The snail pace of 4* transition

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    spectator wrote:
    A season doesnt run for a month, and only has 7 pvp
    There are more than 7, but who cares? Let's just say there are three PvPs a week, so anyone who puts in the effort can, at a minimum, get three 4*s a week. This isn't a snail's pace.

I would say it is a snails pace. There are 10 4* with 9 in rotation, and more to arrive soon. So you get 1 of each 4* every 3 weeks hitting 1000 points in PVP. The Devs have said this transition should be faster than the 2-3* transition. Last time I checked 3*13=39 weeks. Now realistically you will cover a character faster than that becuase of random tokens, but that is a snails pace even if you start with 2-3 covers of a 4* it will be months before they are usable unless you invest a large amount of HP into them. Through DPDQ, PVP and PVE I was able to get IF fully leveled in a couple of months. I used HP for 1 purple.

I would just like to see the Devs show a better path to earning 4*. Maybe running a PVP where top 50 gets the 4* cover. I want to be able to work for 4* and win 4* not just luck into them with tokens. That is nice, but I would rather earn them. I would also like to get a chance to play them sooner than 30+ weeks.

Can you provide a quote for the bolded bit? I don't see how or why transitioning into the elite rarity of cards should be easier or quicker than the previous transition.
  • metabelian
    metabelian Posts: 67
    DrNitroman wrote:
    I just earned my second 4* cover through 1000 progression reward since these recent scoring changes. Before these changes I had stopped trying to reach these progression marks in PvP. Therefore, from my point of view, it's clearly an improvement. icon_e_smile.gif

Same here. Finally got my first Elektra cover and added another Hulkbuster, hope to pick up Carnage in the next PVP. It's very doable w/ a few good 3* and a shield or two.
  • Arctic_One
    Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    With a solid 3* roster, 1000 progression is DOABLE but not a given, add in the fact that if an event is for a 4* reward and the big dogs all come out and 1000 progression is much more difficult, as well as top 100. Nevermind a NEW 4* character.
    And not all of us are in top 100 alliances so, that route isn't a given either. Try hard and you will get ONE maybe Two 4* a season easily. Anything more than that is a bonus.
    That said, I'm happy with the speed of the 4* transition. I believe it should be a slow pace or you can pay through the nose to get there fast. As someone else said on the forums recently, once you have it all, what is the point to continuing?
    It's as much the journey as it is the destination.
  • Arctic_One wrote:
    With a solid 3* roster, 1000 progression is DOABLE but not a given, add in the fact that if an event is for a 4* reward and the big dogs all come out and 1000 progression is much more difficult, as well as top 100. Nevermind a NEW 4* character.
    And not all of us are in top 100 alliances so, that route isn't a given either. Try hard and you will get ONE maybe Two 4* a season easily. Anything more than that is a bonus.
    That said, I'm happy with the speed of the 4* transition. I believe it should be a slow pace or you can pay through the nose to get there fast. As someone else said on the forums recently, once you have it all, what is the point to continuing?
    It's as much the journey as it is the destination.
    considering D3 won't stop producing characters every 5 seconds, I doubt anyone can 'have it all' for very long
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Can you provide a quote for the bolded bit? I don't see how or why transitioning into the elite rarity of cards should be easier or quicker than the previous transition.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20612
    In order to do this, we have to continue evolving the design and some of this will change what players have come to expect as the status quo. For starters, we’ll be releasing more 4*s this year, a lot more. We’re currently devoting a lot of thought to making that transition smoother than it was from 2*s to 3*s.

This doesn't exactly say faster, but I don't know how else to interpret smoother. They kept their word on releasing "a lot more", that's for sure.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20612
    In order to do this, we have to continue evolving the design and some of this will change what players have come to expect as the status quo. For starters, we’ll be releasing more 4*s this year, a lot more. We’re currently devoting a lot of thought to making that transition smoother than it was from 2*s to 3*s.

This doesn't exactly say faster, but I don't know how else to interpret smoother. They kept their word on releasing "a lot more", that's for sure.
    There is no transition. They're simply making one.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread should be moved back in time 4 months. At that time the 1300 prog reward was the only reasonable way to get 4* after release (1st in pvp, and top 2 in pve are too difficult to do reliably. Nice if you can get them, but not a transition strategy).

And 1300 all but required 2 4*s because thorverine was so dominant. At that time, the 4* transition was a hugebporblem for the game.

Since that time, 4* alliance rewards for release have been moved to top 100, the 4* prog has dropped to 1k, and scoring has been increased. And 4* drop rates are scheduled to go up a bit fairly soon. I think the 4* transition is still a bit problematic given the rate of character release, but it's now better than it has been in at least 8 months.

Pylgrim's breakdown above of the various ways to get 4*s is accurate (except that I would say 2 covers per release event is reasonable rather than 3. I think top 10 in those events is a bit more grinding than the average player can/should manage).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    spectator wrote:
    A season doesnt run for a month, and only has 7 pvp
    There are more than 7, but who cares? Let's just say there are three PvPs a week, so anyone who puts in the effort can, at a minimum, get three 4*s a week. This isn't a snail's pace.

I would say it is a snails pace. There are 10 4* with 9 in rotation, and more to arrive soon. So you get 1 of each 4* every 3 weeks hitting 1000 points in PVP. The Devs have said this transition should be faster than the 2-3* transition. Last time I checked 3*13=39 weeks. Now realistically you will cover a character faster than that becuase of random tokens, but that is a snails pace even if you start with 2-3 covers of a 4* it will be months before they are usable unless you invest a large amount of HP into them. Through DPDQ, PVP and PVE I was able to get IF fully leveled in a couple of months. I used HP for 1 purple.

I would just like to see the Devs show a better path to earning 4*. Maybe running a PVP where top 50 gets the 4* cover. I want to be able to work for 4* and win 4* not just luck into them with tokens. That is nice, but I would rather earn them. I would also like to get a chance to play them sooner than 30+ weeks.

December Q&A the 4* transition should be smoother than the 2-3*. The point change is a definite help for the 4* transition. It is smoother. It was in December, but could be better. I do think some PVP where you could win 4* would be awsome. I want to earn my 4* but I don't have the time to hit 1st place in PVE or PVP.
  • I managed to hit 1k twice since the points change and buffed 3*, I am still trying to get a feel of how and when to shield, but it is certainly doable and a great joy in getting those 4* covers with effort rather than luck.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arctic_One wrote:
    if an event is for a 4* reward and the big dogs all come out and 1000 progression is much more difficult
    You have that totally backwards. It's way easier to hit 1k when everyone is running up high scores. You have higher point targets to hit, and people are less likely to hit you when they can get a 75 point target instead.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I'm pretty sure "smooth" there just means smooth. As in better planned and more purposeful. 2-3* transition a year ago was extremely haphazardous with a huge amount of 3*s you could win, low-odd packs and hardly ever other ways to earn them besides PVP. So yeah, it is now easier to transition into 4* than transitioning into 3* was when it was created, but 3* transition is several times easier nowadays.
  • Er...I was just looking through some of your posts Twombley and I don't know if this is still the case, but do you really not play PVP at all? Because...that's kind of why you're not getting any 4 stars. You absolutely cannot build a 4 star team doing nothing but solo PVE (with the exception of those rare maniacs that play PVE 12 hours a day and gets first place every time, but somehow I don't think you're one of those)
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    spectator wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Getting 1k in a PvP is a much more doable feat nowadays than ever. If you can manage that, that's one 4* every 2.5 days.

However, there are 7 4* characters and that number will surely rise. That means at most you will probably only get 1 cover for any particular 4* per season, 13 seasons to complete a 4*

By this logic.. it would take 13 seasons to complete thirteen 4*s. And that's pretty darn good in itself imo.

And that's IF you have thirteen four stars available to spread out the rewards.
    And that's IF you don't run into a single 4 * in your daily rewards.
    And that's IF you don't get a lucky pull on one (which is increasing soon)
    And that's IF you don't win a 4* in placement.
    And that's IF you aren't able to cash in on the deadpool vault system for a 4* even once.

You'll have a FULL SET of 4* characters in 13 months or less.
  • In case you play top 2 PvE, you would also earn 3 4-stars every 2 weeks (if they keep doing the 3-4-7 day rotation).
    You can earn 4-stars in PvP off-season as well, so if 2.5 days per 4-star, you can get about 11.2 + 1(alliance) every 4 weeks
    For a new release you could earn 3+1(alliance), the extra covers would make up for the time in makes into regular PvP rotation.

In a 4 week period, you could earn 6 from PvE and 12.2 from PvP, for a total of 17 4-star covers or ~4.5 per week. If there are 10 4-stars including Carnage, the 130 covers divided by 4.5 per week means you could have 13 covers by ~29 weeks, or about 7 months.

Of course this applies to very few of us, but for the high-end players, the 4-star transition speed is quite decent.
  • Davyx wrote:
    applies to very few of us, but for the high-end players, the 4-star transition speed is quite decent.

yessir/yes'am
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    So for some reason D3 limited Carnage to a 3.2% boosted draw. Prof X, Kingpin and Hulkbuster had 5.5% boosted draws which let me get 1 cover for every $100 I threw at it; but statistically I should have gotten at least two. I've dropped $200 on Carnage and got _zero_ 4* covers from it. That's just terrible -- that's a lot of money for NOTHING. With 84 draws, statistically I should have 2-3 Carnage covers with 3.2%. I'm always drawing short of the stated statistics. I'm kinda mad because after about $1620 now, I have had one 42x draw (out of 15) give me the correct amount of 3* or better as advertised. Already the prices have been ridiculous and when you pony up, you still get dirt, regret, and anger at the game you are trying to love.

I did earn his green cover from top 50 personal placement. That was a ton of work, but that's his weakest power.

I'm going to attempt to get 1K in his PvP event, but I've never gotten 1K before.
  • Here's my view on this topic: PvP is to 4* as DDQ is to 3*. In DDQ, if you don't have a solid 2* roster, it is nearly impossible to attain a 3* cover. Once you get your 2* roster, you might struggle sometimes, but you should be able to get a 3* cover everyday. In PvP, If you don't have a solid 3* roster, you will likely not get to 1k for that 4* cover (but you can probably hit 800 for the 3*). If you have a solid 3* roster, you might struggle sometimes, but you should be able to get a 4* cover every event. In PvP, there is added strategy because of shielding and other players. I think the new scoring system is a part of the 3* -> 4* transition that the devs want.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    So for some reason D3 limited Carnage to a 3.2% boosted draw. Prof X, Kingpin and Hulkbuster had 5.5% boosted draws which let me get 1 cover for every $100 I threw at it; but statistically I should have gotten at least two. I've dropped $200 on Carnage and got _zero_ 4* covers from it. That's just terrible -- that's a lot of money for NOTHING. With 84 draws, statistically I should have 2-3 Carnage covers with 3.2%. I'm always drawing short of the stated statistics. I'm kinda mad because after about $1620 now, I have had one 42x draw (out of 15) give me the correct amount of 3* or better as advertised. Already the prices have been ridiculous and when you pony up, you still get dirt, regret, and anger at the game you are trying to love.

I did earn his green cover from top 50 personal placement. That was a ton of work, but that's his weakest power.

I'm going to attempt to get 1K in his PvP event, but I've never gotten 1K before.

It sure sucks that you got poor luck from draws.

But the draw rates and prices are clearly listed for each pack. Can you really complain about buying a lottery ticket and not winning?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as the now permanent random PvP boosts exist, 3* will continue to dominate and 4* are just playable trophies. So the key is to begin fully leveling your 3*'s knowing they are the key. Unless you spend $ you will always be chasing something, so max what you have and find some cool combos when they are buffed
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    As long as the now permanent random PvP boosts exist, 3* will continue to dominate and 4* are just playable trophies. So the key is to begin fully leveling your 3*'s knowing they are the key. Unless you spend $ you will always be chasing something, so max what you have and find some cool combos when they are buffed

Trophy is a little strong.

High-level 4* (at least the good ones) are usable in any PvP, whereas a vast majority of 3* are only usable when boosted. Still agree completely that 3* is the focus, but once you have the key guys maxed, IMO it's better to dump iso into a valuable 4* than 2-3 situational usage 3*.