Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: Voting closed

Options
Ebolamonkey84
Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
The voting period has ended. Stay tuned for a new thread in the next couple of days.

So with mischiefmaker's retirement from the game, character rankings have been in limbo. A couple people have attempted to fill the void, but either did not get enough responses or didn't actually take other people's feedback into account. A few of us who chat on Line decided we would try to make this one a collaborative effort, so hopefully everyone can contribute and have a meaningful conversation about the game we all keep playing. We will try to do full write ups for each of the characters, with recommended build, alternative builds, and good characters to pair them with.

New Characters since the 12/14 rankings:

Squirrel Girl
Iron Fist
Luke Cage
Cyclops
Elektra
Star-Lord
Professor X
Kamala Kahn
Kingpin
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
Hulkbuster Iron Man

Notable other changes:
Nearly across the board health boosts
Weekly boosted characters
Major nerfs
Semi-useful buffs
Reduced match damage beyond a character's natural limits

With the ever increasing number of characters in the game, I decided to try something different instead of having each person rank all 69 characters relative to each other. That method would often lead to people sorting out the two extremes and leaving the middle as is. Now, you will rate each character on a scale of 1-10, and the average scores of each character will be used to determine overall ranking. Hopefully, there will be enough responses to prevent ties. I will leave the survey up until next Friday (5/15).

Here is the link.

Comments

• Ebolamonkey84
    Options
    If you are not familiar with me and you are curious about my experience in the game, here is some of my roster info:
    On day 404
    2 max cover 4* over level 200
    11 maxed 3*
    22 other max covered 3* level 80-138
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will do the survey when I reach a computer. It's too difficult to do the survey on mobile.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just did it, hope its permanent now. Very useful information
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's cool to see a new ranking, I just voted !

But I think it's too bad that there aren't half stars, or twenty stars. In the end I ranked my personal better character with 10 stars, and the 20 better next are between 7 and 9 stars. But unlike the previous ranking I can't say if I preferred Modern Thor or Iron Fist because they both are at the same level of stars. In the end my vote is less accurate.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is way better than ranking them all against each other for sure
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you are not familiar with me and you are curious about my experience in the game, here is some of my roster info:
    On day 404
    2 max cover 4* over level 200
    11 maxed 3*
    22 other max covered 3* level 80-138
    At last, someone qualified to carry mms torch.thumbs up from me mate I only wish I could get on a pc to do it.
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options
    Just finished, tried to give somewhere between the level restrictions and a 'pound for pound' rating. Although some characters are restricted by max level when they're powered up (i.e. in pve events) they're absolute monsters icon_eek.gif

Will be interesting to see the results icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just voted, looking forward to results. Thanks for volunteering your time and effort to do this
  • Unknown
    Options
    I shared this with a few friends who have somewhat more limited rosters and they brought up a good point: There are many characters they don't have much experience using and aren't really qualified to rank. Would there be any way to set it up so a person could NOT rank a character and have it not weigh against that character's total score?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Was harder to start but easier to finish. This new survey type really makes you break it down into tiers. Am also glad that someone is finally putting in the experience level into the survey as well. Will show how great some characters are for certain power regions, but how garbage they are once you're trying to break into the next level.

The other way was way too much work. Am hoping the results for this will turn out better.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

Definitely! As the grid breakdown showed last time, a lot of characters had rankings heavily skewed towards their original (unchanged) positions in the list. This way's a lot better, and I'm looking forward to the results. (Voted this aft!)
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I chipped in my 2 cents... icon_e_wink.gif

Thank you for putting this survey together & bringing the character rankings back to life... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Good idea by the way to revise the concept as I think that it is an improvement on an already good thing. icon_cool.gif
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks to you and your collaborators for doing this! I think the new raking system will give better results overall. I wonder if this will see some 2* characters creeping a little higher in the rankings again. When you're thinking, "OK, who's more powerful?" it's easy to just default rank threes ahead of twos. But when you're actually faced with giving OBW a score out of ten. . .
  • mischiefmaker
    mischiefmaker Posts: 932
    Options
    My name is mischiefmaker and I approve this message.

Happy to see the character ranking tradition lives on!
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    My name is mischiefmaker and I approve this message.

Happy to see the character ranking tradition lives on!
    How about doing some guest write-up MM? Your editorship is a large reason why your rankings are so readable! icon_e_smile.gif
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

I can't agree more.

It only took me 5 mins to give each character ratings... as compared to the 25 mins it took me to rank order the characters in the past. Mischiefmaker's style was great when the roster was much lesser, but ebolamonkey method is better for the current set of characters.

I look forward to the write-ups.

P.S. Let me know if you need help with any characters.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Finished my rankings.
    Only a few got 10*s from me, like Iron Fist, Prof X and Cyclops.

It will be interesting to see if people rank someone like OBW at 8-10 stars because in her tier she is the best, but that skews the rankings somewhat. I tried to stay objective and gave her 6* which put her on par with some of the average 3* (like Mohawk) but above other 3*s like Rags or Beast.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    voted, nicely done, looking forward to see all results !!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Surveyed. I think this method is going to have a lot of 2*s overshadowing 3*s undeservedly tho.
    ArkPrime wrote:

Definitely! As the grid breakdown showed last time, a lot of characters had rankings heavily skewed towards their original (unchanged) positions in the list. This way's a lot better, and I'm looking forward to the results. (Voted this aft!)

See, I don't agree with this at all. Ranking them against each other is basically assigning a value of 1-50 for each character instead of 1-10, although it doesn't allow for ties. 10 stars is just not enough fine grain to judge all the characters in, how do you rate the usefulness of a 1* comparatively to other 1*s without totally screwing your other ratings? Does IM35 rate 5 stars, even if I put half the 2* characters at 4 and below? Does OBW deserve less than 10 stars? She is a top notch 2* character, but is she really better than, say, 3* Daken (whom I gave 7 stars)?

Maybe if it was broken down by star tier, as separate questions. Or maybe if it was a scale of 1-20 instead of 1-10. Or maybe I just don't like ties for "best" of anything. I want to be able to rank this guy number 1 and that guy number 2 without forcing everyone else to be 8 stars or below to do that.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Options
    adamLmpq wrote:
    I shared this with a few friends who have somewhat more limited rosters and they brought up a good point: There are many characters they don't have much experience using and aren't really qualified to rank. Would there be any way to set it up so a person could NOT rank a character and have it not weigh against that character's total score?

I feel like even if you do not have certain characters, the players that care enough to fill out a survey should still have a rough idea of how a character is based on abilities and fighting them. I did include the length of time played and roster strength questions as a way of potentially splitting out the data in addition to having a main ranking. it might be interesting to see how a 2* roster person values the 3* characters they are trying to acquire.