* Yelena Belova (Dark Avengers) *

Comments

• He's kind of expensive in some what of a way but yelena is even more useless
  • If you want a one star black ability, modern storm should have you covered. Or venom.
  • She occassionally comes in useful when I need a 1* and Black Widow is on heal.

Her black power takes too long to charge. Useful when it goes off, but a pain to get it there. Her purple also takes long to charge. She's what I consider a "support" character and I can list a whole host of others I'd rather take, even on my limited roster.

If you need an extra slot, she'd be one of the first I'd drop.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    If the Black Widows modern and original did not exist, her purple might be considered good. But they do, so there's no reason to ever use Yelena.
  • I think yelena is underrated. Her black is really quite good against countdown timers.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Bugpop wrote:
    I think yelena is underrated. Her black is really quite good against countdown timers.
    ++. If only if it weren't so expensive...
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I think yelena is underrated. Her black is really quite good against countdown timers.
    She isn't.
    Even Bagman and Chawkeye can deal with them better at a much lower ap cost.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Guys, go watch Agent Carter. The russian spy is rumored to be Yelena Belova
  • I think giving this character an "Adaptoid" third power, (it happened with her in the comics) would be a neat buff. Have it be similar to Colossus' fastball special, but instead she mimics an ability from the opposing team, dealing damage to herself after using the ability.

Could have it start with a low AP cost but high damage, and then as it levels, raise the AP cost, but reduce the self damage?

I dunno, I've been looking at the handful of "two power" characters and trying to think of something that would fit.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    They will likely never add a third power to a 1*, even 2* Bullseye is unlikely to gain a third ability (let's see what they do now that he has a 3*). A player isn't in 1* land long enough to care about missing an ability. Plus you have to remember that Juggs, Venom and Yelena are the most common enemies, we don't want to give them additional tools to beat us with.
  • They will likely never add a third power to a 1*, even 2* Bullseye is unlikely to gain a third ability (let's see what they do now that he has a 3*). A player isn't in 1* land long enough to care about missing an ability. Plus you have to remember that Juggs, Venom and Yelena are the most common enemies, we don't want to give them additional tools to beat us with.

But they continually have boosts for 1 stars and even the DDQ has a 1star node for Iso. It's not like they're meant to be completely discarded and disregarded forever.

I was just suggesting something fitting, especially for a character nearly no one would be using otherwise. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    I just noticed after having a bunch of roster slots purchased and having room for the 1 star roster again, however temporary, that as soon as a spot was needed, I immediately pitched Yelena. No debate, no hesitation, even though she was 5/5. I'd toyed with the 1 star rank a bit in the balance of power event, and she's just not very good at all.

With her 2 covers being removed from the standard token rotation, that would either increase the chance of getting other 1 star characters extra covers, to ease their leveling process for the new experience, or perhaps giving a third power to 2 of the lower capped 1 stars. (Yes, I still want to see that happen at some point.)

Would you miss her if she was removed and placed into strictly PVP reward territory like Bag-Man has been?

Edited to add final poll results.

Item - Votes - % of Total Votes
    Yes - 31 - 76%
    No - 10 - 24%
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bag-Man is not retired. He's just biding his time, waiting for just the right moment.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    i had to think about this for a little bit. for the one star stage i used the 2 power heroes and iron man to get through relative quickly so i do think there is a purpose for them. but she is awful, it is a relief to find her on the enemy team when facing high level nodes. if they give her a good 3rd power it could upset the scales, but there are more important things i would have them spend their time on.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    For the sake of the point, some missions reward you with a Belova cover.

What would you replace it with? Given her and Venom are both garbage characters, sure I'd prefer a rework but I do see where you're coming from. I pitched them in the can and never looked back as well...

So then what do we do? Throw more Storm/IM35/Widow covers at people? Change them to Standards?
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Sooner or later, D3 will rework Yelena. Count on it. icon_twisted.gif
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    I actually get angry when I get a cover for her. Her existence offends me.
  • Blahahah wrote:
    For the sake of the point, some missions reward you with a Belova cover.

What would you replace it with? Given her and Venom are both garbage characters, sure I'd prefer a rework but I do see where you're coming from. I pitched them in the can and never looked back as well...

So then what do we do? Throw more Storm/IM35/Widow covers at people? Change them to Standards?

Considering she's only rewarded in the final prologue chapter Oscorp? I'd upgrade some of her rewards to a 2 star character. Personal opinion, replace her spot in the node Iso-8 Delivery with OBW Purple, Blue, and Black, and her spots in the Like Father, Like Son node, I'd replace with an extra storm and thor cover, making 4 total for each available over the entire prologue. Because by the point I was able to run Oscorp, the 1 star covers were kind of not needed.

It's pretty much commonly felt that OBW is a keystone of the 2 star experience, along with storm, thor, and magneto, so having a way to get her a few covers wouldn't be bad for 1-2 transitioners, which you should be doing by the time you're in Oscorp.

You could just change them to standards or Storm/IM35 covers as well, but the standards actually run a risk of giving a player a 3 star -way- too early. I know I pulled a rags from a token in there.

Or, alternatively, if I was fully in the driver seat, I'd replace her 5 spots with new covers for Hawkeye and Widow, so at least the hero side is up to full cover levels and level 50. This leaves Venom and Jugs as odd men out, much like 2Bullseye was for quite a while, but for Jugs, I don't think he needs a new power and cap increase due to the fact he's severely out of balance with the others, and Venom?

Well, I'd like to see Venom upped to 3 abilities too, but if you introduce -3- new abilities in the 1 star rank, you're diluting the chances of getting needed covers slightly more, but it is offset by having less characters to maintain.

I actually once made a post about upping Yelena, Venom, Widow, Hawkeye, and Jug with another power to have their level caps be equal to IM/Storm, but there were compelling arguments against it, the dilution of needed covers being the main problem. Yelena being removed would counter act the dilution some by making less total characters to have cover pulls for, however. I still think Widow and Hawkeye should get 3rd powers, and there's "low" hanging fruit development wise, to a degree, by giving Widow the Espionage passive from 2 star widow, and Hawkeye the stun arrow, from 2 star hawkeye. This would entail redoing their damage colors as both seem to have yellow as a default third attack color.

But now Im way off track. I just don't think Yelena adds anything to the player pool, and her removal would not harm the game in the long term. Unless, you know, she's just buried so deep into the code everything would unravel.
  • Also, im obviously biased, and I see some people have voted no, so I'd love to hear a counter argument on her merits. I actually have a RL friend who -adores- Yelena and wishes her replacing Natasha would have "took" in the comics, who'd probably not be happy I made this thread. But he doesn't play anyway. icon_razz.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Sooner or later, D3 will rework Yelena. Count on it. icon_twisted.gif

I honestly doubt it. It's not like many of us are clamouring to use 1*s any more. Newbies can enjoy the same 1*s we grew up with before swiftly moving onto 2*.
    If anyone needs reworking it's Moonstone. She's better, but still kinda meh.

Still wondering if they'll ever do 2* Cyclops.