IceIX or Devs, I want to call something out

Options

Comments

• IceIX wrote:
    And we're flipping from a Wolvy Tourney to a Thor Tourney. Which means that it's *still* not a good time since we're ending the Tourney for one character that was changed. Again, when is a good time?

I think the sensible thing would be to have a window every week then there isn't a tournament (maybe Thursday afternoon right after the Lightning rounds end) and consistently roll it out then. Plan a weekly events "blank spot" and use that as update time.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    And we're flipping from a Wolvy Tourney to a Thor Tourney. Which means that it's *still* not a good time since we're ending the Tourney for one character that was changed. Again, when is a good time?

I think the sensible thing would be to have a window every week then there isn't a tournament (maybe Thursday afternoon right after the Lightning rounds end) and consistently roll it out then. Plan a weekly events "blank spot" and use that as update time.
    It doesn't even have to be completely blank. Whatever event it is just needs to not feature the characters being balanced.
  • Derethus wrote:
    Bottom line is they are in control of the rollout of patches and the scheduling of the events. They are responsible for their screw ups and they can make all the excuses they like but they are just that. They need to own the problem and fix it. This **** wouldn't fly anywhere but a game studio.
    I just want them to acknowledge that they can do better in this situation and not just "we have lots of events! no time!"

Its an excuse for poor planning that they don't seem to want to own up too. As I said this wouldn't fly in the corporate world.
  • The good time was when the OP said. The Thor and wolvie tourneys are the mistake.

The main problem was not telling the players "you can sell them at an increased price BUT it is not very wise since they will be featured and boosted now and then, so you might regret it sooner or later"

Frankly, it was straight OBVIOUS. 2* are featured very often, as they should be. I held my champions thight, and why not? They sold at half the price to build them, why bother rebuilding them later still paying half the price more? I'd rather wait a couple of months for a respec option thank you.
    While it is funny they got featured right away, I am quite sure the nerf and the tournament schedule were made independently at different times, probably by different people.

Too bad, move on. Can't blame the devs for this, please blame yourselves.

Now, about the other matters... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Il Palazzo wrote:
    While it is funny they got featured right away, I am quite sure the nerf and the tournament schedule were made independently at different times, probably by different people.:
    If this is true, then the company has a huge problem. It would be like your mouth deciding to close just before your hand shoved a fork full of food into it.
  • Derethus wrote:
    Il Palazzo wrote:
    While it is funny they got featured right away, I am quite sure the nerf and the tournament schedule were made independently at different times, probably by different people.:
    If this is true, then the company has a huge problem. It would be like your mouth deciding to close just before your hand shoved a fork full of food into it.

Even if the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing which is rampant in many organizations they still need to own the problem and not offer flippant excuses.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    So a couple days ago, IceIX posted this:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    If you guys listen on the forums, could you please stop nerfing characters in the middle of tournaments featuring those characters? It's wonderful that you charge people for an avengers tournament and then nerf the two most played avengers in the middle of it.
    Given that we run multiple events that feature different characters and many events often overlap, that's a really difficult one to abide by. Right now about the only characters we could probably hit would be a couple Dark Avengers and Bag-Man. The rest of the characters are pretty well featured in other Tourneys.

I want to say that, if the current PvP tournament didn't feature Wolverine, this would be the perfect time to patch. There's only one event going on. Tomorrow's Friday so devs can monitor any emergency. Why did the patch have to happen on tuesday, in the middle of a paid PvP tournament and in the middle of a very broken PvE?

With your setup, there wouldn't have been. How about waiting for the week long PvE event to end and not schedule either of those characters as main characters for PvP Tourneys?
  • kaganb wrote:
    With your setup, there wouldn't have been. How about waiting for the week long PvE event to end and not schedule either of those characters as main characters for PvP Tourneys?

This really isn't rocket science. If you can't get this right and need to make excuses on something that is obviously a bad decision then that really makes me question whether there is any hope for any of these issues being fixed.
  • I wonder if we'll get another dev response here or if we should just assume they're going to carry on as they have been.
  • IceIX wrote:

How about a bit of forward planning? It's not really hard at all. If you know you're about to nerf a character, don't schedule a tournament featuring them! Jesus, it's not rocket science!
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

How about a bit of forward planning? It's not really hard at all. If you know you're about to nerf a character, don't schedule a tournament featuring them! Jesus, it's not rocket science!

I notice they run away when the critiques get tough and the excuses don't work. Very sad state of affairs. I really do like this game I am now barely playing compared to what I was. Keep hoping they aren't the type of company they appear to be but that is fading fast.
  • I don't know about you justaplayer, but I don't think I'll ever spend money on this game again if they don't improve their schedule.
  • Derethus wrote:
    I don't know about you justaplayer, but I don't think I'll ever spend money on this game again if they don't improve their schedule.

I already signed on to the boycott thread. I am hoping they change their tune but my hopes are fading fast. From appearances they have taken our money and really don't give a flying f** what we think. I really I hope they prove me wrong but their silence is deafening.
  • Derethus wrote:
    I don't know about you justaplayer, but I don't think I'll ever spend money on this game again if they don't improve their schedule.

I already signed on to the boycott thread. I am hoping they change their tune but my hopes are fading fast. From appearances they have taken our money and really don't give a flying f** what we think. I really I hope they prove me wrong but their silence is deafening.
    Which one is the boycott thread?
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We roll out changes in small batch sizes (as opposed to saving them up for a big update) whenever possible (it's possible for data changes and not for changes that require an app update). This reduces bugs and enables us to respond to issues and improve the game at a vastly faster rate. This also makes changes more difficult to precisely schedule very far in advance. The event schedule is subject to all kinds of factors that can affect events' start date, so coordinating those two things without creating a situation where a vital change is delayed or you're left without an event running means that sometimes changes relevant to events happen while the events are running (and as others have pointed out, for some changes, there's little/no time where the change isn't relevant to a currently running event).
  • Derethus wrote:

Lol I can't find it now looks like they deleted it Unreal
  • We roll out changes in small batch sizes (as opposed to saving them up for a big update) whenever possible (it's possible for data changes and not for changes that require an app update). This reduces bugs and enables us to respond to issues and improve the game at a vastly faster rate. This also makes changes more difficult to precisely schedule very far in advance. The event schedule is subject to all kinds of factors that can affect events' start date, so coordinating those two things without creating a situation where a vital change is delayed or you're left without an event running means that sometimes changes relevant to events happen while the events are running (and as others have pointed out, for some changes, there's little/no time where the change isn't relevant to a currently running event).
    How vital was the Wolvie & Thor nerf that it had to happen in MIDDLE of the Avenger's Elite tournament?
  • Derethus wrote:

My error I found it:

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2747
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    My error I found it:
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2747
    I was gonna say, I don't delete threads unless they're 100% useless, dupes, or requested to be deleted by the author. That would have surprised me as much as you.
  • Oh that thread. I'm fine with the nerfs and still think they're usable, I just think they timed it terribly. I guess I'll have to leave my boycott message here.