IceIX or Devs, I want to call something out

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So a couple days ago, IceIX posted this:
IceIX wrote:
Derethus wrote:
If you guys listen on the forums, could you please stop nerfing characters in the middle of tournaments featuring those characters? It's wonderful that you charge people for an avengers tournament and then nerf the two most played avengers in the middle of it.
Given that we run multiple events that feature different characters and many events often overlap, that's a really difficult one to abide by. Right now about the only characters we could probably hit would be a couple Dark Avengers and Bag-Man. The rest of the characters are pretty well featured in other Tourneys.

I want to say that, if the current PvP tournament didn't feature Wolverine, this would be the perfect time to patch. There's only one event going on. Tomorrow's Friday so devs can monitor any emergency. Why did the patch have to happen on tuesday, in the middle of a paid PvP tournament and in the middle of a very broken PvE?

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, the very broken PvE was a fine time to patch. If you consider it is better to have to change strategies in a broken tournament than it is in a solid competetive tournament.

Adjusting them in the Avengers tournament wasn't so justifiable.
  • IceIX wrote:
    It is rare for there not to be a PVE event running and there is always a PVP Tourney of some type or another up. There is no "good" time to do this. At the middle or end of an event is bad since it changes meta. At the start of an event is bad since people need to figure out the new meta too quickly to place well.
    The current state of affairs puts the lie to that statement, unfortunately. The next event isn't starting until tomorrow and this one ends in 24 hours. Could've just postponed the launch of the Oscorp event for 24 hours and done the nerf/update after The Best There Is ended. It's pretty straightforward. What's done is done, but maybe more attention could be paid to the timing of things in the future. I think the goal should be to assuage the player base, not do things that are guaranteed to rile them up, especially when that can easily be avoided.
  • They should have learned when they needed rags right in the middle of the lightning rounds, but they still want to justify it.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Derethus wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    If you guys listen on the forums, could you please stop nerfing characters in the middle of tournaments featuring those characters? It's wonderful that you charge people for an avengers tournament and then nerf the two most played avengers in the middle of it.
    Given that we run multiple events that feature different characters and many events often overlap, that's a really difficult one to abide by. Right now about the only characters we could probably hit would be a couple Dark Avengers and Bag-Man. The rest of the characters are pretty well featured in other Tourneys.

I want to say that, if the current PvP tournament didn't feature Wolverine, this would be the perfect time to patch. There's only one event going on. Tomorrow's Friday so devs can monitor any emergency. Why did the patch have to happen on tuesday, in the middle of a paid PvP tournament and in the middle of a very broken PvE?

Hardly any game companies do a major patch on Friday, because when something inevitably breaks there's nobody around to fix it all weekend.
  • Puritas wrote:
    Hardly any game companies do a major patch on Friday, because when something inevitably breaks there's nobody around to fix it all weekend.
    That didn't stop them from starting an event that turned it to be really broken in a Friday night and not realize this until Monday. The could set their patch times to coincide with low event numbers and put that in the middle of the week.
  • Puritas wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:

So that's why they release major Pve events on Fridays when there's no one around to fix them? You're a smart 1 aren't u.
  • Is Friday afternoon deployment of significant updates a mobile gaming thing, or is Demiurge just special? It seems crazy to me, but maybe they have much bigger active user numbers over weekends and want shiny new stuff up to keep them interested?
  • Derethus wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:

As soon as I saw just one event this morning I was planning to post the same thing. Even with the Wolverine PVP they could have posted a disclaimer in the event description: 2* wolverine will get nerfed in the middle of this event.

I played the game from the beginning and nothing has ever stopped them from breaking events midway on Friday (juggernaut) or posting new bugged out PVE when nobody will be around to fix it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dare Devil was actually broken in R46 (new game mechanic) and the rush was to fix him on R47 before people get the covers.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Dare Devil was actually broken in R46 (new game mechanic) and the rush was to fix him on R47 before people get the covers.
    There actually IS something wrong with him, even though it's nothing game breaking. Just a text error in the german localization, don't know about the other languages.

If you click on his special tiles you get a placeholder name for the variable.
    pmmsRAo.png
    ds4XDbp.png
  • Derethus wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:

Come on people, why don't you just call out the utter ****?

Events are not raining from the sky or strike like lightning. They are scheduled by the same company as the updates -- and could be scheduled in any way to fit for the changes. It's also completely feasible, even desirable to cancel an obviously broken event, or pause it, then resume or restart after properly fixed. If I was in charge Thivies would be put on hold right after end of first sub. With the second just not opening until a couple of days later with a fix of those mob levels. Adding to run of the main event the skipped time. What would be hurt? (Not counting whoever might benefit from stripping players of their collected boosts before a hike...)

He also said a few times excuse like some pack needed to get rolled out because it contained support for whatever upcoming tournament and without that it was not possible. More of **** explanation. We know that update are not restricted to some 2-weekly points, they happened at all random moments. There is no restriction on that part. We also have seen switches in work -- that support is deployed then can be turned parts on/off. It's not hard to have and it is done. So that could be applied to any other part of changes, scheduled independently of the deployment itself completely.

Say all the nerfs and boost hikes could still be in the update but just get effective after the ongoing PVP tournaments ended. Or the week-long PVE.

Actually that would have been the good time: announce *all* the changes at deployent time with going in effect on 1/31. The volverine event might get started only then -- or with the existing schedule still would have left players some time to think ahead and act.

Sense and elementary fairness to customers is just not on the company's aim list. And we customers are treated like tinikitty. Maybe because we are actually -- keeping up our support in time and actual money, so they have little reason to do anything else.
  • This whole thread is preposterous. Patches are always going to be inconvenient for someone, always in every game ever. A patch in an mmo might make your current raid progression change. Or a patch in Hearthstone might make climbing the ladder that much harder. At least patches in this game are instant as opposed to large chunks of downtime like most games. If you can't adapt with patches then modern gaming just isn't for you because patches that change the game are commonplace in today's market even in single player games.
  • Top8Gamer wrote:
    This whole thread is preposterous. Patches are always going to be inconvenient for someone, always in every game ever. A patch in an mmo might make your current raid progression change. Or a patch in Hearthstone might make climbing the ladder that much harder. At least patches in this game are instant as opposed to large chunks of downtime like most games. If you can't adapt with patches then modern gaming just isn't for you because patches that change the game are commonplace in today's market even in single player games.
    Yes. But there are smart ways to patch and there are dumb ways to patch. Patching when you have the least going in is smart. Patching in the middle of a tournament you charged money for is dumb.

It would be like blizzard hosting a Hearthstone tournament for prizes, and after everyone has entered, nerfing some cards. Or putting out a balance change in the middle of a major starcraft tournament.
  • IceIX, you're on! Please read and respond.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Derethus wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:

And we're flipping from a Wolvy Tourney to a Thor Tourney. Which means that it's *still* not a good time since we're ending the Tourney for one character that was changed. Again, when is a good time?
  • I'm just going to come right out and say it:

They've painted themselves into a corner. Stagnancy is death, and you don't EVER want there to be no content avaliable. But since the Prologue, while long, is the only consistent content that has been around, they HAVE to keep churning out events to avoid people sitting on their hands.

The obvious argument here is "it can't be worse than fighting Level 230 enemies when no one I have is even 150!"... But THEY aren't thinking of it that way. They have no reason to think of it that way, because a stagnant game is a dead game, and they don't want a deadline of "we have to have this content/this event out by this date" to fight with.

I think we can all agree the game would be better off if, for example... All the effort that went into Oscorp Heroic and Thick as Thieves, instead went into making standard PvE chapters. This is the crux of the problem as far as events go, IMO.
  • Telicis wrote:
    I'm just going to come right out and say it:

They've painted themselves into a corner. Stagnancy is death, and you don't EVER want there to be no content avaliable. But since the Prologue, while long, is the only consistent content that has been around, they HAVE to keep churning out events to avoid people sitting on their hands.

The obvious argument here is "it can't be worse than fighting Level 230 enemies when no one I have is even 150!"... But THEY aren't thinking of it that way. They have no reason to think of it that way, because a stagnant game is a dead game, and they don't want a deadline of "we have to have this content/this event out by this date" to fight with.

I think we can all agree the game would be better off if, for example... All the effort that went into Oscorp Heroic and Thick as Thieves, instead went into making standard PvE chapters. This is the crux of the problem as far as events go, IMO.

The good time was when the OP said. The Thor and wolvie tourneys are the mistake.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Derethus wrote:

And we're flipping from a Wolvy Tourney to a Thor Tourney. Which means that it's *still* not a good time since we're ending the Tourney for one character that was changed. Again, when is a good time?
    And why did these two tourneys HAVE to be a wolvy tourney and a thor one? Why didn't you instead have a Capatain America tourney followed by a No Holds Barred tourney? This way you can test the rebalance and not nerf characters in the middle of events that feature them.
  • Bottom line is they are in control of the rollout of patches and the scheduling of the events. They are responsible for their screw ups and they can make all the excuses they like but they are just that. They need to own the problem and fix it. This **** wouldn't fly anywhere but a game studio.
  • Bottom line is they are in control of the rollout of patches and the scheduling of the events. They are responsible for their screw ups and they can make all the excuses they like but they are just that. They need to own the problem and fix it. This **** wouldn't fly anywhere but a game studio.
    I just want them to acknowledge that they can do better in this situation and not just "we have lots of events! no time!"
  • Veracity wrote:
    Is Friday afternoon deployment of significant updates a mobile gaming thing, or is Demiurge just special? It seems crazy to me, but maybe they have much bigger active user numbers over weekends and want shiny new stuff up to keep them interested?

Almost EVERY mobile game I play releases and big updates on Thursday afternoon.