Winfinite Users - please respond within!

Options
13»

Comments

• GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It will be harder to use with the changes, but honestly I don't think the nerf will completely kill winfinite.
    Yeah, it looks like the Devs wanted to disrupt it a bit, but not kill it entirely. So with that in mind, I think I may not post how effective I am with it when the changes come about. Reworks are dangerous things. mnMags may have come out this one fine or even better, but Mystique doesn't need even another small hit. I think the Devs will have made it likely enough to fizzle out, which should greatly limit the number of people who will abuse it.

Also, with all the people complaining that they won't be able to make a match-5 without 5(!) bluetile.png placed tiles, I think I'm changing my mind about Winfinite a little. Yes, it theoretically breaks the core mechanics of the game and that's a big design problem. But practically speaking, what % of the player base will use it if it's no longer ~100% guaranteed?

In any case, if it still works and it's not trivial to perform, I'm keeping my mouth shut this time.
  • Just as an experiment last Gaunlet I did the entire third sub with a level 94 Mystique/Magneto and 1* Storm, besides nodes that was locked, or an essential replaced Storm. Every team was full 395, I used no boosts, and I beat most nodes my first try, only failing the Doom node more than once. That seems pretty overpowered to me.
  • Nothing was broken, core mechanics were fine, nobody abused anything.
  • RIP Magstorm
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I finally lost with Winfinite! On that last day too. Toward the beginning of the 3rd Gauntlet sub, don't remember which node. Trying to rush through and finish it all tonight before the update.
  • I thought it was fine. I mean you need a decent purple board for winfinite. This aint CMag/Patch by any stretch of the imagination. You still need a strong 3rd user like BP/Xforce/Cage. For PVE was hit or miss sometimes especially with no purple. For PVP... forget about it. Sure you can beat a high level team but you get attack so much it doesn't even matter. The nerfing is stupid.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, I think I figured out why they got rid of Wininfinite. The devs say its not fun...well, its not but they point of target is wrong. Wininfinite is not fun for the DEVS. We all like it because it gives us a chance against overpowered nodes 70-90% of the time without taking a significant beating. They don't like it because if we don't take a significant beating each node, therefore we will never use all of our characters (remember that whole roster diversity thing they were spouting a while back). Also, if you aren't using all your characters, you have no reason to buy multiple covers (if you already have the cover) or buy packs or HP (if you don't have the cover so that you will have to fight for it with shields, health packs and boosts). If you keep such mechanics in play, one only needs to max out certain characters and can reasonably win where ever they want (XF and TGT for a while, now it will be XF and someone else). Also, they got rid of the Stormneto because it also did a similar thing for the 2-->3* transition. The harder you make it for them, the easier it is for them to start buying packs so that they get 3* covers which they will then have to build up. So in conclusion, it is all about the chaching!!
  • After playing the boosted Prof X in the last PVE, I now don't think they were actually nerfing Magstique: I think they realized that making match-5s with MNMags and triggering Prof X's blue was going to become the latest game-ruining combo.

Been using Magstique today to run the Gauntlet nodes where D3 didn't block it - going to really miss this team once the update happens.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So I just played the Winfinite team without realize the change had been pushed live.

This is purely anecdotal and 1 match for sure does not equal "data", but I destroyed the AI. It's possible I just got lucky with tiles, but the extra red was definitely noticeable and fueled a LOT more Magnetic Flux's, which kept me in plenty of AP of various colors.

So far, Winfinite seems unaffected against goons.

Maybe next time I get the chance I'll throw in my Prox X with 1 Blue and see how that feels.