HEARTHSTONE

Options

Comments

• Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    As someone who played on the Magic pro tour for years, I don't really agree. I thought the same as you when I just watched other people playing the game, dismissed it as casual, etc. but once I started playing, I realized there are tons of little decisions you need to be making, and the fact that you see a good portion of your deck each game leads to consistent winrates. Right now I'm still adjusting to Heartstone, and with most of my losses, I can look back and realize I would've given myself a better chance by sequencing differently. Magic is a little more complicated than Hearthstone, but in the grand spectrum, it's still one of the most luck-determined CCGs, and most games are over quickly with no difficult decisions.

Ditto
    Especially in arena, there are a number of draft and play decisions that often make or break resulting matches.
    MTG's mana system is just too frustrating to enjoy limited play at its price point, particularly in modo where everything's been worthless since half a year prior to 3.0 release

Although hearthstone does get a little stale due to the lack of rewards from ranked, lack of infusion of new cards since release, and lack of variety of metagame at the legend level

Although frankly, aren't we all just waiting for Hex to finish alpha testing and have the pve content added?
  • Celerity wrote:
    As someone who played on the Magic pro tour for years, I don't really agree. I thought the same as you when I just watched other people playing the game, dismissed it as casual, etc. but once I started playing, I realized there are tons of little decisions you need to be making, and the fact that you see a good portion of your deck each game leads to consistent winrates. Right now I'm still adjusting to Heartstone, and with most of my losses, I can look back and realize I would've given myself a better chance by sequencing differently. Magic is a little more complicated than Hearthstone, but in the grand spectrum, it's still one of the most luck-determined CCGs, and most games are over quickly with no difficult decisions.

Are you a larger name player from the PT I may recognize or just someone who has played in the past? I have qualified for several Nationals in the past but nothing special. I am watching a MTG pro streaming right now and most of the opinions I have stated are his own and the other pro's I see posted on twitter echo those. It was something along the lines of "why do I feel bored even when I am winning". But hey if you get enjoyment from it great, I just see nothing but positive comments in regards to Hearthstone and just wanted to highlight a couple downsides nobody seems to mention.
  • I played when it first came out I would imagine they were considered beta cards.

Beta is black border and you are probably sitting on quite a bit of surprise cash, if you have the right cards.
  • Chimaera wrote:
    Celerity wrote:

Are you a larger name player from the PT I may recognize or just someone who has played in the past? I have qualified for several Nationals in the past but nothing special. I am watching a MTG pro streaming right now and most of the opinions I have stated are his own and the other pro's I see posted on twitter echo those. It was something along the lines of "why do I feel bored even when I am winning". But hey if you get enjoyment from it great, I just see nothing but positive comments in regards to Hearthstone and just wanted to highlight a couple downsides nobody seems to mention.

I don't know if you'd recognize me, but I was one of the original Magic streamers, under this name. Either way I'm not trying to question your experience or compare accomplishments with anybody. There are plenty of good Magic players who feel the same way you do, but I don't think they understand the game well enough. There is a big difference between a 75% winrate Hearthstone player and a 66% winrate player. The small decisions give you a bigger edge than they do in Magic.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    It was something along the lines of "why do I feel bored even when I am winning".

Probably as a result of the fact that hearthstone is pretty mathematical, you're just methodically building card + board advantage.
    Even board clearers like flamestrike are mostly there to be baited out while sitting at the optimum point of advantage - there's very little room from swings/sligh/combos because they're just not as stable as slowly building up your position icon_e_sad.gif

Also winnings aren't really good for much else besides going infinite in arena/disenchanting for those druid legendaries so you can be like everyone else in legend

I really do enjoy the game, and feel it rewards skill much more than MTG ever did...
    but it's almost a chore to log in every 3 days and clear my dailies/do arenas
  • Chimaera wrote:
    I played when it first came out I would imagine they were considered beta cards.

Beta is black border and you are probably sitting on quite a bit of surprise cash, if you have the right cards.

Thanks for the tip. I will dig these out and see if anything is worthwhile. See being a hoarder does pay off lol
  • Ah no sorry, I only started to watch streaming after I got my smartphone a few years ago, generally only watch Michael Jacob. I used to watch Reynad before his attitude slowly got worse and they he got banned for cheating in a PTQ, and now streams Hearthstone with 10k viewers apparently hah. I wonder if he has a personality yet.
  • Chimaera wrote:
    Ah no sorry, I only started to watch streaming after I got my smartphone a few years ago, generally only watch Michael Jacob. I used to watch Reynad before his attitude slowly got worse and they he got banned for cheating in a PTQ, and now streams Hearthstone with 10k viewers apparently hah. I wonder if he has a personality yet.

I carried Mike Jacob to his first Pro Tour (it was a team PT). He's a great player. Reynad is ****. Anyway, one thing I wanted to mention is that Magic definitely rewards adaptability much more than Hearthstone. With the limited card pool and only one draft format, most decks are kind of same-y, and you don't have to adjust your decisionmaking much. But it's still a very new game.
  • Celerity wrote:
    I carried Mike Jacob to his first Pro Tour (it was a team PT). He's a great player. Reynad is tinykitty. Anyway, one thing I wanted to mention is that Magic definitely rewards adaptability much more than Hearthstone. With the limited card pool and only one draft format, most decks are kind of same-y, and you don't have to adjust your decisionmaking much. But it's still a very new game.

Ya I have heard him tell that first PT story a few times, pretty sure I can guess who you are with a little digging :p
  • ooops wrong place
  • Well I have come back from playing Hearthstone for a couple hours. So far so good. Might just have found a replacement for Marvel Nerfing Quest
  • Well I have come back from playing Hearthstone for a couple hours. So far so good. Might just have found a replacement for Marvel Nerfing Quest

yeah I am playing pretty heavy as well. Hex looks amazing.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Finished an arena run and got a epic+ legendary from the pack (Blood knight and illidan). Opened up another arena run as rouge and got an ysera lmfao

Need more luck with MPQ though icon_e_smile.gif
  • eidehua wrote:
    Finished an arena run and got a epic+ legendary from the pack (Blood knight and illidan). Opened up another arena run as rouge and got an ysera lmfao

Need more luck with MPQ though icon_e_smile.gif

lucky dog
  • Hearthstone basically replaced MPQ for me. I've watched plenty of Youtube videos of people playing it until open beta came around and I got to try it myself. It's not as complicated at MTG, but I have a feeling that issue will be fixed once they come out with new booster packs after they finish the open beta. For people that don't like arena because it only shows you three cards at a time, I would counter by saying that it's one of the mode's strengths. It rewards people that know how to play the class they chose effectively no matter what cards come up. There's an element of skill, luck, and a pressure to win in Arena, and it keeps me coming back for more. If you want to play people using the same six legendary cards, then Play mode is for you. icon_razz.gif I only have Millhouse Manorstorm and Alexstrasa, so I'd rather just do Arena icon_e_wink.gif
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I can't wait to play this on IOS. So long MPQ!!
  • Can't believe no one mentioned Might and Magic, duel of champions. It's a free card game which is really good, I like it more than magic because it doesn't have the frustration of lands screws and floods, and it has strategic elements magic doesn't have such as positioning. It's really a great game.

There's so much greed behind magic, and this game is on pair with it in therms of quality, and it's all free.
    Also, just like magic, they release new sets and expansions occasional, and this weekend is going to be an announcement for the second base set: http://www.reddit.com/r/duelofchampions ... this_week/
  • Microtom wrote:
    Can't believe no one mentioned Might and Magic, duel of champions. It's a free card game which is really good, I like it more than magic because it doesn't have the frustration of lands screws and floods, and it has strategic elements magic doesn't have such as positioning. It's really a great game.

There's so much greed behind magic, and this game is on pair with it in therms of quality, and it's all free.
    Also, just like magic, they release new sets and expansions occasional, and this weekend is going to be an announcement for the second base set: http://www.reddit.com/r/duelofchampions ... this_week/

Wow this game rocks more complicated than hearthstone. Now I am bouncing between 3 games I like while hoping this clusterfk gets fixed
  • Microtom wrote:
    Can't believe no one mentioned Might and Magic, duel of champions. It's a free card game which is really good, I like it more than magic because it doesn't have the frustration of lands screws and floods, and it has strategic elements magic doesn't have such as positioning. It's really a great game.

Well it's on Steam, so it's probably going to be relatively cheap to play as long as you catch one of those mega sales.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Microtom wrote:

Well it's on Steam, so it's probably going to be relatively cheap to play as long as you catch one of those mega sales.

So far I haven't had to spend anything there is a decent single player campaign from what I see so far. I am able to gain gold and resources through it which seems to be a decent amount. I will probably spend a bit of cash at some point if I continue to play it.