The devs have done well

13»

Comments

• Telicis wrote:
    Again, League of Legends has a hugely unfair advantage there: That game was originally never created for profit, has been around for almost five years, and thus has a lot more experience with playerbases/how to balance things/etc.
    I'm going to stop this one here because any response at this point from me will get increasingly tangental.
    Telicis wrote:
    As for the time/iso/hp required, I don't argue with that at all it's a large investment. However, I would argue competing doesn't necessitate that: Proper scaling would solve most of the PvE issues, and PvP's messed up matchmaking are the bigger obstacles there.

Thor and Wolverine are both still functional characters who have a place in a roster. And, honestly, every piece of advice I've read (and benefitted from) since playing this game goes directly against only focusing on three characters. Especially when so much of the game is based on luck from where tiles fall (ones you can't see, I mean).
    They do have a place, but with no respec system and many of the characters having an obvious build path makes nerfs somewhat difficult to work around.

I also understand that you're not supposed to only focus on three characters, but starting out, you don't have the iso to invest in more than a few characters and still keep a steady pace of progression.
  • Droc76
    Droc76 Posts: 56
    I was a little upset at first with the raise in boost cost and the 230 lvl puzzles but you learn to adapt. I wasn't going to sell my 85 wolverine and 77 Thor but at 28k and 34k Iso plus 1050 HP for both I couldn't resist. I was able to get my Hulk to lvl 92 and still have 27k Iso left. My first daily 100 HP card pull was a pink spidey so I can't complain. I would want to rebuild Thor with the new skills as well. I had a 5/5/3 Thor. With the Iso HP refund it just made it an easy choice to rebuild and take a chance to pull some *** cards with the daily 100 pull. Lesson learned, focus on *** cards and just deal with it. If this game didn't have the marvel licence I would have quit a long time ago anyway.
  • Derethus wrote:
    They do have a place, but with no respec system and many of the characters having an obvious build path makes nerfs somewhat difficult to work around.

I also understand that you're not supposed to only focus on three characters, but starting out, you don't have the iso to invest in more than a few characters and still keep a steady pace of progression.

I agree entirely on the respec option - this and the lack of information about only being able to use 13 covers is a very very poor choice.

Personally in my experience, everything scaled fine. I did the Prologue up to Oscorp (where Yelena became a wall for a while), and had 4 or 5 functional characters all about the same level (15~) when I did my first tournaments. Admittedly I did terribly, but just the grind of getting 4-5 wins to get a Standard Pack during each Lightning Round was enough to help.

Of course, I think it's already a given that "steady" is an adjective the disappears from "pace of progression" the minute you reach ** Characters. There are too few ***s, much less ***s that are accessible, to properly advance at even 1/10th the speed one had maintained before.
  • Telicis wrote:
    Derethus wrote:

I agree entirely on the respec option - this and the lack of information about only being able to use 13 covers is a very very poor choice.

Personally in my experience, everything scaled fine. I did the Prologue up to Oscorp (where Yelena became a wall for a while), and had 4 or 5 functional characters all about the same level (15~) when I did my first tournaments. Admittedly I did terribly, but just the grind of getting 4-5 wins to get a Standard Pack during each Lightning Round was enough to help.

Of course, I think it's already a given that "steady" is an adjective the disappears from "pace of progression" the minute you reach ** Characters. There are too few ***s, much less ***s that are accessible, to properly advance at even 1/10th the speed one had maintained before.
    With the pvp and pve events from the last hunt and before, you could really ramp up your progression if you focused on a few characters. Once you got a couple of ** characters high enough levels, you could compete in the past pve events. I started this game just after the first hunt event. I played a bit in the first Hulk event and knew exactly what I needed to do to do well in the second Hulk event: put everything I had into Wolvie and OBW. This got me Hulk and tokens I got from the event got me some Punishers. This let me do well in the Hulk and Punisher tournaments that followed.

In theory if they got enemy scaling right anyone can play with the team they had, but when I started, you needed those high **.
  • Derethus wrote:
    With the pvp and pve events from the last hunt and before, you could really ramp up your progression if you focused on a few characters. Once you got a couple of ** characters high enough levels, you could compete in the past pve events. I started this game just after the first hunt event. I played a bit in the first Hulk event and knew exactly what I needed to do to do well in the second Hulk event: put everything I had into Wolvie and OBW. This got me Hulk and tokens I got from the event got me some Punishers. This let me do well in the Hulk and Punisher tournaments that followed.

In theory if they got enemy scaling right anyone can play with the team they had, but when I started, you needed those high **.

That's actually really interesting... In comparison I started I think RIGHT when the last Hulk Event ended.

If it hadn't been for getting a Patch from one of the subevents and having an OBW, TaT would have been far more difficult for me. Though I think that's probably more a sign of "they need to stop boosting characters to obscene levels for events", rather than a good sign of how progression should be.

It also brings up, in my opinion, a secondary problem: You almost need to know what characters are going to be featured to do well. If you had, for example, not pulled Punishers from your tokens (but say something else), you'd have done worse. Even if you pulled, say, an equivalent amount of covers for a *** character.