Server Outage (07/08/15) *Updated

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
UPDATE: (3:45 PM PST, 07/08/15)

Hello again,

A brief update on the server outage early this morning. The developers have completed a post mortem on what went wrong and we've begun taking correctional steps to avoid future occurrences.

A few "failsafe" measures were in place which did not function as intended. A server went down and the failover server failed to function correctly. In addition, the standard game servers should have automatically worked to override the problem, which didn't occur. These issues have now been corrected.

Once again, we apologize for the outage. Compensation is being determined and will go out en masse to those who were engaged in events and unable to play. All who were affected will receive the mass compensation. We are unable to process individual compensation requests when so many were affected and all players were affected for the same length of time.

Thank you for your understanding and patience on this. As a general standard, we are working on improving compensation response times and we hope to issue this within the next 48 to 72 hours.

(11:15 AM PST, 07/08/15)

Hi all,

I can confirm that some external servers went down around 3:30 AM (EST) 07/08/2015. It looks like we were offline for approximately 4 1/2 hours. We're still gathering details, working on what went wrong and figuring out how we can ensure this doesn't happen again.

Our apologies for the outage and inconvenience. Compensation for those affected is planned. As I receive additional details I'll provide an update.

Thank you.

Comments

• Do I smell a 4* cover, as the most significant loss was pvp related? icon_cool.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for the update.. it did make Top Gun, into a brutal scramble with everyone getting nowhere and none of us getting our hulkbusters lol...

I will take full blame.. every time i am close to a Hulkbuster red, things blow up.

Sorry about that.
  • Thanks for letting us know you guys were aware that something was not working.

And please don't let the phrase, "Compensation for those affected is planned" mean what it has sometimes meant in prior incidences... icon_razz.gificon_e_wink.gif

It's kind of disheartening to go through the whole ticket process as instructed only to learn that your specific losses are not considered worthy of recompense based on what amounts to a technicality... icon_e_sad.gif

Thanks again for checking in.

DBC
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Do we have to sumit tickets about how we were affected? I missed a refresh wherein 20 or so folks ahead of me managed to squeeze it in before the outage (had to get th kiddos ready for school!). So now at least 3k behind. Plus all the LRs lol
  • Yeah I was shielded in the 900's when the servers went down and shield expired. Entered the game to see I lost 112 points. A friend of mine lost almost 400
  • I know the players most affected were those in the pvp event, but yesterday was the one day I wasn't able to play the game until I got home at midnight (PST) and I stayed up until about 3:00 am hoping I'd be able to get the Thor Modern from the Deadpool Daily. Is there any way to compensate someone who was unable to do the Deadpool Daily because of this outage? Had this happened any other day, I would have completed the Daily hours and hours before this outage happened, but sometimes life gets in the way.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll take a HB Red and 2 Indy Vault token, thanks in advance~
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    When I first glanced at the the thread title I thought it said server outrage.

Anyway thanks.

Yes I would like to know if your meant to submit a ticket or not. I know some times you are inundated with tickets.

Servers went down when I was due a refresh. Which had all been like clockwork before that.
  • Malcrof
    New update just hit on android.. There was one this past weekend as well...
  • Raisse
    Raisse Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Yup. Tried to do Top Gun last night but couldn't get on. Submitted a ticket and went to bed.

This morning I got on briefly for a mad scramble, but couldn't get too high before heading to work.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    How are you going to tell who was affected or not? I don't mean to sound snappy or paranoid, but I held off from even trying to go online on my steam account because I woke up and saw there was an outage. It stopped me from grinding in PvE, etc. But I never really did anything that'd show that, if that makes sense?

I feel like a spoilt child trying to get free stuff, but I promise I'm just genuinely concerned there's no legit way to know everyone who was affected reliably.

Edit: like others said, it'd be cool to know if we need to submit a ticket, because I don't wanna clog up anything haha
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]I can confirm that some external servers went down around 3:30 AM (EST) 07/08/2015. It looks like we were offline for approximately 4 1/2 hours.

Ah, so when the message appears telling me to "Check your internet connection", it means you should check your internet connection.

I guess your servers weren't down, but wasn't the lack of traffic detected and a warning sent? When did you guys actually become aware that there had been downtime, was it from checking the forum or from a spike in support tickets?
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    ShionSinX wrote:
    the most significant loss was pvp related? icon_cool.gif

As if missing refreshes in PvE isn't significant?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    TLCstormz wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    the most significant loss was pvp related? icon_cool.gif

As if missing refreshes in PvE isn't significant?
    big picture - as opposed to imhb red, no. even if it was for Elektra, it affected 1-2 people per slice. scores of people had a shot at imhb and didn't once it crashed.

edit: ps. thanks for posting something about it David - much appreciated.
  • It's because of the Hulkbuster prize in top gun, right?
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

I can confirm that some external servers went down around 3:30 AM (EST) 07/08/2015. It looks like we were offline for approximately 4 1/2 hours. We're still gathering details, working on what went wrong and figuring out how we can ensure this doesn't happen again.

Our apologies for the outage and inconvenience. Compensation for those affected is planned. As I receive additional details I'll provide an update.

Thank you.

Thank you for posting and talking to the community.
  • chris0001
    chris0001 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Don't forget about the loss in alliance ranking due to alli mates not being able to play or who were shielded and shield expired while outage occurred.
  • Malcrof
    and if you wouldn't mind making my wife's car payment, that would be great as well. Thanx.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

Thank you.
    I was unable to connect for nearly 8 hours, not 4 1/2. I wasn't even able to do the mad scramble that others did because I missed the last several hours of Top Gun entirely, including the end.

Not to mention the weird intermittent disconnections since updating to patch R79. I would finish a match and it would show zero points gained or the award screen wouldn't appear at all. Then I'd get disconnected and log back on to find no change to my score. Or the fun disconnection that happened mid-match, where I logged back on to find I had been booted from the match and my whole team was at half health.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    My alliance missed out on top 50 and I sure wouldn't complain about HB and that third vault token, but any compensation is welcome given that a whole ton of us are in the same boat.
This discussion has been closed.