Please remove the 10 health packs

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:
    How do some people not understand that he is NOT COMPLAINING about the 10 health packs vs 5? The multiple comments about 10 making life easier totally miss the point. The OP is just saying they should have waited in order to have better data from the no community scaling PVEs.
    Starting with Prodigal Sun, they're going to be running events with no scaling and then events with scaling. Waiting an extra day for the carnage event to end won't impact that data at all.

Listen, I'm trying to grind this **** against a lv355 Hood and Juggs. The chances of a wipe are pretty damn high. The last thing I'm going to do is complain that I have more health packs now. This is like the first time in forever that the devs have tossed me a bone.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    simonsez wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    How do some people not understand that he is NOT COMPLAINING about the 10 health packs vs 5? The multiple comments about 10 making life easier totally miss the point. The OP is just saying they should have waited in order to have better data from the no community scaling PVEs.
    Starting with Prodigal Sun, they're going to be running events with no scaling and then events with scaling. Waiting an extra day for the carnage event to end won't impact that data at all.

Listen, I'm trying to grind this **** against a lv355 Hood and Juggs. The chances of a wipe are pretty damn high. The last thing I'm going to do is complain that I have more health packs now. This is like the first time in forever that the devs have tossed me a bone.

They may have tossed you (and me, and everyone else) a bone. And I am happy about having more HP.

The question is what are they comparing the data from the Prodigal Sun run with 10 HP against? Are they looking back at previous runs.....which had 5 HP? Or are they going to compare against future runs that ALSO have 10 HP? Seems to me, the easiest/fastest thing would have been to hold off on the 10 HP until after the experiment.

(putting aside that they seem to have completely botched their run by offering Beast as the reward.....unless we get Prodigal Sun AGAIN with Beast AGAIN but using community scaling.....which in itself is messed up as more people would have obtained the "desired" Beast covers......)
  • simonsez
    MarvelMan wrote:
    The question is what are they comparing the data from the Prodigal Sun run with 10 HP against?
    The PvE after that, which will have scaling turned back on. And I assume they'll continue alternating until they feel they have enough data.
  • May not be a popular response, but the 10 health packs works for me. I like playing bith PvE and PvP and this allows me to use better teams for both events. I don't mind losing quite so much now!

Sure, Carnage is tough, and our alliance has been edged out of the too 100 just since today, but such is life. It would me over a year to max him anyway. The additional health packs has taken a step towards making the game enjoyable again.
  • MarvelMan
    simonsez wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    The question is what are they comparing the data from the Prodigal Sun run with 10 HP against?
    The PvE after that, which will have scaling turned back on. And I assume they'll continue alternating until they feel they have enough data.

Then why not, as the OP suggests, wait til after the first no community scaling PVE to implement the 10 HPs? Say, run a 3 day with a break to implement it followed by another 3 day to keep them on schedule? Plus, it would have avoided overlapping with the end of a 7 day for a new 4*.....
  • plz dont remove 10 health packs, OP is like that other person who wanted Deadpool daily to end
  • Because, the community scaling is an experiment.
    The 10 Health Packs is not.

So, seeing as the 10 Health Packs is permanent, they added them first, just like any other bug fix/feature, as there's not testing needed.

Then they're running the comm-scale off for several events, to create a sample size, then running comm-scale on for several events against a probably equal sample size. They compare the results, and determine if Comm-Scale continues or not.

Where as, if they waited, they'd have to do the testing twice, once with 5 health packs on/off, then again with 10 health packs on/off. This is just redundant if they've already made the decision that 10 health packs is a permanent addition.

I'd imagine that is the case, or they'd have likely had a splash screen saying "enjoy double health pack week!" and use that as a testing ground to determine if it was permanent. Giving the 10 to people with no word and then removing it later, as part of a "test", would just cause terrible PR backlash.
  • MarvelMan
    raisinbman wrote:
    plz dont remove 10 health packs, OP is like that other person who wanted Deadpool daily to end

Maybe the title should change, but its not about PERMANENTLY removing them, its about delaying them to get better data.
  • MarvelMan
    Haetron wrote:
    Because, the community scaling is an experiment.
    The 10 Health Packs is not.

So, seeing as the 10 Health Packs is permanent, they added them first, just like any other bug fix/feature, as there's not testing needed.

Then they're running the comm-scale off for several events, to create a sample size, then running comm-scale on for several events against a probably equal sample size. They compare the results, and determine if Comm-Scale continues or not.

Where as, if they waited, they'd have to do the testing twice, once with 5 health packs on/off, then again with 10 health packs on/off. This is just redundant if they've already made the decision that 10 health packs is a permanent addition.

I'd imagine that is the case, or they'd have likely had a splash screen saying "enjoy double health pack week!" and use that as a testing ground to determine if it was permanent. Giving the 10 to people with no word and then removing it later, as part of a "test", would just cause terrible PR backlash.

OR they could have delayed the HP implementation until after they had gathered data on the experiment. That would be one set of events (they already had the 5 hp com-scale on data) rather than have to run a new set of comm-scale on events, which will likely impact new char releases as well as other potential changes.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    plz dont remove 10 health packs, OP is like that other person who wanted Deadpool daily to end

Maybe the title should change, but its not about PERMANENTLY removing them, its about delaying them to get better data.
    it's a trap, if we remove them d3 will see how 'well we perform' without 10 health packs, just don't remove them
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Can't believe this is still being discussed. Iso8 Carnage Event ends in a couple of hours peeps. Already ended for me.
    Just Ignore the damn data collection. Getting something nice/useful mid-event shouldn't have to generate a discussion about having it delayed. And considering they're scheduling of pve and pvp, it'll always be mid event for someone somewhere.
  • simonsez
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Then why not, as the OP suggests, wait til after the first no community scaling PVE to implement the 10 HPs? Say, run a 3 day with a break to implement it followed by another 3 day to keep them on schedule? Plus, it would have avoided overlapping with the end of a 7 day for a new 4*.....
    You're still not giving a reason why it was a bad idea to implement it now. We've already established that it will have no impact on the scaling vs. no-scaling test, and overlapping PvE is the norm now and has nothing to do with this. Sounds like maybe you had a lead in ISO Brotherhood, and you didn't like the idea of the people behind you being able to grind longer.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    the 10 healthpack.png is a double edged sword.

I can play longer and score more however so can everyone else so I also get attacked more and find myself "making up points lost" way more than before.

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What they should have done is increased healthpack.png to 8 or so and put a cap on the number of pts you can lose during a match, which has been a requested addition for a very long time
  • mjh wrote:

I can play longer and score more however so can everyone else so I also get attacked more and find myself "making up points lost" way more than before.

What they should have done is increased healthpack.png to 8 or so and put a cap on the number of pts you can lose during a match, which has been a requested addition for a very long time
    I'm just glad they did anything. Last week's Hulk-in-every-match-PVP was such a turn off with 5 health packs. I've got PVE to attend to, y'know d3?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Guess, I should have checked on this sooner (but work, what you gonna do?).

I love the idea of 10 health packs. I think it gives more flexibility to players. I'm all for that. Not quite sure, why people would think otherwise unless they just read the title and made replies based on that. Meh. I've done that before. No biggie.

I also finally had time to go rewatch the q and a video. So I also understand why they did 10 health packs now instead of after the no community scaling pve. So basically, I wasted everyone's time with this thread. For that, I probably apologize.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:

This actually makes a lot of your previous posts finally make sense. I need to frame this somewhere to keep in mind when other people tell me about your posts.

I'll be honest, they say most are in the Character section, and I do not make there too often, so I have not gotten a chance to personally verify what they say, but now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
  • Guess, I should have checked on this sooner (but work, what you gonna do?).

I love the idea of 10 health packs. I think it gives more flexibility to players. I'm all for that. Not quite sure, why people would think otherwise unless they just read the title and made replies based on that. Meh. I've done that before. No biggie.

I also finally had time to go rewatch the q and a video. So I also understand why they did 10 health packs now instead of after the no community scaling pve. So basically, I wasted everyone's time with this thread. For that, I probably apologize.
    hey at least u watched the video lol
  • mjh wrote:

Bingo. That is it exactly. Can't say for sure if it's related too, but match points have been lower in general since the extra health packs started. Still higher than previous seasons, but definitely lower than the rest of the season.

Not a huge detrimental effect, but it's definitely affected things. Have to wait and see how it works with future changes, because I think we all know something bigger is still coming...
  • mjh wrote:

Bingo. That is it exactly. Can't say for sure if it's related too, but match points have been lower in general since the extra health packs started. Still higher than previous seasons, but definitely lower than the rest of the season.

Not a huge detrimental effect, but it's definitely affected things. Have to wait and see how it works with future changes, because I think we all know something bigger is still coming...
    I just finished PVP without getting attacked and had enough health packs for PVE, got more points than ever
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    Ok, great for you, but that could mean you just dropped in 500 and called it a day for all I know.

Let me assure you, up near the 1000 range, that is absolutely not happening for most people.