boss" character present. A Maggia Don is a mob boss but he's clearly a goon.

IMO, goons are simply the unnamed characters. If you know the individuals name, it's a character. If the individual just has a title, it's a mook.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    maggia don doesn't have a name so he's a goon

its not a subjective definition, it's video game logic, ah.......

memories of beat 'em ups.....

memories of mmos....

PS here's another hint: Gorgon has a cover, Ultron Prime has a cover, do goons have covers?
  • Malcrof
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    maggia don doesn't have a name so he's a goon

its not a subjective definition, it's video game logic, ah.......

memories of beat 'em ups.....

memories of mmos....

PS here's another hint: Gorgon has a cover, Ultron Prime has a cover, do goons have covers?

But they don't have neato little icons like icon_bro8.pngicon_doombot.pngicon_hammer.pngicon_maggia.pngicon_shield.png do!

Hmm, why no Hand symbol?