Server Outage (07/08/15) *Updated

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 250hp doesn't even cover the 300 HP shield i had to use, and couldn't hop to get 1k, but oh well, i will take it.. had a good string of token pulls today, not going to fuss, that ISo was very nice!
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Between this compensation, the HP from Ultron issues, the 1000 HP in the vault, and your lack of a sale - Demiurge/D3 - you guys sure are finding good ways to keep me from spending money on this game. Thanks!
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Since the other thread was locked, reposting my complaint here.

250 HP. Only 1/10th of the redflag.png Hulkbuster I missed out on, 1/15th if you include the blackflag.png Captain Marvel. I feel sorry for those that wasted HP on shields.

If this is generous, it's still not even close to commensurate with what many people lost.
  • So it seems everybody has received their compensation...but I haven't yet. Should I open a ticket or just stay patient? I was participating in both PVE and PVP when the outage occurred and was locked out for nearly eight hours. icon_cry.gif
  • so i appreciate the compensation for an issue that didn't effect me, D3 but u should compensate PVPers fairly:

let's be real:

This was the first serious 4* cover in WEEKS(unless you consider carnage serious, but whatever). There should be special PVP compensation IMO.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did compensation only go out to people who were in an active bracket during the outage? My entire alliance lost out on the chance at top 50 because people couldn't play, but anyone in an early PvP bracket seems to have been left out in the cold.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did compensation only go out to people who were in an active bracket during the outage? My entire alliance lost out on the chance at top 50 because people couldn't play, but anyone in an early PvP bracket seems to have been left out in the cold.

Doubt it, lost a big shield and my hulkbuster because of it.

But any compensation is better than none, i will get that cover next time around.
  • Did compensation only go out to people who were in an active bracket during the outage? My entire alliance lost out on the chance at top 50 because people couldn't play, but anyone in an early PvP bracket seems to have been left out in the cold.
    I finished PVP and was asleep during the outage, and got compensated. No idea why your guild got the cold shoulder, bud.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did you play R&G? This is people who were in no active individual bracket, PvP or PvE.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the 250 HP. Went nicely with the 100 HP I gained from the event. Put me at a loss of just -25 for the entire event to get my HB cover. icon_e_biggrin.gif Now I'm gonna put some of that ISO where it needs to go, Kamala Khan!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was in S5 for PVP, at 600 points when the outage started.

Didn't get compensation.

Of course I didn't _need_ any since I got to 1K easily after the outage, but still, not _everyone_ got compensated.

Maybe you had to be in a PVE bracket too, I haven't touched that with a long stick.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Wish the outage was when I was sleeping. Happened right on my morning refresh and messed up my final placement in Rocket and Groot. Already finished PvP the night before.

Anyway 250hp is a nice gesture and they were speedy with it, but probably still submit a ticket.

Sure 50hp popped on my screen for something else the other day but I was not paying attention.
  • Did you play R&G? This is people who were in no active individual bracket, PvP or PvE.
    Yes, I played R&G and Top Gun PVP that day.

I DID experience the outage when I woke up and wanted to check the status of things, but not during the event.

I slept/worked thru the outage.
    mr_X wrote:
    Wish the outage was when I was sleeping. Happened right on my morning refresh and messed up my final placement in Rocket and Groot. Already finished PvP the night before.

Anyway 250hp is a nice gesture and they were speedy with it, but probably still submit a ticket.

Sure 50hp popped on my screen for something else the other day but I was not paying attention.

it was for ultron
  • Hooray, 250 HP compensation, only 9 more of them and I can buy the cover I missed.
    Pissed.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Part of the reply I got back from support:
    We deeply apologize that you found our level of compensation as unsatisfactory, but will be unable to offer anything further. We ask that you keep in mind this issue affected all players equally, and that is why the decision to make a mass compensation was made.
    Are they honestly unable to understand that they're running a competitive game and that this has a huge impact on seasonal placements? Or that the compensation provided doesn't even come close to covering the rewards lost?

Because I'm pretty sure they do understand all this and just don't care. I regret ever dropping cash on this game and will never do so in the future so, uh, mission accomplished D3?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I get why people are upset, and let's be honest, people should be upset. Everyone hit the reasons why far better than I could.

Let's get one other thing out of the way. No matter what compensation mpq came up with, players would still be upset. In the past they may have given tokens if anything. The 2500 iso and 250 hp is a significant and (imo) a landmark change from past compensation. I'm not saying those who lost out on hb or season points should be happy or content with this, but I do feel it is wrong to totally ignore a clear upgrade on compensation. You can do both, they're not mutually exclusive.

The unplanned outage affected every aspect of the game. There simply no way to correct the multitude of situations. I'll say that in a clearer way, a solution was impossible.

I'm sure some players will continue to say that mpq could look at my past performance to see how I would have done. Aside from the fallacy in that logic, that's not how games and contests work. They're about what you did, not what you could have done.

Does that suck? Yes. Would a solution that made everyone affected happy be great? Yes. Is there a way to do that? No, not when every aspect of the game was affected.

I see a lot of people talking about losing out on hb. But there were greater players who lost many season points or placement. There were newer players that may have missed on a token progressive, or now won't have the points to hit the 10 pack in the season progression. Someone else needed the dpdq cover, but couldn't get it during their allotted time to play mpq that day. Other people lost placement in pve. There was no solution to fix these things.

A lot people lost out in a lot of ways. Tbh given the lose-lose situation, I am just as satisfied with MPQ's response as I with understanding players being dissatisfied with it.
  • The compensation is inadequate. I missed out on 1k Red Hulkbuster because of the server issue. My shield went down and I lost my window to hit 1k with only 2 kills needed. I'm angry.

Because of this incident. Sad to say this is my last season for this game. I come realised the way this game is headed. And the designed towards 4stars and the grind etc. Who knows after that is 5stars I the future. And it's way too expensive. I'll play other games.
  • wuweird
    Does that suck? Yes. Would a solution that made everyone affected happy be great? Yes. Is there a way to do that? No, not when every aspect of the game was affected.
    If they're unable to determine which players were in which events and at least provide rewards accordingly, then there's a huge problem with their back-end infrastructure.

It's really difficult to consider an ISO reward that was less than what I missed out on in the DDQ as anything remotely like a positive. Watching those who had already finished events get additional rewards while those of us who missed out on them get token compensation isn't "lose-lose", because it clearly advantaged one group of people at the expense of others.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    wuweird wrote:
    If they're unable to determine which players were in which events and at least provide rewards accordingly, then there's a huge problem with their back-end infrastructure.

It's really difficult to consider an ISO reward that was less than what I missed out on in the DDQ as anything remotely like a positive. Watching those who had already finished events get additional rewards while those of us who missed out on them get token compensation isn't "lose-lose", because it clearly advantaged one group of people at the expense of others.

Lose-lose meaning no matter what mpq chose to do players would not be happy with the solution. Players lose because they miss out on not getting potentially earning better rewards.

First, it's not just a question of what events players were entered. For example, you mention DDQ and that you had started it. What about all the players who missed out the opportunity to even start ddq? Under your solution, all those players would still be sol. The truth is too many players were affected in too many ways.

Second, it is possible one player was adversely affected in dpdq, pve, pvp progressive, pvp placement, and season score. Figuring out proper reward compensation specifically for just that one player is not just a 5 minute job.

Moreover, you cannot do for one and not another. Meaning, if mpq would calculate which players would have gotten hb progressive, then they have to do the same for all other players concerning all progressives. Furthermore, mpq could not just do that for pvp, theyd have to do it for all events to be fair to all players.

No offense, but I would be more upset if they wasted the time and work hours working on that than spending time on new features like the ant man pve or continuing to improve the game researching things like removing community scaling.
  • wuweird
    The truth is too many players were affected in too many ways.
    I'm not asking for them to go down to individual level rewards. I'm wanting recognition that some players were screwed over worse than others and at least providing some nominal compensation that displayed that. It's the "all players were affected equally" rhetoric that ends up alienating people because it is demonstrably not true.

A simple and far better solution would be to extend active events by the amount of time the server was down.

I personally would be happy for them to take a break from new characters & features if it meant they could either lessen the chance of this happening again or improve the outcome when it does.
This discussion has been closed.