Changes to Versus Matchmaking [Update]

Comments

• Nooneelsesname
    Nooneelsesname Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    gamar wrote:
    At least with PvE the people complaining about 2* rosters having it easy kind of have a point just because scaling at 350+ is so freaking brutal, but given that 2* rosters simply aren't dominating top PvE placement (nor have they ever) that's mostly blowing smoke too

Goto the Thick as Thieves alliance ranking tab, Top ranked. Select the score of the top alliance in TaT, We are Groot, you won't find any 270 xforces or 166 3*s. Randomly select any of the top 10 alliances and look at rosters. The vast majority are all new and underdeveloped rosters. No blowing smoke, just fact.

I think its great these guys are doing so well in pve. Honestly, part of the reason you don't see the same vet alliances dominate pve leaderboards that dominate PvP is burnout. If you've been playing over 400 days the novelty of grinding for 5 days is gone. However, the 320+ leveled ares\venom\hood has more to do with it. People new to the game those grinds are fresh to them and don't suffer from MPQ burnout as much nor have as insane scaling.

You are wrong about our roster composition.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2015
    MarCr wrote:
    jtvincible wrote:
    What Will is either missing or choosing to ignore is the fact that the top players invested time and significant amounts of money into their roster in order to achieve a competitive advantage. Yes, I can still score and place highly by devoting more time than the other people who have the same high end rosters that I do. But the whole point of INVESTING time and money is to get some return on that investment. The return I'm getting now is a never ending grind against other max rosters, and it's even worse in pve, where my max roster does nothing beneficial except give me level 350 juggernauts to fight. For PvP, there is actually a very simple solution. Remove any sort of matchmaking algorithm. You can queue anyone who is within X% of your own score, regardless of roster. Period. To prevent weaker rosters from feeling ganged up on, set a maximum point loss based on current score, which would be almost zero below 300, and still very low below 600 (this seems to already be in place, or in the process of implementation). The specifics of what I'm suggesting are flexible of course, but this shouldn't be that hard. High end rosters SHOULD have it easier than lower level rosters. That's the whole point.

Top players don't buy cover packs. That's the elephant in the room here.

I agree with jt here. I'm not interested in the endgame if all I have to look forward to are insanely long and monotonous battles with jugs, venom, etc [insert any hp tank]. I am a 2-3 transitioner and honestly, the game is starting to become boring and tedious even at this mid-stage lvl -- I'd hate to think it just gets worse. As for top players earning their covers rather than buying packs, I really don't care. For now I just want mpq to be fun again and to look forward to my mpq experience getting better as I progress, not worse.
  • Nooneelsesname
    Nooneelsesname Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    MarCr wrote:
    jtvincible wrote:
    What Will is either missing or choosing to ignore is the fact that the top players invested time and significant amounts of money into their roster in order to achieve a competitive advantage. Yes, I can still score and place highly by devoting more time than the other people who have the same high end rosters that I do. But the whole point of INVESTING time and money is to get some return on that investment. The return I'm getting now is a never ending grind against other max rosters, and it's even worse in pve, where my max roster does nothing beneficial except give me level 350 juggernauts to fight. For PvP, there is actually a very simple solution. Remove any sort of matchmaking algorithm. You can queue anyone who is within X% of your own score, regardless of roster. Period. To prevent weaker rosters from feeling ganged up on, set a maximum point loss based on current score, which would be almost zero below 300, and still very low below 600 (this seems to already be in place, or in the process of implementation). The specifics of what I'm suggesting are flexible of course, but this shouldn't be that hard. High end rosters SHOULD have it easier than lower level rosters. That's the whole point.

Top players don't buy cover packs. That's the elephant in the room here.

I agree with jt here. I'm not interested in the endgame if all I have to look forward to are insanely long and monotonous battles with jugs, venom, etc [insert any hp tank]. I am a 2-3 transitioner and honestly, the game is starting to become boring and tedious even at this mid-stage game -- I'd hate to think it just gets worse. As for top players earning their covers rather than buying packs, I really don't care. For now I just want mpq to be fun again and to look forward to my mpq experience getting better as I progress, not worse.

With the PvP changes, it will get worse. Much, much worse.

It was exciting to "graduate" into PvP after putting a lot of thought, time and effort in PvE. Was going to have a chance to get those 4* covers more than once a week (Which I only got because of Top 2 placements).

Now? Nope. Three seed teams and then 290/166/166 and wiping before getting 200 points. With everyone around me on the leaderboard (who I should be fighting) having a 2* roster. It's terrible.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    With the PvP changes, it will get worse. Much, much worse.

It was exciting to "graduate" into PvP after putting a lot of thought, time and effort in PvE. Was going to have a chance to get those 4* covers more than once a week (Which I only got because of Top 2 placements).

Now? Nope. Three seed teams and then 290/166/166 and wiping before getting 200 points. With everyone around me on the leaderboard (who I should be fighting) having a 2* roster. It's terrible.

I'm agreeing with you here. If your experience is going to be my (or any transitioner's) experience, what's the point? Yes, the changes helped those at my lvl, but anyone with an eye to the future can see the rocky road ahead.
  • Ok, been playing the revised system and it is worse than the previous system. In your last attempt, I was hit after 400 points, now I am getting hit below 300 points. This is ridiculous to the extreme. Your newer system is broken and you are now punishing long standing players. If you are interested in protecting new players, then reduce how many points they lose in a match, and stop messing with the match ups on long standing players (some of which are paying customers). This is something I will seriously consider quitting pvp over.
  • AE_Fios
    AE_Fios Posts: 39
    I guess I don't really understand the point of playing anymore. I can't get better...if I do the game just gets harder. The scale already forced me to quit PVE months ago. So why bother transitioning from 3 star to 4? It's just going to make PVP matchmaking worse. Climbing in the Simulator is just as hard. Why am I battling 270s at 150 points for 1 star covers? I think I'm just hanging in there because I don't want to let my alliance down and I just dropped some money into the last sale and feel silly now.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Current MMR doesn't work. Yeah I am in top50 now with my 2* roster but that is only 350 points and all I see is 166-277 guys. That probably because all those 166-277 guys also can't climb higher.... near top placement is cool and all, but progression rewards also matters... especially for season 10x packs.
  • I'm early in 2* -> 3* and was going to really try for the 10-pack this season. Normally if I can put in some matches near the end of an event, I could land around 400 points. Looks like that won't be happening this time.

Currently I'm sitting on a roster with max level 94 (2* OBW, Thor, Daken, Wolverine, Ares, Storm, HT, and Magneto), with a Hulk boosted to 115 for the event. At rank #103 and 235 (235!) points in the current event, I was offered the following bloodbaths to sacrifice my 2*s on:
    222 Hulk / 166 3*Thor / 166 Daken
    183 Hulk / 166 Hood / 245 XF
    290 Hulk / 166 3*Thor / 166 Spidey
    290 Hulk / 221 XF / 114 Black Panther
    254 Hulk / 153 Loki / 166 Patch
    275 Hulk / 166 Capt America / 142 Patch
    271 Hulk / 166 Iron Man / 153 Mohawk
    178 Hulk / 166 GSBW / 166 Hood
    290 Hulk / 166 Hood / 166 3*Thor
    290 Hulk / 231 XF / 166 Capt America
    290 Hulk / 166 Grocket / 100 Capt Marvel
    290 Hulk / 132 GSBW / 166 Psylocke
    210 Hulk / 152 Blade / 168 XF
    290 Hulk / 290 GT / 270 XF <-- ****
    254 Hulk / 95 Spidey / 130 GSBW <-- maybe winnable?
    290 Hulk / 166 Grocket / 100 Capt Marvel
    243 Hulk / 130 Spider-man / 153 Punisher
    290 Hulk / 177 XF / 166 Daken
    290 Hulk / 166 Blade / 250 XF
    254 Hulk / 153 Loki / 166 Patch
    290 Hulk / 140 Capt America / 166 Hood

That's 21 matches in a row where the lowest average level seen was 160, compared to my 101 after boosting. Not a single team - not one! - with a 2* character in it, which is the best I can bring to the table.

This isn't an issue of me "topping out" in the bracket. There are 3 players visible in my ranking page that have max-94 2* rosters. Players who I could play against and possibly win. Why, in 21 matches, have I not seen a single one?

If I finish in my current rank, #103, I'll get... an Ares cover, which I don't need. Maybe if I keep dumping ISO into skips I can get the 300 progression reward and hope to draw a 3* cover. Certainly 400, which used to be doable with health packs and a good run, is out of the question, so my source of PvP HP is gone.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    *sigh* Here are some facts:

The first time slices typically sucks. Playing PVP too early typically sucks. You all are combining both of those and trying to judge the new system. Settle down and see how it goes when the rest of the player base jumps in to contribute points.

Don't listen to the hype, having a good roster is always helpful. Many of the actual 4* folks chimed in a page or two ago about that...
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Reporting in from the 2nd PvP.

Similar to the first, once the seed teams have been despatched it's straight into lvl 94 territory or there abouts.
    On the plus side, after the 2nd round i think there was odd lowish 3*/4*.

This change means it takes longer to reach the same amount of points. However i may have hit 400-500 with enough time/health packs.
  • action711
    action711 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Yah, its now really hard after the seed teams, can't be bothered, well done Demiurge. Might be asking for my money back, it's not the game I bought into...
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Dauthi wrote:
    *sigh* Here are some facts:

The first time slices typically sucks. Playing PVP too early typically sucks. You all are combining both of those and trying to judge the new system. Settle down and see how it goes when the rest of the player base jumps in to contribute points.

Don't listen to the hype, having a good roster is always helpful. Many of the actual 4* folks chimed in a page or two ago about that...

Reporting from shard 3 just joined:
    (if no number by name assume max)
    Hulk/Patch/Daken 30 pts (highest point total I see), retal probable
    Hulk(220)/Cage/XForce 30 pts, retal probable
    Hulk/Steve/GSBW 22 pts, retal probable
    Hulk/Thor/Hood(130) 24 pts, retal probable
    Hulk(268)/DP(127)/XForce(229), 29 pts, retal probable
    Hulk(245)/XForce(188)/Thor(140) 24 pts, retal probable
    Hulk/Pun/Spiderman 25pts, retal probable
    Hulk/Patch/Daken 30 pts, retal probable
    Hulk(243)/Patch/Spiderman. 26 pts, retal probable
    Hulk/Groot/Xforce(213) 40 pts
    woohoo! Finally one I can attack without probable retal! Now I only need to do that another 20 times to reach 800! This is gonna be sooooooo easy...oh wait health packs...
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    *Update* Post match
    Both Hulk and Thoress below 1/2 health, 2 health packs needed

at this rate i can do 2.5 matches every 3 hrs (time until full health pack regen)
    at an average of 30 pts per match = 75 pts per health pack regen
    75pts/3hrs = 25 pts an hr
    800/25 = 32 matches to reach 800 pts
    so 32 hrs of game play to reach 800 pts give or take a few hrs depending on retals and higher point matches....

so basically I have to devote myself to this game and forgo unimportant things like work, college, and family in order to get a 3* progression...so glad they finally balanced this!

This is the reality that you 2-3*s have to look forward to as you improve your rosters. Please join us up here guys! I swear the grass is greener**

**These statements not supported by the FDA, CDC, MPQ, GHB, FBI or any other acronym I can think of**
  • Seriously, what is this ****?

I joined the latest PVP about 45 mins ago. I finished the 3 seed teams, but got a call before I collected the iso reward on the 3rd battle. I click through no more than 2 minutes later and I've already been attacked. ****????

I click through my next matches and it's a wall of 166/290s already. Boosted Hulks mean every match take an age, and there's no way to come out unscathed. What a bunch of ****
  • Mathrim
    Mathrim Posts: 63 Match Maker
    I'm playing mpq over 500 days.

I think You guys from d3p with each dumb change of mmr are destroying the game. You are doing the game unplayable for most players. You are only waiting for more $$$$, and each change is bringing more?? You only don't see that experienced players that have always spend much cash to the game are leaving. I saw last weeks many good players that are stopping playing.

Soon You will left there alone without money, because nobody will want spend money to something that don't works and don't make fun anymore.
  • The last PvP. Matchmaking was great again.
    Now you've gone and messed it up again in the hulk PvP
    I'm seriously thinking of quitting this game as u r ruining it. I've spent money to get a good xf so I can compete. Spent countless hours building my roster. Beginners all have to go through the same growing pains we all went through. This is plain ridiculous.

How am I facing maxed out teams from the get go. None sense. Absolute none sense.
  • I forgot to add. Don't forget simulator ad for well. Matchmaking there is **** as well.
  • i dont get it why the 1 page people praise these change icon_lol.gif

but i agree with above, i also see 290/166/166 after first 3 seed.
  • I didn't think the versus matchmaking could get any worse than what I saw in Heavy Metal PvP, but I stand, or should I say I am thinking of quitting MPQ corrected. Why are all these attempts at a different system being thrown into the middle of a season and not run on a simulator for a while instead. It would be apparent from the get-go "oh wow, ya F"d up, check it out... all I can see after the 3 seed teams is max hulk/max 3* or 4*/max 3* or 4*". Can we please just maybe think about creating a new type of play aside from Versus/Story instead of constantly trying to fix something that isn't broken. So another event passes, where I have no desire to throw myself into a match with Hulk at near 20,000 hit points and my season rank plummets where as I was top 10 in my season bracket just 1 pvp ago. *Yawn* - #Leave the game alone. Yes I can win every match I enter with my roster. Do I want to spend 10 minutes per match trying to KO a super Hulk using the same 3 characters over amd over because thats the only team that will get the job reliably done: Absolutely Not!! icon_e_sad.gif
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Have to agree with just about everyone here, after seed teams I'm facing maxed 3* teams, even in LRs, also reducing the number of boosts we can use and if I beat a lvl 295 Juggs in PVE and get a Tu from it its only a lvl 40 Tu, I think all these changes have made the game a lot harder and a lot less fun