Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: Voting closed

Comments

• Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just to get this back on track.. SG needs more love from you people. Now that DPD gave me a 4th cover for her green (she is at 5/4/4 now), and with her boosted... that green is doing over 4k dmg, free AP + cascades.

I have been using her more and more since the last PVE (with bullseye putting out those shields.. her purple has insane damage boosted.)
    I agree, that green is insanely good.

One thing I like about switching to rating each character individually is that even if they rank low relative to other characters, you can still see that they are a 6 or 7 out of 10, which isn't necessarily horrible.
  • Great work OP, the ranking system although different is much easier to vote on, and it's pretty objective with a ranking /10. It'll be interesting to see the results, but great work!
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've removed all of the off-topic and flame war posts from this thread and locked in them in a secure location where they will reside until the end of time. Warnings have been issued, both verbal and through our warning system. Any further attempts to take this thread down a similar road will be met with bannings.

Excellent work OP. I love to see how my thoughts on a character's worth stacks up to others'.
  • rixmith wrote:
    How did this turn into another flame thread? This is ridiculous. It's pretty simple, if someone makes a post that pisses you off, just ignore it. Don't respond and start another flame war. How hard is that? This was a good and productive thread, let's keep it that way.
    that's what I do, I don't understand why ppl can't let someone make a comment in peace
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just to get this back on track.. SG needs more love from you people. Now that DPD gave me a 4th cover for her green (she is at 5/4/4 now), and with her boosted... that green is doing over 4k dmg, free AP + cascades.

I have been using her more and more since the last PVE (with bullseye putting out those shields.. her purple has insane damage boosted.)
    I agree, that green is insanely good.

One thing I like about switching to rating each character individually is that even if they rank low relative to other characters, you can still see that they are a 6 or 7 out of 10, which isn't necessarily horrible.
    I agree example I would rank them overall so 10s are obvious (kingpin, prof x, cyc, kk etc) obw is undoubtedly the greatest 2 star but compared to these guys she is a 6/7 great work man
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just to get this back on track.. SG needs more love from you people.

YOU PEOPLE??

icon_eek.gif

I kid.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just to get this back on track.. SG needs more love from you people.

YOU PEOPLE??

icon_eek.gif

I kid.
    SG isn't necessarily bad, her abilities are all unique, and her purple is actually quite powerful compared to other purpleflag.png-eqsue abilities.

The problem is in a game where characters range from "I've fallen and I can't get up" and "I'M A NUCLEAR WEAPON" she's not gonna stand out.

Her yellowflag.png is nice and cheap(Though slightly invalidated by Cage), her greenflag.png I really personally like but it probably needs to be reworked, passive-ized, or just cost reduced(effect reduced as well, ofc)

Good news is she can't possibly be nerfed, however icon_e_wink.gif

and good fortune/since ppl don't trust my opinion: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6627&p=356184&sid=647434c7f4a052570842a933b98339ba#p355878
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Here's an upvote and your green post. Great to see someone else taking up the mantle, these is one of the things I always enjoyed reading while I was lurking here as a non-member a while back, and has helped me make decisions in roster building while I was transitioning. Unfortunately I won't be doing it since I usually limit myself to the few 166s I have so I have little experience in most others, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the results
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:

The problem is in a game where characters range from "I've fallen and I can't get up" and "I'M A NUCLEAR WEAPON" she's not gonna stand out.

^ This line.. sums up everything all at once.....

Also, i followed the link.. never thought of using her yellow to prevent having to give the AI a match they need.. i hate that, only one move on the board and if you make it, you set the AI up for something big... neat trick!
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

^ This line.. sums up everything all at once.....

Also, i followed the link.. never thought of using her yellow to prevent having to give the AI a match they need.. i hate that, only one move on the board and if you make it, you set the AI up for something big... neat trick!

As one of the other SG boosters on this board, I approve of this post.

Her fifth green may not be a nuke, but the fact that you can use her green to actually generate a positive AP is pretty nice.

I actually had an interesting combination with her and Hulkbuster in the last PvP event. I would use SGs green power and then follow it up with HBs Blue power and SGs yellow power.

Suddenly there's no green left on the board to match my CD tiles, and I've suddenly got a whole bunch of high strength protect tiles to hide behind. Your move AI.

The only sad thing is that it means that there's no green on the board for SG to pop to replenish her green again for another Furry Friends attack. And since she never pops her own special tiles, it also means that I'm often left with the only blue, yellow, and green tiles left on the board after a couple of turns are my CDs and Protect tiles.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Today is the last day to participate in the voting. I'll probably close the poll once I'm out of work, which gives everyone about 8 hours or so.
  • jimstarooney
    Today is the last day to participate in the voting. I'll probably close the poll once I'm out of work, which gives everyone about 8 hours or so.
    Cant wait mate, , great work!
  • Today is the last day to participate in the voting. I'll probably close the poll once I'm out of work, which gives everyone about 8 hours or so.
    I guess those 8 hours were give and take?

Anyway, that just let's me speak not only in ratings, but also in WORDS!:

I'll be starting from my last set(viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25844), primarily discussing any changes between now and then.

General changes: Weekly Powered up characters across both sets of events, required essential characters of 2*/3*/4* variety, teamups scale up but no longer will be 'above' your roster, PVP was thrown into limbo(I'm still not sure of the status of PVP now that I think about it...), AP generation and boosts were nerfed across the board, Health buff to everyone except IF/3*Thor/etc., Star-Lord has less team-ups(who cares), Avengers vs Ultron requires certain characters, Star-Lord teamups 'fixed', Team-Ups now work with Professor X Passive Kamala Khan passive,

Buffs: Carol Danvers was 'fixed', Doctor Octopus was 'fixed', Invisible Woman, Elektra(lol), Beast, Doc Ock(lol), She-Hulk(YESSS), Professor X was 'fixed', Moonstone Buffed

Nerfs: X-Force

new characters: Kamala Kahn Kingpin Quicksilver Scarlet Witch Hulkbuster Iron Man

Kamala Khan

Kamala sets a new standard for what a 'support' character can do(well, besides literally being Professor X), inheriting the crown from OBW: She accelerates green, heals you when you do things, and puts out big damage. Anyone who hates her simply because she's a new character, I feel sorry for. 10/10

Commentary: Level her up ASAP. I'm scared she might be nerfed, however. She also brings out the Best(tee-hee) in Psylocke.

Kingpin
    Wilson Is interesting because much like with Hulkbuster, since the resident powerhouses got nerfed, there's a gap in power between 3*'s best and the lack-of-4*-who-don't-suck. I haven't heard too much chatter about what he's capable of, but seeing as people have immediately dismissed him in favor of Hulkbuster being the new must-have PVP character, I think the community has made their choice. His HP and multitude of countdown tiles can't be ignored, however. 8-9/10

Commentary: He does have amazing synergy with Scarlet Witch. I'm undecided because Countdowns are countdowns, though he's definitely no Star-Lord.

Quicksilver: Bagsilver. His abilities are potent, well they were before he was pre-release nerfed. His Black is actually one of the most strategic and power moves in the game - shame it's overcosted. His blue does nothing. His green is often detrimental to what he's trying to do. Unusuable/10, 10/10 in SonOfMagstorm

Commentary: I'd like to be able to target his green for his black(Hawkeye can place crits, don't look at me like that!), really, the devs should just look at the fan-made quicksilvers on the speculation sub-forum. Oh and his blue should do SOMETHING. I get it. He was overpowered then you nerfed him. Stop overnerfing characters, D3. Get rid of his stupid Locked tile gimmick, just reduce his costs like Juggernaut. He is HOWEVER a part of the best team in game, SonOfMagstorm(Professor X/Iron Fist/Quicksilver), so there's at least that.

Scarlet Witch
    Wanda scares me. Not because she's 'weird', but because she produces free purple. I can see the nerf-bat hitting her fairly soon as she'll be apart of some unholy AP generation combo that D3 seems so intent on nerfing. Her green is cheap, mini-Storm storm. Her purple is good, not Deadpool good(he forced me to say that), but good. Her blue is.....going to be nerfed. Considering how often her family gets nerfed, it's not a question of "if", but "when". I really don't see any reason not to use and exploit her powers if I had her fully covered, etc. 10/10

Commentary: She gives Kingpin free Countdowns, as if she wasn't already good enough.

Hulkbuster

Highly awaited and surprisingly, not underwhelming. Abilities all well costed, a ridiculous amount of HP, dangerous abilities. He's not just Hulk-proof. He's MPQ-Proof. And he generates AP. Which is always a sign. 11/10

Commentary: He fits nicely into the spot that 4*Thor and X-Force were forced out of. He produces AP so it's fair game for D3 to nerf him, as they've been want to do.

Invisible Woman
    She's now.....*drumroll* usable! She's not amazing, and part of it seems like D3 thought 'hey, let's slap some protect tiles on everything she does!' to make her better. I still find it sad Professor X is a better 'invisible' character than her. 7-8/10

Beast
    Beast went from suicidal to usable. I'm still not overly excited about him, but ey, at least D3 didn't tinykitty it up, right? 7/10

She-Hulk
    Jenny from the block got just what she needed to make her 1) interesting and 2)a real threat. Her green is fantastic and her blue makes threaten tiles yours. What could be sweeter? Her damage is kind of lacking and she's situational, but she can be used as a PVP deterrent. 9/10.

Moonstone
    Went from eh to usable. It is strange how her ability is straight-up better than many 3* tile-taking powers. Also similarly costed. I think she'll get some pocket use vs all goon nodes for stealing Turn to Smoke and Threaten tiles. Not gonna rate yet till we see her in game.

X-Force
    We all knew he was going to get nerfed. He went from the Best There Was to a board-shaker. That being said, Surgical Strike does hit like a motha still, but we all knew he wouldn't retain his AP tricks. That being said, we can't ignore how HARD he got hit by the nerf bat and how other, newer 4* are more competent. But lots of people did overreact to how badly he got nerfed. 7/10
  • none.png
    .....Dammit! Missed ANOTHER charater ranking!

....stupid RL commitments...really wanted to try the new 'Anti-hate' ranking survey, too.

...at least the results should be interesting.... icon_e_smile.gif
  • jimstarooney
    The suspense is killing me...
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I didn't vote, because I am only on day 175 and am just now starting to use my level 94 3*s. I didn't feel as though I could make an informed decision on 3*s and 4*s.

:+/
  • raisinbman wrote:

I'll be starting from my last set(http://www.d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25844), primarily discussing any changes between now and then.

nonsense nobody cares about cut

Be sure to read this thread all the way to the end folks, there is good entertainment to be had
  • ArkPrime wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

I'll be starting from my last set(viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25844), primarily discussing any changes between now and then.

Be sure to read this thread all the way to the end folks, there is good entertainment to be had
    rude too bad I can't downvote you
  • Damn. Missed it. Would have enjoyed weighing in here.

Maybe keep the poll open a little longer next time? A full 2-3 weeks, maybe? One week just didn't quite cut it, IMO.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

rude too bad I can't downvote you

Why can't you?