This Isn't Fun

Comments

• Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Coming back to OP, i have noticed the sentries get a lot more cascades because of their swarm and board movement. Which is crazy. And those Critical tiles from the Gunners are overpowered. They should only place 1 critical tile. Not 2.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oldboy wrote:
    Coming back to OP, i have noticed the sentries get a lot more cascades because of their swarm and board movement. Which is crazy. And those Critical tiles from the Gunners are overpowered. They should only place 1 critical tile. Not 2.

I would be happy if they didn't have the ability to swap tiles! I understand the aspect of their abilities: 1 Sentry's passive for certain amount of special tiles but they ruin all forms of puzzle solving when they simply match those wonderful cascade tiles then heal themselves!
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Why are people complaining about this event!
    This is the best thing D3 has done since DPD! Don't discourage the devs from doing new things, especially when they are way better than normal PvEs.

Before the event started The devs stated in the sticked Ultron Topic that people should be in a 20 person alliance that plays daily if they expect to beat all the rounds. So everyone, that visits the forums, should have known that a 5 or 6 person alliance wasn't going to cut it.

This event has been amazing. Ultron is a cool boss to fight, and yes as you get to later rounds his drop tiles are a huge damage move. The new goons are cool to fight too. Its something new. Not the same old Bring OBW to ensure a CD never goes off. Now you have mix things up. Protect tiles are amazing for fighting them. Spidey, Cage, Bullseye are good examples.

Personally if all PvEs were this way I'd be much more excited about playing PvEs

EDIT: added clarification on who "everyone" is
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    eaise wrote:
    Because I should be playing the same event other people at my level are, not one that's scaled so much higher.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    eaise wrote:
    Because I should be playing the same event other people at my level are, not one that's scaled so much higher.
    No you shouldn't.
    You're an evil vet and must be punished for having the gall to level your chars.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    eaise wrote:
    This is the best thing D3 has done since DPD! Don't discourage the devs from doing new things, especially when they are way better than normal PvEs.

Before the event started The devs stated in the sticked Ultron Topic that people should be in a 20 person alliance that plays daily if they expect to beat all the rounds. So everyone, that visits the forums, should have known that a 5 or 6 person alliance wasn't going to cut it.

This event has been amazing. Ultron is a cool boss to fight, and yes as you get to later rounds his drop tiles are a huge damage move. The new goons are cool to fight too. Its something new. Not the same old Bring OBW to ensure a CD never goes off. Now you have mix things up. Protect tiles are amazing for fighting them. Spidey, Cage, Bullseye are good examples.

Personally if all PvEs were this way I'd be much more excited about playing PvEs

We're not complaining. We're encouraging the devs to fun-balance our opponents like they do with Xforce, Spidey, Sentry, etc. and for our opponents to experience the scaling they give us. That's balancing right? icon_e_wink.gif
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    So far I like the concept of the event, but not necessarily the execution. It feels like more grind, and more work for possible less rewards than a normal PVE.

I like the concept of the Ultron fight. I like his Sentries on an individual level.

But some of the fights are just so long and time consuming. Honestly, I think I'd find it more fun if the event was reversed: Ultron was just an endless node that only ended when your team wiped on him. The essentials were standard nodes that let you go back in again.

And it seems weird to me to have a big promotional event tied into an event that is built for 20 person alliances.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    My scaling is off the charts as well. If those freakin gunners get off a core meltdown, someone is dying, there's no getting around it, someone is down. It was fun at first, but by round 6 it's just the same PvE frustration I've been fighting to stay interested in for months now.

All that said, I have come up with a few good strategies I'll share with you fine folks. So far I've managed to hit Ultron as many times as possible per round, and have cleared all the survival nodes and taken down the first 5 Prime battles. They did not all go smoothly. But my roster is deep, and here's how I've been able to cope with their cheaty-face robot butts:

Survival nodes - The essential character is either a boon (Cap, Thor, Widow, Hulk, M40) or a HUGE handicap (Quicksilver, Hawkeye). Go into the fight with this in mind, if you are forced to take QS or Clint, consider letting them tank as much as possible to get them out of your way. Captain America is your best friend for these nodes. He's very difficult to stop once he gets his powers rolling. The best partner I've found for him is Kamala Khan. Her passive plus Caps self feeding skills makes you practically invincible in the longer matches. I've also had considerable success with Hulk/Lthor/GSBW. So many green feeders, so many sniper rifles.

Ultron - I've experimented with many teams, but nothing seems to work better than Xforce/Iron Fist and either Deadpool (his red is great to whittle him down) or Modern Hawkeye. Take a +2 purple boost in and go for Fists purple power. Surgical Strike takes black in these fights, so flooding the board with black tiles then using SS will often one shot Ultron. Another tactic that works is IW. She can lock his bombs, or if you have the green saved up, can lock the tiles adjacent to his bombs, then blow them up. Be careful if you go this route however, lock the bombs before they get too close to the bottom. They will detonate even after he goes down if a cascade takes them there.

Prime battles - oh man. I got LIT UP the first time I tried these battles. I took on Prime first. Big, big, HUGE mistake. Take down the goons first. If there's a Gunner, he's your primary target. Fighters are next on the list. The healers can be ignored, they really don't do jack until you start hitting them. My team of choice here has been Lthor, Hulk and GSBW or Fury. Let Hulk tank as much as possible to get anger tiles, you want to be Clapping as often as possible to control their special tiles. Matching purple to get BW going is also key. Learn the pattern sniper rifle makes, it's a huge nuke that can also remove many of the special tiles. Also, take solace in the fact that these are one-and-done battles. Not having to grind these is a Godsend.
  • Ultron should have increasing health (not level) as the event progresses so that you can do more damage to him. It wouldn't make it any more difficult because if you can't do enough for his full lifebar you're still in the same scenario and if you can do better than his current life bar you almost always want to continue the fight even if it increases the risk of losing since that's where the real reward is.

The essentials refresh on 9am, 5pm, and 1am PST regardless of their status to you. You can sneak in an extra clear on Ultron if your essentials and Ultron node is refreshing soon by waiting for the Ultron node to refresh first instead of using up an essential when they refreshed.

I'd have thought this was a good opportunity to make all the nodes static level with persistent damage so that a weaker player can just try more than once to beat the essentials and then get another shot at Ultron. Ultron Prime can probably be scaled just because he'd otherwise be impossible if he's intended to be hard for max rosters and it's a one time fight anyway (well, 8X1 time). The Ultron Sentries get really hard once they've even a small level advantage on you since their specials are pretty much unpreventable. I'm starting to see boards where you're just going to have say a total 200 strike 300 attack strength no matter what you did and while that's manageable, you don't have to add much to that number before it quickly becomes not manageable.

It seems to me this event would make a lot of sense as an additional purchase that you can do on your own time (scaled to something reasonable for one person in scope of course).
  • Punisher5784
    eaise wrote:

People are complaining for a number of reasons. The devs keep releasing broken events on a Friday then disappearing for the weekend. I like the concept and I'm glad they can bring something new but it is clear that this was rushed out the door to coincide with the release of Avengers 2. Most of the complaints are also because we missed the first 4 waves, so trying something new on wave 4 and 5 is not fun after a few nodes.

I agree that I am enjoying trying to come up with new teammates to counteract the new enemies, I wrote an earlier post in the thread to explain this. I just feel if they had more time to work on this event to make it more balanced it would of been amazing as you call it.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    It sure doesn't help that most of buffed avengers are terrible except for thor, and especially lazycap who is getting triple leaned on with the heroic, ultron, and pvp.

It's a stark reminder that they don't care that Iron Man 40 sucks. Ba-dum tish!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sentry nodes aren't bad once you understand the mechanics, you must keep between 5-7 enemy special tiles on the board.
    Fighters Swarm when less than 5 tiles are on board
    Gunners Meltdown when there are more than 7
    keep within that range and youll have no problems
  • eaise wrote:

Before anything else, bear in mind that I'm not complaining, just pretty darned anxious about something I tend to do for fun...

Speaking only to my experience, and not even taking into consideration that the forum crowd might represent 0.001% of the total playing audience, even if you have a good (or in my case, pretty freakin' great) alliance, it is remarkably tough to feel good when it is being made so clear how useless your roster is.

Frankly, I would argue that having a good alliance might make it even worse for a newer or weaker (me, admittedly) player. I am number 20 out of 20, and unless I make some DRASTIC changes, I'm going to remain there. That's just awesome.

I'm new to the group, trying the best I can to pull my weight with a 2* roster, and I'm doing virtually nothing in this event.

Sure, the idea is awesome. Hard to argue with variety. But coming on the heels of all the, "Making things better for weaker players" blah blah blah? Uhm, yeah, no. Not-so-much.

Just hoping I'm still part of an alliance when all is said and done. All that said, this is a game I play on my phone, so yeah, perspective can be pretty sweet. icon_e_wink.gif

Cheers.

DBC
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards

People are complaining for a number of reasons. The devs keep releasing broken events on a Friday then disappearing for the weekend. I like the concept and I'm glad they can bring something new but it is clear that this was rushed out the door to coincide with the release of Avengers 2. Most of the complaints are also because we missed the first 4 waves, so trying something new on wave 4 and 5 is not fun after a few nodes.

I agree that I am enjoying trying to come up with new teammates to counteract the new enemies, I wrote an earlier post in the thread to explain this. I just feel if they had more time to work on this event to make it more balanced it would of been amazing as you call it.

There was actually nothing broken about the event itself. It's running perfectly when in game. The problem was that the servers were overloaded because so many people were trying to get on at the same time. That's how online gaming goes when there's something big. You get used to the more times you go around the block.
  • Punisher5784
    scottee wrote:

There was actually nothing broken about the event itself. It's running perfectly when in game. The problem was that the servers were overloaded because so many people were trying to get on at the same time. That's how online gaming goes when there's something big. You get used to the more times you go around the block.

I used a poor choice in wording and I agree with your statement. My main argument is that this event was simply rushed. With more careful time and planning, it could have been more well received.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    JamesV wrote:
    So far I like the concept of the event, but not necessarily the execution. It feels like more grind, and more work for possible less rewards than a normal PVE.

I like the concept of the Ultron fight. I like his Sentries on an individual level.

But some of the fights are just so long and time consuming. Honestly, I think I'd find it more fun if the event was reversed: Ultron was just an endless node that only ended when your team wiped on him. The essentials were standard nodes that let you go back in again.

And it seems weird to me to have a big promotional event tied into an event that is built for 20 person alliances.

When the event was announced this is how I understood it: you were going to wipe on ultron over and over, and kill of the easy subs to go back in. So yeah, you'd have to use health packs on your main vs Ultron team or two, but you'd be able to get back there easily.

Instead, you need health packs for EVERYTHING. I'm not quite sure how to run the PVP at the same time as this, since I'm going to need LCap and LThor for almost every fight in both events.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:

I used a poor choice in wording and I agree with your statement. My main argument is that this event was simply rushed. With more careful time and planning, it could have been more well received.

I don't know, by their own admission, they spent months on this. Somehow, they always miss the big picture.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:

I don't know, by their own admission, they spent months on this. Somehow, they always miss the big picture.

It's easy to spend months on this when each round takes a couple of hours. But you only have one round! Except when your alliance beats ultron, so then you have another. Or when the rounds rotate in the 8 hours, then you have another. This is the longest grind I think I've ever done, and we're barely 24 hours in. And you need 20 people to be on that grind.

Test time could have easily been months just to play this thing.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I fully agree with the OP. If the alliance were not depending on everyone participating, I probably would back on out this event. I wonder if the next one will be exactly the same...

These are the worst mobs, seriously making me miss the ninjas. Maybe that was their goal? If they couldn't move **** around or have swarm, at least you'd have a chance of trying to control the board and work within their passives.

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like each essential is the required character + Luke Cage. So the fights are super repetitive, since you fight the same mobs over and over with basically the same team. I can't imagine surviving long without a guaranteed protect tile, considering even trying to use Spider Man (if I had ever received purple...) the tiles would just be swarmed/matched away pretty fast. And it takes forever to get Cap's blue up, and then the shields leftover would be destroyed anyways. So...same 3 mobs over and over, with same team? Thanks...

I was exciting about this event, but thus far boring fights, every token, including the daily, only yielding 2*s, and knowing that soon the fights will be annoying, and pretty much about wipe out whatever team you bring in (currently on phase 6), I just hope they rework this whole thing. It was a great concept. Great reward idea. But there needs to be more to do and more things to fight.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    edited April 2015
    fmftint wrote:
    Sentry nodes aren't bad once you understand the mechanics, you must keep between 5-7 enemy special tiles on the board.
    Fighters Swarm when less than 5 tiles are on board
    Gunners Meltdown when there are more than 7
    keep within that range and youll have no problems

5 red Cage is the MVP for sentry nodes. Been using Cage/Required/XF for every survival node and have yet to run out of healthpack.png. XF/Hulk/Fist for UPrime.
    I'm a vet and I haven't had any issues with the high scaling, though I understand this pve is probably favoring those with big rosters. My one gripe is that we're competing with our own alliance for the early round points, have yet to see if that prevents anyone from getting a final progress reward.

I thought we disliked seeing noob rosters in the top ten of PvE? Now there's a reason to level maybe? Anyways, round 7 and it's still pretty fun for me.

Edit: My scaling for round 7
    QS1 129-163
    QS2 159-159
    IM 124-163
    Hulk 114-125
    Cap 181-182

Ultron lvl350
    Ultron Prime #7 @208 and #8 @212