The snail pace of 4* transition

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I was lucky and got Carnage in my PvP token... single cover Green.

So now I'm still just missing Fury and Devil Dinosaur.

Then again, most of my 4*s exist, but aren't well covered. I got my first 1,000 progression in the SG PvP, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get that progression reward every once in awhile.

3* transition was helped along by DDQ, or there is no way I'd be competitive enough in PvP to sniff that 1,000 progression... as it is, I still only get to 850+ if I'm 13 covered on at least one of the other boosted characters.

I'm guessing that this Carnage PvP isn't going to go well, with essentially a loaner to work with for 90% or more of the players.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    I'm guessing that this Carnage PvP isn't going to go well, with essentially a loaner to work with for 90% or more of the players.
    I'm actually hoping/half expecting the opposite. carnage being new is obviously desired and hopefully most of the high-end guys are going to at least be playing up to 1000 for him. hopefully that will mean there are points out there to be had for the rest of us. rising tide....
  • Buret0 wrote:

Closer to 99% of players, probably, because even most of the people who have one only have a single cover and are better off going with the loaner.

My big question is how easy will it be to cross 1000 with a loaner.
  • So for some reason D3 limited Carnage to a 3.2% boosted draw. Prof X, Kingpin and Hulkbuster had 5.5% boosted draws which let me get 1 cover for every $100 I threw at it; but statistically I should have gotten at least two. I've dropped $200 on Carnage and got _zero_ 4* covers from it. That's just terrible -- that's a lot of money for NOTHING. With 84 draws, statistically I should have 2-3 Carnage covers with 3.2%. I'm always drawing short of the stated statistics. I'm kinda mad because after about $1620 now, I have had one 42x draw (out of 15) give me the correct amount of 3* or better as advertised. Already the prices have been ridiculous and when you pony up, you still get dirt, regret, and anger at the game you are trying to love.

I did earn his green cover from top 50 personal placement. That was a ton of work, but that's his weakest power.

I'm going to attempt to get 1K in his PvP event, but I've never gotten 1K before.
    Pour some liquor out for this person's bank account, y'all.

Honestly? I would've just waited to see WHATEVER they were going to do with 4* and deadpool daily and splurge my money there if I were you.

Not saying I've never bought a 42-pack(I think I've bought 3?), but yeah....
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    As long as the now permanent random PvP boosts exist, 3* will continue to dominate and 4* are just playable trophies. So the key is to begin fully leveling your 3*'s knowing they are the key. Unless you spend $ you will always be chasing something, so max what you have and find some cool combos when they are buffed

****DING****DING!**** WINNER!!!****DING****DING!****
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

Closer to 99% of players, probably, because even most of the people who have one only have a single cover and are better off going with the loaner.

True. I'm forseeing the whales with maxed Carnages just unshielded slapping around anyone with a loaner and saying, "Retaliate, I dare you."
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

True. I'm forseeing the whales with maxed Carnages just unshielded slapping around anyone with a loaner and saying, "Retaliate, I dare you."

I'm more inclined to think the popular thinking will be "see, big carnage! pls don't hit me pretty pls". At least, that's how I feel when I'm trying to climb and my featured/buffed are all my best guys. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Arctic_One
    Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    Arctic_One wrote:
    if an event is for a 4* reward and the big dogs all come out and 1000 progression is much more difficult
    You have that totally backwards. It's way easier to hit 1k when everyone is running up high scores. You have higher point targets to hit, and people are less likely to hit you when they can get a 75 point target instead.

If the top 100 are fielding teams I cannot beat with my moderate 3* roster, than the value of the target is irrelevent.
    For example, my best 2 character team is LCap covered and leveled and Hulk at 5/3/3 at140. I can reach 700 easily and then i lose a few. Eventually i hit 800 and i lose more, At 900 im losing 2 attacks for every match played. So, how is a higher point target helpful?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

Crossed 1K with the black loaner and a few various builds today in Shard 1. Wasn't hard, a bit time consuming though but definitely possible. I have no Jane, HB, or IF if anyone thinks I'm climbing with the current common cover in PvP.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

Crossed 1K with the black loaner and a few various builds today in Shard 1. Wasn't hard, a bit time consuming though but definitely possible. I have no Jane, HB, or IF if anyone thinks I'm climbing with the current common cover in PvP.
    Congrats! And I'm glad to know that it's doable with the loaner...
    I wonder if you saw many leveled Carnage or not during your climb?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

No, don't think so. Maybe a few but I skipped them. I honeslty just beat on what I thought would be easy rosters like GSBW/Psylocke. Boosted Jane was probably the biggest obstacle all PvP but I skipped a few of them.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I just made it to 1000 in Carnage PVP (with the Black and Green loaners, mostly) and I only saw one half-leveled Carnage the entire way through, who only had Red and Green and never got to fire Green. Overall, he wasn't very frightening, and there were a TON of points available. I was only using 3*s, too.

This PVP was probably one of the easiest to get to 1000 this month -- almost no one has Carnage, part due to the reduced drop rates on tokens and the 7-day PVE (which I gave up on because I crashed out of every game the first two days). You can pick the color of the loaner now (which is amazing) to match your 2-char team, and you're fighting a guy who does negligible damage at 1 cover and has 5800 hp, with a squishy set of boosted characters that have no synergy with each other or Carnage since all the tanks came out last week.

I do want the 4*s, but it turns out that during the last 3 seasons and DDQ, I covered new 3*s really really quickly. I have a fully built Scarlet Witch, QS 3/4/4, Bullseye 2/0/4 and Vision 3/2/2. All the other 3* except for Kamala are fully covered. Now, with progressions easier and placement harder, the 3* cover rate will probably decrease for me and the 4* will go up. I think that's ok.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arctic_One wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Arctic_One wrote:
    if an event is for a 4* reward and the big dogs all come out and 1000 progression is much more difficult
    You have that totally backwards. It's way easier to hit 1k when everyone is running up high scores. You have higher point targets to hit, and people are less likely to hit you when they can get a 75 point target instead.

If the top 100 are fielding teams I cannot beat with my moderate 3* roster, than the value of the target is irrelevent.
    For example, my best 2 character team is LCap covered and leveled and Hulk at 5/3/3 at140. I can reach 700 easily and then i lose a few. Eventually i hit 800 and i lose more, At 900 im losing 2 attacks for every match played. So, how is a higher point target helpful?
    Better question is, what does your roster, and who you can beat, have anything to do with it getting harder for you when other people are running up big scores? Look, it's not rocket science. When there are more points in the shard, it pulls everyone up because everyone is getting more points per battle. Irrespective of who you can beat and who you can't beat.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's my view on this topic: PvP is to 4* as DDQ is to 3*. In DDQ, if you don't have a solid 2* roster, it is nearly impossible to attain a 3* cover. Once you get your 2* roster, you might struggle sometimes, but you should be able to get a 3* cover everyday. In PvP, If you don't have a solid 3* roster, you will likely not get to 1k for that 4* cover (but you can probably hit 800 for the 3*). If you have a solid 3* roster, you might struggle sometimes, but you should be able to get a 4* cover every event. In PvP, there is added strategy because of shielding and other players. I think the new scoring system is a part of the 3* -> 4* transition that the devs want.

I certainly hope this is the case. I have a very solid 3* roster (with one viable 4*, but HB is very nearly there,) and I do find it possible to reliably hit 1000 if I can plan for it. The weekends are frequently tough, though. It will probably get easier when I can climb higher before shield hopping.

It's still very, very slow, though. Other than HB (and IF, who is really no good for PVP at all,) I have four to eight covers at most on my other 4*s. It will still take months for me to finish them, even if I can hit 1000 every time they come up...
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    No, don't think so. Maybe a few but I skipped them. I honeslty just beat on what I thought would be easy rosters like GSBW/Psylocke. Boosted Jane was probably the biggest obstacle all PvP but I skipped a few of them.

I really just wanted to ask... who is Jane?

Fought a maxed Carnage/HB/GSBW because I wasn't paying attention and it turned out to be the easiest match of the event, as the poor synergy sent the ai collecting all kinds of ap and they didn't get enough to fire a single power in the end.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really just wanted to ask... who is Jane?

4Thor.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    So for some reason D3 limited Carnage to a 3.2% boosted draw. Prof X, Kingpin and Hulkbuster had 5.5% boosted draws which let me get 1 cover for every $100 I threw at it; but statistically I should have gotten at least two. I've dropped $200 on Carnage and got _zero_ 4* covers from it. That's just terrible -- that's a lot of money for NOTHING. With 84 draws, statistically I should have 2-3 Carnage covers with 3.2%. I'm always drawing short of the stated statistics. I'm kinda mad because after about $1620 now, I have had one 42x draw (out of 15) give me the correct amount of 3* or better as advertised. Already the prices have been ridiculous and when you pony up, you still get dirt, regret, and anger at the game you are trying to love.

The luck gods must have heard my call. I dropped another $100 this morning and I got my $300's worth. Got 4 covers for my missing colors!
    My bad mood is gone. I can now try to go for 1000. That would make my day.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Also ran to 1K with a loaner, straight from 650 and never shielded. Only saw a few carnage with more than two covers, skipped them. Lots of teams of the buffed characters - and I think this is a particularly weak week of them, easy to beat even the maxed buffed ones.

I may have gotten a randomly good time though - team-mates were having a hard go of it six to eight hours later.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Also ran to 1K with a loaner, straight from 650 and never shielded. Only saw a few carnage with more than two covers, skipped them. Lots of teams of the buffed characters - and I think this is a particularly weak week of them, easy to beat even the maxed buffed ones.

I may have gotten a randomly good time though - team-mates were having a hard go of it six to eight hours later.

I went from 579 to 1029 with 4Thor (198, 251 boosted) and XForce (221), like the good ol' days that I never go to do. Fought one 3-power Carnage the whole way, but it was level 100 (I think, didn't pay attention but it didn't hit hard)

I climbed with 4.5 hrs left, didn't see any resistance.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    4* covers are easy to get. It's the ISO that keeps me from developing a robust 4* roster.
  • 4* covers are easy to get. It's the ISO that keeps me from developing a robust 4* roster.
    Do we need to go on Maury?