PVE Community Scaling Update

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Top 25 should be impossible for those rosters now that 1k points sometimes doesn't even get you top 25.
    You're assuming players with lv94 rosters are ending up in the same brackets as you. Bad assumption.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Top 25 should be impossible for those rosters now that 1k points sometimes doesn't even get you top 25.
    You're assuming players with lv94 rosters are ending up in the same brackets as you. Bad assumption.

I seem to be stalling out in the 800s in PVP, while a member of my alliance, who is soft capping at 120 is tearing to 1k easily... so, small issue there.

Less of an issue is the actual scaling question.

I asked for advice, mainly because of that stall, on who to level to what, or if it was time to start bringing people to 166. So i started the leveling, now have 5 chars at 154 (need 30k iso each to bring to 166, waiting until i can bring 3)

Needless to say, my PVE's scaled much higher and i am in brackets with the likes of Puerto Rico etc...

But you know what? Currently sitting top 10 in Venom Heroic, whilst prior when i was in brackets with those who had soft capped at 100 or so, i struggled for top 50.

With community scaling off, it now makes even more sense to level and not soft cap your roster, at least in PVE. PVP just keeps getting harder.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

As far as I know, PVP doesn't have "vets" and "rookie" brackets like PVE does.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

They shard people into different brackets, but there are a lot more than 2 categories.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Good, then you learned something today...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know multiple newer players that claim winning brackets with 500-600 and t25-50 with 400-500. only way that is true is with noob brackets. I can't remember what the progression was when I started but I think I finished t10 once and the next event struggled to finish t300. that was a wake up call. I had been bragging that the game was so easy to someone and that I'd been placing so well and I had hardly been playing very long.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Also need some adjustment for starting levels - about 6 weeks ago I made the mistake of maxing Nick Fury to lv 270. He has been boosted to 350 for most events since then. This has caused me to be facing Level 280 Ares, Daken, Moonstone etc straight away - these are not battles that are beatable without a serious amount of luck & are definitely not grindable at the end of a sub.

I have gone from consistently top 10 -25 in PvE for almost a year to struggling to make top 150.

We should not be penalised for levelling our Roster!!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am very glad that it has been turned off before Carnage showed in a PVE.. can you imagine a lvl 395 final node Carnage????
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I hope folks don't think they are placing/doing well in the PVEs because community scaling is turned off. A lot of it has to do with the reward being garbage, so nobody is competing.

Everyone will get a taste of the real deal now it seems. Let's see how everyone likes it...
  • Dauthi wrote:
    I hope folks don't think they are placing/doing well in the PVEs because community scaling is turned off. A lot of it has to do with the reward being garbage, so nobody is competing.

Everyone will get a taste of the real deal now it seems. Let's see how everyone likes it...
    no, according to certain forums members, community scaling seperated the wheat from the chaff, you're WRONG!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:

According to this poll, when community scaling was turned off for Prodigal Sun, a lot of people prefer community scaling to be turned off, myself included. I am a T2 player when I want to be, with or without community scaling, but when it comes to playing the game, I prefer community scaling being off.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Good, then you learned something today...
    I did, thanks.
  • Platzy
    Platzy Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    They shard people into different brackets, but there are a lot more than 2 categories.

Is that still based on elusive MMR-Voodoo criteria?
    What is the current wisdom on which factors influence the sharding or is your guess as good as mine?
  • Platzy wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Is that still based on elusive MMR-Voodoo criteria?
    What is the current wisdom on which factors influence the sharding or is your guess as good as mine?

No one's really sure. There's no real way to tell, directly. It's probably based on some general "past success" thing, but that's really just a guess.
  • Asmodius37
    Asmodius37 Posts: 32
    Druss wrote:
    Also need some adjustment for starting levels - about 6 weeks ago I made the mistake of maxing Nick Fury to lv 270. He has been boosted to 350 for most events since then. This has caused me to be facing Level 280 Ares, Daken, Moonstone etc straight away - these are not battles that are beatable without a serious amount of luck & are definitely not grindable at the end of a sub.

I have gone from consistently top 10 -25 in PvE for almost a year to struggling to make top 150.

We should not be penalised for levelling our Roster!!

Yeah, my fights got dumb when I went from a few 166's or so, to after I leveled my pre Nerf X-Force and 4thor to 270. My fights got silly and I HAD to use them for nearly EVERY node. Maybe one day they will reevaluate the way they calculate levels things start at, and not do it via the first few characters you have. Where its like 'geez you have a powered up Nick Fury and Patch, your roster MUST be an average of like 300 or so'. I sold my 4Thor and X-Force and things got way easier for PvE. Still punitive for fleshed out rosters, but at least it was semi ok to start. Maybe one day they will get the memo and have more realistic trivial, easy, normal, hard, and very hard difficulty markers and ranges.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Dauthi wrote:

"the reward being garbage"? 3* Captain Marvel is not garbage for most players. Of course, for an elitist like yourself, maybe you all ready have her maxed. But the serfs like me are still building our roster... Which is what PvE is for.

"Nobody"? Really? I see plenty of full brackets, so there has to be someone else besides me and those in my alliance playing. If you're not, good for you. Enjoy whatever else you do to occupy your time, and let the rest of us play this game for fun.
  • A good thing that came from community scaling turned off is that every node is being challenging, but beatable. You will wipe, but you never get that sensation "Screw this, that was totally cheap, I'm not trying this **** again". Well, i actually thought that on the Thing essential node with Carnage + 2 Muscles, but simply because i didn't had the characters for it (My Daredevil is 2/1/3), Kamala at 2/1/1 and i knew i could beat it if i had them at better cover/levels. And i actually did beat it sometimes, but it ended up not worth the risk of wiping after some point.

Before you had very easy nodes (trivials could go lvl 15 ) and extremely overscaled ones who were totally dependant on initial board + luck. There were some nodes in between, like the essentials.

Another good think is that the devs, to make the nodes challenging without overscaling, have been very creative, like using Cyclops as a Dark Avengers, pairing Mystique/Doc Ock, etc. Lots of different nodes, gone the nodes with Daken/Ares/Bullseye/Moonstone/Juggs/Venom over and over again.

And thank God, there were no nodes with heroes + goons that fed them their colors powers (well, there was one node i remember there was a goon feeding Moonstone purple, but that was easily counterable).

To tell the truth, i think i wiped more without community scaling than with, simply because when it was on, i simply never did the overscaled nodes after a certain point and only farmed the normal ones, but now i try to clear them all because it never felt cheap even if you get defeated.

Also, since there are more heroes being used instead of goons, you take much more match damage. Even when they are below lvl 166, they appear to be fully covered 5/5/5.
  • Arphaxad
    Lanko8 wrote:
    A good thing that came from community scaling turned off is that every node is being challenging, but beatable. You will wipe, but you never get that sensation "Screw this, that was totally cheap, I'm not trying this **** again". Well, i actually thought that on the Thing essential node with Carnage + 2 Muscles, but simply because i didn't had the characters for it (My Daredevil is 2/1/3), Kamala at 2/1/1 and i knew i could beat it if i had them at better cover/levels. And i actually did beat it sometimes, but it ended up not worth the risk of wiping after some point.

Before you had very easy nodes (trivials could go lvl 15 ) and extremely overscaled ones who were totally dependant on initial board + luck. There were some nodes in between, like the essentials.

Another good think is that the devs, to make the nodes challenging without overscaling, have been very creative, like using Cyclops as a Dark Avengers, pairing Mystique/Doc Ock, etc. Lots of different nodes, gone the nodes with Daken/Ares/Bullseye/Moonstone/Juggs/Venom over and over again.

And thank God, there were no nodes with heroes + goons that fed them their colors powers (well, there was one node i remember there was a goon feeding Moonstone purple, but that was easily counterable).

To tell the truth, i think i wiped more without community scaling than with, simply because when it was on, i simply never did the overscaled nodes after a certain point and only farmed the normal ones, but now i try to clear them all because it never felt cheap even if you get defeated.

Also, since there are more heroes being used instead of goons, you take much more match damage. Even when they are below lvl 166, they appear to be fully covered 5/5/5.

This, exactly. Thank you Lanko8, you said it perfectly.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    So if community scaling is turned off why did my Sim7 node go up 20 levels overnight?
  • Arphaxad
    Wil88 wrote:
    So if community scaling is turned off why did my Sim7 node go up 20 levels overnight?

There is still personal scaling. If you beat a node, and the computer determines you need more of a challenge, it raises the NPC levels for you. But, if I beat it easily, it doesn't raise your node levels, that is community scaling.