R76 issue - Please read if you play on multiple devices

Options
Demiurge_Will
Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi, all,

If you play Marvel Puzzle Quest on multiple Android and/or iOS devices, there’s an issue in R76 that can lead to losing progress that you should know about.

When the game tries to send multiple saves to the server quickly, under worse than expected network conditions, sometimes only the first one will successfully upload. This isn’t a problem if you continue to play on that device, but if you switch devices before the game tries to send another save to the server, you’ll download the data from that first save.

This can lead to losing the progress that you made between the first save that was queued up to be sent to the server and when you switch devices.

We’re looking into a solution for this, have turned off the popup that recommends players update to R76, and I’ll keep you updated when we know more.

In the meantime, taking an action that forces a save (like changing a notification preference in the options screen and closing the window, starting or completing a mission, or joining an event) before switching devices will reduce the risk of data loss, and playing on just one device in R76 will avoid the risk entirely.

If changing a notification preference in the options screen and closing the window doesn't succeed at transferring your save across devices, check that both devices have the Facebook option checked in the options menu.

UPDATE, 5pm 5/19: We've isolated the issue, determined that a fix can't be made in a patch and requires a game update, and have the fix in hand. We're working to get it approved and available on the app store/Google Play as quickly as possible.

You should see a message and help item explaining the bug and the workaround in game shortly.

Events that are running on Thursday require R76. So it's possible that R76 will become a required update before the fix is available. Our choices were to halt the event schedule or to continue with this bug present, and given the proportion of players affected and the existence of a workaround, we think it makes the most sense to continue.

UPDATE, 4:30p 5/20: There's a second issue that we're also working on that can cause the sync-to-Facebook checkbox to become unchecked. If you're having difficulties with the workaround, please double check that checkbox is checked on both devices.

Comments

• Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hi, all,

If you play Marvel Puzzle Quest on multiple devices, there’s an issue in R76 that can lead to losing progress that you should know about.

When the game tries to send multiple saves to the server quickly, under worse than expected network conditions, sometimes only the first one will successfully upload. This isn’t a problem if you continue to play on that device, but if you switch devices before the game tries to send another save to the server, you’ll download the data from that first save.

This can lead to losing the progress that you made between the first save that was queued up to be sent to the server and when you switch devices.

We’re looking into a solution for this, have turned off the popup that recommends players update to R76, and I’ll keep you updated when we know more.

In the meantime, taking an action that forces a save (like toggling a notification preference in the options screen and closing the window, starting or completing a mission, or joining an event) before switching devices will reduce the risk of data loss, and playing on just one device in R76 will avoid the risk entirely.

Had this happen to me yesterday. Got a green Squirrel Girl cover from a standard (yea!) on my ipad before I went to sleep, woke up and loaded the game on my phone and got my alliance rewards from Vision pvp but noticed no green cover was applied to SG.
    Went back to ipad to play match and save so when I played again on my phone I had the cover but the rewards were missing. I submitted a ticket so hopefully it will get resolved.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    An in-game popup about this would be a good thing - and would probably save you guys a lot of time dealing with fixes/restitution, since these are easy workarounds to do if you know about them.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I take it this doesn't affect the Steam version of the game, which only syncs with Steam's cloud after the game is closed?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we have some sort of "Save" button?

For me, I have poor service at work and sometimes after I completed a bunch of missions during my lunch break (e.g. Deadpool Daily), the next time I open the game, nothing saved and I have to redo all the missions again. It's frustrating beating a very tough mission (lvl 200 Juggs) just to see the "Lost Shield Connection" screen and then completion does not save, of course this only happens when I win, not lose icon_mad.gif.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    I take it this doesn't affect the Steam version of the game, which only syncs with Steam's cloud after the game is closed?

No reports of any issues on PC.
  • Unknown
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:

What about the disappearing tokens?

One more possible "issue": Just played DDQ and when the AI's next wave showed up with She-Hulk, Beast, and Daredevil, it had 25 green stored up. The AI actually activated Animal Inside and then Furious Charge on the same turn. First time I've seen the AI shoot off two powers of the same color on the same turn. Is this a new change or a bug?
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

One more possible "issue": Just played DDQ and when the AI's next wave showed up with She-Hulk, Beast, and Daredevil, it had 25 green stored up. The AI actually activated Animal Inside and then Furious Charge on the same turn. First time I've seen the AI shoot off two powers of the same color on the same turn. Is this a new change or a bug?

If the AI has the AP to spend, why wouldn't they use 2 powers in succession? I don't think this is new behavior. I've seen this quite a lot actually. Definitely not a bug.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

Should have spoken more precisely, sorry: no reports of the above issue on PC. We're looking into the token issue separately.
    gobstopper wrote:

No changes there, and doesn't sound like a bug.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    UPDATE: We've isolated the issue, determined that a fix can't be made in a patch and requires a game update, and have the fix in hand. We're working to get it approved and available on the app store/Google Play as quickly as possible.

You should see a message and help item explaining the bug and the workaround in game shortly.

Events that are running on Thursday require R76. So it's possible that R76 will become a required update before the fix is available. Our choices were to shut down the event schedule or to continue with this bug present, and given the proportion of players affected and the existence of a workaround, we think it makes the most sense to continue.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    UPDATE: We've isolated the issue, determined that a fix can't be made in a patch and requires a game update, and have the fix in hand. We're working to get it approved and available on the app store/Google Play as quickly as possible.

Events that are running on Thursday require R76. So it's possible that R76 will become a required update before the fix is available. Our choices were to shut down the event schedule or to continue with this bug present, and given the proportion of players affected and the existence of a workaround, we think it makes the most sense to continue.

Meantime what do we do Will?

I confirmed I won IW cover at 1000 points on my phone, and applied it to make her 5/4/4.
    When I signed in on my iPad, no cover, IW is 5/3/4.

I signed back in on my phone just now and see it 5/4/4 there again (and got log back in script).

Do I not play on my iPad anymore til this blows over? Or am I going to lose it no matter what I do?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    File a ticket for things already lost, and going forward follow their workaround by doing something that forces a save upload (e.g. preference changes, or beating a Prologue mission) after you get something you definitely don't want to lose? The bug isn't that hard to avoid when you know what to do.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    >open 10 Pack Heroic
    >check pulls
    >good?
    >keep playing
    >bad?
    >quickly swap devices and try again

gg no rematch
  • Unknown
    Options
    Will, can we get a list of what actions will (and won't) definitely synch with the servers so we can make a point of doing one before we switch devices? If this isn't going to get fixed for a week I don't want to have to jump into the prologue every time I switch devices.
  • Wobby
    Options
    File a ticket for things already lost, and going forward follow their workaround by doing something that forces a save upload (e.g. preference changes, or beating a Prologue mission) after you get something you definitely don't want to lose? The bug isn't that hard to avoid when you know what to do.

I already got the bug, and can't go back and play on my iPad now. I have 80+ covers in queue on ipad but missing IW blue, iPhone has 20+ missing covers but has applied IW blue.

I've tried plenty of things and cannot get my iPad to get back to the right save.

I just want to know what to do. Should I delete the app from my iPad to restore the iPhone version?
  • Wobby
    Options
    Wobby wrote:

I already got the bug, and can't go back and play on my iPad now. I have 80+ covers in queue on ipad but missing IW blue, iPhone has 20+ missing covers but has applied IW blue.

I've tried plenty of things and cannot get my iPad to get back to the right save.

I just want to know what to do. Should I delete the app from my iPad to restore the iPhone version?

Well as I was going in to take screenshots of the differences my iPhone finally stopped having the IW cover. So that's lost now. Ticket filed.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Will, can we get a list of what actions will (and won't) definitely synch with the servers so we can make a point of doing one before we switch devices? If this isn't going to get fixed for a week I don't want to have to jump into the prologue every time I switch devices.

Got home from work, and tried to open the app on my tablet; none of my progress from the day carried over.

Force closed app on tablet, went back to phone, made sure that progress was still there; it was.

Went to Prologue, beat up some doombots. Force closed app on phone, went back to tablet. Still no progress synched.

Force closed app on tablet, went back to phone. Changed notification settings, closed window. Beat up more doombots. Force closed app on phone, went back to tablet. Still no progress synched.

Force closed app on tablet, went back to phone. Bought Standard token. Moonstone, yay! Beat up more doombots. Force closed app on phone, went back to tablet. Still no progress synched.

Force closed app on tablet, went back to phone. Sold Moonstone. Beat up more doombots. Cleared a couple of nodes from Hulk PVE. Beat up more doombots. Ruminated on the fact that many doombots have given their mechanical lives in vain whilst I attempted to get my saves to synch. Force closed app on phone, went back to tablet. Still no progress synched.

Gave up and deleted MPQ from tablet, so that I don't accidentally fragment my data during breakfast before my coffee kicks in.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just wanted to make sure you are aware that yes there is a problem for us ancient ones who have Steam and phone linked, they are not syncing properly now either.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just had this happen. Played in my iPad, did the first node of the daily and opened a taco (some 2 star). Played the 1 star node of the daily, and quit.

An hour or so later, logged in on my phone, and saw the daily had no completed nodes. No big loss. Then, the taco the second time around have me a 3* human torch.

Please don't ban me. I wasn't trying to exploit the system. The broken game just unfairly rewarded me against my wishes.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem is definitely worse today, not better. I played the first couple nodes of DDQ today on my tablet. Logged off. Checked on my phone just now, and none of the DDQ nodes showed as completed, though I had the points. I played them again to (re)clear them and earn (back) the tacos (I hadn't drawn them yet anyway).

I'm staying off my tablet until this is fixed. Needs to be done post-haste.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Toggling a notification preference (click on the gear in the upper left, click on one of the checkboxes under "NOTIFICATIONS", then close the options window), is the quickest way to trigger another save.