Please remove the 10 health packs

TheOncomingStorm
TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Could you please remove the 10 health packs until AFTER the no community scaling pve test?

I honestly don't know much about the data you will be viewing; however, if you will be comparing that data to previous pves, I would think you would prefer to limit the variables for that comparison.

The control group will not have 10 health packs in the bulk of its data; therfore, I would think 10 health packs creates an unnecessary variable in the test group.

Like I said, I have no knowledge how the test works, so please ignore me if my suggestion is totally off base.

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please wait for High Stakes to end first, please. PLEASE!

200_s.gif
  • TheOncomingStorm

200_s.gif

Allons-y!

Also, buffed blade should definitely be a blood bath. 10 packs won't be enough.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Oh good lord..... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker

not to mention the final grind for the carnage pve... i for one am appreciative for the extra health to deal with the overscaled goons d3 throws at us...
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could you please remove the 10 health packs until AFTER the no community scaling pve test?

I honestly don't know much about the data you will be viewing; however, if you will be comparing that data to previous pves, I would think you would prefer to limit the variables for that comparison.

The control group will not have 10 health packs in the bulk of its data; therfore, I would think 10 health packs creates an unnecessary variable in the test group.

Like I said, I have no knowledge how the test works, so please ignore me if my suggestion is totally off base.

As I understood it, what they're going to do is turn off community scaling for a couple events, then turning it back on, and comparing the data they get from the turned-off events to what comes after. I don't think they plan on comparing it to the data from before the test.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    DFiPL wrote:

As I understood it, what they're going to do is turn off community scaling for a couple events, then turning it back on, and comparing the data they get from the turned-off events to what comes after. I don't think they plan on comparing it to the data from before the test.

Now, I have to watch the video again. Le sigh. Hopefully, I have time at some point Friday to re-watch it.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

What would be the point of that, if not to compare it's impact in correlation to other events? The point was to see if it's "better" (and to make sure nothing "breaks").

Assuming that is the case, I agree 100% with OP here. You need a straight down the line comparison, without uncounted for variables.

I mentioned this briefly in a post a few minutes ago, but I'm afraid that the extra health packs will negatively affect the PvE experience to begin with, let alone without scaling to curb some of the more, uh, enthusiastic PvErs - making it more of a slog for everyone involved.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    I was hoping they would delay the health pack increase until after the current PVE has finished. I'm in a death bracket and now i have no choice but to grind down the nodes to 1 to have a chance of keeping my lead.

Other than that, i'm ok with the health pack increase. Like all things, it will take some getting used to. Maybe we'll see more players shifting to PVP instead of PVE?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

What would be the point of that, if not to compare it's impact in correlation to other events? The point was to see if it's "better" (and to make sure nothing "breaks").

Correct. But you can't determine "better" by comparing 5 health packs to 10 when you know a change to 10 health packs is coming. What would be the point of holding off on a change you *know* you're going to make until you decide about a change you *might* implement as a long-term fix? If you up it to 10 now, you have the end of one event plus (probably) at least one other, the upcoming Prodigal Sun. You have however many they're going to do the test on, and then you have the ones they had planned to turn scaling back on for. You end up getting more data points with scaling on at 10 health packs, so you have a better idea of whether the added health packs combined with scaling have a negative effect. If they left it at 5 until they made the determination and determined that things work better with scaling on, then introduced 10 health packs, and then found out that 10 health packs breaks it somehow, that's another change they have to make (either to tweak scaling or turn it back off). By making that change now, they're going to find out in the course of the scaling test both whether turning community scaling off is effective and how the health pack change will play in either event.

That gives them more data to base the ultimate decision on whether to keep or ditch community scaling. I think this is the way to go, tbh.
    Assuming that is the case, I agree 100% with OP here. You need a straight down the line comparison, without uncounted for variables.

But knowing that you're going to be introducing a new variable either way, comparing 18(?) months of PVEs at 5 health packs with 2-3 events with scaling off is going to distort the test, because whatever outcome you get won't be truly representative of how things would look after the health pack change. You need a straight down the line comparison, yes, but you can get that by implementing the health pack change and *then* comparing apples to apples in the subsequent 4-8 PVEs.
    I mentioned this briefly in a post a few minutes ago, but I'm afraid that the extra health packs will negatively affect the PvE experience to begin with, let alone without scaling to curb some of the more, uh, enthusiastic PvErs - making it more of a slog for everyone involved.

I always felt like the better solution would be 5 health packs for PVEs and 5 for PVPs. If you never play one or the other, you never touch that pool. Mazel tov. But by having 5 for each, people who play on both sides of the fence are able to do that without having to decide whether to use their health packs on PVP to chase the Heroic 10-pack, or on PVE because ooh look Carnage.
  • Wintersmith
    Wintersmith Posts: 76 Match Maker
    NO! This increase in health packs might just give me the chance to actually get to 800 points for black Blade cover. And that's my only goal in High Stakes. Anything else would just be bonus.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Bit weary of the health pack increase and the potential to make an already grindy game even more an endurance test.

Would rather see the game moving in the direction of rewarding skill. Effective use of character's abilities, stylish play combos etc rather than the sheer tenacity to engage in a grindwar.

Maybe they should of increased the healthpacks to seven and reviewed the impact on the game. Doubling health packs seems like a big jump.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I too understood that they would change the health packs, then run a couple PVE's without Community Scaling and then run a couple with Community Scaling back on and compare those. That makes complete sense.

Adding the 10 packs now was very beneficial, thank you D3. Blade PVP was taking 1 pack each battle because Blade was tanking almost every color for my team... ouch.

I'm hoping that 10 packs will help people to feel ready and able to do BOTH PVE and PVP since the complaints in the past have always been "I can't do both without buying health packs".

I have personally never ground a node down to 1. Those who do, did it before and will continue to do it, they just may save a little HP doing it by not having to buy as many Health Packs. With some PVE's and with the crazy scaling, these extra 5 health packs every 6 hours isn't going to break the game. It's no different than people playing every 3 hours, instead they can blitz it and come back every 6. If they changed the refresh timer to half the time, then yes, people are now earning more health packs... But they didn't, they simply increased how many you can carry, not how fast you earn them. You are pretty much only gaining 10 extra packs a day, if you sleep for 6 hours min and work for 6 hours minimum (and use all 10 between waking up and going to work) and never play your game in between. If your habit is to play every 3 hours, there is no change in how you play due to this.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    One additional thing to think about is that they have said that the PVE that starts around the 18th will feature Carnage as the reward.....which throws off data. Then when will be the next new char release? Oh, probably right after Carnage II.....so itll be WEEKS before they can get comparable events with 10 health packs. Why not use data already obtained? That's right, because they changed a significant variable (even though its one they knew they would eventually be making).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think th 10 health packs will make a huge difference as they can see what people score now, as well as how many health packs they use. We are going to have 10 health packs going forward so it makes sense to run the test with 10. The real question is to know what is it they want PVE scaling to look like? If people are getting the progression rewards too easy or are not enough people getting them. Are too many people wiping out on nodes or are people breezing through them. They can pull data on how many health packs someone uses or how much damage players take durring the PVE. The health packs won't make a difference to the data they should be looking at.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    51673319.jpg
  • I don't want to describe the way I feel reading the OP's post...

Fortunately, D3 can figure out who's wise and who's not when complaining...

The game is far less stressful now that we have 10 HP. You can have a better life icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards

I wish I could down vote. Seriously this is one of the best changes. It allows you to play both PvE and PvP and allows you to push longer. Not to mention the increased AI difficulty it's very nice
  • I love love love love the 10 health packs. In this Blade PvP, I need 2 health packs after each fight. I'm pretty sure if it was just the usual 5 health packs, I wouldn't be able to get my Hulkbuster. Now, I have a very real chance to get it, because I can play longer.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I love love love love the 10 health packs. In this Blade PvP, I need 2 health packs after each fight. I'm pretty sure if it was just the usual 5 health packs, I wouldn't be able to get my Hulkbuster. Now, I have a very real chance to get it, because I can play longer.

I don't know if it will help me get HB, since I can't stay out any more than three fights anyway icon_e_wink.gif

But now folks can run PVP and PVE both a bit longer, that's a bonus. I'm a big fan of more healthpacks as well. Wish they could all regenerate in three-hour shield, but then I wish you could go 3-hour shield to 3-hour shield now that I finally can shield hop with point changes. If wishes were candy or something...
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    How do some people not understand that he is NOT COMPLAINING about the 10 health packs vs 5? The multiple comments about 10 making life easier totally miss the point. The OP is just saying they should have waited in order to have better data from the no community scaling PVEs.