Who are the real top tier 3 stars for pvp?

jimstarooney
jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Off the top of my head cyc kamala and wanda these 3 I think are the top of the top tier, the new breed of 3 stars.cage Fist Lthor too.hood is and isnt because of his widespread availability nowadays.every1 has one and all u have to do to beat him is bring your own (same could be said for Lthor).

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I maxed the best "old" ones first: Thor, Hood, Loki. Hulk, Patch together, BP, Daken for annoyance. It shows you they were great considering most of those (Hulk, Patch, Daken, Loki, Hood) were the only ones not to get health boosts when all the other characters did. Several new ones are up there: IF likely best overall now, Cage/Cyc/KK all great as well. In sim I currently run Thor/DP/Hood, but when I get the right covers and ISO it will be SW/IF/Cage.

Check out the pinned character rankings post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29852
    I don't agree with all of them (Cap/Blade are great in PVE, less so in PVP), but you'll get a good overall idea there.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    Iron Fist is #1
    then
    The Hood
    Loki
    Captain America with Hood in PVE
    Kamala Khan
    Cyclops
    Scarlet Witch
  • jimstarooney
    Im gonna change it to pvp as I hardly ever play pve only for iso or to grind a cover I really want/need.im also gonna split them into top tier/great/useful and bad when I have time as I think this will help newer players that are looking to lvl up characters but are not sure which to start with.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 3* simulator team is IF, Cage, Cyclops. It is fast has 3 big nukes and IF kills any Hood/Loki, as well as accelerates black.
    Once I get SW covered I will mess around with her with DP, but from a health standpoint it feels light. SW is really great with Profesor X since her blue will get a lot of critical tiles. Syou put her with Profesor X and GSBW and once you get her CD to go off it is Game over.

For 3* only I would pair her with KK and Luke Cage. Purple to green to killing time.

I only use Hood sparingly now for high level PVE nodes where I really need to deny AP at all cost.
  • jimstarooney
    edited June 2015
    Right here goes...
    TOP TIER (PRIORITY, YOU WANT TO BUILD YOUR TEAM ROUND THESE)
    Scarlet Witch
    Iron Fist
    Kamala
    Hood
    Lthor
    Luke Cage
    Cyclops
    GREAT(UNDERESTIMATE THESE GUYS AND THEY WILL PUNISH YOU)
    Panther
    Squirrel girl
    Loki
    Cmags
    Blade
    Daken
    Hulk
    Deadpool
    LCap
    Rocket and Groot
    Torch
    Patch
    Dr Doom
    USEFUL(HAVE A PURPOSE,AND IN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES CAN OCCASIONALLY BE GREAT)
    Mystique
    Sentry
    Colossus
    Gamora
    Storm
    Daredevil
    Iron Man
    Psylocke
    Spidey
    Widow
    Ms marvel
    Falcon
    QQuicksilver
    Punisher
    Beast
    Doc oc
    BAD(DONT BOTHER)

RAGNAROK
    SHE HULK
    JURYS OUT(EITHER I DONT HAVE ENOUGH COVERS,OR I THREW THEM AWAY AND THEY HAVE BEEN RE-DONE/STILL SUCK

Bullseye
    Vision
  • Why is Scarlet Witch so highly praised? I find her useful but must be missing something.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is Scarlet Witch so highly praised? I find her useful but must be missing something.
    Her blue can auto-crit into PX's Blue. Not only that, it gives him AP to activate his Purple. He can then boost special tiles like nobody's business. Highly effective. Also accelerates GSBW quite a bit (who is also currently buffed dealing over 5k per sniper rifle at 240). Kingpin gives people the strong fingering. Basically, she kick starts a lot of characters who need purple to get started.
  • jimstarooney
    My sim team is cyc/kk/sw.i can go to bed knowing that i wont have lost many pts when i wake up.i levelled doom up to max to make blacks for cyc but funnily enough with all the mega cascades going on i can get blacks up faster with this team.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd also say Doom is a lot more than just useful. His purple will REALLY hurt you if you let him get down enough traps. He creates blacks and also throws down attack tiles for fun.
  • jimstarooney
    I'd also say Doom is a lot more than just useful. His purple will REALLY hurt you if you let him get down enough traps. He creates blacks and also throws down attack tiles for fun.
    all valid pts tbh i mainly saw him as a black generator that was situational at best,moved to the great section
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    all valid pts tbh i mainly saw him as a black generator that was situational at best,moved to the great section

I'd agree with that. He's not a top tier 3*, but he definitely belongs in the tier down from that.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO:

In current PvP, there are very few strong enough to warrant consideration when they're not boosted. 3Thor, Fist, Cage. That's really the list. Even GSBW/Scarlet, while amazing with ProfX, are effectively cannon fodder on defense, so they can't be considered true top tier.

For shield simulator, where there aren't boosts, the list opens a bit. That's where you have Hood, Loki, Cyclops, Kamala, and a couple more depending on taste.
  • jimstarooney
    IMO:

In current PvP, there are very few strong enough to warrant consideration when they're not boosted. 3Thor, Fist, Cage. That's really the list. Even GSBW/Scarlet, while amazing with ProfX, are effectively cannon fodder on defense, so they can't be considered true top tier.

For shield simulator, where there aren't boosts, the list opens a bit. That's where you have Hood, Loki, Cyclops, Kamala, and a couple more depending on taste.
    I was umming and aahing over loki he has better health than hood and against ai can be tricked into giving ap back but i feel hes not quite there,i would rather take hood in especially against high lvl opponents that dont have one.same for cmags he has two great powers and if he had a 3rd would definitely be top tier.so almost for me but not quite.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO:

I was umming and aahing over loki he has better health than hood and against ai can be tricked into giving ap back but i feel hes not quite there,i would rather take hood in especially against high lvl opponents that dont have one.same for cmags he has two great powers and if he had a 3rd would definitely be top tier.so almost for me but not quite.

I think loki is significantly under-rated relative to hood because hood has always been awesome while loki's value only took off when they released his green power in what, january '15?

Loki's ap theft is arguably more controllable than hood (since the ai will always take a match-4 if available), and it also provides insurance against brutal enemy cascades, which hood doesn't

It's true that hood has a nuke and loki doesnt, but loki has more health, destroys any enemy team that relies on strike or protect tiles, AND has a low cost purple that is wildly good. I think he is basically as good as hood, and the only way to choose between them is based on enemy team and color coverage.

as for the original question (i.e. for pvp), I would say:

Top Tier(Probably should not be left out if they are healthy becuase they are some combination of fast, damaging, or great scarecrows):
    Cage
    Cyclops
    Iron Fist
    Khan

Very Good Tier (usually worth bringing along if they fit on your team):
    Lazy Thor
    Loki
    Hood
    Patch (provided the team has some strategy to deal with berserker rage)
    Doom
    Blade
    Black Panther
    cMags

Good Tier (useable when boosted, or agaisnt very specific opponents):
    Daken
    Deadpool
    R&G
    Gamora
    Cap Marvel
    Hulk
    Lazy Cap
    She Hulk
    psylocke
    punisher
    MoStorm
    Squirrel Girl
    mystique
    Torch
    Falcon
    GSBW (except when running prof. x)
    IM40
    daredevil

Bad Tier (probably not worth the effort):
    Beast
    Rags
    Quick Silver
    Vision

Caveat Tier (don't have them well enough covered to know if she is great):
    Scarlet Witch
    doc oc
    bullseye

and I probably forgot a few too.
  • jimstarooney
    imcoin.png
    Vhailorx wrote:
    IMO:

I think loki is significantly under-rated relative to hood because hood has always been awesome while loki's value only took off when they released his green power in what, january '15?

Loki's ap theft is arguably more controllable than hood (since the ai will always take a match-4 if available), and it also provides insurance against brutal enemy cascades, which hood doesn't

It's true that hood has a nuke and loki doesnt, but loki has more health, destroys any enemy team that relies on strike or protect tiles, AND has a low cost purple that is wildly good. I think he is basically as good as hood, and the only way to choose between them is based on enemy team and color coverage.

Top Tier(Probably should not be left out if they are healthy becuase they are some combination of fast, damaging, or great scarecrows):
    Cage
    Cyclops
    Iron Fist
    Khan

Lazy Thor
    Loki
    Hood
    Doom
    Blade
    Black Panther
    cMags

Daken
    Deadpool
    R&G
    Gamora
    Cap Marvel
    Hulk
    Lazy Cap
    She Hulk
    psylocke
    punisher
    MoStorm
    Squirrel Girl
    mystique
    Torch
    Falcon
    IM40
    daredevil

Beast
    Rags
    Quick Silver
    Vision

Scarlet Witch
    doc oc
    bullseye

loki is fairly easy to beat though and if i have a hood any ap loki earns can be sucked back off him
    .and lthor is top tier no question he has 2 powerful moves one feeds the other and his red very occasionally feeds his yellow and is fairly low ap.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daredevil, Cyclops, 3* Bullseye make for a monstrous deadly combo. Get some trap tiles out, then cyclops can wipe entire teams with good placement and cascades of mutant revolutionary. Bullseye for active purple and green when needed.

This team is wreaking havoc in shield sim (takes a few turns to get going), even got me some defensive wins. No black covers for my bullseye though, that would be fun.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    While Loki is easy to beat since he lacks fire power, he has 3 things going for him:

1) his 5 AP Illusion can really mess up your plan. It's not uncommon to find Loki getting many AP for his heavy-hitting friends after an Illusion cast.

2) his passive Mischief can really slow down shield-hops when time is of the essence. The frustration of not able to do match-4s or match-5s during a shield hop cannot be overstated.

3) he has slightly more health than Hood that you can't one-shot him from full health easily.
  • Vhailorx wrote:

Cage
    Cyclops
    Iron Fist
    Khan

Lazy Thor
    Loki
    Hood
    Doom
    Blade
    Black Panther
    cMags

Daken
    Deadpool
    R&G
    Gamora
    Cap Marvel
    Hulk
    Lazy Cap
    She Hulk
    psylocke
    punisher
    MoStorm
    Squirrel Girl
    mystique
    Torch
    Falcon
    IM40
    daredevil

Beast
    Rags
    Quick Silver
    Vision

Scarlet Witch
    doc oc
    bullseye

I am a huge fan of Doc Ock at 5/5/3. All of the recent character releases have some sort of special tile that triggers Ock's black (He is down right cruel with carnage) and his blue causes cascades plus wipes out a ton of the enemies special tiles. For teams with ProfX, Carnage, MStorm, Daken, Blade, etc.. he absolutely destroys those teams. I would put him in the Good tier for most teams and great against ProfX/Carnage
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm gonna have to slow you guys up a bit. I keep seeing Rags, Beast, Vision, and Quicksilver bashing

Quicksilver by himself is bad but with the right team PX/IF you have infinite turn.

Rags, yeah he's hurting although works okay with Xforce and QS

Vision is not bad, he's just required to be fully leveled and maxed and tanking. If you've had the privilege of eating a Loki Illusions cascade with Visions blue out you haven't lived

Beast is not bad at all, he's R&G light, he's quicker, more damaging but less resilient I mean Beast's green can blow up the board and do 2K AoE. R&G is just target. In addition while Beast's blue is at best Half as good as R&G's blue it's also twice as fast to cast and twice as fast to resolve

Rags, IM40, Spidey are probably your bot tier and probably QS since by himself he's not good
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Real top tier 3* in pvp is anyone who is boosted that week. Only ones who can be seen outside of them are lthor, cage and if. The situation is different for simulator, where kk, sw, cyke, loki and hood can be seen as well.