The 1000 Point Challenge

Comments

• Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    The issue is if you have, say, 6-8 fully covered 3* chars, but NOT Patch, Daken, or Hood. Is 1000 still a viable target? If not, the primary and reasonable 4* progression is effectively gated not by the quality of your 3* roster, but by whether or not you have specific characters.

I would say it's tougher, but doable... There are a lot of good 3*'s not named patch/daken/hood... Climb with characters like: deadpool/Panther/mystique/doom/loki... And finish with characters like blade/fist/cage/cmags... Those 4 are strong enough, with the right feature character, that I think it could be done... But the way patch covers were handed out when he came out of the vault, I doubt anyone that lacks a maxed patch has a maxed blade... I might be willing to guinea pig for y'all during the daredevil pvp, but that means I got to sink some ISO into dd...
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Salgy wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    The issue is if you have, say, 6-8 fully covered 3* chars, but NOT Patch, Daken, or Hood. Is 1000 still a viable target? If not, the primary and reasonable 4* progression is effectively gated not by the quality of your 3* roster, but by whether or not you have specific characters.

I would say it's tougher, but doable... There are a lot of good 3*'s not named patch/daken/hood... Climb with characters like: deadpool/Panther/mystique/doom/loki... And finish with characters like blade/fist/cage/cmags... Those 4 are strong enough, with the right feature character, that I think it could be done... But the way patch covers were handed out when he came out of the vault, I doubt anyone that lacks a maxed patch has a maxed blade... I might be willing to guinea pig for y'all during the daredevil pvp, but that means I got to sink some ISO into dd...

alright... i guinea pigged my theory for y'all... here are the hard facts:

Time slice: Slice 1
    When you joined: with just less than 20 hours left
    Your team composition throughout your climb: used several 3*'s up to 650ish points: blade, deadpool, mystique, thor, black panther, psylocke, punisher... at 650, i put in iron fist & luke cage
    Points at which you shielded: Shielded at 825
    Number of matches per hop: 2
    HP spent: 300 - 3 hour/8 hour/3 hour
    Did you actually reach 1000 points?: no

notes: my only self-imposed stipulations, based on the discussion above was: limit roster to 3* or lower; and patch, hood & daken were not available for use... my initial climb, getting from 650 to 875ish with fist/cage/dd was relatively easy... at 875ish, i got hit twice, lost 50ish points total, got scared & shielded with a 3 hour shield... queued up matches, and went in again... won 2 relatively easy against max dd/xforce/4thor... tried to go for a third, won the match, but got nailed at the same time... max score i reached was 925ish, but got knocked back to 865ish... threw up an 8 hour shield & went to bed... queued up another set of matches & went in for it this morning, there was about an hour left in the time slice at this point (and i hate going in that close to the end), so i just went for 2 matches... won them both for 76 points, but lost 46 in attacks at the same time... threw up a shield to preserve my score and called it a day... final score was 881... looking back, this was an interesting experience & i would like to try it again... i think in my situation, the overall match times were slower due to lower damage output and i was staying unshielded longer than normal... at higher levels, with weaker characters, you really need to stick to more hops with less matches... i was a little scared the first time i faced a max team, but was able to dispatch them with relative ease using +3 b/g, +3 b/p, +3 rainbow to get me started... all in all, i think that if i had started earlier, i would have been able to use another 8hr & possibly another 3hr shield, and limited my matches per hop, i could have hit 1000... max score i was able to achieve (but not maintain) was 925ish (twice)

tl;dr - Can a 3* roster lacking hood, daken & patch hit the 1000 point progression... can it be done? yes, was i successful? not this time... but i am willing to try again!
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Time slice: 3
    When you joined: Entered 15 hours before ending - didn't start playing until 8 hours from ending
    Your team composition throughout your climb: Black Widow/Black Panther; Hulk/Captain America; Blade/3Mags; 3Thor/3Daken; Patch/Loki
    Number of matches per hop: Did not hop
    HP spent: 75 - 3 hour
    Did you actually reach 1000 points?: No

Notes: I wanted to start this event much early but didn't have time. I joined the event and let it sit for 7 hours letting everyone else in my bracket climb to give me higher valued targets when I played.
    When I began to play, my rank was #137 with 0 points. I immediately faced 3* teams (but not maxed) and this continued until 500 points. At that point it was nothing but X-Force/4Thor. I find Patch/Loki to be my most confident winning team so stuck with them mostly.
    After hitting 600 points, I was getting an average of 2 defensive loses each offensive win.
    I put up with this for a while an gained a little progress. My progress bar eventually broke 700 points but when I came out of that match I was attacked back down to 640. I have up at this point and shielded. 30 minutes later I've had 3 incoming attacks losing 0 points.

I'm going to chalk not hitting 1000 points on this on starting too late. I knew I wouldn't have time to do any hopping but still wanted to get a decent score. I didn't really do that either.

I sort of expected there to be not much fighting considering Invisible Woman and GSBWidow being the rewards (not to mention the low morale of the community). I was wrong there. Guess there are folks who need Invisible Woman much more than I do.
  • Salgy wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:

I hit 870 (boosted in fist bump, shielded once at 750-800) once with my teams, but recently can't even hit 725 (without boosts or shield). My teams are:

Thor (lvl153 2/5/5) + Hood (lvl130 5/5/3) and
    Patch (lvl140 4/4/5) and Loki (lvl130 3/5/5)

Am I missing something here? Even though they're not optimally built or leveled, they seem very slow. At 870 points boosted, I was getting hit before I could finish a battle.
    Also is patch + hood better at 5/5/3? TBTI seems like a good red outlet at 4 covers, but 3 seems like it does very little.

I've just been saving my HP to buy hulk blacks (5/2/1 currently), since I will probably get him covered before unvaulting.

If I can hit 1000 with patch hood, I'd rather do that, but they seem slow and unreliable, especially if it's a competitive pvp like xforce or 4thor.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The first time I tried to get 1k in PVP was before I had any usable 4*s. It was kind of a special case, but this is what I did

Event: Cage Match

Climb Team: Patch at 160 (5/3/5), 2* daken at 94 (4/4/5) and Loki at 60 (3/3/5). Loki hides in the background, daken and patch soak all damage. this worked until I started facing 3* teams in the 500s.

Mid-range team Lazy Cap at 153 (3/5/5) and Punisher at 153 (3/5/5). I also sprinkled in my lazy thor (at 140 at the time) and doom (130 at the time) for specific matchups. mixing and matching this way got me from 575 to about 735. that said, I was a fairly tempting target, and did get hit a bunch. I shielded 725, and lined up three good matches that I could take with lazy cap and +3 red boosts. that got me to around 800.

Final hops. At 750+ it was almost all 4*thor teams. All of my usual strategies for fighting enemies with massive health pools are based on ap denial and long matches. that doesn't work for pvp. So I went for fast alpha-strike tactics. boosted +3 green. +3 purple, and +3 all. played with Patch and stormneto. match green, match purple, win. That being said, this team is the most tempting defensive target imaginable, I couldn't afford to spend much time unshielded. I spent hundreds of iso skipping opponents and lining up 40 point matches (lots of checking the leader board to see when the top scores were hopping).

I managed to go from 800 to 1k in 2 hops. First hop was an easy 15 point match and 2 40 pointers. Second hop was 3 super fast 40 point matches. All told I spend less than 6 minutes unshielded on each hop and reached 1k with about 18 hours to spare in the event. total was 3x 3 hour shields, 2x 8 hour shields and 1x 24 hour shields (after reaching 1k, just to lock in the score for my alliance). It was a bit expensive, but worth it at the time for y first 4* thor blue cover (joke's on me now!).

This strategy is obviously not possible except when patch is the featured character.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Kriegerbot wrote:
    I hit 870 (boosted in fist bump, shielded once at 750-800) once with my teams, but recently can't even hit 725 (without boosts or shield). My teams are:

Thor (lvl153 2/5/5) + Hood (lvl130 5/5/3) and
    Patch (lvl140 4/4/5) and Loki (lvl130 3/5/5)

Am I missing something here? Even though they're not optimally built or leveled, they seem very slow. At 870 points boosted, I was getting hit before I could finish a battle.
    Also is patch + hood better at 5/5/3? TBTI seems like a good red outlet at 4 covers, but 3 seems like it does very little.

I've just been saving my HP to buy hulk blacks (5/2/1 currently), since I will probably get him covered before unvaulting.

If I can hit 1000 with patch hood, I'd rather do that, but they seem slow and unreliable, especially if it's a competitive pvp like xforce or 4thor.

Patch/Loki is a slow team. You need 9 green, and 11 black before you can get going, so even if you boost +3 G/B and +3 all, you still need 1 green match and two black matches first. Loki's also slow because Mischief is slow (in real time) to resolve, and if you use Illusions, it also ticks down on the clock.

Same goes for Thor/Hood. Thor needs a 12 yellow at a minimum to get started, although Hood helps a bit with that. If you want speed, Patch/Hulk bombing is the quickest you'll get in 3* land.

Having said that, I've double hopped with LThor/BP before, and they're not a quick duo, but I was using +3 R/G, +3 G/B, and +3 all AP when I did. How long is it taking you to finish a match? If I double hop with LThor/Bp, provided I reshield within about 5 minutes, I usually don't get hit (but not always). The timing of your hop also matters (in terms of time before the event closes). Double hops in peak hours are risky.

I'd run Patch/Loki over Patch/Hood, though. Better synergy. The problem with Patch/Loki or Patch/Hood is health. Hood, even maxed out, is one-shottable by X-Force, and your underlevelled Loki is also one-shottable. You're then left with Patch, who can get taken down by TGT (even post nerf) easily).

I'm guessing you probably have them underlevelled to keep your scaling in check, but underlevelled characters are big targets in PvP.

One last comment - hitting 725 without shields for a pure 3* team is pretty risky. The only times I've been able to do that is with a high levelled featured partner, otherwise, I'm shielding probably just above 700, for my first shield point.
  • I would love to try this challenge. I might just need some pointers from you guys though.

My main guys in PVP are:
    5/3/5 Hulk at 144
    5/1/5 Black Panther at 140
    2/5/4 Thor at 140
    5/3/4 Cap America at 132

Is aiming at 1K a possibility??
  • bdksni1
    bdksni1 Posts: 103
    Here's my experience on Hollowpoint Kiss
    time slice 1
    when i joined 46hrs left
    team composition first climb with 137 5-3-4 hulk / 80 (120 buffed) 5-2-5 gsbw / 137 4-2-5 patch
    for the rest of the event used 166 3-5-5 LCap / 80 (120 buffed) 5-2-5 gsbw /166 5-5-3 hood or 166 5-3-5 loki
    points at where you shielded 600 3hr shield, 670 8hr shield, 723 24 hr shield, 776 and final 3hr shield
    number of matches per hop 2-3
    hp spent 600
    did you actually reach 1000 points No (833)
    last notes: At the very end of the event b(5mins left) broke shield and did 2more matches, would have made 850+ if i hadn't got attacked in the meantime.
    My question is am i underperforming or are these stats considered "normal"?
  • Koko81 wrote:
    I would love to try this challenge. I might just need some pointers from you guys though.

My main guys in PVP are:
    5/3/5 Hulk at 144
    5/1/5 Black Panther at 140
    2/5/4 Thor at 140
    5/3/4 Cap America at 132

Is aiming at 1K a possibility??

The teams I would use with the featured is Hulk and Thor/BP and Cap. As for reaching 1K with that team that depends on your MMR really. If your facing nothing but 166's from start to finish then you will have a heck of a time reaching that high level.
  • I will make the attempt in the Doctor's Orders event for this. However, for fun. I am calling on the community to pick the team/teams that I do this with. For a list of my characters available please click here and submit your vote for my team(s) that I should use.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad Habit from the Crew has hit it a couple of times, including GSBW. Max GSBW/Hulk/Thor was team maybe? (also max Hood/Cap). Has said it costs around 650-800 HP to do it, starts relatively early in event, not sure number of shields (3+ I think, mostly two attacks per shield). I'll see if he'll come fill this info in. I watch with my 5/5/2 550 X-force and still don't quite know how it is possible, I have a hard time finding 166's past 600 points, and without the Thor/X-force I usually can't beat three 166 teams without needing to use at least two health packs. It's nice to know it's possible - wish it wasn't so timing intensive.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    I've done it a few times with a 3* team, because my 4*'s are not viable for PVP yet.

I've done it with 2 shields before. It usually takes 3-4 though.
    I have different teams depending on who I face. It's usually some combo of Patch/Laken/Hulk/Hood/Loki/Mags

I make a run until I get to about 600. Then make another run and drop my first shield. Then I see what happens from their. And I drop some color boosts in along the way if my team is already weakened.
  • morph3us
    bdksni1 wrote:
    Here's my experience on Hollowpoint Kiss
    time slice 1
    when i joined 46hrs left
    team composition first climb with 137 5-3-4 hulk / 80 (120 buffed) 5-2-5 gsbw / 137 4-2-5 patch
    for the rest of the event used 166 3-5-5 LCap / 80 (120 buffed) 5-2-5 gsbw /166 5-5-3 hood or 166 5-3-5 loki
    points at where you shielded 600 3hr shield, 670 8hr shield, 723 24 hr shield, 776 and final 3hr shield
    hp spent 600
    did you actually reach 1000 points No (833)
    last notes: At the very end of the event b(5mins left) broke shield and did 2more matches, would have made 850+ if i hadn't got attacked in the meantime.
    My question is am i underperforming or are these stats considered "normal"?

That's pretty normal for the team that you're using. You probably need to try and set your first shield point a little higher. It should be feasible for you to set your first shield point in the high 600s, low 700s. You then would've ended up clearing 900 points for your 600 HP spend. The other point is that LCap, although he's a PvE powerhouse, is a very slow character for high level PvP play. He plays reasonably on offence, but he's a tempting target on defence, since the AI places the CD tiles from Peacemaker and SSA randomly, which reduces his effectiveness considerably. Also, it's a bad idea with an all 3* team to break shields with 5 minutes left, as there are a lot of people jockeying for position at that stage, and a lot of them are 4* teams who are still climbing.
  • morph3us
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Bad Habit from the Crew has hit it a couple of times, including GSBW. Max GSBW/Hulk/Thor was team maybe? (also max Hood/Cap). Has said it costs around 650-800 HP to do it, starts relatively early in event, not sure number of shields (3+ I think, mostly two attacks per shield). I'll see if he'll come fill this info in. I watch with my 5/5/2 550 X-force and still don't quite know how it is possible, I have a hard time finding 166's past 600 points, and without the Thor/X-force I usually can't beat three 166 teams without needing to use at least two health packs. It's nice to know it's possible - wish it wasn't so timing intensive.

It's possible. As an example of my last run to 1K:

Event: Cage Match
    Time slice: 4
    When you joined: As soon as the event opened. I wanted to give myself enough time to hit 1K.
    Your team composition throughout your climb:
      - Climb to 500 - Patch (166, 4/4/5), R&G (155, 5/3/5), Doom (114, 4/3/2). - Run up after that was with Patch, R&G, BP (166, 5/3/5), which in retrospect was a bad choice. I climbed to about 780, which was definitely overreaching, and got smashed down in my last match by 150 points (100 points of which was by the same person
    icon_evil.gif , but them's the breaks), then climbed back to 680 and dropped my first shield.
    - Shield hopped after that with Patch, R&G, LThor (166, 3/5/5). Initial hop was for three matches, to about 760. Every hop after that was a double, so hopped to 810, then 880, then 960, then 1012. I boosted +3 R/G, +3 G/B, +3 all for this section
    Number of matches per hop: See above
    HP spent: 2x 3 hour shields for 150HP, 2x 8 hour shields for 300HP, 1x 24 hour shield for 300HP (because real life got in the way), total 750HP
    Did you actually reach 1000 points?: Yes

All of my matches above 700 were against teams with TGT, which is why I included R&G, so I had an outlet for the blue AP I was denying. My final match to clear 1K was against IceIX (who was fielding LCap, and someone else I can't remember, but no 4*s) icon_lol.gif My final match to hit 1K was about 7 hours out from the event end, so I finished with an 8 hour shield.

As you say, though, it's timing intensive, and I haven't tried a run since, as I needed to give myself time to restock on boosts, and I haven't had real world time to shield hop so precisely. If I had to redo that run, I'd subby in Loki for Doom, but I didn't have Loki covered properly at the time.

Also, having a fully covered and levelled featured characters helps an awful lot.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Gamora Event - Hulk Bomb
      Time slice :
    When you joined : Mid-event
    Your team composition throughout your climb: Laken+Patch+Gamora then Hulk+Patch+Gamora
    Points at which you shielded: 750 (3hr), 830 (8hr), 947 (3hr), 1042 (8hr)
    Number of matches per hop: 2-3
    HP spent: 450 (less 250 rewards, -200 net)

GSBW Event - Max Sniper Rifle
      Time slice :
    When you joined : Mid-event
    Your team composition throughout your climb: C.Mags+Hood+GSBW
    Points at which you shielded: 760 (3hr), 762 (8hr), 822 (3hr), 947 (8hr) << This is interesting since I won 2 with 10min till end, but both 3 and 8 hour shields were on cooldown... I lost 220pts in the final 8min unshielded after getting my 1,000 progress reward.
    Number of matches per hop: 2
    HP spent: 450
  • bdksni1
    Army of One
    slice 3
    when i joined 38 hrs left
    team compositon 166 3-5-5 LCap / 171 (buffed) 4-5-3 Doom / 166 5-5-3 hood
    Points at which i shielded 850 3hrs shield, 955 8hrs shield
    hp spent225
    Did i actually reach 1000 points? yes (1059) whohooo! popped my cherry on this one lol

report:
    This was a somewhat unusual event for me. I was thinking on climbing only to 725ish and call it a day but as i was making my climb and no retaliations nor attacks appeared i kept pushing until i ran out of health packs. 850, not bad.. Then i realized i had misplaced my shield. It would expire with 10minutes still to go *slaping my face badly*. Waited to refill a few healthpacks and jumped in the pool again. 955 Yes personal best and still the usual last minute push to do. 2 More wins and one deffensive loss ( first match was pretty quick) and grand total of 1059.
    Thank you guys for the tips and for your reports they were very helpful, along with my alliance mates.

sidenote:
    This should be one of the main reasons forums like these exist, mutual learning/helping on a global scale.
    Just a thought about all the madness we've been seeing around lately..
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    turul wrote:
    It is obviusly possible if you can win at least one fight per shield hop quickly enough.

I usually play 2 matches between hops, and spend 2 minutes per match. However, I use xf/ldaken w/ 6gr/bk/blue boosted to knock out a low health character quickly while building up bks for surgical strike.

A match relying on 3 star teams would take me 3-5 minutes per match, and leave me very vulnerable to attacks from other players while making runs. I would consider participating in this experiment once the season is over, b/c I don't want to jeopardize my alliance's standing for in season pvp events. It is definitely doable if you're willing to shell out a lot of iso/hp on boosts every match.
  • Combo77 reached upwards of 1200 points tonight with 2* magneto, 2* storm and a lvl77 (after boosts!) Doom
  • bdksni1
    ark123 wrote:
    Combo77 reached upwards of 1200 points tonight with 2* magneto, 2* storm and a lvl77 (after boosts!) Doom
    Hit him a couple of times for 30+ points during my climb. Thumbs up for him for his achievement and thanks for the "easy" points. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    Combo77 reached upwards of 1200 points tonight with 2* magneto, 2* storm and a lvl77 (after boosts!) Doom

There is obviously a glitch. Combo77 was unshielded for extended period of time, and everyone in my bracket was hitting him but he did not lose any points at all.

He skewed the whole bracelet because the top 10 in my bracket unshielded at the last 15 mins, to hit him.... Including me. And despite having 1300 points, no one hit me at all! Because everyone went for the easy points. It was crazy.

This is another kyip gate.