So...no compensation for the crash bug?

13»

Comments

• Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    And if it seems unfair to say the original content would've awarded 20x the value of the compensation in my analogy, bear in mind they price 3 star covers at 1,250 HP. Each cover would've equated to 5x the HP value of the compensation, and it's no difficult task to earn 3 covers in the event plus the cover from deadpools daily quest. I still got my alliance cover, so I'm not counting that.

1,250 x 3 = 3,750
    + 1,250 = 5,000

5,000 HP value / 250 HP = 20x modifier.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Arondite wrote:
    It's not quite equivalent. This is more along the lines of your boss offering company-wide overtime, even for salaried employees. This overtime will award a 500 dollar stipend for two hours of participation, along with several other in-company incentives.

Your boss then cancels this opportunity the day of because of a mistake he made in scheduling. Some employees are still allowed to participate, but you are among those who cannot.

To "compensate" you, your boss awarded you a 25 dollar gift card to Wal-Mart and 15 cents.

I wrote the following to respond to your earlier post but it seems even more relevant to the quoted post

You lost an opportunity, that is true. But D3 is not obligated in any way, shape, or form, to give you that opportunity. They are not your employer with a contract to give you a certain number of hours. Your post makes me think that you look at this game like a job. You want to work and earn wages in the form of covers, hp and iso. But if it is a job, then at best, you are an independent contractor, not an employer. They don't have to let you work this week. And best of all, you had how many free hours to do something else. Anything else. Work at a real job, maybe and earn some cash. And on top of that, they gave you a bonus (small in your eyes).

Added to reply to quoted post

You could even look at it like you are a day laborer in front of Lowes or Home Depot. Because of the crashes, for whatever reason, D3 could only pick up x number of laborers, instead of y. You weren't in the x number, but that doesn't mean D3 is obligated to give you any wages.
  • Arondite wrote:
    The snark tags were unnecessary as your whole god ****** post was nothing but snark.

The fact is normal participation in events regularly awards me this sort of prizing. Top 1/5 placements are regular occurrences. Instead of the vast prizing I normally receive, I instead a quarter of the cost of a roster slot and less than a level-up of iso-8. If you can't understand how, for a top-end player, that's receiving the equivalent of nothing while having lost the opportunity to earn rewards of actual import, I suppose it simply can't be explained to you. All I can say is that I hope the same is never done to you.

First, my entire post was pointed, not snark (with the exception of the actual pointed out snark), there is a difference.

And you are still avoiding such a simple question. And I do not need anything explained to me about your feelings. As you would say, they are immaterial. My point is simple, this is a FREE game, that most of the time is available for you to play at your own convenience. You did not purchase a game play disk for a gaming system that didn't work. You didn't pay to download content that was imbedded with broken code. You play a free game with tens of thousands (or more) of other users, in a competitive arena to win prizes. You not being able to play at your convenience does not require any compensation from the company. They made a choice to compensate us in order to show their appreciation to the player base for the glitches on their end. Which, since you seem to have been around for a while, know that this is a HUGE step forward for this company. They are not know for their generosity when it comes to these matters.
  • Arondite wrote:
    It's not quite equivalent. This is more along the lines of your boss offering company-wide overtime, even for salaried employees. This overtime will award a 500 dollar stipend for two hours of participation, along with several other in-company incentives.

Your boss then cancels this opportunity the day of because of a mistake he made in scheduling. Some employees are still allowed to participate, but you are among those who cannot.

To "compensate" you, your boss awarded you a 25 dollar gift card to Wal-Mart and 15 cents.

But you didn't work the 2 hours, so you got something for nothing in your example.

Trying taking a step away from this for a second and look rationally at this. They awarded 250 hp and 1500 game wide for server issues. The last time they had issues they gave 3 tokens and 250 iso game wide. This is a huge step in the right direction and for us to complain about that gives them no incentive to continue to reward well when there are issues like this.

Now you specifically had bigger issues than most, so submit your ticket and fight for what you think you deserve. But until that process plays out, to complain about the best game wide CS gesture they have every made, is silly and shortsighted.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    papa07 wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

But you didn't work the 2 hours, so you got something for nothing in your example.

Trying taking a step away from this for a second and look rationally at this. They awarded 250 hp and 1500 game wide for server issues. The last time they had issues they gave 3 tokens and 250 iso game wide. This is a huge step in the right direction and for us to complain about that gives them no incentive to continue to reward well when there are issues like this.

Now you specifically had bigger issues than most, so submit your ticket and fight for what you think you deserve. But until that process plays out, to complain about the best game wide CS gesture they have every made, is silly and shortsighted.

I agree. I got something for nothing. The server crash issues didn't really affect me much.

One of the guys in my alliance was completely unable to play though, and missed out on a lot of rewards he would have otherwise gotten. To make the analogy to the boss/worker scenario - your boss offers overtime, you show up with everyone else. The equipment that your boss gives you to work is broken though, and you are unable to finish the task you showed up to do. Since you can't finish the task your boss doesn't pay you the overtime pay, but instead gives you the compensation saying "hey, sorry you weren't able to participate, here's something for "nothing."
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    The analogies to this game being like a job are so apt
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    1250 HP is worth a lot more than any specific 3* cover though.

These things are hard to put a number to, because opportunity is not the same as something actually happening. If the Olympic committee holds Usain Bolt out of an event, only later to realize they made a mistake, they do not owe him a gold medal. He certainly missed out on a good opportunity to win a gold medal, and there might have been like an 80% chance that he would have won if he could run the race, but championships are always won on the field, so it's impossible to fully make everyone whole for something that didn't happen.

I think the other things is that they probably averaged it out over the player base, which is a method I'm comfortable with. The top players certainly had the opportunity to win a lot more, but there's looooooooots of players who wouldn't have come close to 250 hp even if they could play.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    scottee wrote:
    1250 HP is worth a lot more than any specific 3* cover though.

These things are hard to put a number to, because opportunity is not the same as something actually happening. If the Olympic committee holds Usain Bolt out of an event, only later to realize they made a mistake, they do not owe him a gold medal. He certainly missed out on a good opportunity to win a gold medal, and there might have been like an 80% chance that he would have won if he could run the race, but championships are always won on the field, so it's impossible to fully make everyone whole for something that didn't happen.

I think the other things is that they probably averaged it out over the player base, which is a method I'm comfortable with. The top players certainly had the opportunity to win a lot more, but there's looooooooots of players who wouldn't have come close to 250 hp even if they could play.

Good Bolt analogy.....but he could probably sue and obtain some compensation.

As for the averaging...would you feel that way if you had been one of the top players who got screwed?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arondite wrote:
    Fairly reasonable? 1500 ISO and 250 hero points is a reasonable substitution for
    -Black Panther Yellow
    -2 Taco Tokens
    -Rocket And Groot Yellow, Green and Blue (placement)
    -4100 ISO
    -200 Hero Points[/color]
    -Wolverine X Force Green (progression)
    -1000 or so Season score
    -However much ISO a full clear of Dpdq gives

HP is basically a wash, - Not playing the PvP event also saved you HP on shields/boosts. Max placement is 300HP, less whatever to shield.

But bigger picture, your progression and thus 3xGroot is an assumption. Might be based on very realistic probabilities of past performance, but still an assumption that you're not in a hell bracket where you need 1500+ to maintain (and if you can score 1500, the HP spend is also considerably higher). That's where the problem lies. There's no way to realistically predict where you would finish, so there's no way to compensate for it. And you're one user, then consider that they'd have to do that roughly 100k more times.

So the covers lost is a kick to the nards, but there's not a ton they can do about that, without blowing up their entire compensation model. Of course, there's more than a few that would like to see just that, but don't see that happening any time soon.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    It's practically impossible for a company to find out how much each individual out of thousands is owed. I think they did the best they could given the circumstances, and I for one really appreciate it.

I think the true developer effort and resourcing needs to be focused on reducing the amount of crashes. Not by running the accounting/simulations needed to try to find out what everyone "lost"
  • evil panda wrote:
    It's practically impossible for a company to find out how much each individual out of thousands is owed. I think they did the best they could given the circumstances, and I for one really appreciate it.

I think the true developer effort and resourcing needs to be focused on reducing the amount of crashes. Not by running the accounting/simulations needed to try to find out what everyone "lost"
    with no 'downtime', ever(since all events run back to back now), crashes are bound to happen and D3 will be expected to compensate. It's one of the dangers of their new event schedule.

I think the fairest compensation so far has been the PVP ones: PVP has crashed and I can't remember which season, but they just bumped everyone up a reward tier. Simple, effective.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    I think the fairest compensation so far has been the PVP ones: PVP has crashed and I can't remember which season, but they just bumped everyone up a reward tier. Simple, effective.

That was the season they introduced time shards and the season and pvp ended earlier than it said it would. They did the same thing for Ultron. However, they can't do the exact thing here because it was a more permanent outage, not just one that cut off some play. It seems like the only thing for anyone to do who feels like they are owed rewards is to open a ticket. However, what's the difference in a week of rewards in this long grind anyways?

I'm surprised they gave everyone something and not just those tagged on crashing consoles.
  • scottee wrote:
    If the Olympic committee holds Usain Bolt out of an event, only later to realize they made a mistake, they do not owe him a gold medal.

This is the best analogy I've heard so far, but what irks people is the stuff that they KNOW they know they would've won. I'm not talking about Carnage, but rather DDQ and the daily progression. DDQ has sought after 3* covers that are gauranteed if you clear the node.

1500 ISO and 250 HP aren't enough to get those covers that many people missed.

The only thing I'm really bummed about is the Yellow Grocket cover I missed out on because I wasn't able to defend my place in the PVP event for it. I was just knocked out of top 100 and I was in a waaay easy bracket so I can say with certainty that I would've got it. AND, it just happened to be a cover that I really needed.

If anything it really made me rethink the amount of time I put into a game where your ranking/achievement can be so easily affected by outages AND a game where there have been quite a few outages of late. It stinks, because to progress, get covers, etc. you REALLY have to play and play consistently.

But, methinks I'll just go back to being an occasional casual player.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    scottee wrote:
    If the Olympic committee holds Usain Bolt out of an event, only later to realize they made a mistake, they do not owe him a gold medal.

This is the best analogy I've heard so far, but what irks people is the stuff that they KNOW they know they would've won.

Another analogy would be Usain Bolt being tripped up halfway through a race and then consistently pushed over every time he tried to get up and then when the race is over with him coming nowhere he is given a pat on the head and a biscuit while someone else walks off with the gold medal
  • slidecage wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    A list of things I missed because of crash bug
    -Black Panther Yellow
    -2 Taco Tokens
    -Rocket And Groot Yellow, Green and Blue (placement)
    -4100 ISO
    -200 Hero Points
    -Wolverine X Force Green (progression)
    -1000 or so Season score
    -However much ISO a full clear of Dpdq gives

But hey. I can't wait to get nothing (as_all_users_were_affected.mpeg) or two event tokens (because_that_will_even_it_out.mp4)

good luck proving that you would took top 5 to get all 3 covers... will say this if they do give anything for this i will delete this game without seconds if they give people **** for this outage, They told me to fu. off when the ultron thing happen and i got nothing for lossing out on all of my PVP and PVP at that time. If they reward people with this outage after screwing me out of my stuff this company can go tinykitty themself.

EVEN IN THEIR POST ANYONE OVER 300,000 PTS IN THE FIRST ULTRON EVENT WOULD GET THE NEXT QS COVER

I had 396,853 pts and never got the cover when i wrote in they go

YOU DID NOT EARN IT WE WILL NOT GIVE IT TO YOU

so mostly screw it

You should have already quit then, because there was one casual player with a mediocre roster who got awarded 4 prof xs and a whole slew of other covers and rewards, while the rest of us were expected to be happy with ****.

Just get used to this game being extremely unfair when it comes to compensation for the game's screwups. I've only been playing for 3 months and it's already abundantly clear that the devs are perfectly happy to keep breaking the game and pissing off their users. If it's not about compensation it will be about something else.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think everyone is missing my point. I'm not saying they should flat give me those covers. But they should do something in the way of making that right, and 5% of the goods I would've acquired through participating normally isn't the kind of coverage anyone would deem fair if they were in my position.
  • Arondite wrote:
    I think everyone is missing my point. I'm not saying they should flat give me those covers. But they should do something in the way of making that right, and 5% of the goods I would've acquired through participating normally isn't the kind of coverage anyone would deem fair if they were in my position.

After reading other comments, the biggest thing that I did not take into account was DPDQ. I do think that if you were locked out of the DPDQ, they should award you the 3* cover, 2 Taco Tokens, and the 4200 ISO for the days that if you had the required 3*. HOWEVER, that being said, I really think that should be handled separately, and through a CS ticket or maybe even through Hi-Fi.

I didn't bother submitting a ticket when I was locked out because of the terrible CS response that I received during the TurnToSmoke bug. I just started playing a new new game that I am even more addicted to than MPQ. And while I still love MPQ and will continue to play PVP hard with my Alliance, I think my in game purchase allowance that I set for myself will probably go to my new game since you get a much bigger bank for your buck, plus, every time someone in you alliance purchases a package, the ENTIRE Alliance gets a very nice bonus as well.