"A Sense of Community".

Comments

• raisinbman wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    @arktos: Please don't use serious disabilities as insults. Referring to someone as an "autist nerd" is unnecessary. Thanks for understanding.

In my mind, it was not a serious disability, it was an overgift intellectual capacity that was leading to an incapacity of human relationships.

Some "way above" intelligent people are autistic. Besides, to me, a nerd is the one capable of huge tasks in the computing industry.

So, overall the comment was negative, but was not using a disability, it was rather using an intellectual gift.

I would not mock anyone with a disability... That's just not me. But I understand it could have been interpreted otherwise. Thanks for giving me a chance to clear this out.
    That's exactly the problem, it's in your mind. You don't actually have it. You don't actually deal with it. You don't get to assume what disabled people can and can't do or have to deal with. Just as you can't assume what women/POC can and cannot do or have to deal with unless you're in their shoes.

Yes, some disabled people can function as "normal humans" because guess what happens if they don't? They're ostracized or killed!

~emphasis added~

He was apologizing for his comment and expressly noting he will double think his comments in the future. No need to snipe at him. This is exactly how flame wars start. Accept his public apology to the community and anyone he may have offended, and move on please.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    @arktos: Please don't use serious disabilities as insults. Referring to someone as an "autist nerd" is unnecessary. Thanks for understanding.

In my mind, it was not a serious disability, it was an overgift intellectual capacity that was leading to an incapacity of human relationships.

Some "way above" intelligent people are autistic. Besides, to me, a nerd is the one capable of huge tasks in the computing industry.

So, overall the comment was negative, but was not using a disability, it was rather using an intellectual gift.

I would not mock anyone with a disability... That's just not me. But I understand it could have been interpreted otherwise. Thanks for giving me a chance to clear this out.
    That's exactly the problem, it's in your mind. You don't actually have it. You don't actually deal with it. You don't get to assume what disabled people can and can't do or have to deal with. Just as you can't assume what women/POC can and cannot do or have to deal with unless you're in their shoes.

Yes, some disabled people can function as "normal humans" because guess what happens if they don't? They're ostracized or killed!

~emphasis added~

He was apologizing for his comment and expressly noting he will double think his comments in the future. No need to snipe at him. This is exactly how flame wars start. Accept his public apology to the community and anyone he may have offended, and move on please.
    I ain't snipe at no one, if I wanted to snipe someone I wouldn't be doin' it on a public forum

and I'm not accepting no "public apologies" unless they're sincere and they say they won't do it anymore
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    I ain't snipe at no one, if I wanted to snipe someone I wouldn't be doin' it on a public forum

and I'm not accepting no "public apologies" unless they're sincere and they say they won't do it anymore

He explained his comment and realizes now how others interpreted it. It sounded sincere to me.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:

No offense, but it's not really your place to "accept" anything. He wasn't talking to you, or about you, so I'd say that doesn't qualify you for much - arktos made some poor word choices and he apologized for it. His explanation should suffice for everybody. Lets not grill him about it.

====

@aesthetocyst: Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to throw any shade at David. I'm not sure what exactly he was hired for anything (as far as the company is concerned), just pretty much what my expectations for the title. He's a really nice guy, and he's always came out for me or anyone I sent his way, so I don't have anything bad to say. The way I see it is there's a lot of people that feel like the community is "gone" or "missing something", and I can at least try and do something.
  • raisinbman wrote:

No offense, but it's not really your place to "accept" anything. He wasn't talking to you, or about you, so I'd say that doesn't qualify you for much - arktos made some poor word choices and he apologized for it. His explanation should suffice for everybody. Lets not grill him about it.

====

@aesthetocyst: Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to throw any shade at David. I'm not sure what exactly he was hired for anything (as far as the company is concerned), just pretty much what my expectations for the title. He's a really nice guy, and he's always came out for me or anyone I sent his way, so I don't have anything bad to say. The way I see it is there's a lot of people that feel like the community is "gone" or "missing something", and I can at least try and do something.
    I didn't grill anyone, and since when was it a closed conversation? This is a public forum.

Again, I did not snipe or grill anyone. Someone posted something on a public forum, which I responded to.
  • GothicKratos
    raisinbman wrote:
    I didn't grill anyone, and since when was it a closed conversation? This is a public forum.

I didn't say you grilled anyone - I said we shouldn't - as in going forward. It is a closed conversation, because there's a topic, for this topic. Yes, offshoot can happen, but this is a completely unrelated topic, so if you wish to continue it in some form, you should do so somewhere else (pm, another topic, etc). Additionally, your statement of "not accepting" his apology unless he does so by your terms comes off as argumentative.

Thank you for understanding and letting this topic keep to its topic.
  • raisinbman wrote:

I didn't say you grilled anyone - I said we shouldn't - as in going forward. It is a closed conversation, because there's a topic, for this topic. Yes, offshoot can happen, but this is a completely unrelated topic, so if you wish to continue it in some form, you should do so somewhere else (pm, another topic, etc). Additionally, your statement of "not accepting" his apology unless he does so by your terms comes off as argumentative.

Thank you for understanding and letting this topic keep to its topic.

D3Go's requirements to be a mod in 2015 :

Patience, Cold Blood, Pedagogy, More Cold Blood, Abnegation, Even More Cold Blood.

GK : you earn the diploma !

Let me thumb up the OP. I think I overlooked many messages on here in the last weeks.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gothic,

Any hints on what sort of contests you might be able to run if permission is granted? Videos/memes/stories/haikus/muffin recipes? Or is it still too early to do any foreshadowing of possibilities?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Stax/Pylgrim: I really like the idea of an AMA/questionnaire. I'll try and see if maybe we can get something like that rolling. They mentioned that awhile back before they started the videos. I'll try and push on this after their current QnA comes out.

That would be great, but please see if there's a way that it can be more of a conversation, or give the question asker the ability to ask a followup. I think it's that back-and-forth that creates clarity.

When there's just one answer, it's more likely to get picked apart, and people are going to read into ambiguities whatever suits them. When there's an ongoing conversation, even a brief one, it resolves some of that ambiguity.
  • GothicKratos
    Puce Moose wrote:
    Gothic,

Any hints on what sort of contests you might be able to run if permission is granted? Videos/memes/stories/haikus/muffin recipes? Or is it still too early to do any foreshadowing of possibilities?

I really liked the meme thread/contest, so it's likely I'll do those a lot, but I want to try and have some variety too. I don't just want to have the same old meme contest every other week. I'm gunna try and dig into my bag of tricks and look back at some stuff I've done in other communities and try to correlate them to our game.

Also, I'd love to have a muffin recipe contest asap. Accepting all entries via mail. USPS only, thanks.
  • GK : it was a compliment icon_e_wink.gif
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Tredo wrote:
    Honestly, more communication from the devs would be the biggest draw. As it is, they drop some cryptic or incomplete information in a news post, then flee. The main reason I come here is to check for new information on characters, game modes (ha!), or updates. Plus, their style of dropping a bomb and running generates a ton of anxiety and hostility.

But it is insane how they get blasted as soon as they poke their noses out. Each one of their posts gets analyzed to the smallest details and people just jump on them about all kinds of issues not related to the subject they posted in.

Yes they have to be more present, customer service and all, but it can't be pleasant to have to deal with this all the time.
  • Wonko33 wrote:
    Tredo wrote:
    Honestly, more communication from the devs would be the biggest draw. As it is, they drop some cryptic or incomplete information in a news post, then flee. The main reason I come here is to check for new information on characters, game modes (ha!), or updates. Plus, their style of dropping a bomb and running generates a ton of anxiety and hostility.

But it is insane how they get blasted as soon as they poke their noses out. Each one of their posts gets analyzed to the smallest details and people just jump on them about all kinds of issues not related to the subject they posted in.

Yes they have to be more present, customer service and all, but it can't be pleasant to have to deal with this all the time.
    they will always be blasted....that's just how the world works. Go look at youtube video comments or news article comments. And those of us who speak truly are upvoted. Look at general right now. You see some kneejerk reactions, but we also have some well thought out responses(HP Suck commentary) that have tons and tonnes of upvotes
  • GothicKratos
    raisinbman wrote:
    they will always be blasted....that's just how the world works. Go look at youtube video comments or news article comments. And those of us who speak truly are upvoted. Look at general right now. You see some kneejerk reactions, but we also have some well thought out responses(HP Suck commentary) that have tons and tonnes of upvotes

Can I take a second to point out the utter irony in this statement?

I don't want to derail anything too drastically, but stew on that a little bit. The biggest problem with internet commentary is people don't have to think about what they're say, because there are not direct impacts on themselves, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.
  • raisinbman wrote:

I don't want to derail anything too drastically, but stew on that a little bit. The biggest problem with internet commentary is people don't have to think about what they're say, because there are not direct impacts on themselves, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.
    its more than just the internet
  • GothicKratos
    raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

its more than just the internet

So does that make it okay for me to be mean to you "because it happens"?
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Dear GK,

Thank you for trying to create a so called "sense of community", however I'm posting here to tell you that you are going about this the wrong way.

Firstly, can't speak for nonce, but I can say that the reason the Polarity does not post anymore has very little to do with community. It's more to do with the game not being fun any more and that there are other games that are more fun. You can either stick your head in the sand and ignore what I say, or just accept it as a "FACT" that a lot of my old alliance mates in SHIELD have stopped playing because for them, the game:
    1. Stopped becoming fun
    2. Became too much like work
    3. was too disruptive of real life
    4. was too addictive (maybe, and I don't mean this in a good way) causing them to just quit cold turkey and disappear without saying goodbye because doing otherwise was too difficult
    5. Needs to have more than a compulsion loop to keep people playing.
    6. has been running for more than a year and a half.

Secondly, you don't get a community posting positive things by asking them to be more positive. Your defensiveness in trying to explain why you've posted in this thread and in the other incandescent whatever thread does not help things either. Asking people to play nice just does not work. If you want these forums to improve, then you need to get off your high horse and start writing good posts about the game. Otherwise you're just contributing to the problem.

Also trying to get some viral fun into the forums just doesn't happen because you want it to. You get good content for the forums if it's users are generally excited/feel passionate enough about the game rather than some forced north Korean style golfclapping. Link below sums up what I feel about the original post.

http://kotaku.com/capcom-thats-not-how- ... 1705974986
  • GothicKratos
    @kidicarus: I understand why NothernPolarity left (and is instead playing Puzzles and Dragons!). There is a great amount of displeasure with some changes in the game. I definitely understand. I don't think I'm going to magically make that go away. There will be tension as long as people disagree with the game's direction (so basically forever). My aim is to try and engage the community, as a member of the community.

I know some people have, well, we'll call them "unfavorable" opinions of me, for various reasons. That's fine. I've had my moments. I can admit to that. I've been harsh. I've made posts that were uncalled for. I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be. I have, however, apologized for all of my missteps. That's the most decent thing I could do for my inadequacies.

In closing, thank you for writing out that thoughtful post, despite you thinking my efforts might be fruitless, I still see the that you mean well enough (mayhaps not for me, but for the community itself).
  • I came to the forums for memes. (and maybe some info about the game).

Needless to say...
    nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    I know some people have, well, we'll call them "unfavorable" opinions of me, for various reasons. That's fine. I've had my moments. I can admit to that. I've been harsh. I've made posts that were uncalled for. I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be. I have, however, apologized for all of my missteps. That's the most decent thing I could do for my inadequacies.

In closing, thank you for writing out that thoughtful post, despite you thinking my efforts might be fruitless, I still see the that you mean well enough (mayhaps not for me, but for the community itself).

Look, I don't know you from Jack on line chat or trucebc or whatever it is the cool kids moonlight on, seeing how it seems to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy to me. I just play the game and occasionally lurk here. All I'm saying is you want to engage the community, write something profound, funny or true about the game.
This discussion has been closed.