Who are the real top tier 3 stars for pvp?

13»

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shulkie is surely better than when she was released, but not a ton. Without boosting, I'd say she's just making it past the Don't Bother tier.

Green is hands-down her best ability, and when it works, it works like crazy. However I have had way too many matches where she takes frickin' Team-Up AP instead of...well, anything else. Makes a man grind his teeth, it does.

Red is decent but nothing to write home about. Most people would agree that getting more damage into a single target is superior to less damage into a team. Moreover, it's not all that much damage. Against Call the Storm, Rage of the Panther, or Embiggened Bash (my god, I hate that name so much) it looks pretty ****. That board shake kinda makes up for it, but not enough to make her a truly attractive option.

Blue is a soup sandwich. It's conditional upon having special tiles on the board. That's not so bad in and of itself, but of course they have to be worth stealing in the first place. It's 9 AP to steal 2 tiles. That's it. Frickin' TWO tiles. And if there are only two enemy tiles? She steals one! ONE! This is a three star character we're talking about, and as many have mentioned elsewhere her power is actually worse than Moonstone's power. Seriously!

What you end up with is a pretty poor performer whose best power is somewhat unreliable, whose only damaging power is thoroughly mediocre, and whose third power is borderline useless. Sorry, but Shulkie pretty much sucks.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im interested in what people think of she hulk since shes been changed.i see a lot more of her nowadays even at high end play.could be top tier.

Overall, she's bottom tier.

That said, she excels defensively as the only primary green user, because of the AP drain and high health.

A combo I use a bunch is She-Hulk/Cage is 5 active colors and annoying to boot. It works quite nicely if you then add a primary damage dealer with no active green. IMHB is an obvious one, but Fury, 4Thor, Cyclops, even Mystique/Doom (which also give better blue + finish rainbow) are all surprisingly effective.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    She hulk will be put in the relevant spot then.thx for the input guys and thx for savin me some hp I was considering using for her:)
  • jimstarooney
    I have to say now I have kamala 355 she is top 3 star for me.shes great at taking squishys out and I cant think of another 3 star thats as capable as her that last man standing could take an entire team out.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Iron Fist, Cyclops, and Thor. All 3 offer damage to ap or ap production that is not properly balanced (imo). Here is my character guide where I list them out and why:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30187&p=376839#p376839

I can't figure out why anyone would think She-Hulk is bad unless they build her wrong. 5 in green pretty much ends the game when you get 12 ap. How many characters can do that? I listed her 5th out of all the characters because of that. I can win virtually any battle if I include her in my team and play smart.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Right here goes...
    TOP TIER (PRIORITY, YOU WANT TO BUILD YOUR TEAM ROUND THESE)
    Scarlet Witch
    Iron Fist
    Kamala
    Hood
    Lthor
    Cmags
    Blade

Deadpool
    Luke Cage
    Cyclops
    GREAT(UNDERESTIMATE THESE GUYS AND THEY WILL PUNISH YOU)
    Panther
    Squirrel girl
    Loki
    Daken
    Hulk
    LCap
    Rocket and Groot
    Torch
    Patch**
    Dr Doom
    Mystique (her correct place)
    USEFUL(HAVE A PURPOSE,AND IN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES CAN OCCASIONALLY BE GREAT)
    Sentry
    Colossus
    Gamora
    Storm
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Psylocke
    Spidey
    Widow
    Ms marvel
    Falcon
    QQuicksilver
    Punisher
    Beast
    SHE HULK *While I don't like her, many of my team mates swear by her, I'd put her here, rather than useless** Certainly better than Beast
    BAD(DONT BOTHER)

RAGNAROK
    Doc Oc
    Bullseye
    Vision

JURYS OUT(EITHER I DONT HAVE ENOUGH COVERS,OR I THREW THEM AWAY AND THEY HAVE BEEN RE-DONE/STILL SUCK
    Jury's in. they still suck

Hey, just corrected a few.

BP is overestimated by a bit. He's good, but not GREAT. He has one excellent power, and one that's quite decent. I'd pick KK and LThor over him any day. You also underestimated Mystique, who is actually a very good character - perhaps not top tier, but VERY good.

CMags, Blade, and DP should be top tier. They are excellent if you use them well. Pair DP with KK and you're golden.

Other than that, I agree. Luke Cage is an all around excellent character, no matter the build. Cyclops is great too, and fills a similar purpose on my team, so I use him when LC dies. My IF isn't built enough to be useful yet, so I don't know. Ditto with Scarlet Witch

I am on the fence with Patch. Let me be clear, I LOVE PATCH. He is amazing. He was literally on EVERY team I used for months once I got him leveled. He saved me from spending on health packs so many times, and even now is a regular go to guy. Prior to the health buff for other characters (translation = health nerf for patch, hood, loki, daken), I would have said he is top tier without a question. He is still useful, and I think tends to get underestimated, but he is no longer top tier when LC or Cyclops can take him out in a single attack.

Anyways, hope that helped.
  • jimstarooney
    san-mpq wrote:
    Right here goes...
    TOP TIER (PRIORITY, YOU WANT TO BUILD YOUR TEAM ROUND THESE)
    Scarlet Witch
    Iron Fist
    Kamala
    Hood
    Lthor
    Cmags
    Blade

Deadpool
    Luke Cage
    Cyclops
    GREAT(UNDERESTIMATE THESE GUYS AND THEY WILL PUNISH YOU)
    Panther
    Squirrel girl
    Loki
    Daken
    Hulk
    LCap
    Rocket and Groot
    Torch
    Patch**
    Dr Doom
    Mystique (her correct place)
    USEFUL(HAVE A PURPOSE,AND IN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES CAN OCCASIONALLY BE GREAT)
    Sentry
    Colossus
    Gamora
    Storm
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Psylocke
    Spidey
    Widow
    Ms marvel
    Falcon
    QQuicksilver
    Punisher
    Beast
    SHE HULK *While I don't like her, many of my team mates swear by her, I'd put her here, rather than useless** Certainly better than Beast
    BAD(DONT BOTHER)

RAGNAROK
    Doc Oc
    Bullseye
    Vision

JURYS OUT(EITHER I DONT HAVE ENOUGH COVERS,OR I THREW THEM AWAY AND THEY HAVE BEEN RE-DONE/STILL SUCK
    Jury's in. they still suck

Hey, just corrected a few.

BP is overestimated by a bit. He's good, but not GREAT. He has one excellent power, and one that's quite decent. I'd pick KK and LThor over him any day. You also underestimated Mystique, who is actually a very good character - perhaps not top tier, but VERY good.

CMags, Blade, and DP should be top tier. They are excellent if you use them well. Pair DP with KK and you're golden.

Other than that, I agree. Luke Cage is an all around excellent character, no matter the build. Cyclops is great too, and fills a similar purpose on my team, so I use him when LC dies. My IF isn't built enough to be useful yet, so I don't know. Ditto with Scarlet Witch

I am on the fence with Patch. Let me be clear, I LOVE PATCH. He is amazing. He was literally on EVERY team I used for months once I got him leveled. He saved me from spending on health packs so many times, and even now is a regular go to guy. Prior to the health buff for other characters (translation = health nerf for patch, hood, loki, daken), I would have said he is top tier without a question. He is still useful, and I think tends to get underestimated, but he is no longer top tier when LC or Cyclops can take him out in a single attack.

Anyways, hope that helped.
    I kinda agree with you about panther but the reason cmags isnt top tier (and deadpool) is they only have 2 great abilities.blade isnt hard to fight against kinda easy actually so I dont think hes top tier at all but I respect your opinion even if I dont agree with it.panther will be moved though.
  • jimstarooney
    traedoril wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    as for the original question (i.e. for pvp), I would say:

Top Tier(Probably should not be left out if they are healthy becuase they are some combination of fast, damaging, or great scarecrows):
    Cage
    Cyclops
    Iron Fist
    Khan

Very Good Tier (usually worth bringing along if they fit on your team):
    Lazy Thor
    Loki
    Hood
    Patch (provided the team has some strategy to deal with berserker rage)
    Doom
    Blade
    Black Panther
    cMags

Good Tier (useable when boosted, or agaisnt very specific opponents):
    Daken
    Deadpool
    R&G
    Gamora
    Cap Marvel
    Hulk
    Lazy Cap
    She Hulk
    psylocke
    punisher
    MoStorm
    Squirrel Girl
    mystique
    Torch
    Falcon
    GSBW (except when running prof. x)
    IM40
    daredevil

Bad Tier (probably not worth the effort):
    Beast
    Rags
    Quick Silver
    Vision

Caveat Tier (don't have them well enough covered to know if she is great):
    Scarlet Witch
    doc oc
    bullseye

and I probably forgot a few too.

I am a huge fan of Doc Ock at 5/5/3. All of the recent character releases have some sort of special tile that triggers Ock's black (He is down right cruel with carnage) and his blue causes cascades plus wipes out a ton of the enemies special tiles. For teams with ProfX, Carnage, MStorm, Daken, Blade, etc.. he absolutely destroys those teams. I would put him in the Good tier for most teams and great against ProfX/Carnage
    Doc oc moved
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor

As far as team structure goes...

Blade+Daken is a phenomenally lethal two-man combination that means several hundreds of match damage almost automatically, plus Keep Your Enemies Closer throws on another 2k+ per round, and Daken can tank both black and purple for Blade.

And Beast slots in JUUUST fine with Blade and Daken. No one gets redtile.png use, and that's fine. You want it that way. Beast gets use of the greentile.png AP that Daken converts into strike tiles. And because both Beast and Daken's blueflag.png abilities are 6 and 5 per, so there's no "I use x guy and disregard Y guy this fight".

Daken left, Beast center, Blade right. No ability costs more than 10. You get some defense tiles, attack tiles, AP drain, light heal, AOE, board destruction, blue-green tile conversion, and a LOT of free or cheap strike.png tiles.

Regarding Beast's blue vs Groot's blue. I choose where I put my timer tile, and wait two turns and get 1k more damage, or I use 12 bluetile.png AP, wait one turn, and get 6 bonus tiles at a very respectable strength. When paired with Blade and Daken, they don't need to be Groot strong. This group is all about speed.

Mutagenic Breakthrough - Cost: 6 Blue AP
    Hank’s genetic experiments can have unpredictable results. Creates a 3-turn Blue Countdown tile that converts 2 random Blue basic tiles into strength 44 Strike, Protect or Attack tiles.
    Level 2. Creates a 2-turn Countdown tile.
    Level 3. Creates strength 51 Special tiles.
    Level 4. Creates a 1-turn Countdown tile and strength 55 Special tiles.
    Level 5. Creates 3 Special tiles.
    Max Level: Creates 3 Special tiles of strength 174.

I Got A Plan - 11 Blue bluetile.png
    Rocket builds a ridiculously awesome weapon out of scraps. Place a 3-turn countdown tile on any basic tile. When his designs come to fruition, this countdown transforms 2 random basic blue tiles into strength 55 Strike tiles.
    Level 2: Rocket makes strength 66 Strike Tiles.
    Level 3: Rocket makes 3 strike tiles.
    Level 4: Max: 2-turn countdown, turn 3 bluetile.png into strength 244 Strike tiles.
    Level 5: Max: Turn 4 bluetile.png into strength 261 Strike tiles.
    Max Level: Turn 4 bluetile.png into strength 261 Strike tiles.
  • jimstarooney
    Dauthi wrote:
    Iron Fist, Cyclops, and Thor. All 3 offer damage to ap or ap production that is not properly balanced (imo). Here is my character guide where I list them out and why:

I can't figure out why anyone would think She-Hulk is bad unless they build her wrong. 5 in green pretty much ends the game when you get 12 ap. How many characters can do that? I listed her 5th out of all the characters because of that. I can win virtually any battle if I include her in my team and play smart.
    I took a look at your guide, very well done but I cant believe you have blade above kamala, im speechless!
  • jimstarooney
    ronin-san wrote:

As far as team structure goes...

Blade+Daken is a phenomenally lethal two-man combination that means several hundreds of match damage almost automatically, plus Keep Your Enemies Closer throws on another 2k+ per round, and Daken can tank both black and purple for Blade.

And Beast slots in JUUUST fine with Blade and Daken. No one gets redtile.png use, and that's fine. You want it that way. Beast gets use of the greentile.png AP that Daken converts into strike tiles. And because both Beast and Daken's blueflag.png abilities are 6 and 5 per, so there's no "I use x guy and disregard Y guy this fight".

Daken left, Beast center, Blade right. No ability costs more than 10. You get some defense tiles, attack tiles, AP drain, light heal, AOE, board destruction, blue-green tile conversion, and a LOT of free or cheap strike.png tiles.

Regarding Beast's blue vs Groot's blue. I choose where I put my timer tile, and wait two turns and get 1k more damage, or I use 12 bluetile.png AP, wait one turn, and get 6 bonus tiles at a very respectable strength. When paired with Blade and Daken, they don't need to be Groot strong. This group is all about speed.

Hank’s genetic experiments can have unpredictable results. Creates a 3-turn Blue Countdown tile that converts 2 random Blue basic tiles into strength 44 Strike, Protect or Attack tiles.

Rocket builds a ridiculously awesome weapon out of scraps. Place a 3-turn countdown tile on any basic tile. When his designs come to fruition, this countdown transforms 2 random basic blue tiles into strength 55 Strike tiles.
    Level 4: Max: 2-turn countdown, turn 3 bluetile.png into strength 244 Strike tiles.
    Blade and daken together are deadly no qyestion about it.but neither imo are top tier on their own
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:

I think you're overlooking or omitting one very critical piece of information regarding Beast and it's especially relevant in direction comparison to Rocket & Groot. Sure the performance is roughly comparable for AP versus raw output, but R&G get strike tiles and strike tiles only. Those tiny painted swords (C WAT I DID THAR!) are one of the most powerful elements in the game. Beast gets strike or attack or protect tiles. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that the consistency alone is what puts I Got A Plan head-and-shoulders above Mutagenic Breakthrough. You also don't need to play the game very long to figure out that protect tiles pretty much suck unless they are crazy powerful, and Beast's are not crazy powerful.

Speed doesn't matter much when that speed gets you very low performance. It's the same reason why Psylocke and Punisher have fallen by the wayside, why Gamora is unimpressive, and why Daken is only mediocre. Beast is an awful character.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    ddvrom wrote:
    Patch/Daredevil are also really useful. Throw a Berserker rage- 2Kish damage, then radar sense for another 4-5K, and now you have a ton of big strike tiles and (almost) no opposing ones to just wail on people. I use them with Black Panther in the DDQ 3* cover all the time- those 2 plus a RotP will knock out the active characters in a second and Daredevil's stun can help make sure nobody gets touched.

You just described my main strategy lol. Only I often switch out BP with Cage. That yellow is a great one shotter,and black for sniping.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Dauthi wrote:

I took a look at your guide, very well done but I cant believe you have blade above kamala, im speechless!

There are only a few characters who have killed me single-handedly, and one is Blade. His purple is no joke, and if it gets stuck in a corner you can't reach, you might as well kiss that game goodbye. That purple is a game ender. The same goes for his black, it gets stuck in a spot you can't reach and have fun handing over your strongest color every turn, just pray the other team doesn't need it (but chances are they will). With an unlucky board where there is too much red you can't match he can put the hurt on you passively, and there is nothing you can do.

He is a huge threat, and if anyone hasn't had trouble fighting him, they must have gotten pretty lucky because with bad luck all 3 of his skills can rip your team apart. He is like a tougher Hood in that respect, where the battle can go surprisingly easy, or downhill fast.

He is also an MVP in survival nodes. Get his purple down and the entire survival node is done because you are pumping out 2k (or more) damage a turn. With Daken, Blade and Falcon I don't even have to pay attention to what I'm doing really in a survival node other than avoid red ap icon_e_wink.gif

I want to do more testing with Kamala, but the problem I have with her is the same with all AOE based characters, if an enemy is dead before you can launch your AOE you lose 1/3 of your damage. If you are up against one enemy you lose 2/3s of her damage. I think where she really comes through is her yellow. With good team synergy it can be a huge advantage. My list is based on how useful a character will be to a new player who won't have the benefit of synergy (because they only have a few characters).
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    El Satanno wrote:
    I think you're overlooking or omitting one very critical piece of information regarding Beast and it's especially relevant in direction comparison to Rocket & Groot. Sure the performance is roughly comparable for AP versus raw output, but R&G get strike tiles and strike tiles only. Those tiny painted swords (C WAT I DID THAR!) are one of the most powerful elements in the game. Beast gets strike or attack or protect tiles. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that the consistency alone is what puts I Got A Plan head-and-shoulders above Mutagenic Breakthrough. You also don't need to play the game very long to figure out that protect tiles pretty much suck unless they are crazy powerful, and Beast's are not crazy powerful.

Speed doesn't matter much when that speed gets you very low performance. It's the same reason why Psylocke and Punisher have fallen by the wayside, why Gamora is unimpressive, and why Daken is only mediocre. Beast is an awful character.

I'm not arguing the frequency of strike tiles from Beast. Because that's irrelevant. YOU WANT Beast to generate attack.png tiles. Daken won't melt those.

When both Daken and Blade make strike tiles, an attack tile gets the strike tile bonuses from ALL of the strike.png tiles on the board.

So do the math. 9 strike.png tiles at 45 damage(9 on the board) means 405 damage plus Beast's attack.png tile. So Beast's one attack.png tile is dealing 550 per turn. Then Factor in Blade's attack.png tile damage. So you're doing a modest 2500 per turn after you do your ability, match damage, etc....

I'm not arguing that Beast is top tier. He's not. I'm saying the capacity for havoc with his blueflag.png is drastically underestimated, when paired with Blade and Daken. And because it allows his green to go from 1200 to 2k per turn, all those strike tiles just let you deal 2500 all for 9 green AP and 6 blue AP spent.

That's bordering on Kamala efficient. Give it a run, man. You'll see what I'm talking about. Go try it in the sandbox using the Steam client.