Your Best MPQ Moment of the day (positive thread)

Options

Comments

• kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Always great to get the 1000 HP on the Taco Vault.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was checking through my roster, and realized that the Nebula cover I got from a random Heroic token earlier means that I have at least 10 covers for all 4* currently in tokens!
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,117 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pulled the purple cover I've been fishing for in my Unstable ISO-8 vault for my 5/1/5 Kingpin. Just one more!
    Kingpin was such a pain for me. I started out 0/0/5 and had to trash 3 yellows before the saved cover feature went live. First 3 covers after it went live......3 freaking yellows. I was talking to Hadronic on Discord about it and he calculated the odds of that happening in the trillions.

He’s covered now but unclamped with 7 saved covers.
    Um...not even close to in the trillions.  Even if you're talking specifically about Kingpin getting three of one exact cover.  The odds of getting 11 consecutive covers for a character of one specific color are 3^11:1, which is 177,147:1.

Now, if you're talking about getting 11 consecutive non-Bonus Hero yellow Kingpin covers, without getting any other covers during that streak, assuming you only open Legendary tokens?  Then your odds are one in [(# of 4-stars available in tokens) * 3 (you're only getting only one color cover for that character) / (odds of getting a four star from an LT) ]^11, which is easily above the trillions.  If I did the math correct (71 four stars currently in tokens, 6/7 odds of getting a four star from an LT) the odds are one-in-223,146,625,544,774,763,513,334,151.53955.  That's one in 223 billion trillion.

My Nick Fury started out 0/9/0, and went to 2/13/2 before I finally started getting enough non-blue covers to max level him.  This was before champing was a thing, let alone saved covers.
    I’m no statistician and just posting what I was told. Either way the odds were long but thanks for clearing it up.
    No problem. I'm just a math/stats nerd, and enjoy figuring this sort of thing out.  I don't enjoy when it actually happens, however!   Like now, for instance, when my farmed 2/5/5 Captain Marvel has nine saved covers.  Fun to figure out how unlikely it is (about a 2.6% chance) but not fun to experience it for yourself!
    How about Silver Surfer, my first ever five star character? I've only ever pulled black covers for him. He's 0/0/8 (had to sell three as this happened before saved covers, so build is 0/0/5) and will likely be stuck making black holes forever :-(
    Yikes. I hope he figures this one out, I’d like to know the odds.
    Not a problem, and that's a relatively simple one.  If you have X covers for the same character, and they're all the same color, the odds of getting that many of  *that specific* color in a row are 3^x-to-1.  Since you have eight black covers, the odds against that are 3^8-to-1, or 3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3, or 6561-to-1.

Those are the odds of your character going exactly 0/0/8.  Getting X covers of the same color for a character is 3^(x-1)-to-1, since we don't really care which color it is.  This could mean your Silver Surfer is 8/0/0, 0/8/0, or 0/0/8.  The odds of your Silver Surfer getting eight of the same color covers in a row, regardless of which color they are, are 3^(8-1)-to-1, or 3^7-to-1, which is 3*3*3*3*3*3*3, or 2187-to-1.  We divide the previous value by three because there are three covers for each character.  Since it doesn't matter which color we're looking at, that means order doesn't matter, so there are more chances to get eight covers in a row.  The odds still aren't very good, but they're three times better than getting eight black covers in a row.

At the extreme example for this, the odds of getting a single specific cover for a character are 3^1-to-1, or 3-to-1.  You can either get a red, blue or black for your Silver Surfer.  The odds of getting any color cover for Silver Surfer when you get a Silver Surfer token are 3^(1-1)-to-1, or 3^0-to-1, which is 1-to-1, which is a certainty.  If you get a Silver Surfer cover, it will be one of his three colors!

One of the guys in my alliance has 13 saved covers for his 0/5/5 Ares, and my Marvel is now up to 11 saved covers.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got black OML out of classic today for a still less than useful 3/0/3 build, but at least he's getting there. Then I got another saved Invisible Woman cover out of the TaT store that came with a bonus green Nebula. Now i'm down to just EB Venom in the 4* characters currently in tokens below 10 covers, and he has 9...nearly completely shield training proof (minus the iso to put them all at 209 of course)...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Been on a hot streak in classic - right after I got that Court Death, my next classic got me a yellow for First Avenger, and then I got a 4*, followed by a red for my 5* Hawkeye for a 1/4/3, making him technically feedable on that magical day when i get like 98 more covers for my 3/8/3 Kate Bishop
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I noticed that my iso had crept up again following Anniversary so I decided to splurge a bit. Champed Shuri because I figured she is a bit different to my other champed 4's. I then decided to put some iso into Kraven who has quite a lot of covers but sat lvl100 for ages because, well, why not?

Made me realise that Saved covers is the best thing ever. :smile:
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Highly recommend Shuri (5/3/5)/IM40/Peggy(3/5/5) when the simulator starts up. it's not the most killer defense team, but it's a lot of fun on offense
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Highly recommend Shuri (5/3/5)/IM40/Peggy(3/5/5) when the simulator starts up. it's not the most killer defense team, but it's a lot of fun on offense
    Cool, I'll definitely try that out, thanks RoadWarrior!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    When you're done with that, run Shuri/Main Event/P4nther if you have it  lol
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    When you're done with that, run Shuri/Main Event/P4nther if you have it  lol
    My Panther is missing 4 covers sadly so I don't tend to get much use out of him outside when he is boosted. I did enjoy the Panther/Shuri combo though - I've used that a few times in various places even though they were at lower levels.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    The addition of MEH brings that random tile swap to create the shuri fortify bonus damage on top of the P4nther defend tile bonus, as well as reducing Main Even'ts power costs down to reasonable levels so you can create a bunch of gamma powerbomb crits inside fortified tiles to go off twice. it's pretty spectacular when it all works

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I didn't do any of the math on how rare it is to end up in the position you're in, but I did do some simulations on what it will take you to get out of it. Your 0/0/5 Silver Surfer will need on average about 13.1 random covers to get enough to be champ-able (5/3/5, 3/5/5, or 4/4/5). Here's the distribution of random needed additional covers to get to champ status for a 0/0/5:

Covers Prob
    8 2.8%
    9 7.7%
    10 12.1%
    11 14.2%
    12 14.0%
    13 12.2%
    14 9.9%
    15 7.5%
    16 5.5%
    17 4.0%
    18 2.9%
    19 or more 7.2%

• sambrookjm
    Options
    I placed #6 in the Deadpool Daily today, thanks to getting in nice and early and having Capt Marvel crush Iron Man in three turns.

My son, not to be outdone by his old man, came in at #1 in his 1000 player pool a bit later on.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My son, not to be outdone by his old man, came in at #1 in his 1000 player pool a bit later on.
    May he cherish his No Prize for the rest of his MPQ-playing days! :)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Made t20 in Thick as Thieves even with animations turned on. Could have made t10 if I'd gotten a better handle on just how much faster Kitty makes Grocket when boosted, but I didn't get it quite right, missed a couple of nodes in one Sub and had some significant wait time at the ends of the others.
  • sambrookjm
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    May he cherish his No Prize for the rest of his MPQ-playing days! :)
    Highest I've ever placed in my 1500+ days of playing is #2...  I'm jealous. :smile:

As for today's best moment, it was finding out that 5-star Widow's purple can also remove the "Dark Energy" Hazard countdown tiles that destroy the rows/columns.  She's definitely moving up my list of favorite characters.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Champed Ghost 4ider finally since he had 9 saved covers, and all the CP/LT got me that last blue i needed for my 5/2/5 Teen Jean and a saved cover for Bucky out of Classic. Lumbercap and Gho5t Rider are still my best shots at feeding a 5* to full coverage, so I'll take any covers I can get from those guys (even though I still need one last red to make Bucky champable - it's coming from daily rewards in the next few weeks if I don't get one some other way)
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hit T10 in CL9 for TaT. It's the first time I can recall getting T10 in CL9, and on a release event, to boot!