• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I exspecially hate ashphalt, but in the summer it gets so hot you can de-thaw your meat on it. I pacifically hate words that are a blend of two simular words, like flustrated, hugenormous or hugemongous.

More words I despise when misused:
    oirentated (instead of oriented)
    "Organic" fruits and vegetables... it's all organic, they need a better term, like PF (pesticide free) NH (non-hormonal), etc.
    "Don't know nothing about that"... double negative... you are hiding something then?

And contains the letter D. An is not a suitable replacement for And.

My pet vernacular peeve is when people add an 's' to anyway. "I was headed to the store anyways. I'll pick it up for you"
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hate it when people use the word "incredulous" when they actually mean "immunosuppressive." icon_razz.gif
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I exspecially hate ashphalt, but in the summer it gets so hot you can de-thaw your meat on it. I pacifically hate words that are a blend of two simular words, like flustrated, hugenormous or hugemongous.

More words I despise when misused:
    oirentated (instead of oriented)
    "Organic" fruits and vegetables... it's all organic, they need a better term, like PF (pesticide free) NH (non-hormonal), etc.
    "Don't know nothing about that"... double negative... you are hiding something then?

And contains the letter D. An is not a suitable replacement for And.

Oh man, this post made me both laugh and die a little on the inside. I can tolerate spelling errors to a certain degree, but some of those horrid mispronunciations or whatever you would call them...oh man...

Speaking of which! The second month of the year is February! There's a god-damn "R" in there, you degenerates!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just thought of another one my coworker says. "Every since". "Supposably". "Mal" (not mile. mals). "Warshington". "frew", not through.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fc,550x550,grass_green.jpg

I love me a good necro-post. This thread needs some oomph, and I got just the thing!

Can we please stop using the term "cast" for powers? They're powers and thus there is no casting, excluding Scarlet Witch, and even then it's not exactly correct. If we ever get Doctor Strange, then there will be two proper situations to say "cast." So knock it off! "Use" is perfectly acceptable and it's faster to type as well.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    Can we please stop using the term "cast" for powers? They're powers and thus there is no casting, excluding Scarlet Witch, and even then it's not exactly correct. If we ever get Doctor Strange, then there will be two proper situations to say "cast." So knock it off! "Use" is perfectly acceptable and it's faster to type as well.
    Casting is a borrowed word from old school RPGs where abilities tend to be spells so yeah. Anyway, if you want to get really pedantic, "use" isn't really the correct term either, and a more correct term is "activate", since, for example, there are passive powers that get activated based on other conditions that are not usages by the player and create effects that are not necessarily "useful" to the player (Healing and Heat for example).
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally, I just really hate the English language as a whole. It's a train wreck.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Personally, I just really hate the English language as a whole. It's a train wreck.

You should try American then!

Funniest part is.. that isn't even a joke. It is not English anymore, especially not on the internet.

The internet is reverting to old Egyptian ways.. worshiping cats and writing in hieroglyphics (emojis)

I honestly do not understand most teenagers anymore, not what they write, nor what they say.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

Funniest part is.. that isn't even a joke. It is not English anymore, especially not on the internet.

The internet is reverting to old Egyptian ways.. worshiping cats and writing in hieroglyphics (emojis)

I honestly do not understand most teenagers anymore, not what they write, nor what they say.

It's funny hearing Americans trying to pronounce the words squirrel, penguin, vehicle, semi and aluminium. Special mention also to those in the southern states trying to say the letter w icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Weird Al feels your pain, guys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

It's funny hearing Americans trying to pronounce the words squirrel, penguin, vehicle, semi and aluminium. Special mention also to those in the southern states trying to say the letter w icon_e_smile.gif

Florida is a southern state, but not all of it. Southern Florida is basically Cuba and retired old rich people, Central Florida (Tampa to Orlando on the west, and the cape to nearing Daytona on the east) have almost no accent.. unless you hobble into Brooksville or Plant City, then you are in the Deep South, with North Florida and the Panhandle being everything in the world all jumbled together (2 major Universites and some military bases)

I live in a place called Ybor City (part of Tampa), it is everything in Florida, all rolled into 10 square miles, fastest internet and LTE in the state, and chickens roaming the streets and yards.. with a storied nightlife that brings in people from around the state...

In Ybor, no-one knows what anyone is saying, yet we all manage to communicate.. http://www.yborcityonline.com/

Edit: Forgot to mention, festivals, block parties, and parades, every week it seems like, for really no reason at all.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I live in Ohio. I know....trust me, I know. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    “The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse ****. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”
    ― James D. Nicoll
  • Unknown
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:

You said, "Americans," like there's a unified mode of speech in that country, and not a multiplicity of disparate accents. Brooklyn, Texas, Louisiana, West Coast, and Midwest are just some of better known ones, with mild variations in between.

It's hard to know where to begin in decoding what you meant in the above post because I know neither where you're from nor which American accent you're discussing. I'd venture to guess you're British or Australian, because you think there are two I's in, "aluminum," but is that the reason it's funny?

AL-YOO-MIN-EE-UM versus UH-LOO-MIN-IM. Pretty much every region pronounces it the same, so I'm going to say you think our version of the word is funny, and not our pronunciation.

What about squirrel? To me, it's pronounced, SKWURL, but maybe you say it, SKWEER-RILL, and roll your R while you do it, like you're incredibly posh? Though, I suppose in the South, they might take it closer to SKWARL.

PENG-GWUN
    VEE-UH-CULL (do they say VEE-HICK-ULL where you're from?)
    SEM-EEE or SEM-EYE? Not a funny difference.

Then we get to DUB-YUH instead of DOUBLE-U. But there are a lot of idiosyncrasies in a lot of accents. Aussies pronounce their O's like hard I's. Both Aussies and Brits treat the letter R like it was a vowel.

In Canada, where I'm from, we pronounce, "about," in a way so foreign to Americans that, to this day, not a single one has figured out exactly how to copy it. It sure isn't, "UH-BOOT," or, "UH-BOAT," I'll tell you that much. We just don't rhyme it with the kind of bow that you take on stage.

But if you think pronouncing the letter W with two syllables is bad, you really must think the British are silly.

Worcestershire
    Cholmondely
    Leominster
    Featherstonehaugh
    Marjoribanks
    Warwick
    Derby
    Gloucester
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:

You said, "Americans," like there's a unified mode of speech in that country, and not a multiplicity of disparate accents. Brooklyn, Texas, Louisiana, West Coast, and Midwest are just some of better known ones, with mild variations in between.

It's hard to know where to begin in decoding what you meant in the above post because I know neither where you're from nor which American accent you're discussing. I'd venture to guess you're British or Australian, because you think there are two I's in, "aluminum," but is that the reason it's funny?

AL-YOO-MIN-EE-UM versus UH-LOO-MIN-IM. Pretty much every region pronounces it the same, so I'm going to say you think our version of the word is funny, and not our pronunciation.

What about squirrel? To me, it's pronounced, SKWURL, but maybe you say it, SKWEER-RILL, and roll your R while you do it, like you're incredibly posh? Though, I suppose in the South, they might take it closer to SKWARL.

PENG-GWUN
    VEE-UH-CULL (do they say VEE-HICK-ULL where you're from?)
    SEM-EEE or SEM-EYE? Not a funny difference.

Then we get to DUB-YUH instead of DOUBLE-U. But there are a lot of idiosyncrasies in a lot of accents. Aussies pronounce their O's like hard I's. Both Aussies and Brits treat the letter R like it was a vowel.

In Canada, where I'm from, we pronounce, "about," in a way so foreign to Americans that, to this day, not a single one has figured out exactly how to copy it. It sure isn't, "UH-BOOT," or, "UH-BOAT," I'll tell you that much. We just don't rhyme it with the kind of bow that you take on stage.

But if you think pronouncing the letter W with two syllables is bad, you really must think the British are silly.

Worcestershire
    Cholmondely
    Leominster
    Featherstonehaugh
    Marjoribanks
    Warwick
    Derby
    Gloucester

No different then going to Spain and being from Mexico, sure they are both called Spanish, but the differences are huge. Even driving from Florida to Peru, the dialects of Spanish heard along the way did not keep us lacking in language faux pas. Then trying to use all the Spanish i knew down in Miami or even where i live.. not always going to be saying what you think you are, and we won't even start on Portuguese or Italian, both of which are close, but not quite.

The American version of English has incorporated so many words from the multitudes of immigrants that made us the country we are (which is sort of a mess, and awesome at the same time), and will never be easy, and is always evolving.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rant incoming. You may want to skip to the end.

It's a bit of a minefield. English as a language continues to evolve, borrowing and stealing words from anywhere it can. It's interesting that people seem to think there's some inherent value in limiting the way the language is used, then you end up in the same situation as French where the official version is quite different to the spoken version. Le sandwich and Le weekend are everyday spoken French expressions that would never get past the Acadamie Francaise.

Some of this is caused by education, you're taught that certain spellings or grammatical constructs are correct and others are not. That tends to cause people to be quite rigid in terms of what they consider to be acceptable usage whereas the reality of language is that it's a tool for communication, if you're being understood then you're using it. Efficiency or effectiveness of usage is a different matter. There are thousands of words in the language that fill very small niches, they allow for very precise descriptions and definitions. Large numbers of these don't get used even in the appropriate situation and being pedantic about usage, while hugely satisfying, is only useful if both parties have the same vocabulary.

Now some examples. When my little brother was a young child he used to say "adventually" when he meant eventually and it was adorable. When my work colleague says "pacifically" and means specifically it's infuriating. My wife worked at a school where one of the children elides the words special and fancy to make "spancy", I've adopted spancy into aspects of my speech as I think it's a pretty good word. There's a whole mass of double standards at play here, couple that with people unconsciously modulating their speech and you can see why trying to define a universal standard is not going to work.

You probably said things your parents didn't understand. Your children, if you have any, will say things you don't understand. People in different professions barely speak the same language at all. You want to be a pedant? Fine but don't be surprised when a bigger pedant pulls you up on something. Aluminium is a good case in point, the British spelling is a newer variant spelling. Historically the American version aluminum was prevalent. Which one is correct? Who cares. Do you have any difficulty understanding that they're both the same thing? I doubt it.

Tl;dr language changes. Get over it.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I live in Ohio. I know....trust me, I know. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

As someone who lived in Ohio for half a year during a very wayward period in his life, you have my sincerest sympathies... Although you do have Cedar Point. Silver lining.

As for language peeves, a huge upside of being a professional linguist (and yes, I'm pretty cunning, thank you) is that you develop the superpower of being able to completely ignore mistakes people make unless you're either being paid to correct them, or unless they can lead to a groan-worthy pun.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:

As someone who lived in Ohio for half a year during a very wayward period in his life, you have my sincerest sympathies... Although you do have Cedar Point. Silver lining.

As for language peeves, a huge upside of being a professional linguist (and yes, I'm pretty cunning, thank you) is that you develop the superpower of being able to completely ignore mistakes people make unless you're either being paid to correct them, or unless they can lead to a groan-worthy pun.

Groan worthy pun you say, please tell me more.